Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Remembering Harakaat (R.I.P.)

(Read 25286 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Remembering Harakaat (R.I.P.)
     OP - April 20, 2012, 09:36 PM

We at the CEMB forum are deeply sorry to share the news that some people here may have already heard.

One of our own has, sadly, passed away.

He was known to us as harakaat.

Harakaat had been here at the CEMB forum for just under one year, but he had managed to make friends with a lot of people here. He was sweet, intelligent, a bit on the romantic side, somewhat confused as can be expected at his age (he was 17 when he passed away), but he was an unforgettable and beautiful human being who was with us for too short a time.

Please note that we do not know the details of how he died, but we are writing this after confirming that it has happened. As the situation is with the families of closeted ex-muslims, we don't expect to receive more details about how he died or what happened. So please don't ask.

Also, in this thread, as in this entire section, please refrain from any kind of snark (snide remarks), or drama. We'll be monitoring this thread closely and will remove any such posts. Especially in this thread, please respect the memory of a beloved and troubled member, who many of us cared about and will miss.

Please use this thread to share your condolences and your memories of harakaat.

You can also share any music, art, poetry or anything else that expresses your feelings about this tragedy.

Think of this thread as the CEMB's memorial for our friend who was just here with us.

Please respect this space. And please be conscious that we have other members here who need your support, love and respect, especially in this dark hour.

Harakaat, rest in peace.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Re: Remembering Harakaat (R.I.P.)
     Reply #1 - April 20, 2012, 09:49 PM

Harakaat was a prodigal genius. That was both my first impression of him, and will be my lasting memory. Of course, even through the relatively limited contact of the forum and chat, he showed to me that he was much more than just an intellect. He was a kind and compassionate young man, in my mind the best example of the combination of rationality and tenderness on these forums. Some of the more hot-headed members of this forum (myself included) could learn a thing or two from his debating style. His friendliness and positivity were infectious, and it will be a great loss to the forums and myself to lose such a friend.

RIP harakaat.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - April 20, 2012, 09:56 PM

He was a kind and compassionate young man, in my mind the best example of the combination of rationality and tenderness on these forums.

So true. Thank you asbdsp.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #3 - April 20, 2012, 09:57 PM

Wow is this for real ? Unfortunate if it is.

How was cemb informed of his passing ?

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #4 - April 20, 2012, 09:58 PM

Wow is this for real ? Unfortunate if it is.

How was cemb informed of his passing ?

Yes, wish it wasn't true, but unfortunately, it's been confirmed by multiple members who knew him outside of here.

Reply #5 - April 20, 2012, 09:58 PM

Please some one tell me it is not true................ This is insane.,

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #6 - April 20, 2012, 09:59 PM

Yes, wish it wasn't true, but unfortunately, it's been confirmed by multiple members who knew him outside of here.

why??   how....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - April 20, 2012, 10:00 PM

Please some one tell me it is not true................ This is insane.,

far away hug

Reply #8 - April 20, 2012, 10:00 PM

I didn't know him well, but gasped at his poetry, marvelled at his intellect,
    and was deeply touched by his sensitivity.  Good night, sweet prince!

far away hug

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #9 - April 20, 2012, 10:22 PM

I have literally this second heard this awful news and am frankly in tears. I can't believe it. He was just a kid! What happened? Harakat in the short time I knew him endeared himself greatly to me and he was like a son as well as a friend. Such a sweet and bright spark. I really don't have the words to express how I feel... just devastated.
     Reply #10 - April 20, 2012, 10:34 PM

I really liked harakaat.  Might not have been his best buddy in real life but I had real affection for him.  He made me laugh often and wowed me with his 17yr old smarts.  I am gutted that he has gone, it's hard to accept that he isn't about to log on and make us all laugh with his antics and fantasies, things he won't ever have a chance to try now.  Just keep wishing it wasn't true.

RIP harakaat, don't really have the atheistic words to cover how I feel right now so I will just say I hope he is in a better place.  :(

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #11 - April 20, 2012, 10:41 PM

Whether you agreed with him or not he was not someone whom you could despise.  An idealist in a cruel real world. RIP                         

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #12 - April 20, 2012, 10:42 PM

RIP dear,sweet harakaat .
     far away hug
     Reply #13 - April 20, 2012, 10:53 PM

To say that harakaat was an intelligent guy would be an understatement; he really struggled to live out his intelligence and be as rational as possible. But I witnessed a conflict within him that reminded me much of myself; his romantic side would always show its head. He was a very poetic guy, a guy who truly knew how to express himself. His unparalleled confidence and openness were inspirational.

He had a deep love for the Arabic language, and it really reignited my love for my culture. He was a true embodiment of someone leaving faith but embracing his culture. But he loved all languages and cultures, and I was amazed at how many languages he sought to learn. He was a truly cosmopolitan guy, as evidenced by his love for Esperanto. He sought to unite all cultures and peoples, and in a way, he did it within himself.

Whatever harakaat was going through in his life, I knew he longed to escape. He was really looking forward to going to university and experiencing the student life. He had applied to programs in Montreal and was really looking forward to moving to the city. I was astounded at how obsessed he was with it. He would consistently ask me about life in Montreal, and he seemed to want to know every aspect of everything in this corner of the world. I think to him it was a form of escape, something to look forward to.

He was also very intrigued by rave culture. I think that, too, was a form of escapism to him. He was a person who really felt music deep within him, and I think he longed for a time and place when the pure bliss of sound would take over him and make everything alright.

I don't think many people can understand the bond harakaat and I shared over music. He was an artistic person who really knew what it meant to have your being moved by music, and one of very few people who could relate to me and my experiences. He had a special place in his heart for Classical music, and one of the last conversations we had was about music that moved us. These are the pieces he shared with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEnfZjqMSy0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzAx_IQydxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfjD-DQ5REk

"And of course," he said,"the masterpiece of masterpieces:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg

Harakaat, I didn't know you for very long, but you quickly came to be one of my brothers. We had a deep and unspoken bond. I knew you had my back every time I needed help, whether it was relationship advice or anything else. And the conversations we had were very enlightening and gave me a different perspective on life, truth and the universe.

Harakaat, I have no idea what's on the other side of this absurd existence, but I hope that you've found the peace you yearned for, and I hope your ashes blossom into a bright flower in the desert of Arabia. My friend and brother, you will be dearly missed.
     Reply #14 - April 20, 2012, 10:57 PM

The one thing that struck me was his eloquence and intelligence for somebody so young. His learning for his age was genuinely prodigious.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #15 - April 20, 2012, 11:02 PM

^This

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #16 - April 20, 2012, 11:06 PM

I don't think many people can understand the bond harakaat and I shared over music. He was an artistic person who really knew what it meant to have your being moved by music, and one of very few people who could relate to me and my experiences. He had a special place in his heart for Classical music, and one of the last conversations we had was about music that moved us. These are the pieces he shared with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEnfZjqMSy0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzAx_IQydxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfjD-DQ5REk

"And of course," he said,"the masterpiece of masterpieces:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSulR9Fymg

Harakaat, I didn't know you for very long, but you quickly came to be one of my brothers. We had a deep and unspoken bond. I knew you had my back every time I needed help, whether it was relationship advice or anything else. And the conversations we had were very enlightening and gave me a different perspective on life, truth and the universe.

Harakaat, I have no idea what's on the other side of this absurd existence, but I hope that you've found the peace you yearned for, and I hope your ashes blossom into a bright flower in the desert of Arabia. My friend and brother, you will be dearly missed.

Thanks for sharing that music, Abood. And for sharing your beautiful thoughts and memories about him.

Reply #17 - April 20, 2012, 11:10 PM

Damn, man.  Cry I know I'm not as active, but harakaat was one of the first member on CEMB that I saw and was truly inspired by this 16 year old (at the time). I never talked to him, but his posts always brought a smile to my face.

RIP.
     Reply #18 - April 20, 2012, 11:15 PM

All that is going through my mind now is how I wish I had told him how much I really liked him, what a sweet, tender and funny kid he was and how special he was to me. I wish I could tell him so many things but most of all I wish I could hug him and tell him things will be OK.
     Reply #19 - April 20, 2012, 11:17 PM

Hassan... there are blooms ready to blossom from our beloved fallen seed.
    All of us will be better for it.  Save that hug for another gentle soul yet to
    come, I believe Harakaat would want that from you.

far away hug

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #20 - April 20, 2012, 11:25 PM

I may not have known him very well, but the harakaat I encountered in chat was no different to the one most others would recognise; very sociable, very bright, and, well.. unselfconsciously honest. This last thing made him, in a sense; it was at once endearing and showed him to be vulnerable. Quite how vulnerable, many of us clearly had no idea.

I shall miss him.
     Reply #21 - April 20, 2012, 11:28 PM

May his memory help us become better people. I'm glad I knew him, even if it was for such a short time. He was kind, considerate, intellectual, and interesting. Rest in peace Harakaat. I'll never forget you.

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #22 - April 20, 2012, 11:39 PM

I didn't know him very well, but he was nice to me, and a pleasant guy

My condolences.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #23 - April 20, 2012, 11:40 PM

For you my little prince

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGa4P5Bq_Y&feature=relmfu

Helen Keller
     Reply #24 - April 20, 2012, 11:55 PM

It's a real shame I couldn't get to know him better. Looking at his posts, you'd never have guessed he was only 17. Such a sharp kid.
     Reply #25 - April 21, 2012, 12:10 AM

Harakaat was so sweet and so smart. I didn't know him for very long, but while I did he was one of a kind. I'm going to miss him so much. There is so much I wish I could have told him, now I never will be able to. The world has lost not only a genius, but a beautiful human being.

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #26 - April 21, 2012, 12:46 AM

Such sad news... my sincerest condolences.  far away hug

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #27 - April 21, 2012, 12:50 AM

I really wish I wasn't do distracted in the past and talked to him more. He was extremely nice and I really wanted to get to know him more.
     Reply #28 - April 21, 2012, 12:51 AM

What sad news... I mostly just lurk here and don't really know any members closely, but I (like others) was always amazed at just how learned, eloquent, and witty Harakaat was at such a young age. Through his posts I saw a sincere, playful, exceptionally bright young man, hungry for new experiences... I will miss seeing more of him.

Have you heard the good news? There is no God!
     Reply #29 - April 21, 2012, 12:55 AM

Like I said, I didn't know him too well, but I heard this song and for some reason it seemed fitting (maybe because of his age and who he was and how he deserved much more from life).

Colin Hay-Waiting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4tcRlHY-3Q

RIP

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »