Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Shafilea Ahmed murder: parents 'killed daughter for dating boys'

(Read 16970 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Shafilea Ahmed murder: parents 'killed daughter for dating boys'
     OP - May 22, 2012, 07:19 PM

A Muslim teenager was murdered by her parents because she refused to let them “crush her will” and resisted their plans for an arranged marriage, a court heard yesterday.

Shafilea Ahmed, 17, was killed for bringing “shame” on her Pakistani-born parents by leading a Western way of life and trying to go on dates with boys.

The case came before Chester Crown Court yesterday after her sister broke her eight-year silence and told police she saw her parents kill Miss Ahmed.

The court was told that Iftikhar Ahmed, 52, and his wife Farzana, 49, had spent a year trying to force their daughter to adopt a stricter way of life. They allegedly murdered her at the family home in Warrington, Cheshire, on Sept 11, 2003, after deciding they would never succeed.

Andrew Edis, QC, prosecuting, told the jury: “They finally killed her because she had dishonoured the family and brought shame on them. They had despaired of her ever becoming a daughter they could ever be proud of.”

Mr and Mrs Ahmed both deny murder.

Miss Ahmed’s badly decomposed body was found in early 2004 beside a river in the Lake District.

Mr Edis said police carried out a lengthy investigation but failed to solve the mystery of her death.

However, in August 2010, Miss Ahmed’s younger sister, Rukish, claimed she had been a witness to the killing. It was, said Mr Edis, the final piece in the puzzle.

The Telegraph
  • Re: Shafilea Ahmed murder: parents 'killed daughter for dating boys'
     Reply #1 - May 22, 2012, 07:49 PM

I just want to look away when I see these kinds of stories these days. Its too dark for me to contemplate. Saw some detail on how she was murdered on the yahoo news page today. Couldn't shake it from my head for a while.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - May 23, 2012, 12:02 AM

Mind you, the case is still ongoing.  It is entirely possible that the sister is lying.

It was not until 2010 that her sister provided the "final piece of the puzzle" about her death, the court has been told.

Ms Ahmed had been arrested in 2010 for being involved in a robbery at her parents' home, in which three masked men tied up her mother, two sisters and brother.

Six days later she alleged to police that her parents had killed Shafilea.

So she kept this secret for 6 years, until she was arrested for being involved in a robbery?
    It will be interesting to see how the case progresses.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • 17 year old Shafilea Ahmed is back in the news...
     Reply #3 - May 23, 2012, 12:08 AM

17 year old Shafilea Ahmed is back in the news...

23-year-old Alesha says her sister was suffocated to death by parents ..

LONDON: Alesha, the younger sister of a murdered British Pakistani girl, Shafilea Ahmed, told police she saw her parents kill her sister by forcing a bag into her mouth and suffocating her, a British court heard on Tuesday.

Iftikhar and Farzana Ahmed are accused of killing their 17-year-old daughter Shafilea at their family home in Warrington in September 2003. The murder was allegedly witnessed by Alesha, now 23, who kept the secret for seven years.

The prosecutor, Andrew Edis QC, told the Chester Crown Court, “She (Alesha) describes what is an act of suffocation by both her parents acting together. She (Shafilea) had a bag forced into her mouth.” Edis said Alesha would tell the court how she saw her parents in the kitchen of their home with bin bags and tape, wrapping the body up. “She looked out of the window and saw her father with a large object wrapped in bin bags. She assumed that was the body of her sister. She then heard a car driving off,” Edis said.

Shafilea’s decomposed remains were discovered in Cumbria in February 2004, but it was not until 2010 that her sister Alesha provided the ‘final piece of the puzzle’ about her death. Edis told the jury that Alesha was arrested in 2010 for involvement in a robbery at her parents’ home, in which three masked men tied up her mother, two sisters and a brother. Six days later she told police her parents had killed Shafilea, he said.  

And that smiling girl is   17 year old Shafilea Ahmed..

Now she would have been 27 year old  wonderful citizen of this little planet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuwRmbyuHkM

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - May 23, 2012, 12:15 AM

Poems by Shafiela Ahmed

Happy Families

I don’t pretend like we’re the perfect family no more
    Desire to live is burning
    My stomach is turning
    But all they think about is honour
    I was like a normal teenage kid
    Didn’t ask 2 much
    I jus wanted to fit in
    But my culture was different
    But my family ignored
    Now I’m sitting here
    Playing happy families
    Still crying tears
    But no we’re a happy family
    I have these fears
    I wish, I wish, I wish
    For a happy family
    I lay in bed hoping the next day would be better
    It was just a thought
    Because it never happened no
    But I still dream of this today yeah hey
    I wish my parents would be proud of wot I done
    Instead it’s you’ve have bought shame
    Or something else lame
    I don’t wanna hear this no more
    No no no.
    I Feel Trapped

I feel trapped, so stuck I don’t wot 2 do the feeling is mutual, I don’t know how to explain
    Im a trapped so trapped (so trapped )
    Now u know where I stand, when I fall back I got no where else to land
    I don’t know how to say
    I’m trapped so trapped I’m trapped wit u.
    It was my last year in school, so happy with my friends I got lots to do —
    But came this day when everything changed
    I came home it seemed like a normal day
    But sumthing wasn’t right —-
    I wish I coulda changed the event
    I shoulda killed myself instead
    I’d rather have been dead
    Coz now I have a burden on my chest
    And no it won’t go away, the guilt, the pain
    When I look back on things I coulda changed coulda stop, prevented, exchanged
    But i had to turn out this way (so trapped)
    Now I’m sitting on my window bay
    Looking at the rain —-
    Drowning sorrow and pain
    Will this ever go away —-
    I feel trapped so trapped, I’m trapped
    I’m trapped, so trapped I’m trapped
    (I don’t know wot do) I feel trapped.
    But my family ignored

I feel trapped so trapped, I’m trapped
    I’m trapped, so trapped I’m trapped
    ... Shafiela

Reply #5 - May 23, 2012, 01:36 AM

Cry
     Reply #6 - May 23, 2012, 01:47 AM

I just want to look away when I see these kinds of stories these days. Its too dark for me to contemplate. Saw some detail on how she was murdered on the yahoo news page today. Couldn't shake it from my head for a while.

Same here Billy, one of the reasons I don't watch the news any more, just makes me want to cry and scream at the same time. I can't understand how it happens, how the world goes on when people are hurt and murdered, family members against family members. Too much sorrow and pain in this world. So much trauma and pain.

Why? I just don't understand why. Poor girl, who protected her? No one, she went under the radar and vanished from this life and the world keeps turning.

I saw this on the tv yesterday when I went to a local shop on the way home and picked up some take-away, and I literally turned away when I realized what the report was about. Just cannot see any more of this.

Mind you, the case is still ongoing.  It is entirely possible that the sister is lying.

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18161066So she kept this secret for 6 years, until she was arrested for being involved in a robbery?
    It will be interesting to see how the case progresses.

Why would she be lying? To get out of robbery charges?

People do hold these sorts of things for years before telling. It's not easy to go into a police station and tell them when it's your family, it's not something that's easy to talk about at all. The dread, the thinking maybe it's somehow your fault that somehow you could've prevented it, and thinking that maybe they would do the same to you, and the thinking that you will get in trouble for having witnessed it, and each year that goes by it gets harder and harder to tell, not to mention the fact that you wonder if there would be any point in telling and would destroy the family, the shame of the fact that you are blood to the same people who murdered your sibling, and so on and so forth.

Having been involved in a robbery doesn't surprise me, kids who go through significant trauma at the hands of their parents are at higher risk or being involved in illegal activities, not to mention more likely to act out.
     Reply #7 - May 23, 2012, 09:51 AM

Yeah it was the detail of how she was allegedly killed which I read in the headline of the yahoo news that gave me a waking nightmare for a little while. Its details that make it so horrible, especially when it was next to a picture of her smiling. Just horrible.

God is Love.

Reply #8 - May 23, 2012, 09:08 PM

Why would she be lying? To get out of robbery charges?

People do hold these sorts of things for years before telling. It's not easy to go into a police station and tell them when it's your family, it's not something that's easy to talk about at all. The dread, the thinking maybe it's somehow your fault that somehow you could've prevented it, and thinking that maybe they would do the same to you, and the thinking that you will get in trouble for having witnessed it, and each year that goes by it gets harder and harder to tell, not to mention the fact that you wonder if there would be any point in telling and would destroy the family, the shame of the fact that you are blood to the same people who murdered your sibling, and so on and so forth.

Having been involved in a robbery doesn't surprise me, kids who go through significant trauma at the hands of their parents are at higher risk or being involved in illegal activities, not to mention more likely to act out.

I take your point, Da_Dude.

I was just being a devil's advocate. I was being sceptical and prudent. Although, I have to say that the more detail her sister gives about the abuse her parents meted out, the more believable she is. I am, in fact, inclined to believe her, but the court case needs to run its course.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #9 - May 24, 2012, 08:07 AM

Yea.  I was a major thief, started stealing at 7, which is pretty much when the abuse started.

Anyway my older sister arranged to have my step mother robbed many years after she left home (she set a bunch of guys onto her and they robbed her of all her moroccan gold on the way back from a wedding....moroccans wear solid gold belts, the thicker the richer you are).  Think the rage over what was done to us was too much for her and this was one way she felt she could revenge on them.  So even though this girl was caught involved in a robbery at her own parents house, it means nothing.  It just means too much trauma and heartache has removed boundaries of crime and family that regular people would never contemplate.

I never approved and I was disgusted when I found out what she had done, but I'm not the revenge type.

It could be that this sister cracked, felt betrayed by her murderous parents, robbed them and then realised that it was time to tell the truth.  Not to save her own skin, but because if it wasn't for her parents, if it wasn't for losing her sister to murder, she wouldn't have been robbing in the first place. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #10 - May 24, 2012, 08:10 AM

I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't shop-lifted as a teenager. It's a part of growing up.
     Reply #11 - May 24, 2012, 08:30 AM

I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't shop-lifted as a teenager. It's a part of growing up.

I feel sorry for kids with fucking hippy parents who didn't teach them the value of property rights.

@thread

The whole thing is so sad. This young woman had so much courage and guts, but unfortunately those traits are not selected for amongst humans.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #12 - May 24, 2012, 08:33 AM

My parents? Hippies? Cheesy
     Reply #13 - May 24, 2012, 09:33 AM

moroccans wear solid gold belts, the thicker the richer you are).

YOU TOO?  Cheesy

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #14 - May 24, 2012, 09:34 AM

Don't feel sorry for me. I grew up just fine.

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #15 - May 24, 2012, 10:05 AM

I stole a tomato thing-a-magic (you know the ones where you squirt out the tomato sauce from the middle) at the age of 5 from a fish and chip shop. Walked out with it under my dress. My mother saw me with my hand under my dress and says, "What is that you've got?" I show her and she takes it from me and makes me go back with her. The guy at the fish and chip shop had a huge mustache, which I secretly envied and ever since wished I was a guy so I could grow a mustache like that. He gave me a huge lecture about how I would go to jail if I ever stole again. That was the end of my shop stealing ways as a child.

Then at the age of 14 I started stealing again, this time it was mainly books and magazines and tampons and art-supplies. I also started using the phone late at night when everyone was asleep calling friends as I wasn't allowed to use the phone, got really smart at it too so that my parents wouldn't know by calling random numbers after I was done with the phone so that if they hit redial they would get some random number instead.

At 14 I also started walking the streets at night or when everyone thought I was busy, would climb out of the bedroom window walking the streets hoping that some guy would pick me up and murder me. Really sick I know, at the time I couldn't understand what was wrong with me, why on earth I was doing that, how stupid how sick, but looking back I know that I was just really, really messed in the head.

I wanted to die and my own suicide attempts hadn't worked so I hoped that some sicko would pick me up and kill me instead. For some reason I'd chicken out every time a guy would slow down and ask me if I wanted a ride, or if I wanted to service them, or insist that they take me somewhere and every time I'd just run off as fast as I could and cry 'cause I couldn't understand what was wrong with me, why was I doing that. Every time I'd hate myself for walking the streets and everytime I'd hate myself for not going through with it and just fucking getting my death over and done with. Had one guy actually get out of his car to try to grab me, but I was fast and ducked him and ran back home. That ended when my father one day caught me and bashed me senseless. Thank fuck I never did get picked up, but fucking hell was I messed in the head.

I remember wishing my parents would die in a car crash, even prayed for it and felt so guilty, so bad, so evil to want that. I had so many fantasies of hurting my father, and felt so bad about them. But I felt completely powerless, was so scared of my father that I couldn't do anything or escape the hell I was living in and couldn't make him stop.

14 years old was the age I was when my father started using me, and was the age I started acting out the most, even though at younger ages I'd been sexually abused by an uncle which had started when I was 5 and stopped by the time I was 12, but all the same, for some reason at earlier ages I'd been content with just the self-harming, and by the time I was 14 I'd graduated onto suicide attempts, stealing, and trying to get guys to pick me up on the streets to murder me. I was so messed up in the head and couldn't understand what was wrong with me, I hated myself so much and couldn't understand why I hadn't died, why I'd survived, why was I still alive and how to change myself so that men wouldn't want me in that way and how to make it so that the bad things would stop happening. I really believed it was all my fault, for some reason I'd been born on this earth to suffer endlessly and I didn't know how to make myself different so that people wouldn't need to hurt me any more.

I was one messed up kid, hence why when I see kids acting out it really makes me wonder what have they been through and what's the real reason behind why they are doing it.
     Reply #16 - May 24, 2012, 10:12 AM

YOU TOO?  Cheesy

Yea.  as I was typing it I was thinking I bet Naerys knows about this too. Grin

You know my dad is a mean man, he used to tell my step mum he wouldn't buy her a gold belt til she lost some weight since he wasn't that rich.  So she bought her own.

Reply #17 - May 24, 2012, 10:18 AM

I stole a tomato thing-a-magic (you know the ones where you squirt out the tomato sauce from the middle) at the age of 5 from a fish and chip shop. Walked out with it under my dress. My mother saw me with my hand under my dress and says, "What is that you've got?" I show her and she takes it from me and makes me go back with her. The guy at the fish and chip shop had a huge mustache, which I secretly envied and ever since wished I was a guy so I could grow a mustache like that. He gave me a huge lecture about how I would go to jail if I ever stole again. That was the end of my shop stealing ways as a child.

Then at the age of 14 I started stealing again, this time it was mainly books and magazines and tampons and art-supplies. I also started using the phone late at night when everyone was asleep calling friends as I wasn't allowed to use the phone, got really smart at it too so that my parents wouldn't know by calling random numbers after I was done with the phone so that if they hit redial they would get some random number instead.

At 14 I also started walking the streets at night or when everyone thought I was busy, would climb out of the bedroom window walking the streets hoping that some guy would pick me up and murder me. Really sick I know, at the time I couldn't understand what was wrong with me, why on earth I was doing that, how stupid how sick, but looking back I know that I was just really, really messed in the head.

I wanted to die and my own suicide attempts hadn't worked so I hoped that some sicko would pick me up and kill me instead. For some reason I'd chicken out every time a guy would slow down and ask me if I wanted a ride, or if I wanted to service them, or insist that they take me somewhere and every time I'd just run off as fast as I could and cry 'cause I couldn't understand what was wrong with me, why was I doing that. Every time I'd hate myself for walking the streets and everytime I'd hate myself for not going through with it and just fucking getting my death over and done with. Had one guy actually get out of his car to try to grab me, but I was fast and ducked him and ran back home. That ended when my father one day caught me and bashed me senseless. Thank fuck I never did get picked up, but fucking hell was I messed in the head.

I remember wishing my parents would die in a car crash, even prayed for it and felt so guilty, so bad, so evil to want that. I had so many fantasies of hurting my father, and felt so bad about them. But I felt completely powerless, was so scared of my father that I couldn't do anything or escape the hell I was living in and couldn't make him stop.

14 years old was the age I was when my father started using me, and was the age I started acting out the most, even though at younger ages I'd been sexually abused by an uncle which had started when I was 5 and stopped by the time I was 12, but all the same, for some reason at earlier ages I'd been content with just the self-harming, and by the time I was 14 I'd graduated onto suicide attempts, stealing, and trying to get guys to pick me up on the streets to murder me. I was so messed up in the head and couldn't understand what was wrong with me, I hated myself so much and couldn't understand why I hadn't died, why I'd survived, why was I still alive and how to change myself so that men wouldn't want me in that way and how to make it so that the bad things would stop happening. I really believed it was all my fault, for some reason I'd been born on this earth to suffer endlessly and I didn't know how to make myself different so that people wouldn't need to hurt me any more.

I was one messed up kid, hence why when I see kids acting out it really makes me wonder what have they been through and what's the real reason behind why they are doing it.

Such a painful look back at your life, it's amazing that you are here now, still able to laugh and still able to keep trying.  You know they say women with children are less vunerable to suicide, so that's our blessing right.  If not for us and the broken things we think of ourselves, at least for our children and the sort of life we want to give them.  I have learned to love myself through the eyes of my children.  It barely touches your background, or helps with the lonely broken moments, but it helps keep us grounded and moving forward.

This hugs  << doesn't really express what I want to express, but I think you get it.  We get by da_dude, there is pain in memory but we get by hugs

Reply #18 - May 24, 2012, 10:21 AM

Yea.  as I was typing it I was thinking I bet Naerys knows about this too. Grin

You know my dad is a mean man, he used to tell my step mum he wouldn't buy her a gold belt til she lost some weight since he wasn't that rich.  So she bought her own.

We have a relative who wears her own weight in gold at weddings. Her belt must weigh like 10 kilos.

I recently heard (and actually saw) of a very weird tradition we have. When a bride is at her wedding party, she mustn't wear a belt and wear her gown loose.... until her unmarried brother-in-law (if she hasn't one, any unmarried male relative of her husband's) wraps it around her. I never understood the meaning behind the symbol but it REALLY creeps me out.

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #19 - May 24, 2012, 10:29 AM

far away hug to both Dude and Berbs.

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #20 - May 24, 2012, 10:30 AM

err yea that would creep me out.   wacko

far away hug to both Dude and Berbs.

Thanks Naerys hugs

Reply #21 - May 24, 2012, 10:32 AM

That sounds like the kind of thing Borat would say happens in his village  wacko

God is Love.

Reply #22 - May 24, 2012, 10:51 AM

Such a painful look back at your life, it's amazing that you are here now, still able to laugh and still able to keep trying.  You know they say women with children are less vunerable to suicide, so that's our blessing right.  If not for us and the broken things we think of ourselves, at least for our children and the sort of life we want to give them.  I have learned to love myself through the eyes of my children.  It barely touches your background, or helps with the lonely broken moments, but it helps keep us grounded and moving forward.

This hugs  << doesn't really express what I want to express, but I think you get it.  We get by da_dude, there is pain in memory but we get by hugs

Thanks Berbs, it's so true about having kids decreases women's risk of suicide, when I was going through the family law court case with my X I said to my psychologist so many times that the only reason I was alive and hadn't done myself in was 'cause of my kids. My kids are also the reason I stopped self-harming 'cause I don't want them to see wounds on my arms and ask me why.
    I look at them and know that it's worth it, they are worth surviving for and need me to be strong and together.

You are so brave Berbs.  hugs
     Reply #23 - May 24, 2012, 02:48 PM

No sane person should have any reason to kill. This is just depressing. What century are living in??!!

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #24 - May 24, 2012, 03:07 PM

No sane person should have any reason to kill. This is just depressing. What century are living in??!!

but that is nothing to do with Islam., all Muslim women  are supposed to be like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Odjx_XPxA

if they are not then elders and parents .. mullahs.. governments..brothers, fathers, uncles.. should take appropriate measures to make women behave in society..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwZEWoX2wv4

Reply #25 - May 24, 2012, 04:14 PM

I dnot particularly want to click on the second video there, perhaps a non gruesome explanation of what is going on it ?

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #26 - May 24, 2012, 08:46 PM

Don't feel sorry for me, you're just trying to make yourself feel better for having shop-lifted.  Tongue

Reply #27 - May 25, 2012, 11:04 AM

I can take the point on board about why it has taken so long for the girls sister to come clean about this, maybe to save her own back, however on the other hand the accusations can't be ignored.

To me it comes across as what the deal is if she was dressing westernised?

According to interpretations that get thrown to me is that women don't have to dress in hijabs and burkas its a choice( Which i feel is what the parents wanted her to dress in)

Also they say dress modestly and decently. I suppose that means no mini skirts and low cut tops, which i dunno if she was going that far dressing like that. Alot of girls wear t shirts and maybe jeans and yet that is interpreted as indecent etc also i think.

I do find it hard to believe every single girl dresses in traditional clothing out of their own accord.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

https://twitter.com/#!/BornWithNoSoul
     Reply #28 - May 25, 2012, 01:37 PM

No it's not, and I can proudly say I haven't ever stolen anything. Don't feel sorry for me, you're just trying to make yourself feel better for having shop-lifted.  Tongue

You're taking my words too literally. I wouldn't do it now because I know I would have to suffer the consequences, but a teenager isn't supposed to be obedient.
     Reply #29 - May 25, 2012, 01:52 PM

I have no idea why I started talking about shop-lifting. I was obviously too tired.
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »