Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Is Islam the only religion that hates dogs.

(Read 10817 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Is Islam the only religion that hates dogs.
     OP - May 22, 2012, 06:00 PM

I'm doing a research paper about Chinese mythology and I was reading up how in ancient China, dogs were kept as protection against demons and evil spirits. And thinking about it many other cultures around the world, dogs are held in a high esteem as gaurdians. So I was wondering if Islam was the only religion/ culture that believes/ debates of dogs are unclean and should not be kept around people? And if the idea of dogs being unclean has been challenged as it is an uncommon belief in the world.

Also out of curiosity where was it said that dogs were unclean in Islam.

And don't say Muhammad was jealous because dogs could lick their own balls and he could not Angry that is not the answer I'm looking for.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • Re: Is Islam the only religion that hates dogs.
     Reply #1 - May 22, 2012, 06:05 PM

The Pre-Islamic Arabs also reverred dogs as sacred. Which is maybe why Mo didn't like dogs.

In Yemen there was a Pagan temple to some God (forgotten the name) that had a "sacred black dog". When the King of Yemen converted to Judaism he had the temple closed down and the dog killed. This occcured about 70 years prior to Muhammad. It is mentioned in Ibn Ishaq.
     Reply #2 - May 22, 2012, 06:37 PM

Hmm interesting. So the attitudes towards dogs isn't a cultural thing, it's Islam specific because of Muhammad's own issues with dogs

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #3 - May 22, 2012, 06:52 PM

And don't say Muhammad was jealous because dogs could lick their own balls and he could not Angry that is not the answer I'm looking for.

Obviously that's not the answer, because if it were, he would've also have had a negative attitude towards cats on the count of them being able to lick their own assholes.
     Reply #4 - May 22, 2012, 08:30 PM

I've heard black dogs were particularly vicious (dunno if it's limited to that time in history or just a general thing). Perhaps that's why?

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #5 - May 23, 2012, 06:13 PM

Why did Muhammad hate BLACK dogs? what about white dogs, beige dogs, red dogs, etc?? But why hating black dogs most?

Remember how Muhammad called people by ugly names as was his habit. He was in habit of calling Christians pigs and Jews apes. Guess what he called the Africans. He called them BLACK DOGS. He called his despised slaves DOGS. Muhammad called Africans "pug-nosed," "raisin heads," etc.
    Why did Muhammad call the black people PUG-NOSED? All black dogs are pug-nosed.
     Reply #6 - May 23, 2012, 07:19 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynocephaly

Go to the site - gorgeous pictures.

My immediate reaction is that we are looking at the end of a very complex history and the first thing that needs to be done is to dump all stories relating it to Uncle Mo.

It possibly is traceable but needs an international team of historians working on the problem!

Cynocephaly
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Doghead" redirects here. For other meanings, see Doghead (disambiguation).

The condition of cynocephaly, having the head of a dog — or of a jackal— is a widely attested mythical phenomenon existing in many different forms and contexts.

Cynocephaly is taken from the Latin word cynocephalus, meaning "dog-head", which derives from Greek: κῠνοκέφᾰλοι. The prefix "cyno-" comes from the combining form of Greek: κύων meaning "dog". This prefix forms compound words having "the sense of dog". The suffix "-cephalic" comes from the Latin word cephalicus, meaning "head". This word finds its roots in Greek: κεφαλικός (kephalikos) meaning "capital" from Greek: κεφαλή (kephalē) meaning "head". The suffix "-cephaly", specifically, means "a specific condition or disease of the head". This together forms "a dog-like condition or disease of the head". The phrase cynocephaly also gave birth to the term cynomorph which means "dog-like". This phrase is used primarily as Cynomorpha, a sub-group of the family Cercopithecidae. This family of primates are known as "dog-like apes" and contain many species of macaques and baboons.

[edit]Ancient Greece and Egypt

Cynocephaly was familiar to the Ancient Greeks from representations of the Egyptian gods Hapi (the son of Horus) and Anubis (the Egyptian god of the dead). The Greek word (Greek: κῠνοκέφᾰλοι) "dog-head" also identified a sacred Egyptian baboon with the face of a dog.[1]

Reports of dog-headed races can also be traced back to Greek antiquity. In the fifth century BC, the Greek physician Ctesias wrote a detailed report on the existence of cynocephali in India.[2] Similarly, the Greek traveller Megasthenes claimed to know about dog-headed people in India who lived in the mountains, communicated through barking, wore the skins of wild animals and lived by hunting.[3]

[edit]Late Antiquity

The "cynocephali" offered such an evocative image of the magic and brutality deemed characteristic of bizarre people of distant places, that it kept returning in medieval literature. Augustine of Hippo mentioned the Cynocephali in City of God, Book XVI, Chapter 8, in the context of discussing whether such beings were descendants of Adam; he considered the possibility that they might not exist at all, or might not be human (which Augustine defines as being a mortal and rational animal: homo, id est animal rationale mortale), but insisted that if they were human they were indeed descendants of Adam.

[edit]Medieval East

Cynocephali also figure in medieval Christian world-views. A legend that placed St. Andrew and St. Bartholomew among the Parthians presented the case of "Abominable", the citizen of the "city of cannibals... whose face was like unto that of a dog." After receiving baptism, however, he was released from his doggish aspect.[4]

[edit]Saint Christopher

In the Eastern Orthodox Church, certain icons covertly identify Saint Christopher with the head of a dog. The background to the dog-headed Christopher is laid in the reign of the Emperor Diocletian, when a man named Reprebus, Rebrebus or Reprobus (the "reprobate" or "scoundrel") was captured in combat against tribes dwelling to the west of Egypt in Cyrenaica. To the unit of soldiers, according to the hagiographic narrative, was assigned the name numerus Marmaritarum or "Unit of the Marmaritae", which suggests an otherwise-unidentified "Marmaritae" (perhaps the same as the Marmaricae Berber tribe of Cyrenaica). He was reported to be of enormous size, with the head of a dog instead of a man, apparently a characteristic of the Marmaritae. This Byzantine depiction of St. Christopher as dog-headed resulted from their misinterpretation of the Latin term Cananeus to read canineus, that is, "canine."[5]

The German bishop and poet Walter of Speyer portrayed St. Christopher as a giant of a cynocephalic species in the land of the Chananeans (the "canines" of Canaan in the New Testament) who ate human flesh and barked. Eventually, Christopher met the Christ child, regretted his former behavior, and received baptism. He, too, was rewarded with a human appearance, whereupon he devoted his life to Christian service and became an athlete of God, one of the soldier-saints.[6]

[edit]Medieval West

Paul the Deacon mentions cynocephali in his Historia gentis Langobardorum: "They pretend that they have in their camps Cynocephali, that is, men with dogs' heads. They spread the rumor among the enemy that these men wage war obstinately, drink human blood and quaff their own gore if they cannot reach the foe."[7] At the court of Charlemagne the Norse were given this attribution, implying un-Christian and less-than-human qualities: "I am greatly saddened" said the King of the Franks, in Notker's Life, "that I have not been thought worthy to let my Christian hand sport with these dog-heads."[8]

The ninth-century Frankish theologian Ratramnus wrote a letter, the Epistola de Cynocephalis, on whether the Cynocephali should be considered human.[9] Quoting St. Jerome, Thomas of Cantimpré corroborated the existence of Cynocephali in his Liber de Monstruosis Hominibus Orientis, xiv, ("Book of Monstrous men of the Orient"). The thirteenth-century encyclopedist Vincent of Beauvais acquainted his patron Saint Louis IX of France with "an animal with the head of the dog but with all other members of human appearance… Though he behaves like a man… and, when peaceful, he is tender like a man, when furious, he becomes cruel and retaliates on humankind".[10]

In Anglo-Saxon England, the Old English word wulfes heafod ("wolf's head") was a technical term for an outlaw, who could be killed as if he were a wolf. The so-called Leges Edwardi Confessoris, written around 1140, however, offered a somewhat literal interpretation: “[6.2a] For from the day of his outlawry he bears a wolf's head, which is called wluesheued by the English. [6.2b] And this sentence is the same for all outlaws.”[11] Cynocephali appear in the Old Welsh poem Pa Gur? as cinbin (dogheads). Here they are enemies of King Arthur's retinue; Arthur's men fight them in the mountains of Eidyn (Edinburgh), and hundreds of them fall at the hand of Arthur's warrior Bedwyr (later known as Bedivere).[12] The next lines of the poem also mention a fight with a character named Garwlwyd (Rough-Gray); a Gwrgi Garwlwyd (Man-Dog Rough-Gray) appears in one of the Welsh Triads, where he is described in such a way that scholars have discussed him as a werewolf......[13][14]
    [edit]

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #7 - May 23, 2012, 10:34 PM

Judaism too. As some Rabbi or other pointed out: “Dogs are described as being noisy [Psalms 59:7-14], greedy [Isaiah 56:11], stupid [Isaiah 56:10], filthy [Proverbs 26:11].... The term "dog" is applied as an insult to humans [I Kings 22:38]. Furthermore, "dog" appears to have been a derogatory designation for male prostitutes [Deuteronomy 23:19].”
     Reply #8 - May 23, 2012, 10:40 PM

Mohammed was the best example for all men for all time, therefore I am sure that Mohammed could in fact lick his own balls.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #9 - May 24, 2012, 04:39 AM

Mohammed was the best example for all men for all time, therefore I am sure that Mohammed could in fact lick his own balls.

Cheesy Cheesy
     Reply #10 - May 24, 2012, 06:06 AM

13-16 million dogs are killed and consumed in Asia every year.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #11 - May 24, 2012, 06:31 AM

I don't know, but I think it's funny I loved dogs when I was a muslim and now I can't stand them. Tongue

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #12 - May 24, 2012, 08:33 AM

http://elbarney.com/portfolio/student_portfolio/withdogs.htm

Human-Canine Relationships

Coevolution, Choices and Challenges

Evelyn Lee Barney

"There is no friendship on this planet as intense, profound, and finally mysterious as that between dogs and humans” (Masson)

The term "coevolution" is used to describe cases where two (or more) species reciprocally affect each other’s evolution. It is most often used to explain coadaptations between species. The coevolution of humans and canines has a long and fascinating history. Researchers estimate that the history of humans and dogs coexisting reaches back 15000 years. Archeologists have found numerous samples of canine fossil remains along with human remains at prehistoric sites.

Our modern domestic canines evolved, by a number of divergent paths, from Asian wolves. The ancestors of our dogs seem to have chosen to live in symbiotic relationship with humans for food, warmth, and eventually, companionship. It is thought that their ability to read social cues began as part of their “pack” lifestyle. It is supposed that those with the most malleable temperament, the intelligence to learn human, as well as canine, social cues, the ability and willingness to assist with human hunts and provide protection for their human companions, were encouraged to remain with the human family-tribe. Wolves with the ability to adapt to living with humans were rare. Genetic testing has shown that 90% of the domestic dogs living today have descended from only 3 early female wolves. (Hair) The natural breeding of these canines and the resulting litters raised with both human and canine support resulted in the first of the domesticated dogs. The animal we know today as the domestic dog has evolved as a human companion from its beginnings. It’s no surprise that dogs became known as “man’s best friend.”

It is interesting to note that chimpanzees, man’s closest animal relation, and wolves, the animal most closely related to the domestic dog, do not have this innate ability to read human social cues. Yet, even puppies born in the wild to modern dogs quickly learn to respond to human gestures. Clearly, humans and dogs have become “hardwired” by evolution for a unique interrelationship.

Most dog owners say that there's something special about the mutual understanding and empathy that exists between humans and dogs. Though most animal behaviorists agree that it is a mistake to anthropomorphize dogs, these same behaviorists disagree about a dog’s actual motivations, and their ability to experience emotion as we understand it. The question “is it love, or self-serving survival instinct that causes a dog to behave towards humans with apparent loyalty and devotion?” continues to be asked. The debate has raged for centuries, and is likely to continue:

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #13 - May 24, 2012, 09:41 AM

Dogs in Religions:OT and NT

1. Exodus 11:7
    But among the Israelites not a dog will bark at any man or animal.' Then you will know that the LORD makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel.

2. Exodus 22:31
    "You are to be my holy people. So do not eat the meat of an animal torn by wild beasts; throw it to the dogs.

3. Judges 7:5
    So Gideon took the men down to the water. There the LORD told him, "Separate those who lap the water with their tongues like a dog from those who kneel down to drink."[/b]

4. 1 Samuel 17:43
    He said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?" And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.[/b]

5. 1 Samuel 24:14
    "Against whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom are you pursuing? A dead dog? A flea?[/b]

6. 2 Samuel 3:8
    Abner was very angry because of what Ish-Bosheth said and he answered, "Am I a dog's head-on Judah's side? This very day I am loyal to the house of your father Saul and to his family and friends. I haven't handed you over to David. Yet now you accuse me of an offense involving this woman![/b]

7. 2 Samuel 9:8
    Mephibosheth bowed down and said, "What is your servant, that you should notice a dead dog like me?"[/b]

8. 2 Samuel 16:9
    Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, "Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and cut off his head."[/b]

9. 1 Kings 14:11
    Dogs will eat those belonging to Jeroboam who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country. The LORD has spoken!'[/b]

10. 1 Kings 16:4
    Dogs will eat those belonging to Baasha who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country."[/b]

11. 1 Kings 21:19
    Say to him, 'This is what the LORD says: Have you not murdered a man and seized his property?' Then say to him, 'This is what the LORD says: In the place where dogs licked up Naboth's blood, dogs will lick up your blood-yes, yours!' "[/b]

12. 1 Kings 21:23
    "And also concerning Jezebel the LORD says: 'Dogs will devour Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.'[/b]

13. 1 Kings 21:24
    "Dogs will eat those belonging to Ahab who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country."[/b]

14. 1 Kings 22:38
    They washed the chariot at a pool in Samaria (where the prostitutes bathed), and the dogs licked up his blood, as the word of the LORD had declared.[/b]

15. 2 Kings 8:13
    Hazael said, "How could your servant, a mere dog, accomplish such a feat?" "The LORD has shown me that you will become king of Aram," answered Elisha.[/b]

16. 2 Kings 9:10
    As for Jezebel, dogs will devour her on the plot of ground at Jezreel, and no one will bury her.' " Then he opened the door and ran.[/b]

17. 2 Kings 9:36
    They went back and told Jehu, who said, "This is the word of the LORD that he spoke through his servant Elijah the Tishbite: On the plot of ground at Jezreel dogs will devour Jezebel's flesh.[/b]

18. Job 18:11
    Terrors startle him on every side and dog his every step.[/b]

19. Job 30:1
    "But now they mock me, men younger than I, whose fathers I would have disdained to put with my sheep dogs.[/b]

20. Psalm 22:16
    Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.[/b]

21. Psalm 22:20
    Deliver my life from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs.[/b]

22. Psalm 59:6
    They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.[/b]

23. Psalm 59:14
    They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.[/b]

24. Psalm 68:23
    that you may plunge your feet in the blood of your foes, while the tongues of your dogs have their share."[/b]

25. Proverbs 26:11
    As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.[/b]

26. Proverbs 26:17
    Like one who seizes a dog by the ears is a passer-by who meddles in a quarrel not his own.[/b]

27. Ecclesiastes 9:4
    Anyone who is among the living has hope -even a live dog is better off than a dead lion![/b]

28. Isaiah 56:10
    Israel's watchmen are blind, they all lack knowledge; they are all mute dogs, they cannot bark; they lie around and dream, they love to sleep.[/b]

29. Isaiah 56:11
    They are dogs with mighty appetites; they never have enough. They are shepherds who lack understanding; they all turn to their own way, each seeks his own gain.[/b]

30. Isaiah 66:3
    But whoever sacrifices a bull is like one who kills a man, and whoever offers a lamb, like one who breaks a dog's neck; whoever makes a grain offering is like one who presents pig's blood, and whoever burns memorial incense, like one who worships an idol. They have chosen their own ways, and their souls delight in their abominations;[/i][/b]

31. Jeremiah 15:3
    "I will send four kinds of destroyers against them," declares the LORD, "the sword to kill and the dogs to drag away and the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth to devour and destroy.[/b]

32. Matthew 7:6
    "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.[/b]

33. Matthew 15:26
    He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."[/b]

34. Matthew 15:27
    "Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."[/b]

35. Mark 7:27
    "First let the children eat all they want," he told her, "for it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."[/b]

36. Mark 7:28
    "Yes, Lord," she replied, "but even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs."[/b]

37. Luke 16:21
    and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.[/b]

38. Philippians 3:2
    Watch out for those dogs, those men who do evil, those mutilators of the flesh.[/b]

39. 2 Peter 2:22
    Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."[/b]

40. Revelation 22:15
    Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #14 - May 24, 2012, 09:54 AM

Dogs in Quran:

7:176 Now had We so willed, We could indeed have exalted him by means of those [messages]: but he always clung to the earth and followed but his own desires. Thus, his parable is that of an [excited] dog: if thou approach him threateningly, he will pant with his tongue lolling; and. if thou leave him alone, he will pant with his tongue lolling.   Such is the parable of those who are bent on giving the lie to Our messages. Tell [them], then, this story, so that they might take thought.

18:18  And thou wouldst have thought that they were awake, whereas they lay asleep. And We caused them to turn over repeatedly, now to the right, now to the left; and their dog  on the threshold, its forepaws outstretched. Hadst thou come upon them , thou wouldst surely have turned away from them in flight, and wouldst surely have been filled with awe of them

18:2 some will say, " three, the fourth of them being their dog," while others will say, "Five, with their dog as the sixth of them" -idly guessing at something of which they can have no knowledge -and [so on, until some will say, "[They were] seven, the eighth of them being their dog." Say: "My Sustainer knows best how many they were. None but a few have any  knowledge of them. Hence, do not argue about them otherwise than by way of an obvious argument, and do not ask any of those [story-tellers] to enlighten thee about them." -  

Reply #15 - May 24, 2012, 11:11 AM

^ YZV, what do the Children of the Cave have to do with anything? Huh?

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #16 - May 24, 2012, 01:57 PM

Totally nothing to do with your thread, but I love your avatar sakura.  Grin  it's awesome.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #17 - May 24, 2012, 02:39 PM

^ YZV, what do the Children of the Cave have to do with anything? Huh?

I  don't know   what  Children of the Cave have to do with anything  but why you are asking me that question Chick pea??

well may be,,  if children and parents  don't have any  place to live in cities then they start living in caves.  same thing goes to dogs..  Who knows why some fellow said something and some fool takes that as word of god??   , I am sure a dog will consider dog"s barking as word of god  instead some linguistic word from human being from some  cave culture  of past..

Herhimit knows the best........  Any way,  i was just making what some religions/their scriptures say about dogs..  on that note let me add hadith  and what it says about dogs..

"dog" appear 79 time(s) in 53 hadith(s) in Bukhari translation.

(1) Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "If a dog drinks from the utensil of anyone of you it is essential to wash it seven times."  (Book #4, Hadith #173)

(2) Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A man saw a dog eating mud from (the severity of) thirst. So, that man took a shoe (and filled it) with water and kept on pouring the water for the dog till it quenched its thirst. So Allah approved of his deed and made him to enter Paradise." And narrated Hamza bin 'Abdullah: My father said. "During the lifetime of Allah's Apostle, the dogs used to urinate, and pass through the mosques (come and go), nevertheless they never used to sprinkle water on it (urine of the dog.)"  (Book #4, Hadith #174)

(3) Narrated 'Adi bin Hatim: I asked the Prophet (about the hunting dogs) and he replied, "If you let loose (with Allah's name) your tamed dog after a game and it hunts it, you may eat it, but if the dog eats of (that game) then do not eat it because the dog has hunted it for itself." I further said, "Sometimes I send my dog for hunting and find another dog with it. He said, "Do not eat the game for you have mentioned Allah's name only on sending your dog and not the other dog."  (Book #4, Hadith #175)

(4) Narrated 'Aisha: Do you make us (women) equal to dogs and donkeys? While I used to lie in my bed, the Prophet would come and pray facing the middle of the bed. I used to consider it not good to stand in front of him in his prayers. So I used to slip away slowly and quietly from the foot of the bed till I got out of my guilt. (Book #9, Hadith #486)

(5) Narrated 'Aisha: The things which annul the prayers were mentioned before me. They said, "Prayer is annulled by a dog, a donkey and a woman (if they pass in front of the praying people)." I said, "You have made us (i.e. women) dogs. I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in my bed between him and the Qibla. Whenever I was in need of something, I would slip away. for I disliked to face him."  (Book #9, Hadith #490)

(6) Narrated 'Aisha: The things which annual prayer were mentioned before me (and those were): a dog, a donkey and a woman. I said, "You have compared us (women) to donkeys and dogs. By Allah! I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in (my) bed between him and the Qibla. Whenever I was in need of something, I disliked to sit and trouble the Prophet. So, I would slip away by the side of his feet."  (Book #9, Hadith #493)

(7) Narrated 'Aisha: It is not good that you people have made us (women) equal to dogs and donkeys. No doubt I saw Allah's Apostle praying while I used to lie between him and the Qibla and when he wanted to prostrate, he pushed my legs and I withdrew them.  (Book #9, Hadith #498)

(Cool Narrated Anas: The Prophet said, "Do the prostration properly and do not put your fore-arms flat with elbows touching the ground like a dog. And if you want to spit, do not spit in front, nor to the right for the person in prayer is speaking in private to his Lord."  (Book #10, Hadith #509)

(9) Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet said, "Be straight in the prostrations and none of you should put his forearms on the ground (in the prostration) like a dog." (Book #12, Hadith #785)

(10) Narrated Hafsa: Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful (of a Muhrim) to kill five kinds of animals, namely: the crow, the kite, the mouse, the scorpion and the rabid dog."  (Book #29, Hadith #54)

well we will continue with rest of hadith..

Reply #18 - May 24, 2012, 02:43 PM

"dog"  in  hadith  Bukhari ......

(11) Narrated Aisha: Allah's Apostle said, "Five kinds of animals are harmful and could be killed in the Haram (Sanctuary). These are: the crow, the kite, the scorpion, the mouse and the rabid dog."  (Book #29, Hadith #55)

(12) Narrated 'Adi bin Hatim: I asked Allah's Apostle about Al Mirad (i.e. a sharp-edged piece of wood or a piece of wood provided with a piece of iron used for hunting). He replied, "If the game is hit by its sharp edge, eat it, and if it is hit by its broad side, do not eat it, for it has been beaten to death." I asked, "O Allah's Apostle! I release my dog by the name of Allah and find with it at the game, another dog on which I have not mentioned the name of Allah, and I do not know which one of them caught the game." Allah's Apostle said (to him), 'Don't eat it as you have mentioned the name of Allah on your dog and not on the other dog."  (Book #34, Hadith #270)

(13) Narrated 'Aun bin Abu Juhaifa: My father bought a slave who practiced the profession of cupping. (My father broke the slave's instruments of cupping). I asked my father why he had done so. He replied, "The Prophet forbade the acceptance of the price of a dog or blood, and also forbade the profession of tattooing, getting tattooed and receiving or giving Riba, (usury), and cursed the picture-makers."  (Book #34, Hadith #299)

(14) Narrated Abu Mas'ud Al-Ansari: Allah's Apostle forbade taking the price of a dog, money earned by prostitution and the earnings of a soothsayer.  (Book #34, Hadith #439)

(15) Narrated Aun bin Abu Juhaifa: I saw my father buying a slave whose profession was cupping, and ordered that his instruments (of cupping) be broken. I asked him the reason for doing so. He replied, "Allah's Apostle prohibited taking money for blood, the price of a dog, and the earnings of a slave-girl by prostitution; he cursed her who tattoos and her who gets tattooed, the eater of Riba (usury), and the maker of pictures." (Book #34, Hadith #440)

(16) Narrated Abu Masud Al-Ansari: Allah's Apostle regarded illegal the price of a dog, the earnings of a prostitute, and the charges taken by a soothsayer.  (Book #36, Hadith #482)

(17) Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever keeps a dog, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily, unless the dog is used for guarding a farm or cattle." Abu Huraira (in another narration) said from the Prophet, "unless it is used for guarding sheep or farms, or for hunting." Narrated Abu Hazim from Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A dog for guarding cattle or for hunting."  (Book #39, Hadith #515)

(18) Narrated As-Sa'ib bin Yazid: Abu Sufyan bin Abu Zuhair, a man from Azd Shanu'a and one of the companions of the Prophet said, "I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'If one keeps a dog which is meant for guarding neither a farm nor cattle, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily." I said, "Did you hear this from Allah's Apostle?" He said, "Yes, by the Lord of this Mosque."  (Book #39, Hadith #516)

(19) Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "While a man was walking he felt thirsty and went down a well and drank water from it. On coming out of it, he saw a dog panting and eating mud because of excessive thirst. The man said, 'This (dog) is suffering from the same problem as that of mine. So he (went down the well), filled his shoe with water, caught hold of it with his teeth and climbed up and watered the dog. Allah thanked him for his (good) deed and forgave him." The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving (the) animals?" He replied, "Yes, there is a reward for serving any animate."  (Book #40, Hadith #551)

(20) Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A man felt very thirsty while he was on the way, there he came across a well. He went down the well, quenched his thirst and came out. Meanwhile he saw a dog panting and licking mud because of excessive thirst. He said to himself, "This dog is suffering from thirst as I did." So, he went down the well again and filled his shoe with water and watered it. Allah thanked him for that deed and forgave him. The people said, "O Allah's Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving the animals?" He replied: "Yes, there is a reward for serving any animate (living being)." (See Hadith No. 551)  (Book #43, Hadith #646)

Reply #19 - May 25, 2012, 01:17 AM

I used to hate dogs due to the hype around them, Haraam! haraam! don't touch it, it will bite you! you'll get awful diseases!

Now I love them, still scared of some dogs though. I want a puppy but 'cause we got no backyard can't have one. My kids keep begging me to get a dog.
     Reply #20 - May 25, 2012, 01:24 AM

Narrated 'Aisha: Do you make us (women) equal to dogs and donkeys? While I used to lie in my bed, the Prophet would come and pray facing the middle of the bed. I used to consider it not good to stand in front of him in his prayers. So I used to slip away slowly and quietly from the foot of the bed till I got out of my guilt. (Book #9, Hadith #486)

I like this one Yeezevee! As we know in most interpretations of Islam if a woman or a dog walk in front of a man making salaat without him having a barrier between the woman and dog, then his prayer is invalidated and he has to start again. Like 'Aisha pointed out all those years ago, in this regards women are on the same level as dogs and donkeys, invalidating a man's prayer if she passes between him and his barrier.

That was yet another tiny thing that used to drive me nuts when I was muslim, if I walked in front of my X when he was praying, even though sometimes he'd pray for hours and I'd need to get something from the otherside of the room and there was no space behind him to walk, then he'd get so mad 'cause he'd have to start over again. What a silly, silly rule! Niyyah means nothing apparently.
     Reply #21 - May 25, 2012, 01:29 AM

Hey something just occurred to me. Is there a similar rule for a man walking in front of a woman while she's praying?

Reply #22 - May 25, 2012, 01:32 AM

Nope Os. Men can walk in front of women as much as they want when women are praying and it won't invalidate her prayer. Same as with wudhu, if a man touches a woman after she's made wudhu, her wudhu is still valid, but if a woman touches a man after he's made wudhu, his wudhu is invalid according to some Islamic interpretations, particularly in the Sha'fi school of thought.
     Reply #23 - May 25, 2012, 01:33 AM

Kinda figured that would be the case. whistling2

Reply #24 - May 25, 2012, 01:47 AM

Now I love them, still scared of some dogs though. I want a puppy but 'cause we got no backyard can't have one. My kids keep begging me to get a dog.

You don't need a backyard to get a dog! I have a dog and no backyard, I live in an apartment. I just take him out for walks three times a day. In fact some dogs are better off in apartments than houses. Your kids will love having a dog, you should get one.
     Reply #25 - May 25, 2012, 01:55 AM

You don't need a backyard to get a dog! I have a dog and no backyard, I live in an apartment. I just take him out for walks three times a day. In fact some dogs are better off in apartments than houses. Your kids will love having a dog, you should get one.

Yeah, well I could do that, my landlord has said to me that I'm allowed to get pets for the kids. I used to have a kitten when I was back with my X but he killed it, kinda made me not want to get a pet again, but I might do that for the kids. Maybe a cat or a dog for the kids, and some love birds and fish for me. Hmmm, animals are so cool!
     Reply #26 - May 25, 2012, 02:08 AM

Nope Os. Men can walk in front of women as much as they want when women are praying and it won't invalidate her prayer.

Never heard this before, might vary by madhab. Source?
     Reply #27 - May 25, 2012, 03:39 AM

I've got a visitor, but I've gotten some links/sources so will post them later when my visitor goes.
     Reply #28 - May 25, 2012, 05:04 AM

I like this one Yeezevee! As we know in most interpretations of Islam if a woman or a dog walk in front of a man making salaat without him having a barrier between the woman and dog, then his prayer is invalidated and he has to start again. Like 'Aisha pointed out all those years ago, in this regards women are on the same level as dogs and donkeys, invalidating a man's prayer if she passes between him and his barrier.

That was yet another tiny thing that used to drive me nuts when I was muslim, if I walked in front of my X when he was praying, even though sometimes he'd pray for hours and I'd need to get something from the otherside of the room and there was no space behind him to walk, then he'd get so mad 'cause he'd have to start over again. What a silly, silly rule! Niyyah means nothing apparently.

well once you start questioning validity of religious scriptures as word of allah/god then everything appears as bull shit or at best common sense/cultural  norm of that time. anyways let us read more on dogs from hadith
    (21) Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet said, "One who takes back his gift (which he has already given) is like a dog that swallows its vomit."  (Book #47, Hadith #762)

(22) Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet said, "The bad example is not for us. He who takes back his present is like a dog that swallows back its vomit."  (Book #47, Hadith #791)

(23) Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab: I gave a horse in Allah's Cause. The person to whom it was given, did not look after it. I intended to buy it from him, thinking that he would sell it cheap. When I asked the Prophet he said, "Don't buy it, even if he gives it to you for one Dirham, as the person who takes back what he has given in charity, is like a dog that swallows back its vomit."  (Book #47, Hadith #792)

(24) Narrated Aslam: I heard 'Umar bin Al-Khattab saying, "I gave a horse to be ridden in Allah's Cause and the person who got it intended to sell it or neglected it. So, I wanted to buy it as I thought he would sell it cheap. I consulted the Prophet who said, "Do not buy it even if for one Dirham, because he who takes back his gift is like a dog swallowing its vomit."  (Book #52, Hadith #247)

(25) Narrated Abu Talha: I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."  (Book #54, Hadith #448)

(26) Narrated Salim's father: Once Gabriel promised the Prophet (that he would visit him, but Gabriel did not come) and later on he said, "We, angels, do not enter a house which contains a picture or a dog."  (Book #54, Hadith #450)

(27) Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet said, "Five kinds of animals are mischief-doers and can be killed even in the Sanctuary: They are the rat the scorpion, the kite, the crow and the rabid dog."  (Book #54, Hadith #531)

(28) Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful of a person in the state of Ihram to kill any of these five animals: The scorpion, the rat, the rabid dog, the crow and the kite."  (Book #54, Hadith #532)

(29) Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that."  (Book #54, Hadith #538)

(30) Narrated Abu Talha: The Prophet said, "Angels do not enter a house witch has either a dog or a picture in it."  (Book #54, Hadith #539)

Reply #29 - May 25, 2012, 05:08 AM

(31) Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed.  (Book #54, Hadith #540)

(32) Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "If somebody keeps a dog, he loses one Qirat (of the reward) of his good deeds everyday, except if he keeps it for the purpose of agriculture or for the protection of livestock. "  (Book #54, Hadith #541)

(33) Narrated Sufyan bin Abi Zuhair Ash-Shani: That he heard Allah's Apostle saying, "If somebody keeps a dog that is neither used for farm work nor for guarding the livestock, he will lose one Qirat (of the reward) of his good deeds everyday." (Book #54, Hadith #542)

(34) Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "While a dog was going round a well and was about to die of thirst, an Israeli prostitute saw it and took off her shoe and watered it. So Allah forgave her because of that good deed."  (Book #56, Hadith #673)

(35) Narrated 'Amr bin Maimun: I saw 'Umar bin Al-Khattab a few days before he was stabbed in Medina. He was standing with Hudhaifa bin Al-Yaman and 'Uthman bin Hunaif to whom he said, "What have you done? Do you think that you have imposed more taxation on the land (of As-Swad i.e. 'Iraq) than it can bear?" They replied, "We have imposed on it what it can bear because of its great yield." 'Umar again said, "Check whether you have imposed on the land what it can not bear." They said, "No, (we haven't)." 'Umar added, "If Allah should keep me alive I will let the widows of Iraq need no men to support them after me." But only four days had elapsed when he was stabbed (to death ). The day he was stabbed, I was standing and there was nobody between me and him (i.e. Umar) except Abdullah bin 'Abbas. Whenever Umar passed between the two rows, he would say, "Stand in straight lines." When he saw no defect (in the rows), he would go forward and start the prayer with Takbir. He would recite Surat Yusuf or An-Nahl or the like in the first Rak'a so that the people may have the time to Join the prayer. As soon as he said Takbir, I heard him saying, "The dog has killed or eaten me," at the time he (i.e. the murderer) stabbed him. A non-Arab infidel proceeded on carrying a double-edged knife and stabbing all the persons he passed by on the right and left (till) he stabbed thirteen persons out of whom seven died. When one of the Muslims saw that, he threw a cloak on him. Realizing that he had been captured, the non-Arab infidel killed himself, 'Umar held the hand of 'Abdur-Rahman bin Auf and let him lead the prayer. Those who were standing by the side of 'Umar saw what I saw, but the people who were in the other parts of the Mosque did not see anything, but they lost the voice of 'Umar and they were saying, "Subhan Allah! Subhan Allah! (i.e. Glorified be Allah)." Abdur-Rahman bin Auf led the people a short prayer. When they finished the prayer, 'Umar said, "O Ibn 'Abbas! Find out who attacked me." Ibn 'Abbas kept on looking here and there for a short time and came to say. "The slave of Al Mughira." On that 'Umar said, "The craftsman?" Ibn 'Abbas said, "Yes." 'Umar said, "May Allah curse him. I did not treat him unjustly. All the Praises are for Allah Who has not caused me to die at the hand of a man who claims himself to be a Muslim. No doubt, you and your father (Abbas) used to love to have more non-Arab infidels in Medina." Al-Abbas had the greatest number of slaves. Ibn 'Abbas said to 'Umar. "If you wish, we will do." He meant, "If you wish we will kill them." 'Umar said, "You are mistaken (for you can't kill them) after they have spoken your language, prayed towards your Qibla, and performed Hajj like yours." Then Umar was carried to his house, and we went along with him, and the people were as if they had never suffered a calamity before. Some said, "Do not worry (he will be Alright soon)." Some said, "We are afraid (that he will die)." Then an infusion of dates was brought to him and he drank it but it came out (of the wound) of his belly. Then milk was brought to him and he drank it, and it also came out of his belly. The people realized that he would die. We went to him, and the people came, praising him. A young man came saying, "O chief of the believers! Receive the glad tidings from Allah to you due to your company with Allah's Apostle and your superiority in Islam which you know. Then you became the ruler (i.e. Caliph) and you ruled with justice and finally you have been martyred." 'Umar said, "I wish that all these privileges will counterbalance (my shortcomings) so that I will neither lose nor gain anything." When the young man turned back to leave, his clothes seemed to be touching the ground. 'Umar said, "Call the young man back to me." (When he came back) 'Umar said, "O son of my brother! Lift your clothes, for this will keep your clothes clean and save you from the Punishment of your Lord." 'Umar further said, "O 'Abdullah bin 'Umar! See how much I am in debt to others." When the debt was checked, it amounted to approximately eighty-six thousand. 'Umar said, "If the property of 'Umar's family covers the debt, then pay the debt thereof; otherwise request it from Bani 'Adi bin Ka'b, and if that too is not sufficient, ask for it from Quraish tribe, and do not ask for it from any one else, and pay this debt on my behalf." 'Umar then said (to 'Abdullah), "Go to 'Aisha (the mother of the believers) and say: "Umar is paying his salutation to you. But don't say: 'The chief of the believers,' because today I am not the chief of the believers. And say: "Umar bin Al-Khattab asks the permission to be buried with his two companions (i.e. the Prophet, and Abu Bakr)." Abdullah greeted 'Aisha and asked for the permission for entering, and then entered to her and found her sitting and weeping. He said to her, "'Umar bin Al-Khattab is paying his salutations to you, and asks the permission to be buried with his two companions." She said, "I had the idea of having this place for myself, but today I prefer Umar to myself." When he returned it was said (to 'Umar), "'Abdullah bin 'Umar has come." 'Umar said, "Make me sit up." Somebody supported him against his body and 'Umar asked ('Abdullah), "What news do you have?" He said, "O chief of the believers! It is as you wish. She has given the permission." 'Umar said, "Praise be to Allah, there was nothing more important to me than this. So when I die, take me, and greet 'Aisha and say: "Umar bin Al-Khattab asks the permission (to be buried with the Prophet ), and if she gives the permission, bury me there, and if she refuses, then take me to the grave-yard of the Muslims." Then Hafsa (the mother of the believers) came with many other women walking with her. When we saw her, we went away. She went in (to 'Umar) and wept there for sometime. When the men asked for permission to enter, she went into another place, and we heard her weeping inside. The people said (to 'Umar), "O chief of the believers! Appoint a successor." Umar said, "I do not find anyone more suitable for the job than the following persons or group whom Allah's Apostle had been pleased with before he died." Then 'Umar mentioned 'Ali, 'Uthman, AzZubair, Talha, Sad and 'Abdur-Rahman (bin Auf) and said, "Abdullah bin 'Umar will be a witness to you, but he will have no share in the rule. His being a witness will compensate him for not sharing the right of ruling. If Sad becomes the ruler, it will be alright: otherwise, whoever becomes the ruler should seek his help, as I have not dismissed him because of disability or dishonesty." 'Umar added, "I recommend that my successor takes care of the early emigrants; to know their rights and protect their honor and sacred things. I also recommend that he be kind to the Ansar who had lived in Medina before the emigrants and Belief had entered their hearts before them. I recommend that the (ruler) should accept the good of the righteous among them and excuse their wrong-doers, and I recommend that he should do good to all the people of the towns (Al-Ansar), as they are the protectors of Islam and the source of wealth and the source of annoyance to the enemy. I also recommend that nothing be taken from them except from their surplus with their consent. I also recommend that he do good to the 'Arab bedouin, as they are the origin of the 'Arabs and the material of Islam. He should take from what is inferior, amongst their properties and distribute that to the poor amongst them. I also recommend him concerning Allah's and His Apostle's protectees (i.e. Dhimmis) to fulfill their contracts and to fight for them and not to overburden them with what is beyond their ability." So when 'Umar expired, we carried him out and set out walking. 'Abdullah bin 'Umar greeted ('Aisha) and said, "'Umar bin Al-Khattab asks for the permission." 'Aisha said, "Bring him in." He was brought in and buried beside his two companions. When he was buried, the group (recommended by 'Umar) held a meeting. Then 'Abdur-Rahman said, " Reduce the candidates for rulership to three of you." Az-Zubair said, "I give up my right to Ali." Talha said, "I give up my right to 'Uthman," Sad, 'I give up my right to 'Abdur-Rahman bin 'Auf." 'Abdur-Rahman then said (to 'Uthman and 'Ali), "Now which of you is willing to give up his right of candidacy to that he may choose the better of the (remaining) two, bearing in mind that Allah and Islam will be his witnesses." So both the sheiks (i.e. 'Uthman and 'Ali) kept silent. 'Abdur-Rahman said, "Will you both leave this matter to me, and I take Allah as my Witness that I will not choose but the better of you?" They said, "Yes." So 'Abdur-Rahman took the hand of one of them (i.e. 'Ali) and said, "You are related to Allah's Apostle and one of the earliest Muslims as you know well. So I ask you by Allah to promise that if I select you as a ruler you will do justice, and if I select 'Uthman as a ruler you will listen to him and obey him." Then he took the other (i.e. 'Uthman) aside and said the same to him. When 'Abdur-Rahman secured (their agreement to) this covenant, he said, "O 'Uthman! Raise your hand." So he (i.e. 'Abdur-Rahman) gave him (i.e. 'Uthman) the solemn pledge, and then 'Ali gave him the pledge of allegiance and then all the (Medina) people gave him the pledge of allegiance.  (Book #57, Hadith #50)

(36) Narrated Ibn Abbas: Abu Talha, a companion of Allah's Apostle and one of those who fought at Badr together with Allah's Apostle told me that Allah's Apostle said. "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture" He meant the images of creatures that have souls.  (Book #59, Hadith #338)

(37) Narrated Um Salama: A woman was bereaved of her husband and her relatives worried about her eyes (which were diseased). They came to Allah's Apostle, and asked him to allow them to treat her eyes with kohl, but he said, "She should not apply kohl to her eyes. (In the Pre-Islamic period of Ignorance) a widowed woman among you would stay in the worst of her clothes (or the worst part of her house) and when a year had elapsed, if a dog passed by her, she would throw a globe of dung, Nay, (she cannot use kohl) till four months and ten days have elapsed." Narrated Um Habiba: The Prophet said, "It is not lawful for a Muslim woman who believes in Allah and the Last Day to mourn for more than three days, except for her husband, for whom she should mourn for four months and ten days."  (Book #63, Hadith #252)

(38) Narrated Abu Mas'ud: The Prophet prohibited taking the price of a dog, the earnings of a soothsayer and the money earned by prostitution.  (Book #63, Hadith #258)

(39) Narrated Abu Juhaifa: The Prophet cursed the lady who practices tattooing and the one who gets herself tattooed, and one who eats (takes) Riba' (usury) and the one who gives it. And he prohibited taking the price of a dog, and the money earned by prostitution, and cursed the makers of pictures.  (Book #63, Hadith #259)

(40) Narrated Adi bin Hatim: I asked the Prophet about the game killed by a Mi'rad (i.e. a sharp-edged piece of wood or a piece of wood provided with a sharp piece of iron used for hunting). He said, "If the game is killed with its sharp edge, eat of it, but if it is killed with its shaft, with a hit by its broad side then the game is (unlawful to eat) for it has been beaten to death." I asked him about the game killed by a trained hound. He said, "If the hound catches the game for you, eat of it, for killing the game by the hound, is like its slaughtering. But if you see with your hound or hounds another dog, and you are afraid that it might have shared in hunting the game with your hound and killed it, then you should not eat of it, because you have mentioned Allah's name on (sending) your hound only, but you have not mentioned it on some other hound  (Book #67, Hadith #384
    )

boy 35 is a big story...

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »