Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Art exhibition on life as Muslim

(Read 4242 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Art exhibition on life as Muslim
     OP - April 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

So, I've been thinking for some time about doing an art exhibition based on my life as a muslim prior to my deconversion and also on the subject of escape and apostasy based on my experience.

I'd do it under an assumed name (not the one I have now) and wouldn't attend the opening due to security reasons. For those who want to know, I'm an artist and I paint people's walls (murals) for extra income and quite frequently do commissions for people. I use various mediums, such as paint, drawing, sculpturing, embroidery, sewing, collages, wood and soap carving, relief work, and lithography. My art is usually very raw and people have said many times that my work is very emotion producing and gets the point across very well, most people tell me that they can feel what I feel when I'm creating it and I've seen people look like they are going to cry when they first see some of my artwork. Obviously when I paint for other people I paint what they want, and I usually have happy music blasting when I paint for other people so that happy-feelings will come out in the resulting product.

Obviously it would be very controversial and would create a lot of public debate, but it's something that I really want to do. Any ideas on how to go about it? Would it be considered too inappropriate by the public in terms of being shot-down and legal problems? Like I know it would be very politically incorrect and I'm a little worried about having a discrimination law suit being slapped on me... I don't know how far one can push it in the art world. I've seen only one thing close to what I'm wanting to do in terms of art, and that was a chocolate mold in an art exhibition I went to done of a suicide bomber's body after they'd blown themselves up. Also, what's the chances of having my work vandalized or a Muslim backlash? What's the chance of having a reaction like the Denmark Muhammad cartoon thing, or like the subsequent events after Ayaan Hirsi's/Theo Van Gogh's Submission was released?

If I do it, I won't be holding back, I want to adress every ugly, disgusting, horrifying, abusive etc... aspect of my life prior to leaving Islam and also want to adress my escape and journey after leaving through art (paintings, sculpture etc...). Also want to have such things that show the more banal parts of the existance I led, such as washing one's bum when using the toilet, daily boredom at having to stay at home all day every day because my X wouldn't let me go any where. Also the nicer aspects such as sneaking watching tv when my X wasn't there, Eid, attending weddings and so on. I want it to be a statement of what life can be like (what my life was like) when living in the extremist community and what it can be like being married to an extremist Muslim and what it can be like trying to get out and the fear you're left with. I won't tip-toe around things, not going to pander to political correctness, it's about expression not about keeping the public happy in their little bubble.  

I've already done for it:

• A painting of my miscarriage from when my X booted me repeatedly in my stomach.
    • A salaat mat I've woven and embroidered according to traditional methods modified for the purpose of doing the images I wanted to embroider (I researched for the methods used traditionally by the women in my X's country) of niqabis in different aspects of public life, such as walking behind husband, carrying child, eating with niqab on, praying (without niqab), being slapped by husband in public in front of the shabab (who sit in front of the coffee shop), reading Qu'ran in mosque, and hugging a friend.
    • A black and white painting of two women (representing me) back to back, both looking at the sky, one a niqabi in a room that is dark (I wasn't allowed to open the curtains or blinds as my X was convinced that some man might see me, so it was always dark in my home) and the other in singlet and shorts with a light background/open curtains behind her.

A colour painting of a niqabi in shariah class with the sheikh at the front talking and all the other niqabi's around her with her open Join the Caravan open on the desk in front of her and the others in various poses, mostly reading/taking notes.

I'm working on ideas for more and have a few others that I've started but haven't completed. I want to do a full-life-size sculpture of a woman being bashed by a man, representing me and my X... not sure what to use for that or what other details surrounding to put in.

The problem for me with doing this as an exhibition is I only know one other artist who has retired from the art world for 10+ years. He supports me in this, but I'm not sure what problems I will come up against with it. I wouldn't do it for a couple of years yet, as I only work on these pieces when I'm in the mood, particularly when I'm having flashbacks or sad because of what I went through or angry, or rarely when frustrated 'cause find I sometimes find I revert to prior Islamic behavior/thoughts. I channel those feelings into the artwork, therapeutic for me. Kind of a little scared what the public reaction would be if I do do this as an exhibition. Sometimes I think I must be stupid for even thinking of doing this. Am I crazy for thinking of doing this? Idk. Will the world ever be ready for it?

Any ideas, thoughts, opinions, criticisms?Huh?
  • Re: Art exhibition on life as Muslim
     Reply #1 - April 18, 2012, 10:38 AM

art exhibition based on  life as a muslim  ..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVmzYnzyy0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Zl8aNy1tk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Nrrp7hFZA

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - April 18, 2012, 10:41 AM

Good one Yeezevee!!! Thanks for the input!
     Reply #3 - April 18, 2012, 10:55 AM

Good one............

life is an Art  Da_Dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFY7pRoRzRU

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - April 18, 2012, 11:32 AM

Oooh I like the second one! Thank you Yeezevee!  Wink

Mokhtar Badri, the vice-president of the Muslim Association of Britain, tells the Telegraphs Mandrake that his organisation plans to visit the SaLon Gallery, in Notting Hill, west London, to demand that it remove Sarah Maples painting when it exhibits it next week.
    Said Badri:
    Although we condemn violence Muslims have a right to express their disgust at this work. An artist has the right to free speech and to express him or herself, but people also have the right to protest. She clearly wants to provoke a strong reaction from Muslims and that is what she will get.

Ugh, course their reaction is to state that she wants to provoke a strong reaction. That's what it's always about apparently, any art work negative towards the deen or shows anything that they don't like automatically makes Muzzos think artists only ever want to provoke them, heaven forbid it could be about anything else banghead Have they ever heard of expression of how one feels? It's not always about them, it's not always about trying to make them look bad, it's about expression of oneself, of one's soul, one's thoughts and one's feelings and opinions and trying to get that across to people, giving a message.  Roll Eyes

Maple, 23, who was brought up as a Muslim, has already evoked Islamic wrath. Her exhibition at Rolling Stone Woods gallery earlier this year depicted Muslim women in provocative poses, including one suggestively sucking on a banana.
    She doesnt intend to offend anyone but simply wants to pose questions about Muslim culture and identity.
    http://www.freethinker.co.uk/2008/10/16/will-muslims-go-the-whole-hog-and-des...

Good work Maple! Very brave!  Smiley

BTW, the you-tube comments are funny!  Tongue

P.S. Just realized this should've been posted in the Muse section, sorry.  oops
     Reply #5 - April 18, 2012, 02:08 PM

I will move it for you.

I think it's wonderful that you have an artistic outlet for your past, I always wished I was artistic but I'm not at all lol.  I think it's a wonderful idea however I would urge you to think about the public exposure and if you feel ready for it even, considering your situation.

The thing about the press is they don't respect privacy, and someone could dig into who was behind the art and in that way you would be exposed.

It is one of the reasons I haven't really been ready to publish my biography (well to even write it all yet lol) because a pseudonym only has limited protection. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - April 18, 2012, 02:29 PM

Hmmm, true, I've thought about different ways I could get around that.  Thinking hard

I've thought of going through someone to go through someone to go through someone to do the exhibition. If you get my drift, and obviously using an assumed name for it, doing it in another state, etc... I don't know, will have to keep thinking and coming up with ideas, but like I said, it wouldn't be for another couple of years yet. In the meantime will keep working on the pieces I'm doing and see what happens down the track. Who knows, maybe when I die my art-work will be "revealed" lol and then the controversy can start. Hey, maybe I should put that in my will...  Cheesy

BTW, thanks for moving my thread  Afro

Reply #7 - August 31, 2012, 10:57 PM

Any further news on this? I would wholeheartedly support a venture like this.
     Reply #8 - September 01, 2012, 10:14 AM

Good luck Da_Dude Smiley

Reply #9 - September 09, 2012, 03:49 AM

Da_Dude, this is a wonderful idea. I've contemplated doing something like this as well. Please keep us updated and good luck to you! Afro
     Reply #10 - September 10, 2012, 09:59 PM

Heh. Wouldn’t it be great if stuff like this got into the main gallery in London? Because, you know, it’d be AposTATE… Grin.
  • Art exhibition on life as Muslim
     Reply #11 - October 18, 2015, 01:02 AM

Anyone know if this happened?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »