Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Mladic on trial

(Read 1249 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Mladic on trial
     OP - May 17, 2012, 07:45 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18099008

The war crimes trial of former Bosnian Serb army commander Ratko Mladic has resumed, with the prosecution focusing on the Srebrenica massacre in 1995.

Gen Mladic is accused of orchestrating the killings of more than 7,000 Bosnian Muslim boys and men in the town.

The 70-year-old faces 11 charges, including genocide, in connection with the brutal 1992-95 Bosnian war.

He calls the claims "monstrous", and the court in The Hague has entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

Prosecuting counsel Peter McCloskey said that the crimes at Srebrenica had never been in dispute so the prosecution's focus would be on individual criminal responsibility.

He said that the Bosnian Serb Army was not an "army out of control" and that Gen Mladic had been on the ground and in command.

The Srebrenica massacre was the worst atrocity in Europe since the end of World War II.

Serb fighters overran the enclave in eastern Bosnia - supposedly under the protection of Dutch UN peacekeepers. Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) men and boys were separated off, shot dead and bulldozed into mass graves - later to be dug up and reburied in more remote spots.

Gen Mladic is also charged in connection with the 44-month siege of Sarajevo during which more than 10,000 people died.

'Criminal endeavour'
    On the first day of the trial on Wednesday, the prosecution at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) argued that Gen Mladic had intended to "ethnically cleanse" Bosnia.

Prosecuting counsel Dermot Groome said they would prove Gen Mladic's hand in the crimes.

"Four days ago marked two decades since Ratko Mladic became the commander of the main staff of the army of Republika Srpska - the VRS," he said.

Continue reading the main story
    The charges

Counts 1/2: Genocide of Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims) and Bosnian Croats in Bosnia-Hercegovina and Srebrenica
    Count 3: Persecutions
    Counts 4/5/6: Extermination and murder
    Counts 7/8: Deportation and inhumane acts
    Counts 9/10: Terror and unlawful attacks
    Count 11: Taking of UN hostages
    Ratko Mladic: The charges
    Mr Groome said that by the time Gen Mladic and his troops had "murdered thousands in Srebrenica", they were "well-rehearsed in the craft of murder".

He then showed judges video of the aftermath of a notorious shelling of a market in the Bosnian capital Sarajevo, in which dozens of people died.

Mr Groome said there was "no doubt" that Gen Mladic had controlled the shelling of Sarajevo. He had promised that the city would shake, the prosecutor said.

Mr Groome said the attacks were part of an "overarching" plan to ethnically cleanse non-Serbs from parts of Bosnia.

He said crimes of sexual violence had played an integral part of the process of "taking over and ethnically cleansing Bosnia".

The prosecution also highlighted the role of snipers in Sarajevo, showing images of a child shot dead on a street and pictures taken from sniper nests overlooking the besieged city.

Prosecution 'errors'
    During the proceedings, members of the Mothers of Srebrenica group held a vigil outside the court.

Relatives of Srebrenica victims gathered outside the court as the trial began
    The BBC's Allan Little at The Hague says that, after Thursday, the court will adjourn for some months while the defence prepares its case.

Gen Mladic spent 15 years on the run before being apprehended by Serb forces last May and sent to The Hague.

The number of crimes of which he stands accused has been almost halved to speed up his trial.

Judicial authorities have rejected defence calls to delay proceedings, most recently a petition to have the Dutch presiding judge replaced on grounds of alleged bias.

'Our hero'
    Gen Mladic is accused of committing genocide and other crimes against Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims) and Bosnian Croats in a campaign of ethnic cleansing that began in 1992 and climaxed in Srebrenica.

Counsel Dermot Groome: "The indictment against Mladic charges crimes of sexual violence"
    Pre-trial hearings have been characterised by ill-tempered outbursts from Gen Mladic, who has heckled the judge and interrupted proceedings.

"The whole world knows who I am," he said at a hearing last year.

"I am General Ratko Mladic. I defended my people, my country... now I am defending myself."

The case has stirred up strong emotions among watching survivors, with some shouting "murderer" and "killer" from the court gallery.

However, while Gen Mladic's critics consider him a butcher, to some Serbs he is a national hero.

Gen Mladic suffered at least one stroke while in hiding and remains in frail health.

The architect of the Balkan wars, former Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic, died in detention in his cell in 2006, before receiving a verdict.

• Re: Mladic on trial
     Reply #1 - May 17, 2012, 09:46 AM

I hope they hang this bastard by his balls, if there are people that deserve to go to hell then these are the type of people who have earned a good place there, if such a place existed.

Reply #2 - May 17, 2012, 05:26 PM

Used to live in NL where the ICC is. Had the organiser of evidence come round to my school (they ran lectures for upper 6 students from various people in different jobs instead of general studies). From the evidence rooms for these crimes I heard testimony from witnesses and victims involved in Srebrenica and saw visual evidence of restraining devices used in various recent dictatorship run crimes. That testimony was horrific and ended up crying all through lunch break and not eating much. Hope 'justice' is done.

If want details I will write them out but only if people ask don't want that horrific a thing in a thread unless mods say it is okay.
     Reply #3 - May 17, 2012, 07:34 PM

His daughter killed herself with her father's gun.

Isn't it funny how cats can understand people without ever reading a single psychology book?
     Reply #4 - May 17, 2012, 08:22 PM

Used to live in NL where the ICC is. Had the organiser of evidence come round to my school (they ran lectures for upper 6 students from various people in different jobs instead of general studies). From the evidence rooms for these crimes I heard testimony from witnesses and victims involved in Srebrenica and saw visual evidence of restraining devices used in various recent dictatorship run crimes. That testimony was horrific and ended up crying all through lunch break and not eating much. Hope 'justice' is done.

If want details I will write them out but only if people ask don't want that horrific a thing in a thread unless mods say it is okay.

I am interested, what was it all about, I have seen many documentaries about the Srebrenica Massacres and witnesses being interviewed, they were describing some really macabre images, I have also watched some documentaries about the massacres that took place in Kosova during the war in 1999, evil shit took place, the Miloshevich regime was ruthless and merciless, it only had one agenda, creating Greater Serbia and getting rid of the Muslims and Albanians from the Ex Yugoslav territories, there is still a bunch of tensions going on in Northern Kosova on the Mitrovica region which is partially inhabited by the Serbian minority.

I don't think justice will be served since there are a bunch of Mladichs walking free the streets of Belgrade and other regions who never got caught for the grotesque and dreadful crimes they committed.

WARNING, GRAPHIC IMAGES:

Srebrenica Massacre in Bosnia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHKJIxCq8n8&feature=related

Kosovo Massacre of Rechak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ehf4n5UIdo

Reply #5 - May 17, 2012, 09:17 PM

Sturmgewehr sent you a PM
     Reply #6 - May 18, 2012, 09:33 AM

^ ^

Read it and replied.

Thanks a lot, those are some terrifying stuff to deal with.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »