Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Random Science Posts

(Read 100558 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 14 15 1617 18 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #450 - November 28, 2014, 01:49 AM

Well, the bus said No 2 at the front so I assumed it was a mobile portaloo. whistling2

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #451 - December 04, 2014, 09:33 PM

WOW!

http://imgur.com/a/RWAaQ

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/bringing-human-evolution-life-180951155/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic&no-ist

Paleoartist Brings Human Evolution to Life

For Elisabeth Daynès, sculpting ancient humans and their ancestors is both an art and a science

By Helen Thompson
    smithsonian.com
    May 7, 2014

A smiling 3.2-million-year-old face greets visitors to the anthropology hall of the National Museum of Anthropology and History in Mexico City. This reconstruction of the famous Australopithecus afarensis specimen dubbed “Lucy” stands a mere 4 feet tall, is covered in dark hair, and displays a pleasant gaze.

She’s no ordinary mannequin: Her skin looks like it could get goose bumps, and her frozen pose and expression make you wonder if she’ll start walking and talking at any moment.

This hyper-realistic depiction of Lucy comes from the Atelier Daynès studio in Paris, home of French sculptor and painter Elisabeth Daynès. Her 20-year career is a study in human evolution—in addition to Lucy, she’s recreated Sahelanthropus tchadensis, as well as Paranthropus boisei, Homo erectus, and Homo floresiensis, just to name a few. Her works appear in museums across the globe, and in 2010, Daynès won the prestigious J. Lanzendorf PaleoArt Prize for her reconstructions.

Though she got her start in the make-up department of a theater company, Daynès had an early interest in depicting realistic facial anatomy and skin in theatrical masks. When she opened her Paris studio, she began developing relationships with scientific labs. This interest put her on the radar of the Thot Museum in Montignac, France, and in 1988, they tapped Daynès to reconstruct a mammoth and a group of people from the Magdalenian culture who lived around 11,000 years ago.

Through this initial project, Daynès found her calling. “I knew it straight away after [my] first contact with this field, when I understood how infinite [scientific] research and creativity could be,” she says.

Although her sculpting techniques continue to evolve, she still follows the same basic steps. No matter the reconstruction, Daynès always starts with a close examination of the ancient human’s skull—a defining feature for many hominid fossil groups.

Computer modeling of 18 craniometric data points across a skull specimen gives her estimates of musculature and the shape of the nose, chin, and forehead. These points guide Daynès as she molds clay to form muscles, skin and facial features across a cast of the skull. Additional bones and teeth provide more clues to body shape and stature.

Next, Daynès makes a silicone cast of the sculpture, a skin-like canvas on which she’ll paint complexion, beauty spots and veins. For hair, she typically uses human hair in members of the Homo genus, mixing in yak hair for a thicker effect in older hominids. Dental and eye prosthetics complete the sculpture’s form.

For hair and eye color decisions, Daynès gets inspiration from the scientific literature: for example, genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthals had red hair. She also consults with scientific experts on the fossil group at each stage of the reconstruction process.

Her first collaboration with a scientist on a reconstruction came in 1998 when she teamed up with longtime friend Jean-Nöel Vignal, a paleoanthropologist and former head of the Police Forensic Research Institute in Paris, to reconstruct a Neanderthal from France’s La Ferrassie cave site. Vignal had developed the computer modeling programs used to estimate muscle and skin thickness.

Forensic sleuthing, she says, is the perfect guide: She approaches a reconstruction like a investigator profiling a murder victim. The skull, other bone remains and flora and fauna found in the excavation all help develop a picture of the individual: her age, what she ate, what hominid group she belonged to, any medical conditions she may have suffered from, and where and when she lived. More complete remains yield more accurate reconstructions. “Lucy” proved an exceptionally difficult reconstruction, spanning eight months.

Daynès synthesizes all of the scientific data about that point in hominid evolution into one sculpture, presenting a hypothesis of what the individual looked like. But the full reconstruction “is both an artistic and scientific challenge,” she says. “Reaching an emotional impact and transmitting life requires important artistic work unlike a conventional reconstruction that would be realized in a forensic laboratory,” explains Daynès.

There’s no scientific method to predict what anger or wonder or love might have looked like on the face of Homo erectus, for example. So for facial expressions, Daynès goes with artistic intuition, based on the hominid family, exhibition design, and any inspiration conjured by the skull itself.

She also turns to the expressions of modern humans: “I cut out different looks from recent photos in magazines that hit me and that I think can apply to a specific individual.” For example, Daynès modeled a Neanderthal man looking powerlessly at his companion, wounded in a hunting accident, for the CosmoCaixa Museum of Barcelona, on a Life magazine photo of two American soldiers in Vietnam.

Through these expressions and the realistic feel of the sculptures, Daynès also tries to dispel stereotypes of ancient hominids being violent, brutish, stupid, or inhuman. “I am proud to know that they will shake up common preconceptions,” Daynès says. “When this happens, the satisfaction is great—this is the promise that visitors will wonder about their origins.”

For example

Paranthropus boisei

A reconstruction of a Paranthropus boisei made directly on the cast of a 2.5 million-year-old skull, discovered in 1959 at Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #452 - December 04, 2014, 09:55 PM

Awesome mysmilie_977

Just had to create this:

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #453 - December 04, 2014, 09:57 PM

Abes? - Apes
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #454 - December 04, 2014, 09:57 PM

woops :p

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #455 - December 04, 2014, 10:00 PM

and BP not BC!  Cheesy
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #456 - December 04, 2014, 10:05 PM

Yes I am a nerd!
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #457 - December 04, 2014, 10:06 PM

Fixed now - and no need to bring British Petroleum conspiracies into it Tongue

Yes I am a nerd!

Yes you are. Had to google that Smiley

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #458 - December 05, 2014, 03:33 AM

and BP not BC!  Cheesy

In paleo terms it makes bugger all difference (couple of thousand years either way) and it's actually common to use BP for "before present", rather than using BC.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #459 - December 05, 2014, 03:42 AM

BO = Before Osmanthus.

VERY close to BP Tongue

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #460 - December 05, 2014, 06:16 AM

I prefer ABY and BYB
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #461 - December 05, 2014, 02:48 PM

Oldest ever engraving discovered on 500,000-year-old shell

Source: Leiden University
    Summary: Homo erectus on Java was already using shells of freshwater mussels as tools half a million years ago, and as a 'canvas' for an engraving. The discovery of an engraved geometrical pattern on one of the shells came as a total surprise. The zig zag pattern, that can only be seen with oblique lighting, is clearly older than the weathering processes on the shell arising from fossilization.

• Fucking plant genes, how do they work?
     Reply #462 - February 07, 2015, 08:24 PM

Sea slug steals solar-power from algae

This sea slug doesn't just eat algae, it incorporates some of the algae's genes into its own chromosome, making it solar powered. With those genes the slug can keep the algal chloroplasts happily photosynthesising - and feeding its host - for months after they've been swallowed. It really is the meal that keeps on giving.

"There is no way on earth that genes from an alga should work inside an animal cell ... and yet here, they do" says co-author of the study Prof Sidney K. Pierce from University of South Florida.

bunny

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #463 - February 07, 2015, 08:50 PM

Kill it now before it mutates and outcompetes us in a dystopian future where resources are scarce!  Shocked

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #464 - February 07, 2015, 08:52 PM

I'm gonna cross it with roses and create giant spikey triffids that smell awesome. parrot

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #465 - February 08, 2015, 12:17 AM

I think that slug is in a vegetative state. cool2

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #466 - February 08, 2015, 03:14 AM

I think that slug is in a vegetative state. cool2

Leaf us alone with that nonsense.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #467 - February 09, 2015, 03:10 PM

How High Can We Build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ4Qp2xeRds

Gravity Visualized
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY1Kje0yLg

Those are fun tubes/fun experiments  for  high school/1st year graduate students.... and compare that with the education of  kids that go through torturous religious schools with grown up Idiots brainwashing them with silly songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-aXWnhAfhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhi5uyHeakg

Idiots ruin lives of 100 of 1000s of kids across the globe...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #468 - February 12, 2015, 03:21 AM

Giant smiley face in space proves God likes E's  parrot

This smiley face hovering in space looks like it was beamed into the heavens by a celestial keyboard. Captured by the Hubble Space Telescope, it was in fact created by a quirk of general relativity known as gravitational lensing.

The glowing eyes are bright galaxies that are part of a galaxy cluster known as SDSS J1038+4849. The massive structure warps space-time, bending light like a lens to create a stretched image of distant galaxies, called an Einstein ring. The well-positioned circular shape creates the outline of the face and the wry grin.

The happy face was uncovered by amateur astronomer Judy Schmidt in a similar image while hunting for submissions for the Hubble's Hidden Treasures competition. Contestants were asked to search through the space telescope's vast archives for overlooked discoveries.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #469 - March 13, 2015, 01:54 PM

Cheesy Cheesy

Anti-vaccination guy offers equivalent of ~$100,000.00 to anyone who can prove that vaccines are effective, someone sends him articles to prove it, anti-vaccination guy dismisses them but is then brought to court where they force him to actually pay the $100k to the article sender.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31864218
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #470 - March 13, 2015, 03:04 PM

Cheesy Cheesy

Anti-vaccination guy offers equivalent of ~$100,000.00 to anyone who can prove that vaccines are effective, someone sends him articles to prove it, anti-vaccination guy dismisses them but is then brought to court where they force him to actually pay the $100k to the article sender.

gooood.,  that planet has plenty of such psychos as doctors.......actors.. and in every field  and here is that dr. Lanka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6EoUYrTyQ
    boy he sound like as if he is on something or some Jinn is talking..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #471 - March 13, 2015, 10:32 PM

Cheesy Cheesy

Love it.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #472 - March 13, 2015, 10:49 PM

Cheesy Cheesy

Excellent! Science is awesome peeps AND policy makers!

http://scienceisvital.org.uk/tell-them-science-is-vital/
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #473 - March 14, 2015, 04:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZJXFzSjdA

And people ask me why I hate the ocean?
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #474 - March 14, 2015, 04:48 PM

How can you hate the ocean?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #475 - March 14, 2015, 05:04 PM

That impossibly massive, treacherous disaster full of bodies, waste and nightmarish monsters?
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #476 - March 16, 2015, 07:51 AM

Still. Don't use anything with microbeads in it!

http://beatthemicrobead.org/en/
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #477 - March 16, 2015, 07:55 AM

That impossibly massive, treacherous disaster full of bodies, waste and nightmarish monsters?

No, the ocean, not America.

• Random Science Posts
     Reply #478 - March 16, 2015, 08:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZJXFzSjdA

And people ask me why I hate the ocean?

Also I love that video! Shot off Shell's Perdido platform in the Gulf of Mexico.

"Bigfin Squids

The bigfin squids are a group of rarely seen cephalopods with a distinctive morphology. They are placed in the genus Magnapinna and family Magnapinnidae. Although the family is known only from larval, paralarval, and juvenile specimens, some authorities believe the adult creature has also been seen; several videos have been taken of animals nicknamed the "long-arm squid", which appear to have a similar morphology. Since none of the adult specimens have ever been captured or sampled, it remains uncertain if they are the same genus, or only distant relatives."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfin_squid

The long-arm squid filmed by DSV Alvin, possibly an adult Magnapinna sp.

The long-armed squid observed north of Hawai'i in 2001 at a depth of 3380 m, showing the extremely large fins of this specimen
  • Random Science Posts
     Reply #479 - March 18, 2015, 04:55 AM

No, the ocean, not America.

Fine. That was a good one.
  • Previous page 1 ... 14 15 1617 18 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »