Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I'm making a Website Critical of Islam, and I NEED HELP!

(Read 4172 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I'm making a Website Critical of Islam, and I NEED HELP!
     OP - July 18, 2012, 12:28 PM

Hey guys, I'm planning a website critical of Islam.

This website will be far superior to those that currently exist (WikiIslam, JihadWatch, ReligionOfPeace, etc), and will contain the following features:

-   A properly sourced IslamWiki
    -   Blogs by ex-Muslims regarding Islam Today
    -   Articles about Islam and Politics, Human Rights & Economics
    -   Online access to Qur’an Translations, Hadith Collections, etc.
    -   Online access to various Lectures about Islam
    -   Online access to various Academic Resources pertaining to Islam
    -   An interactive forum, and a chatroom
    -   And much more!

In essence, I want this website to be the most accurate source of information for Islam on the internet!

If you think you can help, or know anyone who can help me, please contact me (details below).

In particular, I am after web programmers and people knowledgeable in IT.

Please help me make this happen!

You can contact me the following ways:

FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/Klingschor

Thanks.
  • Re: I'm making a Website Critical of Islam, and I NEED HELP!
     Reply #1 - July 18, 2012, 12:34 PM

Hey guys, I'm planning a website critical of Islam.

This website will be far superior to those that currently exist (WikiIslam, JihadWatch, ReligionOfPeace, etc), and will contain the following features:

-   A properly sourced IslamWiki
    -   Blogs by ex-Muslims regarding Islam Today
    -   Articles about Islam and Politics, Human Rights & Economics
    -   Online access to Qur’an Translations, Hadith Collections, etc.
    -   Online access to various Lectures about Islam
    -   Online access to various Academic Resources pertaining to Islam
    -   An interactive forum, and a chatroom
    -   And much more!

In essence, I want this website to be the most accurate source of information for Islam on the internet!

Go for it Klingschor.. but your goal is NOT an easy job..lol,, I will help your web site as much as I can.. The more sites like that the more learning from web..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - July 18, 2012, 12:46 PM

Do you have Skype, Yeezevee?
     Reply #3 - July 18, 2012, 01:00 PM

Hey Klingshor,

I am a web programmer, maybe I can help out but you need to sell me on the project first.

I think you should try to work out what your site will be providing that other sites don't already.

For example you mentioned online access to Qur’an Translations, Hadith Collections, etc. For this you should try to provide something above and beyond what is already available at CMJE.org. Over there they have Bukhari, Da'ud, and Muslim and 3 Koran translations. They used to be searchable but for some reason they have removed the search feature, or at least I can no longer find it.

One thing I noticed when I was building my website is that online Hadith collections in other languages are very sparse or non existent. For example there are no complete online Hadith collections in Spanish, so for the Spanish portion of my website I have to link over to the English Hadith collections. I don't think there is much available in French either. So maybe those are "gaps in the market" that could be plugged somehow to get some initial traffic to your site.

On the other hand, I don't think there are many Spanish speakers that are really very interested in Islam as no Dawah goes on in Spanish speaking countries. But there must be shitloads of Dawah going on in France, so perhaps searchable and indexed Hadith collections in French would be a very useful "gap in the market" that you could fill and help generate traffic to your site.

I am sure you can find Bukhari already translated into French online somewhere, but is it searchable and indexed properly in a database so people can look up any line number? I doubt it. So maybe simply copy pasting the French text of Bukhari and somehow get a computer program to automatically parse it into a database so it is searchable would not be so hard.

Oh and one more piece of advice. I am sure you are already envisioning this anyway seeing as I have seen the style of your youtube videos and they are very professional, but I will say it anyway. You should try to make your site look in appearance as academic and unbiased as possible, you want to avoid the charge of "Islamophobia" as much as possible. For example websites such as "ReligionofPeace.com" is obviously very anti-Islamic just from visiting the home page and seeing all the images of bearded Salafists holding up ridiculous banners and the like, you should try to make your site a little more subtle.

Reply #4 - July 18, 2012, 02:30 PM

What a great idea! I especially like the wiki aspect. There does seem like a gap in the market for a collaborative site that can't be easily dismissed by Muslims as run by Muslim-haters or right wing Christians making stuff up etc. Being associated with ex-Muslims would help its image a lot I'd imagine. Also a section of articles refuting common weak accusations/arguments levelled at Islam or Muslims (taqiyya etc) could help show what you stand for and distinguish you. Maybe CEMB would pay for the hosting!

Often on forums like this or on blogs someone posts a new argument or new piece of evidence or source for debunking some Islamic claim or whatever, but it soon disappears down the board or blog rarely to be read by anyone again. It would be great if there was a place were people could submit such gold nuggets to a collation of continually refined, permanent articles without hesitating that they were contributing to an ethically dubious site or having to write a whole new blog post or page about it. I imagine it would also increase the incentive for people to do research and discover such things. Also wikiislam doesn't have anything on a lot Islamic scientific/historical miracle claims for one thing.

A couple of suggestions:
    You could have links in the articles or just on the site to the best blog posts/webpages/vids on certain topics.

It's an interesting and important question is how to organise the info. The structure would ideally be suited to the scenarios in which someone would use your site, such as they want to refute an argument that comes up in an online discussion. One idea is to have articles or headings within them entitled with common Islamic arguments.

I've only looked at it briefly but I heard joomla is a really good, user friendly tool for creating and administering websites that comes free with a lot of popular webhosting services (they generally have a sort of dashboard with such tools). Maybe someone has experience with that or similar products. It has lots of extensions for creating wikis etc. Examples of joomla made sites: http://joomlamadewebsites.com

Last year I saw there is a webhost that lets you use a test account to try out their website creation and admin tools (joomla, wordpress etc.) for free. I'll post if I can find it again.

EDIT: It's www.bluehost.com which lets you play around with a free demo account. Normally you'd click demo account on their home page, then sitebuilder tab at the top and click simple scripts to install joomla on your demo site, but the last part isn't working currently.

I recommend contacting the guy who runs the rationalislam blog. He could repost your request for help and raise awareness. He's a fan of Rationalizer, Captaindisguise, so is probably familiar with you too.

Btw, IERA have a new wiki site http://www.wikiquran.com/ It's just a blank page at present. Long may it stay that way!
     Reply #5 - July 18, 2012, 03:29 PM

For this you should try to provide something above and beyond what is already available at CMJE.org. Over there they have Bukhari, Da'ud, and Muslim and 3 Koran translations. They used to be searchable but for some reason they have removed the search feature, or at least I can no longer find it.

They have the same hadith collections but searchable on http://www.searchtruth.com/
    Can only search one at a time unlike the old cmje but still very useable. You can also search Quran translations there.

Another useful hadith site is http://sunnah.com You can search the hadiths and it also gives you the Arabic (if the Arabic is truncated you can click on the hadith for the full text).

Kling, maybe you could have a general resources page for people who want to check what an individual word means etc. Could have links/info like the ones in the 2nd part of this post:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=19938.msg567895#msg567895
     Reply #6 - July 18, 2012, 09:45 PM

It's a good idea, but academically speaking you cannot beat West Coast regional council of the national MSA organization, which have the the most academically respected Hadith library online. So, at least on that regard I think you're pretty much looking at a dead end, so if I was you I wouldn't bother with that aspect, I would rather link to them. Which can also be found here: http://msawest.net/islam/
     Reply #7 - July 18, 2012, 09:52 PM

As far as CMS is concerned, WordPress (http://www.wordpress.org) is free, open-source, has a lot of add-ons, and easy to use.

For example you mentioned online access to Qur’an Translations, Hadith Collections, etc. For this you should try to provide something above and beyond what is already available at CMJE.org. Over there they have Bukhari, Da'ud, and Muslim and 3 Koran translations. They used to be searchable but for some reason they have removed the search feature, or at least I can no longer find it.

I noticed that myself too, I liked their previous design better.

Oh and one more piece of advice. I am sure you are already envisioning this anyway seeing as I have seen the style of your youtube videos and they are very professional, but I will say it anyway. You should try to make your site look in appearance as academic and unbiased as possible, you want to avoid the charge of "Islamophobia" as much as possible. For example websites such as "ReligionofPeace.com" is obviously very anti-Islamic just from visiting the home page and seeing all the images of bearded Salafists holding up ridiculous banners and the like, you should try to make your site a little more subtle.

I concur, excellent advice!  Afro
     Reply #8 - July 19, 2012, 01:10 AM

One minor suggestion : Include a sitemap and organize it in a user friendly format so people can find the information they are looking for easier and faster.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »