Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: London 2012 Olympics

(Read 33139 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: London 2012 Olympics
     Reply #180 - July 31, 2012, 02:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcmoRy444MY

Cheesy

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #181 - July 31, 2012, 02:55 PM

LOL

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #182 - July 31, 2012, 02:59 PM

unless i'm missing something (quite possible), this is a false way of looking at things isn't it? so we can say for example that the olympics cost £10bn or so but then again it will generate somewhere around that figure in revenue for the british economy as well. so net it won't have cost the british economy anything or very little - might even turn a profit in fact. the olympics are being held with this in mind.

It also seems to, strangely, rely on the assumption that the Olympic Games just sort of magically materialise when you hand over a big lump sum. But a huge portion of that "oooh, big scary!" amount of money is going to wages for engineers, construction workers, electricians, IT workers, riggers, labourers, cleaners, shopkeepers...

Now, those occupations might not be as glamorous or media worthy or sympathy garnering or emotionally manipulating as doctors and nurses, but they are still good, honest, hard-working lines of work.

Reply #183 - July 31, 2012, 03:21 PM

Women's team gymnastics just starting.  yes

Reply #184 - July 31, 2012, 04:16 PM

Amazing.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #185 - July 31, 2012, 04:31 PM

I reckon the beam has got to be the hardest discipline the women face. Or is that beam wider than I think.

British gymnastics has come on in leaps and bounds, I remember watching British gymnastics about twenty years ago on a Saturday afternoon, and the mum et of gymnast falling off of various apparatus provided me and my mates some of the greatest belly laughs ever.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #186 - July 31, 2012, 04:36 PM

That's a great capture of that moment. It was flawless.

Reply #187 - July 31, 2012, 04:42 PM

I reckon the beam has got to be the hardest discipline the women face. Or is that beam wider than I think.

For sure. It's difficult enough to somersault on a wide square area, let alone on a 4 inch beam.

Reply #188 - July 31, 2012, 05:46 PM

USA were on another level in gymnastics. Absolutely deserved that gold medal.

Reply #189 - July 31, 2012, 06:33 PM

So Michael Phelps is going for most individual gold medals by an olympian or summat like that, personally think that swimmers probably have more chances to win medals than anyone else in any given Olympics. Different lengths, different styles. Like asking the runners to run 100/200 mtrs in different styles, say backwards, or doing windmills whilst running.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #190 - July 31, 2012, 11:21 PM

The first week of sports so far could be v loosely referred to as the white Olympics with an oriental flavour too.

I've not seen a white face yet.

Japanese TV show 97% Japanese competitors, 2% Chinese and 1% Korean.

It's getting a bit annoying.
     Reply #191 - August 01, 2012, 12:18 AM

David - how did they take losing the gold to the Chinese gymnast team? Of course I was talking about the view from Blighty. Most of the sports have been in the pool or the posher ones.  Must be amazing Japan.

Reply #192 - August 01, 2012, 12:38 AM

Reply #193 - August 01, 2012, 03:19 AM

David - how did they take losing the gold to the Chinese gymnast team?

In the men's, their gymnasts made an unfortunate habit of falling off bits of apparatus, and they seemed quite glad to scab a silver on appeal.

The individual event will be interesting. Uchimura, their triple world champion, looks gaunt and nervous.

As, I thought, did Bolt at the opening ceremony.

I fear for both.

Reply #194 - August 01, 2012, 06:00 AM

JFC that's a great landing. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #195 - August 01, 2012, 12:57 PM

unless i'm missing something (quite possible), this is a false way of looking at things isn't it? so we can say for example that the olympics cost £10bn or so but then again it will generate somewhere around that figure in revenue for the british economy as well. so net it won't have cost the british economy anything or very little - might even turn a profit in fact. the olympics are being held with this in mind.

whereas whilst saying money should be spent on hospitals, schools etc. instead is all very noble, the money has to be pumped in knowing that no revenue will be recouped but instead money will continuously have to be poured into those public services. i don't think anyone here is saying that more money shouldn't be spent on public services but saying that money is being spent on olympics when it could be spent on public services is just an incorrect representation of things

I missed this. Your logic is fallacious that we can afford one off huge expenditures because other vital investments are on-going. It's simply a non-argument.

As for predicted revenue, I call bullshit. When the games were first announced they predicted it would cost something like £2.5bn but that we'd recoup that magically through increased trade and temporary jobs or something, since then the bill has quadrupled yet we're still hearing the same argument regarding revenue. It doesn't add up, and the anecdotal evidence collected from my local area is now being echoed around the capital.

It's quite possible that the government has put off turning the screws too hard before the olympics out of fear of public disorder, but will come down hard after the circus rolls out of town. They may as well just keep the troops and pre-emptively implement martial law at this rate.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
     Reply #196 - August 01, 2012, 02:01 PM

As for predicted revenue, I call bullshit. When the games were first announced they predicted it would cost something like £2.5bn but that we'd recoup that magically through increased trade and temporary jobs or something, since then the bill has quadrupled yet we're still hearing the same argument regarding revenue. It doesn't add up, and the anecdotal evidence collected from my local area is now being echoed around the capital.

i think it's difficult to say at this point what kind of revenue the games will generate and we should bear in bind that the games have just got going, i think a boost can be expected when the athletics start. increased revenue from transport/accommodation/retail is just one aspect but also a huge amount will come from ticket sales, tv rights and sponsorship deals. yes, we won't make back the full amount immediately - but it's an investment - the regeneration of a derelict part of London in my view was a necessity - now rather than costs going towards maintaining a derelict part of London, instead it will become a place that people will want to go and see and live in, the regeneration itself will be a boost for the economy in that area. in addition to creating thousand of jobs during the build-up of the games, it will create social housing, more long-term jobs and fantastic sports facilities. the creation of state of the art-sports facilities for our next-generation of kids in that area of London is something that pleases me the most - i know having lived much of my life in Hackney that they will be made good use of. having the games staged in London will also have big long-term benefits in terms of tourism and trade - as has been expreinced by previous cities that have hosted the games.

I missed this. Your logic is fallacious that we can afford one off huge expenditures because other vital investments are on-going. It's simply a non-argument.

well maybe when you put it like that. but i would still contend for example that building new hospital/schools is one thing (as was described in that thing you posted) - but financially speaking the actual long-term running costs of those places is quite another matter altogether. the olympics on the other hand will pay in large part for itself in addition to having several long term economical benefits - and these will be largely in one of the poorest parts of London.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #197 - August 01, 2012, 02:14 PM

i think it's difficult to say at this point what kind of revenue the games will generate and we should bear in bind that the games have just got going, i think a boost can be expected when the athletics start. increased revenue from transport/accommodation/retail is just one aspect but also a huge amount will come from ticket sales, tv rights and sponsorship deals. yes, we won't make back the full amount immediately - but it's an investment - the regeneration of a derelict part of London in my view was a necessity - now rather than costs going towards maintaining a derelict part of London, instead it will become a place that people will want to go and see and live in, the regeneration itself will be a boost for the economy in that area. in addition to creating thousand of jobs during the build-up of the games, it will create social housing, more long-term jobs and fantastic sports facilities. the creation of state of the art-sports facilities for our next-generation of kids in that area of London is something that pleases me the most - i know having lived much of my life in Hackney that they will be made good use of. having the games staged in London will also have big long-term benefits in terms of tourism - as has been expreinced by previous cities that have hosted the games.

A few glorified sports clubs and a tiny fraction of new social housing doesn't justify what some are now saying will end up costing £11bn+. And at what cost in terms of social cleansing in deprived areas?

well maybe when you put it like that. but i would still contend for example that building new hospital/schools is one thing (as was described in that thing you posted) - but financially speaking supplying it with doctors/staff, teachers, supplies/consumables and the actual long-term running costs of those places is quite another matter altogether. the olympics on the other hand will pay in large part for itself in addition to having several long term economical benefits - and these will be largely in one of the poorest parts of London.

What, you mean like giving people permanent jobs to provide essential services if we'd frittered all the money away on schools, hospitals and other non-olympics luxuries? I'm sure we'll find uses for all the stuff we've built, or like the Millennium Dome we'll sell it to Westfield for a quid to fill with expensive chains where local residents can't afford to shop (except the ones who can afford the new homes!).

In other news, Boris gets stuck on a zipwire. Should have left him there.

Reply #198 - August 01, 2012, 02:25 PM

A few glorified sports clubs and a tiny fraction of new social housing doesn't justify what some are now saying will end up costing £11bn+.

no-one is saying that

And at what cost in terms of social cleansing in deprived areas?

social cleansing?
    who's getting evicted again?

What, you mean like giving people permanent jobs to provide essential services if we'd frittered all the money away on schools, hospitals and other non-olympics luxuries? I'm sure we'll find uses for all the stuff we've built, or like the Millennium Dome we'll sell it to Westfield for a quid to fill with expensive chains where local residents can't afford to shop (except the ones who can afford the new homes!).

i'm not saying that we shouldn't spend more on public services - we should. but attacking the costs of the olympics to make that point, is off the mark, i think.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #199 - August 01, 2012, 02:55 PM

social cleansing?
    who's getting evicted again?

... displacement of some of London’s poorest residents in the name of urban regeneration is just one of many issues stoking anger at the all-pervading Olympic spectacle. Critics have gone so far as to decry the treatment of low-income residents around the Olympic park vicinity as “social cleansing”; households on government benefits have been uprooted en masse, while even the modest commitments to the creation of new affordable housing are likely to fall short (fewer than 700 units will be developed for the long waiting list of households reliant on government housing benefits).

[salon.com]

But it's nothing new.

Reply #200 - August 01, 2012, 03:00 PM

Bradley Wiggins is about to do an Olympic - Tour de France double.

You two are squabbling about politics, and I'm watching the quarter finals of the women's judo.

NHK don't appear to have heard of cycling.
     Reply #201 - August 01, 2012, 03:06 PM

Wiggins is incredible. What an achievement.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #202 - August 01, 2012, 03:18 PM

well some greedy landlords have driven up their prices and have evicted their tenants to cash in while the games are on - i do totally agree that more should have been done by the government to stop this rather than just condemning it with words.

Reply #203 - August 01, 2012, 05:11 PM

Olympic Weightlifter's Incredible Take-Down of Sexist Jerks: "We Don't Lift Weights in Order to Look Hot"

Being able to lift 267 pounds is only one of the things that makes 18 year-old British Olympic weightlifter Zoe Smith tough. She can also swat down sexist Twitter trolls like they’re flies.

While Smith was preparing to set an Olympic record for Great Britain in the clean-and-jerk event, men (and some women) on Twitter were busy saying she wasn’t attractive enough, or that she was manly, or that there was something wrong with her body because she was so muscular.

So Smith took to her blog to respond:

"[We] don’t lift weights in order to look hot, especially for the likes of men like that. What makes them think that we even WANT them to find us attractive? If you do, thanks very much, we’re flattered. But if you don’t, why do you really need to voice this opinion in the first place, and what makes you think we actually give a toss that you, personally, do not find us attractive? What do you want us to do? Shall we stop weightlifting, amend our diet in order to completely get rid of our ‘manly’ muscles, and become housewives in the sheer hope that one day you will look more favourably upon us and we might actually have a shot with you?! Cause you are clearly the kindest, most attractive type of man to grace the earth with your presence.

"Oh but wait, you aren’t. This may be shocking to you, but we actually would rather be attractive to people who aren’t closed-minded and ignorant. Crazy, eh?! We, as any women with an ounce of self-confidence would, prefer our men to be confident enough in themselves to not feel emasculated by the fact that we aren’t weak and feeble."

Sexism seems to be almost as common as sweat at this year’s Olympics — which has a record number of women participating — from female boxers being asked to wear skirts to differentiate them from the men to women’s teams taking coach while men’s fly first class.

AlterNet.org
     Reply #204 - August 01, 2012, 05:22 PM

Some great table tennis going on BBC 3.

Reply #205 - August 01, 2012, 07:40 PM

Just catching up on today's gymnastics and boxing. How incredible it is to live in the digital age where you can watch several streams of the Olympics and rewind live. Who'd have imagined that a couple of decades ago.

Still, I'm seriously considering breaking an arm or something so I can stay at home and watch the Olympics all day. Sooo much to see. And it's only day 5.

Reply #206 - August 01, 2012, 09:05 PM

The kids are lucky with the digital age, one reason to get rich growing up in the eighties was to imagine buying every film on videocassette (original) and every CD, vinyl even of record you have liked. Film videos were forty/fifty quid a pop, music albums were 13 quid, just imagine the money it would take to amass such a collection.

Now there is internet.

Bradley Wiggin is one bell of a cyclist, like right there - no one k.own rides a bike faster.

Hoo ha with the badminton teams playing to lose, gotta watch that. They should change it like football had to and the last round of games at the same time.

GB get gold. About time to. Let's hope that worm has turned.

Reply #207 - August 02, 2012, 01:00 AM

Yaayy brits finally got the good. Good for them, Wiggins was amazing

GO PHELPS!!
     Reply #208 - August 02, 2012, 01:49 PM

looking forward to the table tennis, always great fun. can't wait for becky adlingtons final tomorrow.
    just really wishing right now that i had a couple of tickets to any gymnastics event, my 3 year old is always climbing and jumping around the place - he would have loved it.

...and c'mon gemma gibbons in the judo!

Reply #209 - August 02, 2012, 03:33 PM

Congrats Team SA for getting the gold in the lightweight fours in rowing, third gold, that is three times more than we got last olympics  grin12
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »