Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Burka perpetuates rape culture??..

(Read 22986 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Burka perpetuates rape culture??..
     OP - May 24, 2012, 10:58 PM

You are free to make your choices but you are not free from the consequences of those choices — Burka perpetuates rape culture
    We know that  individuals create society and that the society creates an individual. When Judith Butler talks about the “performative” nature of the gender, saying, “[G]ender proves to be performance— that is, constituting the identity it is purported to be. In this sense, gender is always a doing, though not a doing by a subject who might be said to pre-exist the deed” her theory reflects the sociological approach. Taking these claims as basis to address the issue of veiling, I would like to suggest that veiling is a symbol of oppression, indoctrination, and patriarchy. It encourages gender apartheid, inhibits fair and equal participation of all humans in all walks of life and proves to be a hurdle towards the achievement of an ideal and just world by endorsing subjugation of women. The current disposition of women in the world is a result of patriarchal ideology actualized into practice by politicizing physiological grounds (such as the fragility, attractiveness and childbearing ability of women and the physical and biological strength of men to be able to protect and provide for). The construction of religion, states and societies primarily by men throughout the history for their own benefit has resulted in gender subversion. Where men too have faced the destructive consequences of this structure, women have been suppressed and objectified on a larger scale (as the societal norms are usually more relaxed for men) and veiling is just one of the examples of this.
     Islam is the pre-dominant religion in the Middle-East. Islam, much like the other two Abrahamic faiths (Judaism and Christianity), has strict moral guidelines for both men and women. Leila Ahmed mentions the matrilineal nature of the pre-Islamic Arabia (Jahilia) which gave women more rights over their bodies and more sexual freedom. Upon the advent of Islam, and more importantly after the death of the prophet, there were principles and religious scholarships developed to ensure that people are devout Muslims and that Islam is also geographically spread. Religious politics and battles lead to women without caregivers and male protection which was the culture of the Arabic society. Such concerns lead to the establishment of a polygamous society and since women were financially and socially dependent on men and the religious guidelines were not entirely advocating for their liberation, women became automatically subjugated by the very patriarchal definition of the social contract that marriage is. Later on, as Fatima Mernissi points out, Islamic scholars like al-Ghazali articulated the notion of the active sexuality of females and that being a threat to the pious conduct of the men. The “fitna” or chaos that a woman is able to create just by her “irresistible” attractiveness that a man feels towards her is of a “Satanic” nature, according to al-Ghazali; therefore a woman must cover herself in order to avoid causing “fitna” so that the time and energy could be spent on “knowing God” and unearthing the mysteries of the universe. In short, as Mernissi puts it, “The entire Muslim social structure could be seen as an attack on, and a defense against, the disruptive power of female sexuality.” Judith Butler talks about the politics of language and contextual feminisms by arguing that “an unwitting regulation and reification of gender relations” has been caused by the mistake of asserting “women” as a group with common interests and characteristics. By doing so, limiting the possibility of a dialectic exploration of identity by strictly defining the categories of “women” and “men.” In my opinion, this strict bifurcation is the reason for some women to ‘choose’ wearing the veil. Whereas it may seem their choice, it’s essentially not because the fact that some members of only one group (i.e. the women) feel the need to don the veil leads to the conclusion of gender conditioning. Qasim Amin presented a relevant argument that, “If what men fear is that women might succumb to their masculine attraction (here Amin is referring to the idea of active female sexuality in these societies), why did they not institute veils for themselves?” The liberal argument of ‘choice’ would true if members of both the groups had equal number of examples exhibiting the notion, but far from an equal number, there is not even a single case in history where a man decides to wear the veil thus negating even the possibility of the conception of this notion. In fact, it’s unacceptable at any point in the society to have a man wear a veil. Hence, the patriarchal guidelines of performance to safeguard ‘purity,’ ‘piety,’ and ‘righteousness’ when internalized, give rise to a social condition which may seem like “veiling by choice’ but is essentially conformity. This idea of ‘choice’ is also destructive on a macrocosmic level because by being veiled, they are subjecting the whole female gender to be perceived as objects of curiosity.

The women who fight against veiling and for their right to not wear the veil have come to the realization that it is not acceptable to be primarily defined as sex objects. They have learned to assert their right to be treated as an equal human being by participating wholly in the societies that they live and to contribute towards the economic, political and ideological progress of those societies. When a woman is emancipated from the ideological shackles of the patriarchal norms and refuses to be defined by or in relation to the opposite sex, she has already liberated herself as an individual. That individual will have a positive macrocosmic affect as it is a contribution towards normalizing the idea of a woman having an independent of men. Where a veiled woman always exists in relation to men (what I mean here is that a veiled woman does not feel the need to don the veil in presence of women but only in the presence of men), a woman who is not veiled is her authentic self at all times and does not feel the need to fulfill the performative requirements to claim her identity.
     Now the question remains: Is it possible to be a feminist and choose to wear the veil? My answer would be no because until and unless women free themselves of the perception of men about women and stop giving men the authority to define the term women and regulate female sexuality, the feminist goal of an equal and ideal world will only exist in theory and will not become a reality.

a blog by Alishaba Zarmeen sent to me by email from Maryam Nazamie's blog... NSFW!!.. not gonna sperate the paragraphs ..click the link if you want better structure, i just copied and pasted it here for those who don't bother clicking the link! Smiley i loved reading it and thought the first picture was brilliant and very profound
    http://secularlyyours.wordpress.com/
  • Re: Burka perpetuates rape culture??..
     Reply #1 - May 24, 2012, 11:00 PM

Wow. That first image really is something.

"The Quran, that handbook for slavemasters of females, kneels meek before the very physical source of femininity"

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - May 24, 2012, 11:02 PM

May I read this in a day or two, Princess Ness?

Need a clear mind to digest it.
     Reply #3 - May 24, 2012, 11:03 PM

nessrriinn, you might want to put 'NSFW' in the thread name  Smiley

God is Love.

Reply #4 - May 24, 2012, 11:04 PM

Basic points seem sound on a fairly quick scan, but tbh the density of that wall of text makes it a bastard to read. It would really benefit from being split into more manageable chunks.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - May 24, 2012, 11:05 PM

nessrriinn, you might want to put 'NSFW' in the thread name  Smiley

Why? Can't see anything wrong with it at all.

Reply #6 - May 24, 2012, 11:12 PM

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the image. I was thinking more for the sake of people in a library or whatever who might be viewing it.

God is Love.

Reply #7 - May 24, 2012, 11:14 PM

It's not pr0n, therefore is SFW IMO. Smiley

Reply #8 - May 24, 2012, 11:18 PM

You don't need to look very far to see that heavily sexually repressive culture are far more sexually perverse than other cultures.
    Just ask any Indian woman who has to go back to India.  They get groped all the time.  Ditto for the middle east.

Reply #9 - May 24, 2012, 11:22 PM

It's not pr0n, therefore is SFW IMO. Smiley

Well it does no harm either way just in case someone is in an environment where it might be awkward if they're clicking on it for the first time - just a suggestion.

Anyway, who wrote this stuff?

God is Love.

Reply #10 - May 24, 2012, 11:24 PM

Link is in the OP. Site has author's name on it.

Incidentally, the site coding could do with a bit of tweaking.

Reply #11 - May 24, 2012, 11:28 PM

The author should be on here.

Her points are sound; alot of academic language in there though.

God is Love.

Reply #12 - May 24, 2012, 11:39 PM

She's not anonymous - got to admire her for that. Hope she stays safe.

God is Love.

Reply #13 - May 24, 2012, 11:44 PM

i loved reading it and thought the first picture was brilliant and very profound...

Moral of that picture: the Quran is a cunt of a book. parrot

Reply #14 - May 24, 2012, 11:46 PM

it only wishes it was that good..  lol..
     Reply #15 - May 24, 2012, 11:47 PM

i loved reading it and thought the first picture was brilliant and very profound

The byline / description with it is very profound too.

God is Love.

Reply #16 - May 24, 2012, 11:48 PM

it only wishes it was that good..  lol..

Yeah I know. Lacks the depth and warmth. Cheesy

Reply #17 - May 24, 2012, 11:52 PM

The byline / description with it is very profound too.

yes  exactly..
    from what i can see, she's a new blogger, but i think she's going to be worth keeping an eye on..

os! ....i'm a lil speechless all of a sudden .. lmao!
     Reply #18 - May 24, 2012, 11:55 PM

Oh that line was one of Jema's I think, or Nessa. She threw it at Prince one day after someone called him a cunt. I thought it was brilliant. Cheesy

Reply #19 - May 24, 2012, 11:57 PM

i would have guessed ishina!! lol.. she's brilliant like that.. either way i have to remember that one for future reference  Cheesy ..
     Reply #20 - May 25, 2012, 12:01 AM

:/ Guessing she has a lot of hate mail, if not including threats, based on that first picture alone...

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #21 - May 25, 2012, 12:02 AM

May I read this in a day or two, Princess Ness?

Need a clear mind to digest it.

you just take your sweet time there David..    001_wub
     Reply #22 - May 25, 2012, 12:09 AM

Alishaba Zarmeen .............................

Alishaba Zarmeen .....  Alishaba Zarmeen ....  Pakistani at its best .. you go girl...

..........  Alishaba Zarmeen

"Your pen is bigger than any gun ever produced in land of pure   Alishaba"..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #23 - May 25, 2012, 12:56 AM

That's me and that's my blog! Smiley
    Thanks for the support!
    And that burka post is academic b/c it was a paper I wrote for my Lipstick & Jihad -- Islam & Feminism class.
     Reply #24 - May 25, 2012, 01:01 AM

Moral of that picture: the Quran is a cunt of a book. parrot

it only wishes it was that good..  lol..

QUOTE QUOTE!
     Reply #25 - May 25, 2012, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the support!
    And that burka post is academic b/c it was a paper I wrote for my Lipstick & Jihad -- Islam & Feminism class.

oh my goodness she is here.. Is that really you?  really really Alishba??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #26 - May 25, 2012, 01:32 AM

No, it's the Easter Bunny pretending to be her. bunny

Reply #27 - May 25, 2012, 01:34 AM

Cheesy It is weird that she's appeared here straight after that post was made. First post and all.  Cheesy
     Reply #28 - May 25, 2012, 01:39 AM

Methinks Nessie may have emailed her or something.  Wink

Anyway, we should conduct the traditional cermonies.

Thanks for the support!

Welcome to the forum, Alishba. parrot

Reply #29 - May 25, 2012, 01:49 AM

^^ True Os.

Welcome Alishba!  grin12 bunny
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »