Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Chess Thread

(Read 44662 times)
  • 12 3 ... 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The Chess Thread
     OP - May 19, 2012, 12:44 AM

Hi everyone, what's up?

So this thread is all about Chess! Thank you to Asbie for reigniting my love of the game. grin12

We could possibly have a giant tournament of Chess in the future!!!! That would be cool too.

Anyways, so Clubs sent me this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjcrfs-Uk8&feature=related (told me to watch from 6.00 onwards) and rather than flood the Shoutbox with messages, I figured I might as well post stuff here. And everybody else too!! Post cool Chess stuff. Smiley Or if you're a moderator, troll this thread as mods are wont to do. Tongue

First things first:

@7.40: It's weird how Short cares so much about his pawn.

@7.55: I guess Asbie is right about white having an advantage, the narrator keeps acting like Short being on the defensive as white is some sort of huge deal.

@8.18: Why didn't Short recapture the pawn with his pawn on F3? Is there a reason? :S

@8.35: So black has a 'positional advantage' just cuz of being able to possibly kill ONE pawn? That's so crazy. >.<

@8.40: He says that the black knight has an output square in front of the pawn. So is that a good idea, keeping your knights in dead centre of the board?

@9.33: Niceeee I learned a new rule. Smiley

@10.50: So intense chess players always castle. Cool. Smiley

Ahh, I can't be bothered to comment anymore. Tongue

Everybody! Post Chess stuff! dance

EDIT: ALSO!!! Os is thinking of eliminating Chess from the forum!!!!!!! EVERYBODY SAY THAT THEY DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN!

SECOND EDIT: IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN A CHESS TOURNAMENT THAT ZOOBY WILL BE ARRANGING Tongue heheh RUDELY REFUSES TO ORGANISE, THEN POST YOUR NAME BELOW Smiley Please and thank you!

So far for the Chess Tourney:
    1. Me.
    2. Zooby dooby doo
    3. Asbie (I'm just assuming that he'll agree)
    4. Clubs (same as above)
    5. Sprout (get a new computer if it freezes -- I'm not taking no for an answer)
    6. GRB
    7. Kodanshi

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
  • Re: The Chess Thread
     Reply #1 - May 19, 2012, 04:23 AM

We don't want that to happen Os.  Headsman

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - May 19, 2012, 04:24 AM

I want to play!!!
     Reply #3 - May 19, 2012, 04:09 PM

Can I play you after, Abood? grin12

Reply #4 - May 19, 2012, 04:16 PM

I lurve chess, haven't played in a few years. Someone less lazy than me should set up a chess tourney.  yes
     Reply #5 - May 19, 2012, 04:16 PM

OMG ZOOBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

LET'S PLAY RIGHT NOW

I don't know how the Chess Tournament would work, that's why I haven't set it up yet. Tongue

Reply #6 - May 19, 2012, 04:19 PM

ah yes,  a tourney, that'd be interesting. I'm even willing to donate a prize.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #7 - May 19, 2012, 04:22 PM

I guess you could have a knockout tournament or a round robin although that would take ages depending on how many people are playing.
     Reply #8 - May 19, 2012, 04:24 PM

I hate chess, that is the most boring game in the world, I don't know why would people bother, if u wanna exercise ur brain do math or read philosophy instead of wasting ur time with such a boring pointless game.

Reply #9 - May 19, 2012, 04:25 PM

REALLY? A prize? Shocked Shocked

OMG K I'm arranging this. You figure out this prize thing, I want a prize. grin12

Not sure how it would work. But I think all the games should be timed, firstly. None of this: "Hmmm I'll just disappear for 500 minutes and leave you hanging."

Not sure how to make it fair, since apparently white has an advantage. :/ I guess, let's say Persons A, B, C, D, and E are participating. w=white, b=black. So:

First hypothetical situation:
    Person Aw vs Bb --> Aw wins.
    Person Ab vs Cw --> Ab wins
    Person Aw vs Db --> etc.

Second hypothetical sitch: 
    Person Aw vs Bb --> Bb wins
    Person Bw vs Cb --> Cb wins
    Person Cw vs Db --> etc

That may be unfair though, if there are an odd # of people playing. Hmm...

And if there are a lot of people, it may be good to do matches simultaneously right? :/ Even though that's untidy.

K, EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO PARTICIPATE IN A CHESS TOURNAMENT POST YOUR NAME HERE WITHIN THE NEXT 3 OR SO DAYS

And give me ideas, I don't know how tournaments normally work. Should we be doing more than one game per pair of people? :S

Reply #10 - May 19, 2012, 04:25 PM

I guess you could have a knockout tournament or a round robin although that would take ages depending on how many people are playing.

What? :/

Zooby should be arranging this. I have no idea what either one of those are.

Reply #11 - May 19, 2012, 04:26 PM

I hate chess, that is the most boring game in the world, I don't know why would people bother, if u wanna exercise ur brain do math or read philosophy instead of wasting ur time with such a boring pointless game.

I do both. Chess is still fun. Tongue
     Reply #12 - May 19, 2012, 04:26 PM

Leave us alone, you heathen! Philosophy is the biggest waste of time on the entire planet. So there.  aloofandbored0

Reply #13 - May 19, 2012, 04:32 PM

I'm not organizing it, just playing. aloofandbored0
     Reply #14 - May 19, 2012, 04:33 PM

I am also not that good at it but in the end I never showed any interest, I play chess once or 2ice a year at most, I had a room mate from Albania he was obsessed with chess, he used to make me play sometimes when he would really insist, he kicked my ass, I got a draw the first time we played then he simply pwnd me.

It is really boring and even if by some weird kind of accident I happen to play chess with someone i make sure I tell him that he can't be thinking too much, something like speed chess, playing it fast otherwise I will stand up and u can play with urself ( autochessing not autoeroticism )

Personally I think Chess is a game for depressed people on the threshold of suicide, if my life gets boring to the point where I will consider suicide the last thing I will do before pulling the trigger will be playing chess and I will blow my brains up there in the chess table.

Reply #15 - May 19, 2012, 04:34 PM

@Zooby,

Stinkyhead. Angry

Fine. I looked up Round Robin. The Wiki article on it is too complex with all this stupid algorithm stuff, so we're not doing that. Tongue

If I knew who wants to play that would be easier. Smiley So you're in yeah?

Reply #16 - May 19, 2012, 04:36 PM

I am also not that good at it but in the end I never showed any interest, I play chess once or 2ice a year at most, I had a room mate from Albania he was obsessed with chess, he used to make me play sometimes when he would really insist, he kicked my ass, I got a draw the first time we played then he simply pwnd me.

It is really boring and even if by some weird kind of accident I happen to play chess with someone i make sure I tell him that he can't be thinking too much, something like speed chess, playing it fast otherwise I will stand up and u can play with urself.

Personally I think Chess is a game for depressed people on the threshold of suicide, if my life gets boring to the point where I will consider suicide the last thing I will do before pulling the trigger will be playing chess and I will blow my brains up there in the chess table.

Your attitude is worrying, Sturmy. However, we do need an underdog in this Chess tournament. Care to play? grin12

And the games will be timed, so don't worry, your demise shall be swift and relatively pain-free Tongue

j/k. But seriously playyyy!!!

Reply #17 - May 19, 2012, 04:38 PM

round robin just means everyone plays everyone.
     Reply #18 - May 19, 2012, 04:39 PM

Ohh right. I don't think that many people will be playing, if it's 6 or less we can do that. grin12

dance This is gonna be so much funnnnnnnnnnn!

Reply #19 - May 19, 2012, 04:42 PM

I'm up for it. Don't even care about the organization, chepea can deal with that. Just wanna have some good matches.  Smiley

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #20 - May 19, 2012, 04:44 PM

dance dance

So far we have 5. I hope Abood and Stardust also agree, and Sturmy & GRB too. Full list is in the OP.

And we're doing knockout, Round Robin sounds like a pain in the butt to organise.

Reply #21 - May 19, 2012, 04:44 PM

Care to play? grin12

only if there is some kind of serotonin imbalance in my brain.

Anyways, I hope you guys have fun Smiley

Reply #22 - May 19, 2012, 04:45 PM

LOOOOOOL! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Funny. Tongue

Thank you. Smiley

Reply #23 - May 19, 2012, 05:39 PM

I can't participate in this one, but if there is one in June I'll join.  Afro
     Reply #24 - May 19, 2012, 05:41 PM

dance dance dance k! Smiley

Reply #25 - May 19, 2012, 06:23 PM

So this thread is all about Chess! Thank you to Asbie for reigniting my love of the game. grin12

Aww, thanks.  Embarrassed

I feel so honored to help a young person discover passion for a game that will cause them to waste countless hours of their life (not to mention all the joy that is had in the pursuit).  Cheesy

3. Asbie (I'm just assuming that he'll agree)

Of course I agree, as long as it will allow me to have fun matches with interesting and new opponents, why not? Win, lose, or draw it should be a great time. Smiley

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #26 - May 19, 2012, 06:44 PM

REALLY? A prize? Shocked Shocked

OMG K I'm arranging this. You figure out this prize thing, I want a prize. grin12

Not sure how it would work. But I think all the games should be timed, firstly. None of this: "Hmmm I'll just disappear for 500 minutes and leave you hanging."

Not sure how to make it fair, since apparently white has an advantage. :/ I guess, let's say Persons A, B, C, D, and E are participating. w=white, b=black. So:

First hypothetical situation:
    Person Aw vs Bb --> Aw wins.
    Person Ab vs Cw --> Ab wins
    Person Aw vs Db --> etc.

Second hypothetical sitch: 
    Person Aw vs Bb --> Bb wins
    Person Bw vs Cb --> Cb wins
    Person Cw vs Db --> etc

That may be unfair though, if there are an odd # of people playing. Hmm...

And if there are a lot of people, it may be good to do matches simultaneously right? :/ Even though that's untidy.

K, EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO PARTICIPATE IN A CHESS TOURNAMENT POST YOUR NAME HERE WITHIN THE NEXT 3 OR SO DAYS

And give me ideas, I don't know how tournaments normally work. Should we be doing more than one game per pair of people? :S

Okay, so I said I wouldn't get involved in organizing this, but here's my ideas for some fair rules. Two matches, so both sides play as white and black. Put like a 5 minute time limit to keep the matches reasonable in length. If both players win a game, then the player who won in less moves advances as a tiebreaker. If both games are drawn (which I don't see happening for us), then we go to sudden death 1 minute time limit match and you flip a coin to decide pieces. If that's a draw then just fucking flip a coin again, lol.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #27 - May 19, 2012, 07:00 PM

^ I like that. Smiley And I hadn't even thought of a coin toss haha.

LET'S DO IT!  dance dance

I feel so honored to help a young person discover passion for a game that will cause them to waste countless hours of their life (not to mention all the joy that is had in the pursuit). 

Such a good person. <3

Tongue

Reply #28 - May 19, 2012, 08:26 PM

I want to participate in this tournament, what are the spoils of this tournament?
     Reply #29 - May 19, 2012, 08:29 PM

We need to make a draw and then do the round robin and so on.
  • 12 3 ... 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »