Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Humour and problem-solving

(Read 2187 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Humour and problem-solving
     OP - May 08, 2012, 07:54 AM

Just going through my archives and wanted to post these interesting bits I saw elsewhere a while back, just for those who aren't aware.

Humour and problem solving

"In a just completed study, researchers at Northwestern University found that people were more likely to solve word puzzles with sudden insight when they were amused, having just seen a short comedy routine.

“What we think is happening,” said Mark Beeman, a neuroscientist who conducted the study with Karuna Subramaniam, a graduate student, “is that the humor, this positive mood, is lowering the brain’s threshold for detecting weaker or more remote connections” to solve puzzles."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/sc...ml?ref=science

There's more

Insight, humour and problem solving

Abstract

A sudden comprehension that solves a problem, reinterprets a situation, explains a joke, or resolves an ambiguous percept is called an insight (i.e., the “Aha! moment”). Psychologists have studied insight using behavioral methods for nearly a century. Recently, the tools of cognitive neuroscience have been applied to this phenomenon. A series of studies have used electroencephalography (EEG) and functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to study the neural correlates of the “Aha! moment” and its antecedents. Although the experience of insight is sudden and can seem disconnected from the immediately preceding thought, these studies show that insight is the culmination of a series of brain states and processes operating at different time scales. Elucidation of these precursors suggests interventional opportunities for the facilitation of insight.

The cognitive neuroscience of insight

http://cdp.sagepub.com/content/18/4/210

Finally but on a tangent, an explanation for dark humour.

"Benign Violations: Making Immoral Behavior Funny''
     A. Peter McGraw and Caleb Warren
     Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado at Boulder

Humor is an important, ubiquitous phenomenon; however, seemingly disparate conditions seem to facilitate humor. We integrate these conditions by suggesting that laughter and amusement result from violations that are simultaneously seen as benign. We investigated three conditions that make a violation benign and thus humorous: (a) the presence of an alternative norm suggesting that the situation is acceptable, (b) weak commitment to the violated norm, and (c) psychological distance from the violation. We tested the benign-violation hypothesis in the domain of moral psychology, where there is a strong documented association between moral violations and negative emotions, particularly disgust. Five experimental studies show that benign moral violations tend to elicit laughter and amusement in addition to disgust. Furthermore, seeing a violation as both wrong and not wrong mediates behavioral displays of humor. Our account is consistent with evolutionary accounts of laughter, explains humor across many domains, and suggests that humor can accompany negative emotion."

http://leeds-faculty.colorado.edu/mc...en.inpress.pdf

What are your experiences? Do you find you have a good sense of humour? Do you find you also have a good grasp of problem solving? Are the two related for you? Do you find this of others?

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
  • Re: Humour and problem-solving
     Reply #1 - May 08, 2012, 08:12 AM

I find most things not funny, but of course I can play along for social reasons sometimes. I think have a 'silly' sense of humour, almost childish or the opposite end where there's humour based on something like an 'I know that you know that I know' but we'll play along anyway.

Generally don't like dark humour, or gross things or sexually perverted things. I think most people think I lack a sense of humour.

Problem solving...I think I'm ok at it. Is it related? I think it's linked by the ability of good imagination.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #2 - May 08, 2012, 08:17 AM

Indeed, I think the link is imagination/creativity, required for both a solid sense of humour and good problem solving, having said that, they are definitely not mutually exclusive, especially as there are many factors that can make someone a good problem solver, as well as many blockers to it.

Anyway, thanks for posting your experiences, and welcome back.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

Reply #3 - May 08, 2012, 08:33 AM

Wow sprout! Thanks for sharing.  Afro

I think you could say that it seems to be the case for me, that learning or solving a task seems to come easier with humour and a sense of exploration. I solve many soduku puzzels sitting in front of the television, especially when repeats have come on like Seinfeld.

However, I've never solved a rubix cube yet, no matter how many humourous moments I've tried to solve it in, or more serious moments where you're trying to solve it in front of someone because you've been dared x amount of $ to do so in such and such amount of time.  Cry

Also, I've found that better classes I've taken have tended to be under teachers/tutors/lecturers who have a good sense of humour and don't treat it like a serious horrible experience.

As far as my humour goes, it's more along the lines of preschoolish humour (like that of a 5 year old fart jokes never grow old for me), or very very morbid. A friend once said that I should become a mortician 'cause I had just the right sense of humour for the job.
     Reply #4 - May 08, 2012, 08:38 AM

Oh, and I'm generally pretty good at problem solving most of the time. I like mind-mapping for alot of different problem solving so that I can explore all the options/situational factors etc...

But yes, I think for me humour and problem solving generally go hand in hand for me.
     Reply #5 - May 08, 2012, 08:41 AM

Indeed, I think the link is imagination/creativity, required for both a solid sense of humour and good problem solving, having said that, they are definitely not mutually exclusive, especially as there are many factors that can make someone a good problem solver, as well as many blockers to it.

Anyway, thanks for posting your experiences, and welcome back.

Of course most things aren't black and white, and ty.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #6 - May 08, 2012, 08:42 AM

A friend once said that I should become a mortician 'cause I had just the right sense of humour for the job.

Grin Grin Grin Nice friend you have there.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #7 - May 08, 2012, 08:46 AM

You touched on something very important there Da_Dude that I didn't emphasise, which is how the first study found that humour can make puzzles/small problems easier to solve, which is something I've never experienced myself but I'll try playing a crossword (I'm not usually good at these unlike sudoku, scrabble and countdown) while/after watching some comedy-I'll see how it works.

Thanks for posting your experiences!

Reply #8 - May 08, 2012, 08:47 AM

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say this is probably related to reduction of stress. Laughing probably sort of cleans out the little stuff that is clogging up the brain.

Reply #9 - May 08, 2012, 08:51 AM

Np Sprout Afro

Let me know how you go, I'd be interested to see your results.

Grin Grin Grin Nice friend you have there.

grin12 He puts up with my humour, so he can't be too bad.  grin12

Reply #10 - May 08, 2012, 08:54 AM

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say this is probably related to reduction of stress. Laughing probably sort of cleans out the little stuff that is clogging up the brain.

That definitely makes sense.

Reply #11 - May 08, 2012, 08:55 AM

I guess I was going with the 'getting the humour' bit requiring some imagination, but then there are different types of humour, I think your point makes more sense.

Reply #12 - May 08, 2012, 08:58 AM

I think the two explanations are correct because they are addressing different points.

Oz was addressing the first study, which found that watching something funny and then doing a small task improved performance.

While your guess seems to address the general point of having a good sense of humour and strong problem solving requires some level of insight and imagination (second study).

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Reply #13 - May 08, 2012, 09:01 AM

Yup, I was talking about the first bit. Hadn't really considered the other.

Reply #14 - May 08, 2012, 09:05 AM

I think the two explanations are correct because they are addressing different points.

Oz was addressing the first study, which found that watching something funny and then doing a small task improved performance.

While your guess seems to address the general point of having a good sense of humour and strong problem solving requires some level of insight and imagination (second study).

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Well it depends, were there studies with just 'getting the humour' and not finding it funny compared with 'getting it' and finding it funny to see which bit played the more important part of the second study.

Also since there are different types of humour, some jokes hardly require half a brain cell....

Reply #15 - May 08, 2012, 09:08 AM

Ops, nevermind^.

Reply #16 - May 08, 2012, 09:24 AM

Well it depends, were there studies with just 'getting the humour' and not finding it funny compared with 'getting it' and finding it funny to see which bit played the more important part of the second study.

Also since there are different types of humour, some jokes hardly require half a brain cell....

Good point, plus I think the creativity comes to play with those who can make original jokes at the right time and others find them funny rather than anyone who can laugh at a generic joke.

Reply #17 - May 08, 2012, 09:27 AM

From my experience with teaching art to children (which is rarely), I find that children need both humour and imagination to open up their ability to problem solve and express what they want to express through drawing and painting. Some of the tougher cases I've had to deal with will refuse to accept their artworks-in-progress as being anything but shit, but through sitting next to them with a piece of my own paper and drawing/painting something that is "shit" and then showing them how through making it a game and laughing about it/showing them the funny side to it, that I can take a drawing/painting that looks nothing like how I want it to look and turn it into something that I'm happy with. Children get that, and then are able to take on the challenge of making something they aren't happy with into something they are pleased with.

One of the problems that children experience when trying to solve an art-work problem, is that they've been conditioned by peers and adults into thinking that they can't do it because they've been told that there art-work doesn't look the way it's meant to "that's not a man, that's a car" or "the sky isn't green!" and so many come to view the process of creating art as being something serious and too-hard. When you show children that art-work is something that is humourous and fun and that you can take whatever you make and make it into anything you want, then their creative and problem solving channels start to open up and they take it on head first and solve their art work problems. Hence one of the reasons that when I'm teaching art to kids and adults alike, I ban the eraser and ban throwing away unfinished work. If they are happy with their work and want to be done, that's fine, but until they are happy with it, I don't want then chucking it away as it presents them with the challenge of solving whatever problem they have with their artwork.

Like this one girl I was tutoring, she was so discouraged about her drawings. "They don't look like people," she moaned and cruppled up the latest drawing she had done. I took the piece of paper off of her and flattened it out, "Oh no," I said, "Don't scrunch up your drawing, it's special even if it doesn't look the way you want yet 'cause that drawing comes from your heart and one day you'll want to look back on this drawing and see what you were feeling at this moment." She looked at me from the corner or her eyes as if to say, what's she going on about. So I got another piece of paper out and started to draw, first a person as a stick figure, and then kept adding more, asking her the whole time, "What sort of hair should this person have?" and "you see here, I'm going to shade this bit here by doing this to make her face look round." She finally got to laughing about it and I set her up doing her own people, and when she would come up against a perception problem with the person, I'd ask her, "Well, what do you think you could do to make that happen," or, "What do you think you could do to fix that so that it looks the way you want?" The more she laughed and the more she viewed it as an exploration and a game, the easier she found expressing herself through the artwork and her abilities over time with drawing things to make them look 3D grew.

To give an example from my own artwork, I paint murals for people and last year I was painting a large-scale mural (covering 3 walls) for a friend. At one point I got extremely frustrated 'cause I'd made an error when calculating a water reflection (the mural was all out of my head but when doing perceptual problems in artwork it requires some form of mathmatical formulation and calculation on some level), and all my attempts were seeming futile to get it to look right. Eventually I took a deep breath and thought, no, you've come across harder painting problems than this and you can do it, just go out for a smoke, chat with guy so that he won't realize that you're stressed out about this, and come back and put some happy music on. So I went out for a smoke, then went and had a coffee with the guy I was painting the wall for, and by the time I come back and put on the happy music, BAM the solution had hit me and I got to work again and it turned out awesomely well.

If I had've kept pressing forward and not taking the time out to have a smoke and a laugh with the guy who was paying me to do it and the happy music to boot, it in all likely hood would've taken me much longer to solve that problem. The guy had no idea that I had been wanting to bang my head against the wall and had no idea that I had been seriously worried that I might not be able to pull it off, but it was well worth the effort as he is very happy with the artwork and payed me for it too.

I think the same applies for adults, in that the more we use our imagination and have a laugh about what we're doing, the easier we find to solve a task/problem and the less stress we have about it hence making it less likely that we are going to make a serious error when the task is more serious.
     Reply #18 - May 08, 2012, 09:33 AM

Dunno, just some thoughts, albeit very long explanation of them.  Cheesy

Sorry  Embarrassed 015
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »