Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Richard Dawkins...

(Read 54428 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #60 - September 15, 2014, 12:45 AM

Dawkins gives himself enough rope.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #61 - September 15, 2014, 12:46 AM

When I was a Buddhist, I used to write negative reviews of Dawkins' books on Amazon

Did you read the books before writing the reviews?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #62 - September 15, 2014, 12:59 AM

Did you read the books before writing the reviews?

I read The God Delusion and The Selfish Gene. But I couldn't stand the thought that there may be nothing after death. I always "felt" there was something more to human beings, and was angry that Dawkins would not stop to consider that so many people share this feeling. My argument was, "Nobody questions that anger is a real emotion, because everyone has felt it, so if so many people feel that death isn't the end, then who the hell is Dawkins to deny this feeling is legitimate?"

I was especially angry that Dawkins (in The Selfish Gene) proposed that consciousness could be merely our way of simulating the world.

I have since re-read both books and people are right, Dawkins is polite and accurate in his assessment that we need to rely on evidence. There MAY be existence after death, but until it's proven, it's not morally correct for people to set themselves up as spiritual teachers and claim they have the answers.

The misspelling in my name is intentional, because I'm an idiot and I can't spell properly. But I'd probably also say that even if it was a mistake. Does that clear things up?
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #63 - September 15, 2014, 08:12 AM

.......... was angry that Dawkins would not stop to consider that so many people share this feeling. ....

I was especially angry that Dawkins  ............

Are you still angry  V_I??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #64 - September 15, 2014, 09:38 AM

I'm the dumb one who hasn't read his books but came to negative conclusions about him, i do follow him on twitter and i found a lot of his posts were soley about islam bashing, i expected a lot more intelligent tweets from him..  i was wanting to find his forum if he has one, is there a dawkings discussion forum where he posts there? I tried to google couldnt find the right one.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #65 - September 15, 2014, 11:37 AM

I'm the dumb one who hasn't read his books but came to negative conclusions about him, i do follow him on twitter and i found a lot of his posts were soley about islam bashing, i expected a lot more intelligent tweets from him..  i was wanting to find his forum if he has one, is there a dawkings discussion forum where he posts there? I tried to google couldnt find the right one.

well they used to have forum until 2010 and then it got busted . you need lot of patience to run a  forum  that strives on freedom of expression at the same time controlling the public with variety of  characteristics/backgrounds  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #66 - September 15, 2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks Yeezeve

x
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #67 - September 15, 2014, 10:37 PM

Are you still angry  V_I??

I'm always angry, I don't know how to lighten up.

As for Dawkins, I'm not angry at him, but I am angry at a universe that gives birth to a self-aware human race and then just kills us off at the end with no more compassion than swatting a fly.

The misspelling in my name is intentional, because I'm an idiot and I can't spell properly. But I'd probably also say that even if it was a mistake. Does that clear things up?
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #68 - September 15, 2014, 11:25 PM

Another way to look at it is that we are the universe experiencing itself.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #69 - September 15, 2014, 11:52 PM

Another way to look at it is that we are the universe experiencing itself.

Good point. Though, it still kills me when I see all the war, disease, and poverty in the world and think that we only get one life and so many have to spend it in suffering. The unfairness makes existence seem so... bleak.

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #70 - September 15, 2014, 11:57 PM

The thing is, life owes you nothing. You can say to the universe "Why me?" and not even get a shrug or a "Why not?" in return. Life is what you make it, and that's the thing. It's all down to us.

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #71 - September 16, 2014, 12:13 AM

The thing is, life owes you nothing. You can say to the universe "Why me?" and not even get a shrug or a "Why not?" in return. Life is what you make it, and that's the thing. It's all down to us.

It just feels unfair that I am born in a country where I can eat until I throw up and yet others are born into starvation. It doesn't even matter who's a good person or not. You could be the kindest person in the world, yet still be born into miserable circumstances.

So, I feel angry at an indifferent universe that drives us tooth-and-nail to reproduce (even though we all know the sun is going to consume the Earth one day and our species won't survive) yet doesn't give us the moral sense to realize that quantity is nothing without quality.

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #72 - October 08, 2014, 03:25 PM

I miss RDF... Good while it lasted.

Anyway, I like Dawkins' scientific work because it's well researched. I feel his anti-religion stuff (maybe pro-reason?) only works for those with some scientific background, it's probably meant to persuade fence sitters rather than creationist types who reject science outright.

He doesn't attack Islam or Christianity from a theological point of view but then again, that's not his field of expertise. He provides the science angle, the researchers often quoted here on CEMB attack from a historical point of view, and the testimony of ex-Muslims here show what life under Islam really is like. Hopefully all that is enough to make people open their eyes and start thinking and living rationally.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #73 - October 08, 2014, 03:32 PM

I'm the dumb one who hasn't read his books but came to negative conclusions about him, i do follow him on twitter and i found a lot of his posts were soley about islam bashing, i expected a lot more intelligent tweets from him..  i was wanting to find his forum if he has one, is there a dawkings discussion forum where he posts there? I tried to google couldnt find the right one.

Everyone seems to be a huge dick on Twitter.

Also, I find the medium confusing as fuck.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #74 - October 08, 2014, 05:16 PM

So do i, went on there a few times, now i forgot how to use it lol, must be an age thing  wacko
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #75 - October 09, 2014, 12:49 AM

Mr Dawkins, as the torch bearer of secularism/ anti religion, worries me a tad. As a middle-aged, white atheist I know quite a lot of middle-aged, white, atheist people. Almost all of them can't stand him. If he has that effect on his peers, what chance does he have with everyone else?
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #76 - October 09, 2014, 12:50 AM

Everyone seems to be a huge dick on Twitter.

Also, I find the medium confusing as fuck.

You should tweet that.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #77 - October 09, 2014, 03:12 AM

Mr Dawkins, as the torch bearer of secularism/ anti religion, worries me a tad. As a middle-aged, white atheist I know quite a lot of middle-aged, white, atheist people. Almost all of them can't stand him. If he has that effect on his peers, what chance does he have with everyone else?

Because he's like a polite old gentleman who will verbally rip you apart for being dumb. I guess he's not popular because he's stubborn and relentless. Not the kind of person you want at a cocktail party if you disagree with his views, I guess.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #78 - October 09, 2014, 06:32 AM

You call him a polite old gent... I've never seen him have a polite moment? And your definition of a gentleman must differ from mine.

Hi
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #79 - October 09, 2014, 07:04 AM

I've seen him polite plenty of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AS6rQtiEh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsH1U7zSp7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8hy8NxZvFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHOUqDwz8sY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Eb7k87gO0

You don't think there's any politeness in the above?

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #80 - October 09, 2014, 12:19 PM

I'll check later mate. I've seen too much impatience and dismissiveness in the past, to ever be a real fan.

Hi
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #81 - October 09, 2014, 09:03 PM

Have skimmed through them. You're right.

But he has his moments. Want me to dig those out?

Hi
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #82 - October 09, 2014, 10:19 PM

He's not my prophet. I don't think he's perfect and feel no need to defend every word he says.

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #83 - October 10, 2014, 12:37 AM

He's not perfect, he's definitely no prophet for atheism and he lets the scientific evidence for evolution and for atheism speak for itself. Maybe that comes across as smarter-than-thou for some people.

I too have no need or wish to defend the man but I will defend the scientific evidence, especially against nutjobs who think God made humans out of clay or made the world 6000 years ago.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #84 - October 10, 2014, 05:55 AM

Isn't it nice to not have to defend someone to the death? With all the bullshit in islam I don't envy those who feel they have to justify everything islamic till their dying breath no matter how ridiculous or batshit crazy.

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #85 - October 10, 2014, 08:00 AM

Richard Dawkins is not a prophet. However, he *IS* a rockstar.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #86 - December 30, 2014, 07:52 PM

Dawkins teaching evolution to a year 11 (ages 14 or 15) class at Park High School, London. He answered several questions of the students, most of whom doubt evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhtbmXzIaM

• Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #87 - December 30, 2014, 08:20 PM

"Most of whom doubt evolution"

Depressing.
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #88 - December 30, 2014, 08:28 PM

"Most of whom doubt evolution"

Depressing.

VERY! Scary if they become doctors!
  • Richard Dawkins...
     Reply #89 - December 30, 2014, 11:21 PM

A Muslim kid tried to use the scientific miracle bollocks, this is how deep rooted this shit is with Muslims these days.

VERY! Scary if they become doctors!

Does not surprise me, there were many Muslim students (and one Christian) in my biology class at sixth form college who didn't believe in evolution, a few of them want to be doctors.
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »