Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Waltz with Bashir

(Read 6394 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Waltz with Bashir
     OP - December 01, 2008, 06:59 PM

Has anyone seen this film? Its an Israeli animated documentary which tells the story of the director Ari Folman's attempts to try and make sense of his memories of the Israeli- Lebanese war. At the time he was a 19-year old soldier in the IDF and was indirectly involved in the Sabra and Shatila massacres.

I watched it in Edinburgh with a Palestinian friend. After it finished the audience just sat there staring at the screen in stunned silence. When we left the theatre we bumped into an Israeli acquaintance who had just watched the film too, and he asked my friend what she thought of it. She burst out 'It's completely different from the version that we know!'.
    I would have liked to compare their different thoughts and viewpoints on the film but thought it best to change the subject to avoid a diplomatic incident  Smiley . The point is though, that I was also told that the Sabra and Shatila massacre was perpetrated by Israeli soldiers under direct orders from Ariel Sharon, and was shocked to discover that in fact, although Israel played a large role, the killings themselves were carried out by Lebanese Christians.  I thought (being an arab and therefore a fan of conspiracy theories  Smiley ) that the director might be telling porkies but a little bit of research convinced me otherwise.

Has anyone seen it, what did you think? How much do you know about Sabra and Shatila?

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
  • Re: Waltz with Bashir
     Reply #1 - December 01, 2008, 08:14 PM

I haven't seen it but it sounds interesting.  Smiley

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - December 01, 2008, 08:20 PM

I've never even heard of it, but I definitely want to watch it now. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - December 01, 2008, 08:31 PM

I've never even heard of it, but I definitely want to watch it now. 

Good lord, it looks fantastic in this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B86ziCwcmo&feature=related

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - December 01, 2008, 08:58 PM

I would strongly recommend it, its powerful and beautifully done. I guess the animation is simple but the focus is on the story which is thought-provoking.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #5 - December 01, 2008, 09:10 PM

Has anyone seen this film? Its an Israeli animated documentary which tells the story of the director Ari Folman's attempts to try and make sense of his memories of the Israeli- Lebanese war. At the time he was a 19-year old soldier in the IDF and was indirectly involved in the Sabra and Shatila massacres.

I watched it in Edinburgh with a Palestinian friend. After it finished the audience just sat there staring at the screen in stunned silence. When we left the theatre we bumped into an Israeli acquaintance who had just watched the film too, and he asked my friend what she thought of it. She burst out 'It's completely different from the version that we know!'.
    I would have liked to compare their different thoughts and viewpoints on the film but thought it best to change the subject to avoid a diplomatic incident  Smiley . The point is though, that I was also told that the Sabra and Shatila massacre was perpetrated by Israeli soldiers under direct orders from Ariel Sharon, and was shocked to discover that in fact, although Israel played a large role, the killings themselves were carried out by Lebanese Christians.  I thought (being an arab and therefore a fan of conspiracy theories  Smiley ) that the director might be telling porkies but a little bit of research convinced me otherwise.

Has anyone seen it, what did you think? How much do you know about Sabra and Shatila?

I haven't see the film, but I do remember Sabra and Chatila - I never thought the Israelis did it themselves - I don't know anyone who did.

I always knew it was done by Christian Militia - though the Israelis were encircling the camps at the time. Of course the Israelis deny any involvement - however they let the Christian militia in and could not have been in the slightest doubt about what was going to happen.
     Reply #6 - December 01, 2008, 09:18 PM

I always knew it was done by Christian Militia - though the Israelis were encircling the camps at the time. Of course the Israelis deny any involvement - however they let the Christian militia in and could not have been in the slightest doubt about what was going to happen.

The version I've always heard is the same, apart from the bit I've bolded.  I always thought that the Israelis admitted responsibility on the part of Sharon, and punished him for it.  I forget how, but he was supposedly either dishonourably discharged, or sacked in some way.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #7 - December 01, 2008, 10:08 PM

The version I've always heard is the same, apart from the bit I've bolded.  I always thought that the Israelis admitted responsibility on the part of Sharon, and punished him for it.  I forget how, but he was supposedly either dishonourably discharged, or sacked in some way.

I could be mistaken, but I think the Israelis deny any complicity or knowledge that the Christian militia were going to start massacring Palestinians - and only admit that when they did realise what was going on, they did nothing.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »