Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: N.C. Adds Gay Marriage Ban to State Constitution

(Read 2226 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • N.C. Adds Gay Marriage Ban to State Constitution
     OP - May 09, 2012, 02:19 AM

This is disgusting.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/politics/north-carolina-marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
  • Re: N.C. Adds Gay Marriage Ban to State Constitution
     Reply #1 - May 09, 2012, 03:54 AM

I think Christianity repulses me more than Islam. While Islam is almost universally despised for the imagined threat of creeping Sharia, Christian law is enshrined in the Western World right in front of our eyes. Blatantly and unashamed.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #2 - May 09, 2012, 04:06 AM

^^
    well, it's the opposite in my cases
     Reply #3 - May 09, 2012, 05:32 AM

I'm not exactly sure of the exact legal details, but hopefully these same sex amendments to state constitutions will be overturned by Supreme court decision as a violation of 14th amendment equal protection rights, although with the court's current make-up you can never be too sure.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #4 - May 09, 2012, 05:35 AM

The ban on gay marriage in California was overturned by a federal court.
     Reply #5 - May 09, 2012, 06:12 AM

Presumably though that was in the 9th circuit court, which is "notoriously" liberal on social issues. Other federal courts may not follow its precedent.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #6 - May 09, 2012, 06:15 AM

Seriously, the anti-gay (marriage) movement seems to be gaining ground rather than losing it in the USA, I find this bizarre.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #7 - May 09, 2012, 06:17 AM

Gay marriage is already illegal there anyway, so I don't suppose there will be a rush to overturn the amendment.

Reply #8 - May 09, 2012, 02:11 PM

I think Christianity repulses me more than Islam. While Islam is almost universally despised for the imagined threat of creeping Sharia, Christian law is enshrined in the Western World right in front of our eyes. Blatantly and unashamed.

Don't know if this has been mentioned in the forum. But that is exactly what the American lawyer and secular acitivist Sean Faircloth is addressing in his book: http://richarddawkins.net/audio/645178-audiobook-of-attack-of-the-theocrats-with-richard-dawkins-reading-his-foreword-now-available

For those who are interested in it.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
     Reply #9 - May 09, 2012, 02:14 PM

But at least you got some sensible priests:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ywImcNViPtc

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
     Reply #10 - May 09, 2012, 02:28 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned in the forum. But that is exactly what the American lawyer and secular acitivist Sean Faircloth is addressing in his book: http://richarddawkins.net/audio/645178-audiobook-of-attack-of-the-theocrats-with-richard-dawkins-reading-his-foreword-now-available

For those who are interested in it.

I might give it a try. Will it piss me off though?

Reply #11 - May 10, 2012, 02:04 PM

At least Christians got over the old testament law of stoning homosexuals years ago. I personally think it's getting better, because I frequently see and have attended modern churches who allow gays to come and worship. In fact most of my gay friends surprisingly go to church. Just like how interracial marriage was banned years ago this is going to phase out as future generations realize there is nothing wrong with it. And even with inter-racial marriages the last state to life that ban was in the 1970s and that was well after all of the other states lifted it. So these things take time and years to accept.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #12 - May 10, 2012, 02:22 PM

Seriously, the anti-gay (marriage) movement seems to be gaining ground rather than losing it in the USA, I find this bizarre.

It's actually losing a lot of ground very quickly. Polls show a pretty huge shifts in young and middle age people towards acceptance of gay marriage. The issue is that those shifts aren't happening uniformly across the USA. The ones that have shifted the least are older evangelical Christians which make up a majority in certain states, mostly Southern. Even then they'll be a minority on this issue within 20 years. If the trend continues I'd put even money on at least half the states passing SSM within 20 years, followed by a Constitutional challenge that will pass the 14th amendment of equal protection. These state amendments are rearguard movements trying to stop a trend.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #13 - May 10, 2012, 02:39 PM

+1

My parents are homophobic but I am not. :p because I actually have gay friends and I realized they aren't weird disgusting people I was taught to believe.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #14 - May 10, 2012, 03:36 PM

It's actually losing a lot of ground very quickly. Polls show a pretty huge shifts in young and middle age people towards acceptance of gay marriage. The issue is that those shifts aren't happening uniformly across the USA. The ones that have shifted the least are older evangelical Christians which make up a majority in certain states, mostly Southern. Even then they'll be a minority on this issue within 20 years. If the trend continues I'd put even money on at least half the states passing SSM within 20 years, followed by a Constitutional challenge that will pass the 14th amendment of equal protection. These state amendments are rearguard movements trying to stop a trend.

Long-term trends show a gradual rise in support of gay marriage, whch is the good news.

From Gallup:

Bad news is a small rise in opposition these last two years. But it remains to be seen if this is a sign of long-term opinion. I think we can be pretty optimistic about it being just a short-term blip. They have happened in the past.

America is divided almost exactly in half and it'll need to be more like two-thirds in favour before real progress is actually felt. So if it continues to be 1-2% a year, that's within 10-20 years.

Reply #15 - May 10, 2012, 03:42 PM

Find the graph that breaks it down by age, and the trend will be more pronounced

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #16 - May 10, 2012, 03:44 PM

So if it continues to be 1-2% a year, that's within 10-20 years.

Fear not. It will happen.

Where America leads, Europe follows.

Or vice versa.
     Reply #17 - May 10, 2012, 03:57 PM

I think we are in a pretty good position here in UK at least. It looks like gay marriage will be completely legal here within the next few years. Though some Tory blowhards are threatening a 'rebellion' if it happens.

As much as I despise Cameron, he's been pretty clear on LGBT issues.

"We're consulting on legalising gay marriage. To anyone who has reservations, I say: Yes, it's about equality, but it's also about something else: commitment."

"Conservatives believe in the ties that bind us; that society is stronger when we make vows to each other and support each other. So I don't support gay marriage despite being a Conservative. I support gay marriage because I'm a Conservative."

Reply #18 - May 10, 2012, 04:07 PM

Rory's Story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZU-HQ_c8bg

Reply #19 - May 10, 2012, 04:19 PM

i dont understand how they can vote on a bill, and then a while later
    vote it out.  That is what gets my goat.

but as shitty as it is, i have to agree, its better than getting stoned
    to death, or publically hung just for being homosexual.  

But then you have all these couple who legally got married, and
    now they are unmarried? how the fuck does that work?

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #20 - May 11, 2012, 02:43 PM

Even if you aren't a fan or follower of the Amazing Atheist I would recommend you watch this short video, I think he puts a simple, yet strong point forward about the issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FnE56XRwng&list=UUjNxszyFPasDdRoD9J6X-sw&index=1&feature=plcp

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #21 - May 11, 2012, 10:00 PM

yeah.. this shit comes out a few months away from a presidential election.
    Like obama promised them their rights at the beginning.  And now brings
    it up as a power point and his "coming out" right before an election?

Both candidates are bozos of the worst kind.  This country is sooooo
    screwed!

D:

*continues inventory of my bug bag and emergency supplies*

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #22 - May 12, 2012, 11:02 AM

It's odd that you see this as a point against him. I suppose it's just different across the pond. Here, if a political candidate isn't wining and dining me in the run up to an election, then they are not doing their job and don't get my vote. I absolutely insist on hearing constructive or encouraging details of their intentions. I demand they inspire and convince me to vote. I expect a positive case.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »