Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Religious Faithfuls reject analytic thinking!!!

(Read 7554 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Religious Faithfuls reject analytic thinking!!!
     Reply #60 - May 21, 2012, 08:29 PM

@ Zebedee:

And no, I don't necessarily believe everything in the Qur'an and Bible, though I think those books do contain truthful ideas, wisdoms, parables and parallels. Aside from that, there are different kinds of religion and different approaches to the understanding of scripture.

I agree there are some truthful ideas in the Quran or the bible but that doesn't mean anything in particular, that just means people wrote it.

Different approaches to the understanding of a scripture Huh?

Like changing the meaning of words or interpreting THE SEPARATION OF THE HEAVENS AND EARTH as the theory of big bang (which is a pathetic attempt to make scientific theories fit the scripture), if that is what u meant then I don't know what to say, it is typical Sophistry, if god wanted to tell us something about the Theory of Big Bang or whatever he would say it clear and succinctly without any metaphor or anything that would cause confusion. 

No, and the same goes for your 'God of the Gaps' allusion. I do not see God as being an explanatory hypothesis.

What is wrong with the God of the Gaps allusion ??

Many people believe in God just because of it, just because they don't know how to explain certain phenomena.

• Re: Religious Faithfuls reject analytic thinking!!!
     Reply #61 - May 22, 2012, 09:35 PM

Different approaches to the understanding of a scripture

Yes. A salient example being the contrast between literalism and non-literalism, allegory, etc. So, different people, when they say they believe what is in a holy book will believe in different things, or different aspects of it, allegorical, literal, mystical, etc.

And if people want to interpret their scriptures as containing scientific miracles then I don't really care. They're entitled to do that, and it's also possible that a book might contain knowledge, scientific or otherwise, that was 'inspired' by a preternatural or non-human intelligence. It's a possibility whether you like it or not, regardless of its apparent likelihood.

What is wrong with the God of the Gaps allusion ??

Nothing aside from the fact that I never mentioned it, but you imputed it to me.

Many people believe in God just because of it, just because they don't know how to explain certain phenomena.

I suppose so yes.
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »