Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: London 2012 Olympics

(Read 33241 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: London 2012 Olympics
     Reply #150 - July 30, 2012, 07:28 PM

Lol there is a British swimmer who finished fifth, named  Liam Tancock, think I will remember that name if he is there in Rio.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #151 - July 30, 2012, 07:29 PM

Aww. Dry your eyes, Debbie Downer.

The figures do speak for themselves, I agree. Although, my concerns are primarily with my local area. Having spoken to a few independent business owners, they're reporting markedly lower revenue since the Olympic carnival rolled into town and have all said they can't wait for it to be over.

Panem et circenses... enjoy.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #152 - July 30, 2012, 07:31 PM

I think it's rings too. I don't think women perform on the rings, presumably because they don't have the same potential for building upper body strength.

Yeah, the rings is a men's event. Women excel on the floor though, plus they have the uneven bars and the beam.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #153 - July 30, 2012, 07:45 PM

The figures do speak for themselves, I agree. Although, my concerns are primarily with my local area. Having spoken to a few independent business owners, they're reporting markedly lower revenue since the Olympic carnival rolled into town and have all said they can't wait for it to be over.

Panem et circenses... enjoy.

I just think arts, heritage, sporting tradition, recreation, well-being are just as important as the public infrastructure. I can appreciate and support the activism against spending cuts, the ploughing out of public services, and-the-like, and support reform and awareness of dire needs without needing to be guilt tripped into sacrificing positive traditions whose value isn't monetary despite their high cost. A big looming raw number doesn't tell the whole story. It smells of last-ditch shock tactics. Not very effective as a means of convincing people, designed more as an 'appeal to the prejudices' of those already convinced the Olympic games are a bad thing.

Would that tactic be as effective when put against the Special Olympics or the Paralympics?

Reply #154 - July 30, 2012, 08:07 PM

I just think arts, heritage, sporting tradition, recreation, well-being are just as important as the public infrastructure. I can appreciate and support the activism against spending cuts, the ploughing out of public services, and-the-like, and support reform and awareness of dire needs without needing to be guilt tripped into sacrificing positive traditions whose value isn't monetary despite their high cost. A big looming raw number doesn't tell the whole story. It smells of last-ditch shock tactics. Not very effective as a means of convincing people, designed more as an 'appeal to the prejudices' of those already convinced the Olympic games are a bad thing.

Would that tactic be as effective when put against the Special Olympics or the Paralympics?

What comes first? The care for those participating in the special olympics or their chance to participate? I haven't heard a counter argument to the one presented by the website and the picture of the economy these days looks considerably bleak to support the idea of having such extravagant positive traditions at the sake of millions unemployed and what not.

"I measured the skies, now the shadows I measure,
    Sky-bound was the mind, earth-bound the body rests."
    [Kepler's epitaph]
     Reply #155 - July 30, 2012, 08:09 PM

What comes first? The care for those participating in the special olympics or their chance to participate?

Dunno. Have you asked them?

Reply #156 - July 30, 2012, 08:10 PM

double post

Reply #157 - July 30, 2012, 08:11 PM

Dunno. Have you asked them?

Asked whom?

[Kepler's epitaph]
     Reply #158 - July 30, 2012, 08:11 PM

Those participating in the Special Olympics.

Reply #159 - July 30, 2012, 08:12 PM

Whilst thus far displaying great maturity in your responses to valid criticism, it's probably safe to assume your familiarity with the arts is somewhat lacking if you truly believe that what we've seen thus far constitutes £9,000,000,000 worth of artistic merit and that this corporate craptacular somehow represents the maintenance of tradition.

I just find it slightly bizarre that people are so easily distracted by a little flag waving that the government is allowed to shit the money bed whilst remaining practically silent on the fact that we're sinking ever deeper into a double-dip recession.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
     Reply #160 - July 30, 2012, 08:12 PM

Either way, I'd rather worry about the future than the present.

[Kepler's epitaph]
     Reply #161 - July 30, 2012, 08:18 PM

Whilst thus far displaying great maturity in your responses to valid criticism, it's probably safe to assume your familiarity with the arts is somewhat lacking if you truly believe that what we've seen thus far constitutes £9,000,000,000 worth of artistic merit and that this corporate craptacular somehow represents the maintenance of tradition.

This part of your post is just a whine.

I just find it slightly bizarre that people are so easily distracted by a little flag waving that the government is allowed to shit the money bed whilst remaining practically silent on the fact that we're sinking ever deeper into a double-dip recession.

I just find it bizarre that you are extrapolating my opinion about the economy and the current government from my opinion about a sporting event.

Reply #162 - July 30, 2012, 08:22 PM

Whilst I have great respect and admiration for differently-abled athletes, it's an utter disgrace that Atos have been allowed to sponsor the Paralympics. The organisers of these games have a lot to answer for.

Reply #163 - July 30, 2012, 08:29 PM

This part of your post is just a whine.

I recognise that subtlety isn't your stong suit, but it was actually an ad hom if you care to read it again.

I just find it bizarre that you are extrapolating my opinion about the economy and the current government from my opinion about a sporting event.

Again, if you read more carefully you'll see I said "people", not "you". It's quite obvious that the government isn't being held to account about the recent revelation regarding our economic outlook due to the spectacle of these games.

Reply #164 - July 30, 2012, 08:33 PM

Its probably OK to enjoy the games as a spectacle with brilliant sporting endeavour whilst being sanguine about everything surrounding it.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #165 - July 30, 2012, 08:38 PM

Nobody can be in "FIGHT THE POWER!" mode 24 hours a day. Not even you, thinkfree. It would be terribly uncomfortable to hold your fist in the air for that long.

Reply #166 - July 30, 2012, 08:40 PM

Its probably OK to enjoy the games as a spectacle with brilliant sporting endeavour whilst being sanguine about everything surrounding it.

I don't think anyone's stopping anyone from enjoying the olympics but asking questions doesn't mean that it does.

Nobody can be in "FIGHT THE POWER!" mode 24 hours a day. Not even you, thinkfree. It would be terribly uncomfortable to hold your fist in the air for that long.

I find it hard to share your optimism on this considering the figures he brought up and the possibility of revenue from this.

[Kepler's epitaph]
     Reply #167 - July 30, 2012, 08:44 PM

Wow, Zoe Smith is beautiful.

Reply #168 - July 30, 2012, 08:46 PM

Yeah I know, was just saying.

God is Love.

Reply #169 - July 30, 2012, 08:54 PM

She most definitely is.
     Reply #170 - July 30, 2012, 08:57 PM

It's a little easier to be sanguine when the state security apparatus and bean-counters from various quarters have been busy attempting to ensure that dissenting voices are silenced.

Reply #171 - July 30, 2012, 09:11 PM

Yeah I know - I take on board all your points.

God is Love.

Reply #172 - July 30, 2012, 10:34 PM

Wow, Zoe Smith is beautiful.

yeah she's a bit gorgeous. it was great that she got the british record at just 18 - for weightlifting she's just a baby

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #173 - July 30, 2012, 10:56 PM

unless i'm missing something (quite possible), this is a false way of looking at things isn't it? so we can say for example that the olympics cost £10bn or so but then again it will generate somewhere around that figure in revenue for the british economy as well. so net it won't have cost the british economy anything or very little - might even turn a profit in fact. the olympics are being held with this in mind.

whereas whilst saying money should be spent on hospitals, schools etc. instead is all very noble, the money has to be pumped in knowing that no revenue will be recouped but instead money will continuously have to be poured into those public services. i don't think anyone here is saying that more money shouldn't be spent on public services but saying that money is being spent on olympics when it could be spent on public services is just an incorrect representation of things

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #174 - July 30, 2012, 11:01 PM

Why isn't the egg and spoon race in the Olympics.

too much skill involved

Reply #175 - July 31, 2012, 06:20 AM

Reply #176 - July 31, 2012, 06:23 AM

Meh, one can be an Olympic athlete and eat McDonalds.  Swimmers are told to eat as much as they can, pretty much regardless of what they eat. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #177 - July 31, 2012, 06:34 AM

Not strictly relevant, but I had my six-monthly McDonalds the other day.

I tried 'Le Grand', and it was very nearly proper-delicious as opposed to yucky-delicious.

Never seen it outside Japan, though. Or perhaps it's new.
     Reply #178 - July 31, 2012, 09:56 AM

That reminds me I'm due my tri-monthly KFC feast soon

God is Love.

Reply #179 - July 31, 2012, 02:17 PM

The first week of sports so far could be v loosely referred to as the white Olympics with an oriental flavour too. Don't see many dark skins in the swimming/diving pool or gymnasia or the 'posh' sports of rowing, sailing, cycling, equestrian etc. Not much of a medal haul from the white GB team, we will see if the black contingent do better.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »