Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Khan v Garcia

(Read 1371 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Khan v Garcia
     OP - July 15, 2012, 05:33 AM

LAS VEGAS -- There had been plenty of trash-talking in the week before Amir Khan and Danny Garcia stepped into the ring at the Mandalay Bay on Saturday night, much of it between Khan and Garcia's father Angel. Khan wasn't present at the postfight press conference, but Angel was, and he wasn't afraid to keep fighting the war of words even as his foe nursed his wounds at the hospital.

"Rematch?!" he exclaimed when it was suggested that maybe his son might face Khan again following his explosive fourth-round victory. "Why would we fight him again?" After comparing him to an old pair of tennis shoes, Angel spat that Khan was "old news. He's an ex-champion. He's a three-time ex-champion."

That last comment in particular cut to the quick. Khan could excuse his first loss, a shocking first-round KO defeat to Breidis Prescott: Khan was young, he was raw, and he had subsequently improved under the tutelage of trainer Freddie Roach. His second defeat, last December to Lamont Peterson, similarly came with a set of asterisks and, given Peterson's subsequent positive test for synthetic testosterone, may yet be expunged from the record books.

This one, however, was different. Despite a half-hearted suggestion from Khan in the immediate aftermath that perhaps Kenny Bayless had been premature in halting the contest, there could be no doubt. This was a fight that Khan had had in his grasp, that he was winning through two and two-thirds rounds, his hand speed and combination punching making him seem a class apart from his young opponent.

But Garcia never lost his composure, and kept coming forward behind a tight defense. And when Khan presented him with a chance, he took it, landing an explosive left hook that detonated on Khan's jaw. Although the bout officially lasted another round, it was effectively over as a contest right then; as Roach admitted afterward, Khan never really recovered from that blow.

The fight highlighted everything that is good and bad about Khan: On the good side, his immense physical gifts and his astonishing heart, which, combined with his flaws, make for consistently exciting fights, win or lose; on the bad, the questions that arose anew about his chin, which it seems will always be a weakness, wherever he goes from here.

For Danny Garcia, the immediate future is bright. With victories over Erik Morales and now Khan, he has, as they say, arrived. Khan arrived, at least as an attraction and as a star, some years ago. The question has been when he would move on, take the next step to a higher level among the elites. Now that question is not so much when, but if. And his absence in the face of Angel Garcia's taunts served only to underline that it is a question to which we almost certainly now know the answer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/Boxing/post/_/id/1369/the-divergent-paths-of-khan-garcia

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Re: Khan v Garcia
     Reply #1 - July 15, 2012, 05:52 AM

watched the fight. prescott all over again. i think khan can still come back from this though - a fight against kell brook would be a good starting point.

also saw the haye-chisora fight. was actually a well organised event - and a good fight. who knows another klitchsko fight might be on the horizon for haye.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #2 - July 15, 2012, 09:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AoVL64zxCY

Hmm that guy lost,,  that was a  silly fight   Lucky Garcia..

DUMB over confident .. offense with no defense British Guy. That is why he lost to that American

well, if he would have own  he was a Pakistani guy, if he looses he is British guy

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - July 15, 2012, 11:18 AM

Carl Froch is really digging into Khan. He said he should retire, lol dudes only 25 years old. Anyway, the problem with Khan is that he does not have enough fights, he has only like 3 fights a year, he should be having about 6 fights a year, he bounces around like a bouncy ball in the ring, that is why he can't take a punch, when your bouncing around and get hit in your head it shakes your brain you loose orientation. I think it serves Khan right that he lost he was getting too cocky, the only person I rate in boxing is Floyd Mayweather even Manny is shit.
     Reply #4 - July 15, 2012, 11:27 AM

Khan should forget about Floyd and the like, he should move back to the UK, and take out some trash here, like Kell Brook, then have really tough fights, rather then taking easy fights to the top. Look at Froch, Froch took hard fights so, when Froch looses folks give him respect for at least taking a tough fight. Even in sparring I saw him getting wild, Ruben told him not to get wild.

He is losing to B level fighters, to be honest I think Froch is right. Since Amir got married he hasn't won a single fight, he is always trying to impress his wife and he looses badly. lol
     Reply #5 - July 15, 2012, 11:29 AM

He was talking about fighting Mayweather too.

Bad knockout that. Is Kel Brook a chump? Might be he needs to step down in opponent to build his confidence and get back to winning again.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #6 - July 15, 2012, 12:34 PM

He was talking about fighting Mayweather too.

Bad knockout that. Is Kel Brook a chump? Might be he needs to step down in opponent to build his confidence and get back to winning again.

I wasn't impressed with Kell Brooks last fight, It seems like here in the UK we build any trash fighter up, only to watch them to go state-side and fail. We've never had a decent UK fighter since Lennox Luis. Khan look a good prospect because of his Olympic/amuture pedigree, but all the hype got to his own head. He should move back to the UK and fight Kell Brook, though brook is a weight division above him. Khan needs to move up in weight class, and he needs to stop bouncing around in the ring, if you're jumping up and down and you get caught with a shot while in the air its over. Just like Garica showed, Garcia closed his eyes and throw his punches hoping to land something and he did. He should have stayed down till 7 seconds at least to recover, he just acts too cocky, about 5/7 month ago I told him that on twitter and he blow it off as 'jealousy' he just don't want to take criticizsm.
     Reply #7 - July 15, 2012, 01:00 PM

Khan was getting well ahead of himself with all the talk about fighting Mayweather - seems like he took his eye off the ball.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - July 15, 2012, 01:11 PM

Yeah he was totally deluded to think he can take on Floyd, though I think alot of it was just to boost his confidence, I don't think his handlers would have actually put him in with Floyd. One has to question whether he can take a punch and come back.   
     Reply #9 - July 16, 2012, 06:45 AM

he will see the true colors of his fans now after losing and will wish he was born white. lipsrsealed
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »