Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believers

(Read 11703 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believers
     Reply #90 - May 07, 2012, 02:43 AM

I really think genuine kindness is more important, because kindness motivated by selfish reasons will only go so far. The people who risk their lives to save people, probably aren't thinking I should be, for example, a firefighter because of religious reasons. The kindness of religious people only goes so far, like charity which poses little inconvenience. Now ask a religious person to give their life for a non-believer. Ask a religious person to skip a day of prayer to do an important favor for a friend. Ask a religious person to trust and take care of a complete stranger, a homeless person in their home. Ask a religious person if they would still do charity towards someone who has no intention of converting and already has a rooted belief.

I participated in this charity thing for an organization at Christmas where you fill a shoebox with toys and they send it to places like India and Africa. I was horrified and disgusted to learn they actually take out some of the stuff you put in your shoe box to make room for a tiny Bible.

Now you tell me if motivation of kindness does not matter. Because it does.  Kindness and compassion that is not motivated by sincerity is sleazy.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • Re: Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believers
     Reply #91 - May 07, 2012, 05:58 AM

But religion doesn't lead people to come to their senses, it doesn't appeal to compassion, it doesn't appeal to ethical principles through reason. Religion is authoritarian. "Do this or you'll go to hell." The analogy would be something like me telling my friend I'd beat the shit out of him if he doesn't do as I tell him, that thing being something I think is ethical. And would my ethical friend really do what I tell him to do if I decided to order him around? Seems more likely he'd feel aggravated and tell me to fuck off, making the situation even worse.

I think you're over-simplifying things. It's not always a case of fearing eternal torment because you farted in church or whatever. Might be in some extreme versions of some religions, but that's just the real nutters. There are a lot of things you can do in quite a few religions that, while not being approved of, wont supposedly land you in hell. They're regarded more as misdemeanours rather than capital crimes, in effect. So, as long as you have the basics sorted you're off to heaven anyway, meaning there's no real threat involved if you screw up some of the trivia.

And you can't just say, as a blanket statement, that religion doesn't appeal to compassion. The Christians are bonkers about the stuff, or at least quite a lot of them are. Buddhists are into it too. It's not as simple as you're trying to make out.

So no, it isn't necessarily like you threatening to beat the crap out of your friend.

Threatening to punish someone doesn't work to make them more ethical. What works, as you drew in your analogy, is appealing to compassion.

Well, it can work to make them behave more ethically, which is useful for the rest of society even if it doesn't improve the actual person. But yeah, that's a side issue. And appealing to compassion wont always work.

This brought something to mind though. TBH I'm not sure about the proposition that acting ethically from an emotional response is more ethical than (or ethically superior to) acting ethically out of a sense of duty even when you don't really want to. Seems to me that you could just as well argue it the other way around: that acting ethically out of a sense of duty, even when you don't feel a damned thing for the person concerned, could be more ethical than only acting ethically when you happen to feel some emotion.

And even if threatening violence worked, is it ethical to do that? Is it ethical for someone to tell their friend they're going to beat the shit out of them if they don't give money to charity? Or is that not a "practical" question?

It's a practical question, but as I'm trying to point out it's not directly relevant here, because there are often no threats of violence/eternal torment/whatever directly attached to the giving or not giving of charity.

What you're arguing is that the ends justify the means, which I think is unethical.

No, I'm not arguing that at all. What I'm saying is that your presentation of religion and religious people is over-simplified and that the choices they make aren't as constrained as you seem to think. Also, that although I don't agree with their beliefs I don't see the need to slag them when they do good things anyway. I'm only concerned about the bad effects of religion. Neutral or beneficial effects don't bother me so I'm generally happy to let that sort of thing slide. It's not like religious people are going to suddenly all get raptured up to their respective heavens next Saturday. We're stuck with them for quite some time, so to my mind it makes sense to only worry about the really important stuff.

There are ethical as well as unethical ways to get people to do ethical acts. And yes, the acts themselves would be ethical, regardless of the way the person doing them was made to do them, i.e. whether someone appealed to their compassion or threatened them with violence, but the person would not be ethical. An ethical person is not only someone who does an ethical act, but rather someone who does an ethical act by the use of their own ethical reasoning.

I'm not arguing with any of that.

If you think that means I'm putting myself higher than others, so be it. I don't see it as such, but I have no desire to get into that argument because it really is irrelevant. Making me out to be some smug guy with a holier-than-thou attitude is not going to detract from my argument, and is a logical fallacy.

I think some of the attitudes expressed are, shall we say, somewhat uncharitable. grin12 You can decide for yourself whether this is relevant.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #92 - May 07, 2012, 06:28 AM

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not "slagging" religious people when they act ethically out of their sense of religious duty. What I'm saying is that there can be charity without religion, and that that is more ethical than compassion as a result of being told to be compassionate.

What this all boils down to is that you're a consequentialist and I'm not.
     Reply #93 - May 07, 2012, 06:31 AM

So has anyone here become 'less ethical' since leaving religion? Have they done things they wouldn't have done with a 'reminder' from religion about what the right thing to do is? Personally I can't say I have, at all. Gone the other way, I think. But yeah, if anyone has - speak up please. grin12

Which entirely misses the point. Religious people will sometimes say that they are doing things out of a sense of religious duty, whereas non-religious people never will. This is a no brainer.

In a study which asks people about their reasons for doing things, this is going to have an influence. It's about the actual person's perception of their motives. You have to be wary of putting people in the non-compassionate-ethically-inferior category simply because, when asked, they happened to mention their sense of religious duty.

Depends how short-sighted you want to be. Even if it produces better results in the immediate future, that doesn't mean religious obligation is conducive to a better world in the long run.

Which is a whole nother argument.

Reply #94 - May 07, 2012, 06:47 AM

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not "slagging" religious people when they act ethically out of their sense of religious duty. What I'm saying is that there can be charity without religion, and that that is more ethical than compassion as a result of being told to be compassionate.

Well TBH, the OP and some of the following posts (not just from you) did give me a sense of "Do we really have to sink this low in our attempts to be ethically superior?" Now this may just have been my perception of said posts, but it was kinda like stepping in something squishy.

I know there can be charity without religion. I've never said otherwise. The next bit is where we're getting our wires crossed. I'm not sure I can find a better analogy than the one I gave you earlier. I've been trying to point out that in practice it's not always as dictatorial and robotic a process as you seem to think.

What this all boils down to is that you're a consequentialist and I'm not.

Yup. I'm practical. If theory doesn't agree with practice, then theory is wrong. Results do matter.

Reply #95 - May 07, 2012, 07:02 AM

I've been trying to point out that in practice it's not always as dictatorial and robotic a process as you seem to think.

I know it's not. I know many religious people act compassionately. But again, I think being compassionate out of a sense of being human rather than as a result of some sort of divine order to be compassionate is more ethical.

I recognize that results matter, but I think the theory and reasoning behind them are important as well. We're humans, the thing that differentiates us from animals is our ability to think. Acting compassionately because some higher person or being told us to act compassionately makes us not different from any other animal. It's like giving a dog a biscuit for being a good boy.

Frankly, I think saying we should let religious people be as long as they act ethically is condescending. It's as if they don't know any better. I have high standards for human beings, and I think everyone can think independently and become a fully ethical person.
     Reply #96 - May 07, 2012, 07:35 AM

I know it's not. I know many religious people act compassionately. But again, I think being compassionate out of a sense of being human rather than as a result of some sort of divine order to be compassionate is more ethical.

Ok, but we know the "divine orders" are just stuff that was made up by people. So really, it's not that different to reading any book and thinking about the contents.

If you remember something you have read in a book, and if that something happens to be ethical, and if you're humming and ha'ing about whether to do something or not, that memory may tip the balance when it comes to determining your actions. If asked about it later, instead of saying "Oh yeah I'm awesome compassionate and shit" you might say "Well I wasn't really inclined to do it, but then I remembered something I'd read in....".

If this is part of a study, the researcher may write down "Subject #475a acted ethically because of something he'd read in a book, not out of a sense of compassion as such". The point being that the internal calculations of the subject may get obscured when it comes to recording the results.

recognize that results matter, but I think the theory and reasoning behind them are important as well.

One of the things that is bothering me here is that I'm not sure how good the theory and reasoning behind this study is. Because of the built-in biases, it seems almost tailor-made to give a certain result.

We're humans, the thing that differentiates us from animals is our ability to think. Acting compassionately because some higher person or being told us to act compassionately makes us not different from any other animal. It's like giving a dog a biscuit for being a good boy.

Oh dear. We are animals. We just happen to have evolved a different survival strategy to other animals. People who see themselves as something other than animals really do need a reality check. That's the whole basis of a lot of religious thinking: that we are different and better.

Animals who act compassionately don't do it because some higher being told them to. They most likely have no conception of "higher beings". They probably do it for much the same reasons we do.

Frankly, I think saying we should let religious people be as long as they act ethically is condescending. It's as if they don't know any better. I have high standards for human beings, and I think everyone can think independently and become a fully ethical person.

In theory, yes, as long as the theory is constrained sufficiently. In practice it aint gonna happen.

It's not so much a matter of being condescending as it is of being tolerant, and somewhat lazy. I can generally ignore people's quirks if they are harmless quirks. I don't have to take them to task over every detail. You might even say it's compassionate. grin12

Reply #97 - May 07, 2012, 01:00 PM

I recognize that results matter, but I think the theory and reasoning behind them are important as well. We're humans, the thing that differentiates us from animals is our ability to think. Acting compassionately because some higher person or being told us to act compassionately makes us not different from any other animal. It's like giving a dog a biscuit for being a good boy.

I realize Abood that you and Osmanthus are having a little back and forth here however I would suggested that you go back read over what you've said. Carefully considered what you sound like. I realize your intention is to be a compassionate and ethical person. No doubt in many aspects of your life you are. I've heard you here on many topics that you have insight however on this one I think perhaps your emotional closeness to some unethical religious event skewed your perspective.

"It's like giving a dog a biscuit for being a good boy." Say what?!? How much more simplistic and degrading could you get of anothers at minimum  good intention? If you could please explain to me how such a statement shows any level of being a compassionate and ethical person holding to a high standard.

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #98 - May 07, 2012, 01:17 PM

I don't care if my words offend anyone. Smiley
     Reply #99 - May 07, 2012, 01:30 PM

I don't care if my words offend anyone. Smiley

That response gave me a good laugh. It would take much more then that to offend me child. That admission that you can not explain your lack of ethical and compassionate conduct however is very sad for someone who fashion himself a philosopher. Perhaps another time you will be able to talk about the real world.

Reply #100 - May 07, 2012, 01:31 PM

Cheesy Cheesy

I never read "Doesn't offend anyone" as part of the job description of a philosopher. But okay.
     Reply #101 - May 07, 2012, 02:05 PM

Philosophers would like to challenge peoples ideas every day.

However a philosopher should also be able to explain why they make unethical and non compassionate statements about other whilst  the whole time claiming it is the others who are unethical and lacking true compassion. You mistakenly and haughtily think you have offended me. Believe me you have not. Like I have said already it would take much more child and you simply do not know me well enough. Truly I am sad for you. Sad that whatever happened in your life that you take such a narrow view of others. There are many things I would disagree with Osmanthus with however he can think and he tried gallantly to get you to think. I would like you to think about what you've said for your own sake.

How is your prejudices about a whole class of people ethical and compassionate.  Please explain.

Reply #102 - May 07, 2012, 04:16 PM

Do you know what an analogy is? Maybe you should argue directly against my analogy instead of using a tu quoque argument. But then again, I have no desire to discuss this with you. I only discuss with people who I feel I can learn something from, and everything you've said so far is boring, trite, regurgitated religious rhetoric that provides absolutely no intellectual stimulation.
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »