Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The struggles of an ex muslim in hiding

(Read 7844 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The struggles of an ex muslim in hiding
     OP - May 07, 2012, 11:54 AM

This is hard to write down but i would say i felt this way ever since i was 13 which i am now 23. Coming from a big Muslim city like Bradford it has been very hard for me to express who i am without getting put down for it. It was roughly this time when i decided to be emo and look a certain way but also found out that i fancied guys aswell as girls. This i say was a time when i was really hidden about this seeing as i went to a highly muslim populated school. Even there i got picked on for being different and eventually this is what kind of pushed me away from Islam seeing as they always justify it by shoving that down my throat.

People say this is a phase but the fact im still this way after 10 years says otherwise. After my last relationship broke down after saying i was bi and not a muslim my then muslim gf dumped me and i decided to be more open about who i was. I talked about this to my sister and friends and even though some haven't disowned me, some still keep their distance away from me.

My ultimate goal is to leave Islam however i think cause i rely on my parents too much financially i find it hard to come out due to the fear of being disowned and having no place to go. I thought to myself that once i get a job i can be able to move out and then come out which if in the situation of being disowned i can still have a roof over my head and get on with my life. Sadly that circumstance to be able to come out hasn't arrived yet. At times i wonder will that circumstance ever arrive as i''ve finished uni a couple of weeks ago and haven't got myself a job yet which makes me feel like another day in hiding if you will.

Feel free to comment if you like to hear more and i will gladly talk further with you.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

https://twitter.com/#!/BornWithNoSoul
  • Re: The struggles of an ex muslim in hiding
     Reply #1 - May 07, 2012, 12:33 PM

far away hug It can be very tough getting a job after you graduate, but don't give up. It will happen. I know that hiding your apostasy is hard, but be strong! You'll pull through.
     Reply #2 - May 07, 2012, 02:22 PM

Tried looking for a job and a room in Manchester?
     Reply #3 - May 07, 2012, 03:12 PM

What field are you seeking employment in?

Do you know anyone you could room with?

It sounds as if you are in a difficult situation. It's hard enough to be on your own but with the added possibility of being disowned. Oh sigh... Keep on. It takes time but circumstances will work out. You've got a lot of time a head of you.

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #4 - May 07, 2012, 04:24 PM

Tried looking for a job and a room in Manchester?

Yes but so far the jobs might not be able to cover living costs

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Reply #5 - May 07, 2012, 04:25 PM

What field are you seeking employment in?

Do you know anyone you could room with?

It sounds as if you are in a difficult situation. It's hard enough to be on your own but with the added possibility of being disowned. Oh sigh... Keep on. It takes time but circumstances will work out. You've got a lot of time a head of you.

Well im looking for employment in admin/customer service/hr based office work really seeing as i have finished a course in business studies at uni. Sadly i got a life with no friends and really i don't know anybody to move in with.

Reply #6 - May 07, 2012, 10:10 PM

parrot

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #7 - May 08, 2012, 12:54 AM

Cheers mate and welcome to the board  Afro

The newspaper often puts up ads for those looking for a place to stay. I'm assuming the UK has benefits for those unable to seek employment, have you looked into that?

Hiding your apostasy is hard, but remember that even though it feels like forever, it won't be.  far away hug

I like the name by the way, what inspired you to take it on?  grin12
     Reply #8 - May 08, 2012, 07:31 AM

Well im looking for employment in admin/customer service/hr based office work really seeing as i have finished a course in business studies at uni. Sadly i got a life with no friends and really i don't know anybody to move in with.

You don't need any friends to move in with. Even if you did have friends, the chances of you all looking for a place to rent in the same area and the same city is extremely rare. Most people in your position move into house-shares where you pay per room, and live with people you don't know. I did that after uni and it worked out fine, made a good friend this way too.
     Reply #9 - May 08, 2012, 08:35 AM

Cheers mate and welcome to the board  Afro

The newspaper often puts up ads for those looking for a place to stay. I'm assuming the UK has benefits for those unable to seek employment, have you looked into that?

Hiding your apostasy is hard, but remember that even though it feels like forever, it won't be.  far away hug

I like the name by the way, what inspired you to take it on?  grin12

well 2 things really 1) i have red hair and 2) it's a song called a boy brushed red, living in black and white by underoath. It's a great song to relate to.

Reply #10 - May 08, 2012, 08:37 AM

You don't need any friends to move in with. Even if you did have friends, the chances of you all looking for a place to rent in the same area and the same city is extremely rare. Most people in your position move into house-shares where you pay per room, and live with people you don't know. I did that after uni and it worked out fine, made a good friend this way too.

how much do these cost?

Reply #11 - May 08, 2012, 08:41 AM

Going into housing that is shared by roomates/flatmates, the costs vary depending on where you live and how much of a demand and the quality of the place you're moving into. If you look in your local paper you'll get a general idea. I don't know what day the paper's would have the most rental ads in where you are, but here in Australia it tends to be either the Saturday paper or the Sunday paper.
     Reply #12 - May 08, 2012, 11:56 AM

how much do these cost?

Where I live, the cheapest is £40 a weak for a room and that is before bills and council tax. The last house-share I did was £350 a month and that was bills and council tax included (which was a very good deal considering I got my own bathroom with it).

If you live with uni students, then you get discounts on council tax.

Do a search in your own area. You could look on GumTree, or just google something like 'find a roommate'. There are loads of websites that advertise places like that. If you need any help then let us know and I'll do my best to help you out.
     Reply #13 - May 12, 2012, 09:46 PM

sorry for the late welcome sweetheart!   far away hug

my favorite proverb (a Japanese one) is:

fall down seven times, stand up eight Smiley

simple as that! 

you found us, and now you have a wonderful place to
    fully express yourself without the fear of rejection or
    having a jinn exorcism Tongue

so... have a welcome jinn on me!  ghost

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #14 - May 17, 2012, 09:41 AM

This is hard to write down but i would say i felt this way ever since i was 13 which i am now 23. Coming from a big Muslim city like Bradford it has been very hard for me to express who i am without getting put down for it. It was roughly this time when i decided to be emo and look a certain way but also found out that i fancied guys aswell as girls. This i say was a time when i was really hidden about this seeing as i went to a highly muslim populated school. Even there i got picked on for being different and eventually this is what kind of pushed me away from Islam seeing as they always justify it by shoving that down my throat.

People say this is a phase but the fact im still this way after 10 years says otherwise. After my last relationship broke down after saying i was bi and not a muslim my then muslim gf dumped me and i decided to be more open about who i was. I talked about this to my sister and friends and even though some haven't disowned me, some still keep their distance away from me.

My ultimate goal is to leave Islam however i think cause i rely on my parents too much financially i find it hard to come out due to the fear of being disowned and having no place to go. I thought to myself that once i get a job i can be able to move out and then come out which if in the situation of being disowned i can still have a roof over my head and get on with my life. Sadly that circumstance to be able to come out hasn't arrived yet. At times i wonder will that circumstance ever arrive as i''ve finished uni a couple of weeks ago and haven't got myself a job yet which makes me feel like another day in hiding if you will.

Feel free to comment if you like to hear more and i will gladly talk further with you.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I see that you are from the same city as me. If you want to meet and talk then please feel free to drop me a PM.
     Reply #15 - May 17, 2012, 10:51 AM

I see that you are from the same city as me. If you want to meet and talk then please feel free to drop me a PM.

Be sure to wear a beret and carry a copy of L'Humanité.

The Bradfordians on here remind me of the Resistance in Vichy France.
     Reply #16 - May 17, 2012, 10:54 AM

Grin

Like an episode of 'Allo 'Allo!

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #17 - May 17, 2012, 11:20 AM

Be sure to wear a beret and carry a copy of L'Humanité.

The Bradfordians on here remind me of the Resistance in Vichy France.

Unfortunately, one feels like the only ex-muslim in the village. Hence the need to look for fellow comrades!
     Reply #18 - May 17, 2012, 11:41 AM

Unfortunately, one feels like the only ex-muslim in the village.

Scary. I know Llanddewi Brefi.
     Reply #19 - May 18, 2012, 10:15 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum. I see that you are from the same city as me. If you want to meet and talk then please feel free to drop me a PM.

thanks i would love that Smiley Even better to know your from Bradford

Reply #20 - May 18, 2012, 12:35 PM

Great. Drop me a PM so that we can arrange to meet.
     Reply #21 - May 18, 2012, 05:26 PM

you`re from bradford? cool- that must be weirder- i come from quite a pakistani populated town too, but not like bradford! lol

i agree with you, ive always felt different too, tried to be practising, tried to understand, and tried talking to muslims who would just push you away, as you were too different or too unorthodox.
    the one conversation i had with a muslim, he decided that i belong in Hell because i CHOSE not to believe in God, and in that sense other non-muslims are better than me- at least they dont know.  Roll Eyes

so how do you cope undercover?

"the question is" said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be the master- that`s all."
    Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking- Glass.
     Reply #22 - May 19, 2012, 12:58 PM

you`re from bradford? cool- that must be weirder- i come from quite a pakistani populated town too, but not like bradford! lol

i agree with you, ive always felt different too, tried to be practising, tried to understand, and tried talking to muslims who would just push you away, as you were too different or too unorthodox.
    the one conversation i had with a muslim, he decided that i belong in Hell because i CHOSE not to believe in God, and in that sense other non-muslims are better than me- at least they dont know.  Roll Eyes

so how do you cope undercover?

Well i do sometimes feel like i can't cope so even though i try to i won't say im in ideal circumstances. What helps is having people who think,dress the same as you. If that is in the same background its a bonus, but the possibility of it coming from Asian backgrounds is rare. What has worked for me is that people in white backgrounds tend to accept me more, even if they don't want to be my friend they least respect me to live my own life. So i tend to associate myself with them people, not cause they white but cause they accept me and happen to be white.

Also im aware there are some liberal minded modern muslims so i think talking to them would be easier than more traditional strict types. I hope im being of help cause i won't say life for me currently is easy.

Reply #23 - May 19, 2012, 02:01 PM

My mum was from Brynmawr South Wales.  There was a joke that the Police would send IRA people there who were on bail because every move they made would be watched and reported.

Is Bradford a real life example of that?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #24 - May 19, 2012, 05:46 PM

My mum was from Brynmawr South Wales.  There was a joke that the Police would send IRA people there who were on bail because every move they made would be watched and reported.

Is Bradford a real life example of that?

Well i won't say to the extent to that but i would say the ones who will get watched are the ones who always look dodgey and have things to hide. For a normal person like me and you theres no bother. Other side of the coin though if you ever seen the bourne films then even us normal folks are watched whether its via web history and phone calls.

Just imagine the so called dodgey people what they do so they get detected.

Reply #25 - May 24, 2012, 12:58 AM

I'm twice your age and so I can give you the benefit of my experiences. I too went through difficult times when I was your age. It was tough in those days for me, while you were just a baby. Imagine that. I was jobless and many jobs in the area were very scarce. But, I had toughed it all out. At your age, I was chasing jobs but they were unavailable. I used to write CV and found no reponses. Today, it is a very different story. I no longer chase jobs. It is now the jobs chasing me. I don't look for jobs - rather, the jobs find me. How does that happen for me? OK, let me tell you how.

First, you need to trust Fate always - and I'm not a Muslim to tell you this.

Second, you need to understand why myriad things happen in your life. Fate always has its REASONS for all the things happening in your life, whether they're good or bad. When Fate takes away some things from you, it is trying to encourage you to focus on other things, whatever they may be.
    Fate can take away anything from you and yet gives you compensations.

Third, accept Fate always, not fight it. Also accept any compensation & rewards from Fate. After all, Fate is part of God. Fate is divine.

Forth, observe your life as a CLASSROOM from God, not a test from God.
    YOUR LIFE IS A CLASSROOM AND YOU'RE THERE TO RECEIVE LIFE LESSONS.  
    At present, Fate has valid reasons for making you unemployed, however temporarily. Perhaps, Fate is telling you to make the best use of all your gifts you've been given in life.  Most likely it is so. For example, you have the free time while you're jobless. Now you must make the use of the free time constructively and make the best of it too.
    So now let Fate shape your destiny and all the things will fall into right places. Trust Fate always and let Fate decides what is for your own highest good.

Fifth, trust your hunches always. Listen to your gut feeling always, never ignore it. Your conscience is the Voice of Reason and it speaks through your gut feeling. Get this, it is NOT Shaytan's whisper. It is your conscience, the gift from God. Trust God's gifts always, never neglect them. If you're in doubt, why not ask God to guide your conscience. Trust God-guided conscience as God's Whispers.

I think I have given you enough above. Mind me asking, what courses did you study at university?
     Reply #26 - May 24, 2012, 01:08 AM

Fate? another name for your imaginary friend? Why isn't 'fate' helping the starving children of Africa or the disease ridden community in Asia?
     Reply #27 - May 24, 2012, 02:17 PM

I'm twice your age and so I can give you the benefit of my experiences. I too went through difficult times when I was your age. It was tough in those days for me, while you were just a baby. Imagine that. I was jobless and many jobs in the area were very scarce. But, I had toughed it all out. At your age, I was chasing jobs but they were unavailable. I used to write CV and found no reponses. Today, it is a very different story. I no longer chase jobs. It is now the jobs chasing me. I don't look for jobs - rather, the jobs find me. How does that happen for me? OK, let me tell you how.

First, you need to trust Fate always - and I'm not a Muslim to tell you this.

Second, you need to understand why myriad things happen in your life. Fate always has its REASONS for all the things happening in your life, whether they're good or bad. When Fate takes away some things from you, it is trying to encourage you to focus on other things, whatever they may be.
    Fate can take away anything from you and yet gives you compensations.

Third, accept Fate always, not fight it. Also accept any compensation & rewards from Fate. After all, Fate is part of God. Fate is divine.

Forth, observe your life as a CLASSROOM from God, not a test from God.
    YOUR LIFE IS A CLASSROOM AND YOU'RE THERE TO RECEIVE LIFE LESSONS.  
    At present, Fate has valid reasons for making you unemployed, however temporarily. Perhaps, Fate is telling you to make the best use of all your gifts you've been given in life.  Most likely it is so. For example, you have the free time while you're jobless. Now you must make the use of the free time constructively and make the best of it too.
    So now let Fate shape your destiny and all the things will fall into right places. Trust Fate always and let Fate decides what is for your own highest good.

Fifth, trust your hunches always. Listen to your gut feeling always, never ignore it. Your conscience is the Voice of Reason and it speaks through your gut feeling. Get this, it is NOT Shaytan's whisper. It is your conscience, the gift from God. Trust God's gifts always, never neglect them. If you're in doubt, why not ask God to guide your conscience. Trust God-guided conscience as God's Whispers.

I think I have given you enough above. Mind me asking, what courses did you study at university?

Twice the age doesn't always mean twice the experience.  Mind me asking from where did your great wisdom come? If what you say is truth why is there any problems in the world?

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #28 - May 25, 2012, 07:01 PM

(Edit, reply to 247read's post)

Fate is always hard to explain. Take for example, the 911 disaster. How many lives were lost in the attacks on the twin towers?  2753. Why not MORE than that?
    Fate decides who lives and who dies?  

On days before the 11th, Twin Towers had 50000 employees working there and received 150000 daily visitors. But on 11th, an awfully LOT of Twin Towers' people were late for work, and that was a great mystery.
    On 11th, many workers were delayed in the traffic. Many missed their trains, trams, flights, etc. Many had their cars broken down. Some fell mysteriously ill.
    About the prayer rooms inside Twin Towers, they were strangely empty. Imam Abdus-Salaam went to his prayer room and wondered at the absence of worshippers. The day was Friday. He couldn't understand why? Then suddenly his gut feeling nagged at him to get out of building immediately. Pacnicked, he left the building before the attack took place.
    4000 Jews worshippers too were absent from their prayer roosm. Same with Christians and others.

As to what happened in Africa, that is going to cause huge rows from others, as some will disagree with my views. I can speculate why Africa starves, but would you really want to hear my views?
    Poverty to children is often caused by their parents' either laziness or misfortune. It is the truth. You look down the history of this world. The poorest people in this world didn't starve; they were hardy, when they were self-sufficient, self-reliant, resourceful, etc. Africans today had stopped hunting, stopped farming, stopped making crafts, etc. Most African men are lazy, spending their free times on gossiping and playing around, while their women folks work dreadfully long hours at home, in fields, etc.  
    Look at the ancient history, Romans, Greeks, Goths, Vikings, Indians of Americas were all self-sufficient. None of them starved. They ALL worked and worked and worked, no slacking. Take Romans, they hand-built roads. They prevented droughts by building rivers, ditches and wels. They hand-built concrete houses. They built everything with their bare hands. They didn't have electricitiy in those days.
    Now, why couldn't the Africans do the same as the Romans did centuries ago? Why couldn't they turn their hands to anything? Most African men are lazy and inactive and their children suffer poverty as result. The cycle goes on and on, until someone breaks away from the bad habits that his parents taught to him. Fate turns more favourably when one takes action to improve his lots. Fate rewards his efforts, not laziness.  
    Does this make any sense to you?
     Reply #29 - May 25, 2012, 07:28 PM

Happy-go-Fucky, troll you are.  

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »