Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Astronomy ~ Images from Space (Pictures only)

(Read 42983 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Astronomy ~ Images from Space (Pictures only)
     OP - April 04, 2012, 02:37 AM

Thought this place needs a thread dedicated to only PICTURES, images, photos and videos containing such imagery of objects in space, everything from nebulae, galaxies, stars, and Earth as seen from outside.

Please keep off-topic or long discussions to a minimum. Share a space/astronomy picture in every post. If the image is too high-res, link to it so we can see it in high res too.

Also, as much as possible, please remember to GIVE CREDIT to the source where you got the photo and/or its creator.

Some places to find space/astronomy pics:
    http://hubblesite.org/gallery
    http://www.spacepictures.org
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/index.html
    http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov
    http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/photo_gallery
    http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery
    http://www.telescopes.cc

(Share others you know of and I'll add to the list above)

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Re: Astronomy ~ Images from Space (Pictures only)
     Reply #1 - April 04, 2012, 02:38 AM

Pelican Nebula
    The Pelican Nebula is in the Cygnus constellation in an area of space commonly associated with the North America Nebula. It is so named because the top, from our perspective, resembles the head of a pelican bird.

Astrophotography by Keith B. Quattrocchi

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #2 - April 04, 2012, 02:43 AM

Reply #3 - April 04, 2012, 02:58 AM

source for these aurora pics

Reply #4 - April 04, 2012, 03:10 AM

The Pinwheel Galaxy - M33 - Photograph by Matthew T. Russell

Reply #5 - April 04, 2012, 03:12 AM

jawdrop I love these.

Andromeda Galaxy [NASA]

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #6 - April 04, 2012, 03:16 AM

Messier 13
    Messier Object 13 (also known as the Hercules Globular Cluster, M13, or NGC 6205) is a globular cluster in the Hercules constellation. With an apparent magnitude of 5.8, it is barely visible with the naked eye on a very clear night. Its real diameter is about 165 light years, and is composed of several hundred thousands of stars. It is almost 35,000 light-years away from Earth.

Image by Robert J. Vanderbei using a 10" Ritchey-Chretien telescope and a Starlight Express SXV-H9 CCD camera.

Reply #7 - April 04, 2012, 03:21 AM

jawdrop I love these.

Andromeda Galaxy [NASA]

(Clicky for piccy!)

Nice Afro Totally jaw-dropping stuff, yeah.

below:
    Antennae Galaxies
    The Antennae Galaxies (also Ringtail Galaxy, Caldwell 60, or just Antennae) are a pair of galaxies (NGC 4038 + NGC 4039) in the process of a violent collision 90 million light years away in the constellation Corvus.

Reply #8 - April 04, 2012, 03:28 AM

Lagoon Nebula
    The Lagoon Nebula (also known as M8 and NGC 6523) is a giant 50-light-year-wide interstellar cloud in H II region, in the Sagittarius constellation, being illuminated by newborn stars within. At an estimated distance of 5,200 light-years, the Lagoon is one of only two star-forming nebulas faintly visible to the naked eye from mid-northern latitudes.
    This image by Richard Crisp

Reply #9 - April 04, 2012, 04:14 AM

If your 'first' ancestor began when the birth of the earth, and ideally lived to 100 Tongue you would be the 45,000,000th x great(?) grandchild Tongue

250,000 since the first human ancestor began... :/ I think thats right, from 25mil...hmm

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #10 - April 04, 2012, 03:01 PM

Stardust, want to add an astronomy/space pic above? ^

^That's the spaceship Atlantis in front of the Sun.

Reply #11 - April 04, 2012, 03:02 PM

Great idea for a thread.

This kind of stuff blows my mind.

Flying around the earth as seen from the International Space Station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG0fTKAqZ5g&feature=player_embedded

Inspired by a version of the opening sequence of this clip called 'What does it feel like to fly over planet Earth?', I tracked down the original time-lapse sequence taken on the International Space Station (ISS) via NASA, found some additional ones there, including the spectacular Aurora Australis sequences, and set it to a soundtrack that almost matches the awe and wonder I feel when I see our home from above.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #12 - April 04, 2012, 03:04 PM

Stardust, want to add an astronomy/space pic above? ^

(Clicky for piccy!)

That's the spaceship Atlantis in front of the Sun.

Sorry didn't read the title properly Tongue

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #13 - April 04, 2012, 03:10 PM

No problem Smiley

Reply #14 - April 04, 2012, 03:24 PM

These are images of Enceladus, moon of Saturn captured by Cassini. It won't let me attach a picture from my comp, says files too big, grr lol, net pictures will do then. Tried resizing the picture, still too big.

Wiki says:

Enceladus is one of only three outer Solar System bodies (along with Jupiter's moon Io and Neptune's moon Triton) where active eruptions have been observed. Analysis of the outgassing suggests that it originates from a body of sub-surface liquid water, which along with the unique chemistry found in the plume, has fueled speculations that Enceladus may be important in the study of astrobiology.[14] The discovery of the plume has added further weight to the argument that material released from Enceladus is the source of the E ring.
    In May 2011 NASA scientists at an Enceladus Focus Group Conference reported that Enceladus "is emerging as the most habitable spot beyond Earth in the Solar System for life as we know it"

Reply #15 - April 04, 2012, 03:29 PM

LOVE THIS THREAD!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #16 - April 04, 2012, 03:31 PM

Something I compiled a couple of years ago. Images from a book I have. Lol, you can see the camera reflections on some of the pics, still, was a good background image for a while .... Trying to make excuses for it. Whatever it may be crappy but I enjoyed it.

Reply #17 - April 04, 2012, 03:36 PM

Something I compiled a couple of years ago. Images from a book I have. Lol, you can see the camera reflections on some of the pics. Still, was good for a background image for a while Smiley

WHO ARE YOU???   WHO ARE YOU???   WHO ARE YOU???  WHO ARE YOU??? ..

You have stunning interests and educational background Star Dust...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #18 - April 04, 2012, 03:37 PM

*gasps* dustie, thats awesome.. especially the one called "neat" lol.
    wow!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #19 - April 04, 2012, 04:26 PM

WHO ARE YOU???   WHO ARE YOU???   WHO ARE YOU???  WHO ARE YOU??? ..

You have stunning interests and educational background Star Dust...

I come in peace  Tongue

*gasps* dustie, thats awesome.. especially the one called "neat" lol.
    wow!

Thanks! Glad you like it. I used to be more into astronomy and cosmology back then than I am nowadays.

Reply #20 - April 04, 2012, 04:52 PM

Pandora, fifth moon of the gas giant Polyphemus, Alpha Centauri system

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #21 - April 04, 2012, 04:55 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

Pandora, fifth moon of the gas giant Polyphemus, Alpha Centauri system

hmm billy would you like to live there??  The Pandora    ..lol..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #22 - April 07, 2012, 02:33 PM

Now, I am not really a fan of posting "pretty pictures" of astronomy, it doesn't do them justice to be seen as just pretty pictures. Well, I'll post some that I find interesting. Someone has posted pictures of the Andromeda galaxy in visible light, I'll post it again just as a reference for this series. The images aren't oriented and aligned properly, sorry about that.

If we were to look at Andromeda it would look something like this.

It's a great example of a spiral galaxy, this particular one is headed our way at 300 kilometres per second. Tongue

Click for the high-res picture

This is the same galaxy, the only difference now is that we're looking it infrared, thanks to the Spitzer  Space Telescope. We can see straight past through the dust that blocks our view in the visible spectrum. This image is quite peculiar, what we're looking at clusters of gas and dust.

Click to see in high-res...it's worth it.

This picture comes from the Swift telescope which looks out for gamma-ray bursts. This picture is taken in ultraviolet light, this kind of light comes from very hot gas and new born massive stars. It's quite a different view than IR.

You know the deal. Tongue

This picture is a composite image, the blue light in this image is in the x-ray spectrum and the orange light is in far infrared. Amazingly hot material, material falling into black holes and material around neutron stars get really hot and emit x-rays. Really cold dust in the spiral arms, which is carved out beautifully, glows in far IR.

This final image is just eye candy, it's a favourite of mine. It was taken by the WISE, this image is in different wavelengths of IR light. Star forming regions in this image are coloured pinkish, the orange stuff is cold dust and the blue colour comes from old stars, they aren't resolved in this image that's why it appears to be a blue haze.

So, there we have it, lots interesting images of just one galaxy, they're all beautiful and each sheds a different light on our galactic neighbour and helps us understand it a bit better.
     Reply #23 - April 10, 2012, 01:07 AM

@CRB awesome post man, The information along the pictures is priceless  grin12

Lost somewhere between immensity and eternity is our tiny planetary home. [carl sagan]
     Reply #24 - April 13, 2012, 05:54 PM

These two images are nothing alike, but they're my all time favourites.

First up we have the amazing Stephan's quintet. It's named after Édouard Stephan who discovered these galaxies in 1877. In the foreground, the blueish galaxy is just 40 million light years away, and in the background we have an incredible group of four interacting galaxies they're about 300 milliom ly away. This was one of the first of objects Hubble looked at after getting a brand new WFC camera back in 2009, and you can see why.

This is a picture of our planet, it's a scenic sunset seen from the ISS.

Click to see in high-res, it's worth it.  Smiley
     Reply #25 - April 13, 2012, 10:33 PM

Cool pics, GRB. Afro

Here are some cool pics of the Earth from the International Space Station:

Andre Kuipers, space station astronaut, sends pictures to Earth via Twitter

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #26 - April 13, 2012, 10:38 PM

Great pics, GRB. Yeah high res definitely worth it. And ateapotist, those are amazing shots.

Reply #27 - April 13, 2012, 11:36 PM

Great shots there, teapot. I love to see the Earth at night from space. We look like colonies of bacteria growing on a giant petri dish.

I just love this image so much. It shows the Shuttle Endeavour approaching the ISS while the sunsets in the background.

Reply #28 - April 13, 2012, 11:43 PM

These are images of Enceladus, moon of Saturn captured by Cassini. It won't let me attach a picture from my comp, says files too big, grr lol, net pictures will do then. Tried resizing the picture, still too big.

Wiki says:

(Clicky for piccy!)

(Clicky for piccy!)

I love enchiladas. yes

This one from the Andre Kuipers shots really makes it obvious how thin our atmosphere actually is.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #29 - May 24, 2012, 12:07 PM

Source

Processed Solar Dynamics Observatory images in the 171 Angstrom wavelength of extreme ultraviolet show plasma in the solar atmosphere, called the corona.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »