Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: 121 mph because late for prayers...

(Read 1671 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 121 mph because late for prayers...
     OP - June 15, 2012, 01:45 PM

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/121mph-drivers-late-for-prayers-15062012.htm

TWO students caught speeding at 121 mph in separate cars on the A9 told police they were trying to get to a prayer meeting at an Inverness mosque.

Mohamed Mubarak and Syed Safiullah were clocked on a 70mph stretch of dual carriageway at Daviot.

Twenty-three-year-old Safiullah was driving behind Mubarak (24) when they were stopped by police on mobile patrol on the approach to the Fort Augustus junction.

Safiulla’s solicitor Craig Wood told inverness Sheriff Court yesterday that the offence was committed at 11.18am on 6th April and both men had been trying to get to the mosque for noon prayers.

“He is a Muslim,” Mr Wood said.

“His god is Allah and he has to undertake specific religious rites every day and on a Friday he is required to attend communal prayer.

“He is well aware he shouldn’t have been driving at that speed but if someone is determined to exceed the speed limit that stretch of dual carriageway is as good a place as any because it’s dual carriageway on a downhill stretch and lengthy visibility.”

Mr Wood said Safiullah had a law degree studied over five years in India.

He was attending Warwick University studying for an M.Sc. and was planning to go back to practise corporate law in India.

Duncan Henderson, solicitor for Mubarak, said his client was also at Warwick University studying innovation and entrepreneurship.

Mubarak told police he had not looked at his speedometer.

Both men, from Coventry, admitted driving dangerously and each was fined £500 and disqualified from driving for 12 months.

After the case, Northern Constabulary said 121mph was one of the fastest speeds its officers had recorded on the A9, dubbed Scotland’s most dangerous road.

“Too many drivers continue to drive at excessive speed or in a dangerous and careless manner on roads in the Highlands and Islands, potentially putting their lives at risk and the lives of other road users,” said a spokesman.

“Our message is quite clear and that is speeding and inappropriate driving will not be tolerated and we will deal robustly with any incidences of that...

As a matter of interest, I knew a Muslim who was here before there were many mosques and he would pop into a local church to pray.  Is there really a rule that you have to get to a mosque in time?  And what is the problem with a local one?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Re: 121 mph because late for prayers...
     Reply #1 - June 20, 2012, 04:12 PM

Wow, a local church! He must have been quitethe liberal one. I know people that would have shot you with social shit for that.

I'm pretty sure the rule is that you have to make your way to a mosque, not a church, for the Friday prayers, but I don't see why someone couldn't pray anything else at home.

I used to be powerful, then I started blogging.
     Reply #2 - June 20, 2012, 05:24 PM

I think you will find that was quite common before the mosques opened.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #3 - June 20, 2012, 05:54 PM

Well, I had no idea. I think it's really cool that people will do that.

I used to be powerful, then I started blogging.
     Reply #4 - June 20, 2012, 07:44 PM

I know people that would have shot you with social shit for that.

Too true…
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »