Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: You're invited! CEMB'S 5th Birthday Luncheon (23 June 2012)

(Read 20787 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: You're invited! CEMB'S 5th Birthday Luncheon (23 June 2012)
     Reply #90 - June 26, 2012, 02:49 AM

I couldn't make this, hope you all had an awesome time.  I really need to attend an ex-Muslim gathering quite soon, it's been a while!

Reply #91 - July 04, 2012, 03:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymTS9d1O9jA

Over one hundred people joined the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain’s hugely successful 5th anniversary celebration luncheon in London on 23 June 2012.

Guests heard from philosopher AC Grayling, theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss, comedian Kate Smurthwaite, writer Gita Sahgal, singer/songwriter Shelley Segal, dancer Maryam Freeflower, DV8 Physical Theatre Director Lloyd Newson, and poet Lilith. Magician Neil Edwards also performed whilst CEMB founder Maryam Namazie gave the closing address.

In his keynote address, AC Grayling said: '...The history of the world and not just the western world but of the world in the last 3-4 centuries has turned on the very crucial fact – the fact that there were people who had the courage to think for themselves...'

Lawrence Krauss said: '...We are all ex-Muslims... it’s true in the sense that all of us are fighting ignorance and superstition and a world where policies are made and people are oppressed on the basis of these things...'

Writer Gita Sahgal said: '...Council of Ex-Muslims is particularly important because it is dangerous to declare yourself having lost faith even in Britain and in fact in some places it is getting more dangerous. One of the reasons it is getting more dangerous is because ...there is virtually no support from any public source for people who have actually left their religion.'

The CEMB also received many wonderful messages of support and solidarity to mark its fifth anniversary, including from Richard Dawkins, Taslima Nasrin and Mina Ahadi.

In her closing address, Maryam Namazie said: Whilst CEMB is many things to many people... it is first and foremost a challenge to political Islam. It is meant to shock and provoke. Throughout history that is how barbarity has been pushed back – not by tiptoeing around it, accommodating it, appeasing it, tolerating it but by facing it head on.' She went on to say: 'Pragmatism never changed the world but we intend to.'

http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2012/06/messages-of-support-to-mark-cembs-5th-anniversary/

Afro
     Reply #92 - July 04, 2012, 03:25 AM

I was wondering when they'd put up this video. Thanks!
     Reply #93 - July 10, 2012, 08:43 PM

quite bummed out i couldn't make this (i flew out of the country that day). really good to hear that it was a great success  Smiley

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #94 - July 10, 2012, 10:26 PM

quite bummed out i couldn't make this (i flew out of the country that day). really good to hear that it was a great success  Smiley

Reply #95 - July 30, 2012, 05:47 PM

I'm so gutted I joined just after this event!  Have not read through the post yet properly but hope you all had a great time and so great over 100 people turned up!
     Reply #96 - August 14, 2012, 04:51 PM

+100000

shout out to canadians  grin12 

Ok this year we Canadian CEMBer's definitely need to meet up in downtown Toronto

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #97 - August 14, 2012, 05:03 PM

That was another lady, works with the sudanese humanist group, she was all over him.  Grin

Who knew becoming a physicist could make you popular with the ladies Cool

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #98 - August 25, 2012, 11:46 PM

Would have love to come if I didnt join this site so late!!
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »