Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Evolution & Counter-Creationism Video Resource

(Read 27645 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Evolution & Counter-Creationism Video Resource
     OP - May 08, 2012, 11:42 PM

A great resource here for YouTube videos on evolution and counter-creationism, as well as a section on critical thinking:

The Web's Best Videos on Evolution, Creationism, Atheism and More

Introductory Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX45gTu5UpQ
    If you argue with creationists—or you're a creationist who would like to understand why others are not—you need to understand at least the basics of:

Science and critical thinking
        How cosmological and biological evolution work
        The problems with creationism and intelligent design
        What the Bible and other religious scriptures actually contain
        and/or
        Why people become atheists

Below is a collection of over 1,000 links to videos created by over 100 members of the YouTube community that will provide you with an excellent foundation for understanding evolution and countering creationist claims.

Massive props to this guy for collecting them all together. A lot of work has gone into it. His channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Underlings

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Re: Evolution & Counter-Creationism Video Resource
     Reply #1 - May 08, 2012, 11:44 PM

Nice. Stickied. Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - May 10, 2012, 02:28 AM

Most thorough and informative video on the insanity/stupidity of creationism I have ever found. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQZ4f9f_Yw

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #3 - May 10, 2012, 06:56 AM

I just listened to that whole thing without a break. Totally rocks. The way that bloke can string words together is amazing.

Reply #4 - May 11, 2012, 09:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugu3cZN-3jU

A nice video to match everything else.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking
     Reply #5 - May 11, 2012, 09:31 AM

Yes we know that already. Tongue

Reply #6 - June 26, 2012, 07:13 PM

That list is colossal, thanks so much for sharing and a huge thanks to Underlings for collecting it all together  Afro

Also, if I can add my 2 cents, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOxMQ3Q095Y is the audiobook for "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, where you'll find the whole 12-hour audiobook in 3 parts (these are easy to find on the right hand side). You'll also find the audiobook for Dawkins' "The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life" on the same channel, equally brilliant too.

Lover of all things whimsy.
     Reply #7 - June 26, 2012, 07:22 PM

Hmm  Clawed put out a tube from a fool  called helasmoh

That He_lasmoh  fool should know A real Scientists is an enquirer and don't have religion or religious preferences,.  Just because These rational folks that are born to a Muslim parents  doesn't mean they are Muhammad following/quran/sunnah/hadith following Muslims..........

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #8 - September 18, 2012, 06:55 AM

These are not videos, but books, freely available for download through the website for the The National Center for Science Education (NCSE). Good resource.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #9 - October 11, 2012, 08:45 PM

Quick and dirty evolution in 10 mins, from the always brilliant QualiaSoup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdddbYILel0

Handy video to link to for the basics.

Reply #10 - October 11, 2012, 09:24 PM

Thats an awesome video Ishina! I saw it this morning and saved it to my favourites.

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #11 - October 11, 2012, 09:45 PM

His videos are the gold standard.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #12 - August 10, 2013, 01:51 AM

This needs to be on the main page.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #13 - April 06, 2014, 05:35 PM

Interesting but the poster of this video makes some mistakes and omits some facts.

That humans evolved from other animals was first posited by the ancient Greek Anaximander of Miletus and Epicurus amongst others, and throughout history but it wasnt until Darwin and Wallace really had the mechanism of Natural Selection nailed down.

The video poster and Sir William Draper both also make the same mistake that Islamic apologists do in that although Ibn Khaldun, may have considered himself Muslim, it was not because of the truth of Islam or from reading the Quran that he reached this conclusion, but rather by observation of the natural world and his reasoning (ie Science). To call Khaldun's great works 'a product of Mohamed' is asinine. If Khaldun was alive today and made his claim in any mosque, I dare say he would receive the same anger that Usama Hasan did.

Also in any case, his works contradict the Quran, and both Draper's and the poster's claim that evolution was the 'Mohamedan Theory of Evolution' or predicted by Mohamed is laughable. Just ask Usama Hasan what reaction he received at Leyton Mosque when he suggested that man evolved from apes and the implication that had for the claims in the Quran.

This is why I never use the term ISLAMIC Golden Age, because it is generally assumed that this proves the religion or the god they worship so I say 'ARABIC Golden Age".

No-one would suggest that what any historical scientist discovered was any proof of the god he may have worshipped. Same with this video.

Any Christian or Muslim who claims that evolution is in their holy book I would like to present Robert Ingersoll's quote on the matter:

"The Church demonstrated the falsity and folly of Darwin's theories by showing that they contradicted the Mosaic account of creation, and now that the theories of Darwin having been fairly established, the Church says that the Mosaic account is true because it is in harmony with Darwin. Now, if it should turn out that Darwin was mistaken, what then?"

To accentuate the issue, lets say that evolution was proven wrong tomorrow, and science claims that the earth and all living things were really  created in 6 days, then evolutionist Muslims and Christians would drop Darwin like a hot potato and claim that the bible/quran was correct all along.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #14 - April 06, 2014, 09:29 PM

i am a bit confused by this video  Huh? help me out here, is there any fact in what they are saying

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #15 - April 06, 2014, 10:13 PM

Ignore the Quran stuff, its just retrofitting science into it. From the little I could read the part on Ibn Khaldun is right. However it clearly contradicts the Quran about humans, just read verses about Adam to confirm what I have said.
     Reply #16 - April 06, 2014, 10:19 PM

I don’t understand the argument that god is “controlling” evolution. Is he “controlling” it by having absolutely nothing to do with it?
     Reply #17 - April 06, 2014, 10:28 PM

People who make that argument don't really understand it either. Wink

Reply #18 - April 06, 2014, 10:33 PM

They are certainly no longer talking about evolution by natural selection when they say that. It'd be evolution by divine selection, which pretty much scraps the entire current theory and ignores pretty much all of the evidence.

Reply #19 - April 06, 2014, 10:35 PM

What is worse this suggests that our own tinkering with animals is done by God which means we had no free will in this context. God wanted us to make tiny dogs just for the purpose of being in someone's purse.  whistling2
     Reply #20 - April 06, 2014, 10:36 PM

there was an article published in Slate today about how Islam is so amazingly science and everything, PZ Myers debunked it

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/04/06/islam-and-science-are-compatible-as-long-as-you-cut-out-the-bits-of-science-you-dont-like/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+freethoughtblogs%2Fpharyngula+%28FTB%3A+Pharyngula%29

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #21 - April 06, 2014, 10:38 PM

They are certainly no longer talking about evolution by natural selection when they say that. It'd be evolution by divine selection, which pretty much scraps the entire current theory and ignores pretty much all of the evidence.

Besides, evolution through natural selection would be the most absurd and inefficient way for an all powerful being to bring things into existence even if that was his "plan". “Hmm. Wouldn’t mind having some mammals down there on Earth. Better gradually reduce water levels restricting oxygen and food supply in certain streams and ponds so that amphibious creatures who can’t intermittently venture onto land lose their competitive advantage and won’t be able to pass on their genetic material to future generations. That’s a great start! Only about a hundred million more years and I’ll have mammals!”
     Reply #22 - April 06, 2014, 10:39 PM

I don’t understand the argument that god is “controlling” evolution. Is he “controlling” it by having absolutely nothing to do with it?

No Maybe he just steps in from time to time to help evolution over the difficult bits, like screwing in the tails of those pesky bacterial flagella.  whistling2

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #23 - April 06, 2014, 10:48 PM

Interesting link from the comments there, to another post which sums things up nicely.

The whole argument that science and religion are ‘incommensurable’ isn’t resting on the idea that people can’t accept scientific discoveries and still be religious. That would be a stupid argument — which is why the religious people like to think it’s the one atheists are making. Compartmentalization has a fine tradition.

No, here’s the problem: why don’t you translate your love for ‘science’ into an appreciation for the truth-seeking methods of science and focus them on the “something Sacred that acts as that elemental glue between everything?” Is that true? Have you considered alternatives? What would test that? What would convince you that you were mistaken? Apply science to the supernatural beliefs which define religion as ‘religion’ and not something else.

And right HERE is where they start screaming and squawking that no you can’t DO that it’s Sacred and in a completely different category than facts we could be wrong about and all the immunizing strategies, category errors, and fallacious rationalizations of faith come into play. And now we discover where the conflict lies: method. They value an honest and unbiased search for truth …until they don’t like where it leads. New rules!

Once this is your guiding principle, then by what right do you sneer at the fundamentalists who deny evolution? They just drew the line somewhere else

Reply #24 - April 06, 2014, 10:55 PM

Better gradually reduce water levels restricting oxygen and food supply in certain streams and ponds so that amphibious creatures who can’t intermittently venture onto land lose their competitive advantage and won’t be able to pass on their genetic material to future generations.

Funnily enough this doesn't seem to be how it started. There's solid evidence that amphibians developed in coastal/estuarine conditions where oxygen restriction may not have been relevant. It looks like critters started exploring the margins for the same reason that Hillary climbed Everest: because it was there.

Reply #25 - April 06, 2014, 10:57 PM

So you're saying it was God, then? Grin
     Reply #26 - April 06, 2014, 10:58 PM

Nah. I reckon they did it for a bet. Afro

Reply #27 - April 06, 2014, 11:01 PM

Fish #1: "Betcha can't get to that cycad and back."

Fish #2: "Fn can. Watch this, wanker!"

Reply #28 - April 07, 2014, 06:20 AM

it is interesting how the videos and articles are so convincing but relooking at that video it actually doesnt give any facts about evolution nor does it give any evidence from quraan.

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #29 - April 07, 2014, 08:40 AM

Adey5

Heh. The thing about the Ibn Khaldun quotes is that they're completely decontextualised ( and tendentiously so, as the passage between them would blow the whole idea to bits if it wasn't  omitted ) from a very long discussion about the types of supernatural perception that are encountered in the world, and how it is possible for a prophet to "connect" with the angelic world ( the pinnacle of the scala vita ) thereby. Anyone who actually bothers to read the section  ( the sixth prefatory note ) in Ibn Khaldun, and has some background in the way that neo-platonised aristotelian categories are used in medieval thought would understand perfectly well that the idea of biological evolution is completely foreign  ( and abhorrent ) to Ibn Khaldun; he's simply constructing an elegant and elaborate ladder of creation on the classical Aristotelian model so as to "prove" that it's possible for the "prophetic" human to partake in the angelic realm and be the conduit of revelation. Elsewhere - in his discussion of racial types - we can definitively see that Ibn Khaldun does not have a conception of biological inheritance, and simply doesn't understand the idea of the transmission of heritable characteristics from parent to child.

Ibn Khaldun wasn't a scientist, let alone a biologist or observer of the natural world, in any modern sense of the term - he was a historian, metaphysician, judge and political administrator.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »