Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:41 PM

What's happened to the fo...
Today at 12:21 PM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Write a letter to yourself

(Read 16851 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Write a letter to yourself
     OP - April 20, 2012, 09:03 PM

I think this exercise might be beneficial for ourselves and others, so if you want to participate please do.

Imagine yourself at the age you were when you left mandatory schooling, remember the kind of person you were, your general psychological state, and write a letter containt advice to yourself.

To make it easier - and more beneficial to anybody reading this thread - imagine that any resources that you may have come across since leaving school are avaible to your younger self, i.e. that book that gave you deep hope that didn't exist when you were a teen, is available to your teenage self.

Here's mine;

Dear strangestdude,

I'm sorry that you're feeling so depressed, anxious, suicidal, and lost. I'm sorry that you hate yourself.

I'm writing to you first of all to say; don't give up. And second of all to say - you can help yourself, just not in the way you want to and at the speed that you want. Every skill requires effort and practice to develop, which requires time and patience - and happiness is a skill, look up the defintion.

I know you are desperately searching for the guidance that you didn't receive as a child; I know that you want to know how to be a man, how to deal with people, how to deal with life, your emotions, etc. I'm 27 and I've been where you are, and if you'll let me, I'll try to provide you with practical advice, that you can come back to again and again to find inspiration, hope, and clarity.

First of all; I don't think that there is a meaning to life. Before you start feeling anxious - there is no objective meaning to life. It's an oxymoron, meaning can't be divorced from a subject. Significance, meaning, value, etc, can't exist without a subject to give something significance, meaning and value. Meaning is inherently subjective - by definition.

So what does this mean for you? You give your life meaning.

How? Well, I don't think that meaning is a sentence ie. a philosophical soundbite. Trying to find a logical justification for a sense of meaning is a black-hole that at best will leave you a broken-hearted, cynical mess - in my experience.

I think that meaning is fundamentally a sentiment. And in my experience, a general sense of meaninglessness arises when we are unhappy or anxious. And I think that the philosopher Simon Blackburn said it best; absorption and enjoyment bring about meaning. Happiness is a compass to meaning - try to follow it as best you can.

Second; You don't need a reason to be happy. Happiness or well-being is something that you naturally desire for yourself - you know this. You cry in despair, and think about suicide due to your deep unhappiness.

There's literally nothing you can do to rid yourself of your desire to be happy, and there is nothing you can do to stop yourself from being happier if you try to develop 3 things. I mean it - whether you like it or not - if you cultivate these 3 things you'll become happier. And the more you cultivate these 3 things the happier you'll become. You can develop these 3 things with the help professionals, and/or alone.

These 3 things are;

Gratitude
    Compassion
    Forgiveness

Gratitude:

Gratitude is a sentiment of appreciation or awe. Cultivating the habit of gratitude helps us to appreciate what we have in our lives that makes us happy. There are many things around you that you can appreciate.

Human beings in our culture have a habit of living in the future, believing happiness is 'down the road' or 'happiness will come once we obtain X'. Unfortunately our culture doesn't emphasize focusing on the things in our our day to day life that bring us happiness.

I promise you if you focus on appreciating reality, rather than chasing images you'll be happier.

Compassion:

Compassion is a sentiment based on empathy, kindness, and acceptance. I'd advise you to develop compassion towards yourself and others - but I'd advise you to start with yourself first.

Have you noticed that your internal dialogue is extremely self-critical? Have you noticed the tone of your internal dialogue?

What's probably happened is that insensitive and cruel critical voices that you've received from others and the prevailing culture, have become your own.

I hope you can understand one of the key reasons why you hate yourself so intensely - because you developed a habit of internal dialogue that cultivates self-hatred.

Something else that in my experience cultivates self-hatred is the belief in the myth that our conscious will is fully 'in-charge' of our behaviour. Not all failures are a failure of will - our genetics influence our choices and behaviour, ditto our environment (physical, cultural and social).

However there are practices that you can do to change your internal dialogue to become compassionate, in fact there are many. But it will require time and practice, because any habit and skill requires time and practice. I assure you compassion is a skill - look up the defintion of skill.

Forgiveness:

This can be directed towards self, others or an abstract (ie. life). What forgiveness actually is an experience of acceptance of something that's created a grievance - whether that's a person, or experience. Acceptance doesn't mean condoning, or liking something - it simply means experiencing the grievance without denial or avoidance.

I know you hate yourself for certain traits you possess, I know you hate family members, your absent father people who bullied you, etc. But one day you'll grow tired of carrying around this hatred and bad feeling - one day you'll literally become tired of it. And you'll reach a stage were you are ready to forgive - for your own sake.

One last thing - other people will piss you off, insult you, and disrespect you. People you love included. One of the reasons why it has the ability to affect our sense of self so deeply is because they supplement whatever is already occurring within ourselves. Meaning they sub-consciously or consciously supplement our habitual self-criticism, and past grievances. If you develop self-compassion and forgiveness, insensitive and selfish people won't affect your sense of self so deeply as they do now.

If you want to develop those 3 things I recommend 2 books;

Self Compassion by Kristen Neff
    Forgive for good by Fred Luskin

I'd advise you to pick an exercise from one of the books and try to practice it daily for 2 weeks, and then move on to another exercise. That way you'll maintain interest, but you'll still be developing the skills of compassion and forgiveness consistently. If do you miss a day or 2, or struggle to develop a consistent practice - don't beat yourself up about it.  Wink

One last thing, I'd advise you to look into the myer briggs type indictator (MBTI) - from experience it will give you an insight into your disposition, and will faciliate deep self-acceptance.

Sincerely,

Strangestdude.  

• Re: Write a letter to yourself
     Reply #1 - April 20, 2012, 10:08 PM

Smiley  I often suggest to those I am trying to help to write a letter to their inner child, to comfort
    and console them.  It is an outstanding exercise!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #2 - April 20, 2012, 10:10 PM

Brilliant idea, SD. I've written letters to myself, both to my past selves and to/from my future selves, as part of therapy. I definitely recommend it too.

There is a power in writing things down that is just not there in any other kind of activity.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #3 - April 20, 2012, 11:24 PM

That was a really good letter. Smiley

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #4 - April 20, 2012, 11:47 PM

Very good stuff strangestdude.

I reckon reading that would have helped everyone when they were of school leaving age.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - April 21, 2012, 12:20 AM

I reckon reading that would have helped everyone when they were of school leaving age.

Assuming they'd learnt to read.
     Reply #6 - April 21, 2012, 02:09 AM

Nice idea, have you written one to your future self as well?
     Reply #7 - April 22, 2012, 04:39 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea, I'm gonna do one too.

Hanaani (another awesome cemb member who is busy living life and loving it right now grin12 ) posted a thread about a site that can send you letters in the future.  I wish I could remember what site she used as I want to do one of those too.

There is a lot I would say to me right now. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #8 - April 23, 2012, 06:57 PM

its weird but the younger self you describe, sounds like me in so many ways.

i thought i`d attempt aswell, but i sort of didnt know what else to write; here`s what i got so far;

Dear totalweirdo,

The anger you so desperately are trying to contain is not your fault, it is a product of being born into the wrong system. This perhaps explains much of the sadness you feel, the bullying, the loneliness, the lack of understanding, the boundaries, the "need" to give-up. No-one told you about infinity.

Your whole life, you tried to achieve inner peace. You were like zulaikhah, blind in search of Youssef, like Rumi spellbound in poetry, and like the phoenix, your life would be in await of regeneration. You were seeking the simorgh. But no-one told you the road were closed, it never existed. You had been in fact walking the green mile.

And now, you carry the baggage, your whole life had been waiting for this journey. gradually let things go, pass your suitcase to a passerby, throw your keys away. start again.

Acceptance is key, remember this always. Be confident and hold your head high. You gave religion a chance didn’t you? It is now time for you to seek your destiny, whatever that may be. ...

Smiley

thnkyu for your letter, it sort of allowing me to accept my life.  whistling2

"the question is" said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be the master- that`s all."
    Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking- Glass.
     Reply #9 - April 23, 2012, 07:03 PM

Poetic letter.

Thanks dudette. Afro
     Reply #10 - May 01, 2012, 02:34 AM

fuck you
     Reply #11 - May 01, 2012, 03:01 AM

Reply #12 - May 01, 2012, 05:09 AM

Dear teenage self,

Don't give up hope, don't despair, you're stronger than you think and you have what it takes to survive, I should know 'cause I'm your future self and I'm writing this letter to you, so there.

My first bit of advice is this: Get out. Go to the cops and tell them what's going on, tell them everything and don't be afraid. Contact a DV hotline and let them know about your living situation. You know you can do this as I know how clever you are 'cause I am you only older. Walk out and never come back. Tell those who can help you (police etc...) and don't be ashamed or embarrassed and don't believe the lies that you've been told that you have to keep the secrets and the shame. You don't have to maintain loyalty to them, as they broke their duty a long time ago. Tell and know that you are doing the right thing and that in telling you will be saving and protecting your siblings. Don't do what I did, instead be brave and tell, tell, tell.

The police will believe you, they will protect you and will protect your siblings, really they will. They won't make you go back home like mother told you, rather they will protect you. Just don't let fear of your parents chicken you out in telling the cops what's going on at home.

You have a chance at life, so take it and don't let fear stop you.

Don't believe what they told you when they said that you were just a child and foolish for your dreams, your dreams are worthy and you haven't been a child since you were eight. You grew up so fast and what they say is only to keep you from believing in yourself and so that they can keep control. You can make it, they have lied to you.

Whatever you do, don't get married, don't let yourself be talked into it and don't let it happen. You don't have to get married and in fact you are smarter than they think you are and in fact you are even smarter than you give credit to yourself for. As an individual you aren't the sum of obedience to your father or a husband. You are you, special and unique and you don't need to play that role in order to be a good person. You are a good person regardless of whether you obey your father enough or whether you are a wife or not. You do not have to get married, and don't get married until you are much much older and have experienced life and worked through with a psychologist all the painful traumas you have experienced and have healed. Don't let yourself be talked into anything that your gut tells you not to do. Believe in yourself and trust your instincts.

Know that pretty much everything you were told in regards to yourself and your worth were lies. You don't have to prove to your parents that you can be a good person by marrying. You don't have to prove to anyone that you are a good person by being religious. Being religious does not equal goodness, as you already know: consider your family and how much hurt is done to others in the name of religion. Look at your mother and the pain and sorrow she experiences because of religion, because of the dogmatic views they hold, and because she stays in a bad situation because of the religious belief that in order to go to heaven that a wife must submit and obey her husband in all things. Again, religion does not equal goodness. And you don't have to be religious to be good, in fact many people are good without religion and for you I think it would be wise to give up religion all-together, that way you can learn about yourself without having the constraints of religion governing your every thought and action. If you wanted to pick up religion again in the future, you could do so, just know that by keeping to the traditions of your parents and their parents before you, that your ability to think about your situation and your ability to make wise choices are severely impaired. And anyway, if there is a god up there, if he is a good one, a wise and merciful one, he would not mind if you took a break from religion and started using your own mind to work things out. Would you really want to worship an infantile god who demanded you to live in misery and torture anyway?

You know these answers deep down, so listen and know that you do know what you really think about these things. Don't let fear govern your thoughts or actions. You don't have to believe anything you don't want to, you have your own brain and are allowed to make your own mind on things. I'm telling you this 'cause I didn't think I had a choice but I now know that I am allowed to be my own person and that I'm not a bad person for it. You have been brought up to live by fear, to obey under threat, and to give up your thoughts because you've been told they are wrong. Your thoughts aren't any wronger than those who taught you, just because you are you doesn't make your thoughts wrong. As individuals, none of us are worth any less than any other, we are all just human beings who have our own thoughts/interpretations/feelings, and your thoughts and feelings aren't any less valid than any other. Know that you are a good person and your thoughts and feelings are valid and don't believe the contrary.

Be strong in this now, and know that you will be plagued with doubts as you start to make your own descisions, but when those doubts come up, go through the pros and cons of each situation and foremost keep in your mind that the constant doubting of yourself and your thoughts and feelings and descisions is primarily because you have spent your whole life being told that you are wrong and that you are evil. You are not. Those were lies designed to keep you in your place and to make you scared to be who you are.

Don't talk to them ever again. Walk out, leave it all behind and never look back.

Study, study, study, you'll have to start with the basics but you can move on to higher levels. You can do it. You really can. They told you that you are dumb and are good for nothing but marriage and child-bearing and that you couldn't go become *dream occupation* even if you tried. But you can do it. Go for it and never look back.

Get a good job, work hard, and save up for a house. Go get therapy as you have so much decaying festering wounds inside that soul of yours and you need help so that you won't go back and so that you will be able to be strong in the face of it all. If the first psychologist you see doesn't help, see another one, just keep trying until you get the right one who you can trust. Work through with the psychologist until you start to heal. Don't ever, ever give up.

Don't be so desperate for company that you will accept any person as a friend, know that you are worth more than being taken advantage of and that any person who treats you badly isn't worth your time or your effort.

Keep strong, you can get through. You are not a bad person like you've been led to believed, you are a good person who has had bad stuff done to, it's not you who is evil, rather the persons who have hurt you. You did not deserve any of it. None of it was your fault.

You will survive.

Much love,

From your future self.

Reply #13 - May 01, 2012, 05:22 AM

Dear younger me,

I'm not in anyone going to direct you in any direction. I just come with a few warnings. If you enjoy the person you are don't change EVER. If you don't make sure you can handle what your undying curiosity brings to you. There will be a long period of depression and you may never get out of it. Just understand it's the little things that matter.
    Also don't start jerking off or doing weed you'll hate yourself for it in the future. That and talk more for fucks sake no one likes the timid quiet guy in the back.

Peace Love and Empathy, your future self

P.S Stay away from books having to do with death and/or killers you'll thank me later.
     Reply #14 - May 01, 2012, 07:50 AM

NVM

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #15 - May 01, 2012, 09:19 AM

@Dadude

Cry  Afro
     Reply #16 - May 01, 2012, 09:32 AM

shnip.

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
     Reply #17 - May 01, 2012, 09:35 AM

A fragment of yourself

Wow.

Poetic soul.

God is Love.

Reply #18 - May 01, 2012, 09:39 AM

Wow.

Poetic soul.

Narcissist

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
     Reply #19 - May 01, 2012, 09:42 AM

Nah, seriously, its a great image and metaphor  Afro

That the self is made up of fragments, and that we are made up of broken pieces, to make a whole. And fragments reminds you of paper, charred or old, on which a letter can be written, so this is very apt for a letter to yourself.

God is Love.

Reply #20 - May 01, 2012, 09:46 AM

Nah, seriously, its a great image and metaphor  Afro

That the self is made up of fragments, and that we are made up of broken pieces, to make a whole. And fragments reminds you of paper, charred or old, on which a letter can be written, so this is very apt for a letter to yourself.

Agreed. When I initially thought of it, I knew that the person I was/the feelings I was experiencing at the time I wrote the letter wouldn't be constant and they would change in a few moments, days, months. Just wanted to capture what I felt in that moment cause I knew I'd need a little dose of it later on ..

Reply #21 - May 01, 2012, 10:44 AM

My dear Alien,

Forgive the appellation. I feel myself alien to you, and you no doubt would feel alien to me; that we both may feel alien to the worlds we happen to inhabit tells me that it's only a matter of degree. It's quite normal, or so I've read. So that's all right then.

I have three major pieces of advice for you. They will save you a lot of time, effort and sanity in the coming years, but what you make of them is entirely up to you.

1. Stop lying. Whether it is to friends (that is, while you still know what having friends is like), to your parents, or to yourself. It makes life a lot less glamourous, true, but the dangers of being found out are non-existent.

2. Stop regretting what could have been. Unless it pushes you into doing something, regret is a waste of time and effort.

3. Solitude is poison. You gain nothing by hiding from people, and the mastering of boredom that you will come to think this gives you is no such thing. This is a lesson that I've not fully learnt yet, so sending this note back in time will give me a headstart (and retrospectively insulate me from the charge of hypocrisy). Or so I'd love to imagine.

There's nothing here that you will recognise as original. But that's fine. We both know that you don't do original.

As ever,

Semi-anonymous Internet user #2,391,384,322.
     Reply #22 - May 01, 2012, 11:43 AM

Hi,

You were too lazy to do this properly, tard. Hope that's changed.

Bai.

Reply #23 - May 01, 2012, 12:07 PM

As soon as I saw your name Prince I knew it would be that kind of post.  Wink
     Reply #24 - May 01, 2012, 01:11 PM

Dear teenage self,
    ......Study, study, study, you'll have to start with the basics but you can move on to higher levels. You can do it. You really can. They told you that you are dumb and are good for nothing but marriage and child-bearing and that you couldn't go become *dream occupation* even if you tried. But you can do it. Go for it and never look back.

Get a good job, work hard, and save up for a house. Go get therapy as you have so much decaying festering wounds inside that soul of yours and you need help so that you won't go back and so that you will be able to be strong in the face of it all. If the first psychologist you see doesn't help, see another one, just keep trying until you get the right one who you can trust. Work through with the psychologist until you start to heal. Don't ever, ever give up.

Don't be so desperate for company that you will accept any person as a friend, know that you are worth more than being taken advantage of and that any person who treats you badly isn't worth your time or your effort.

Keep strong, you can get through. You are not a bad person like you've been led to believed, you are a good person who has had bad stuff done to, it's not you who is evil, rather the persons who have hurt you. You did not deserve any of it. None of it was your fault.

You will survive.

Much love,

From your future self.

At first I thought I was reading Q-Daffi's letter for some reason, and I was like: "Wow, not a single swear word yet! Boy has Qman fizzed out."

But then I realised I was reading yours. Tongue It was very sweet and nice. Smiley

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #25 - May 01, 2012, 04:22 PM

3. Solitude is poison. You gain nothing by hiding from people, and the mastering of boredom that you will come to think this gives you is no such thing. This is a lesson that I've not fully learnt yet, so sending this note back in time will give me a headstart (and retrospectively insulate me from the charge of hypocrisy). Or so I'd love to imagine.

I can totally relate to this. Wise words.

Also, now that I've heard what you sound like, my brain reads all your posts with that posh accent of yours. So badass. You should be playing Hollywood villains, I swear.

Cheesy
     Reply #26 - May 01, 2012, 04:43 PM

Also, now that I've heard what you sound like, my brain reads all your posts with that posh accent of yours.

Link?
     Reply #27 - May 01, 2012, 06:33 PM

As soon as I saw your name Prince I knew it would be that kind of post.  Wink

What kind would that be? Tongue
     Reply #28 - May 01, 2012, 07:44 PM

Dont have any wise words or something grand to say,just gonna keep it plain and simple.

Dear teenage Cato

-finish your first uni and move to Lagos, ask Eve out very soon so as to save yourself from that thought "what would have happen" before someone beats you to it.

-smoke weed but dont abuse it and hang around with the fucked up guys or junkies,drink beer but dont get too drunk just tipsy.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #29 - May 01, 2012, 08:59 PM

Hi,

You were too lazy to do this properly, tard. Hope that's changed.

Bai.

Cheesy
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »