Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 2013 Freedom of Thought Report

(Read 4173 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 2013 Freedom of Thought Report
     OP - April 28, 2014, 12:06 AM

I went to a talk by Bob Churchill of the International Humanist and Ethical Union, and one of the things he mentioned was this report they compiled: http://freethoughtreport.com/download-the-report/

Download and read. parrot

Also, I really like this idea of scrutinising every country and pointing out the aspects in which they trample on human rights.
    I think more (detailed) work should be done in this regard.  Scrutinise -> Report -> Repeat. parrot

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #1 - April 28, 2014, 12:14 AM

Hmm. Seems a bit odd. Checking their map at http://freethoughtreport.com/map/ they reckon there is "systemic discrimination" in Australia and "severe discrimination" in New Zealand. In practice, meaning in terms of what is actually likely to be enforced, I'd have to call bullshit on both claims. In both countries, pushy religious types are known as "God botherers", and you can say what you like about religion. I've never been aware of any restrictions, and I've lived in both countries for extended periods.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - April 28, 2014, 12:19 AM

The pdf has more detailed info.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #3 - April 28, 2014, 12:31 AM

Yeah I've just been looking at that. For example, regarding New Zealand:

Furthermore, a Religious Libel law remains on the statute books: Section 123 of the Crimes Act 1961 criminalizes “blasphemous libel” with a maximum sentence of one year. There is no record of a successful prosecution under this law.

So although the map on the site claims "severe discrimination" and prison sentences for blasphemy, in practice it aint gonna happen.

From my perspective, the most worrying thing in Australia currently is the channeling of government funding to religiously-based schools that teach a crippled and/or idiotic curriculum. Apart from that, it's most pretty trivial issues that in practice have little or no effect. The "highlighted case" from Victoria was an example that frankly would probably not have passed on this forum either, IIRC. Basically, Geller types nutting off about Islam. Criticism per se would be highly unlikely to result in prosecution.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - April 28, 2014, 06:51 AM

So although the map on the site claims "severe discrimination" and prison sentences for blasphemy, in practice it aint gonna happen.

That's similiar to Canada.  We still have a blasphemy law written in criminal code but almost noone knows it exists and will never be enforced. It's nothing but an artifact of history.

It's also technically void I guess because of the "freedom of expression" right in the constitution.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #5 - April 28, 2014, 08:46 AM

It's not void. Anyone can still be charged. It will probably take a high profile case for a repeal movement to gain a footing.
     Reply #6 - April 28, 2014, 11:43 AM

The pdf has more detailed info.

Thanks for that link  ateapotist., I  scan through it  but   where is AMRIKA IN THAT PDF FILE?    I can not find AMRIKA in that list of nations.....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - April 28, 2014, 11:17 PM

^ USA is on page 105.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #8 - April 28, 2014, 11:20 PM

Regarding the IHEU, here's a video of Kacem El Ghazzali (IHEU representative) speaking at the UN in support of Raif Badawi, much to the annoyance of the Saudis, no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J895yHZ8miA

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #9 - April 28, 2014, 11:37 PM

And speaking of Raif Badawi, there are going to be protests outside Saudi embassies around the world this Saturday, World Press Freedom Day.
    https://www.facebook.com/Stand3may

Baloney Detection Kit
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »