Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Non-people of the book

(Read 1604 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Non-people of the book
     OP - April 02, 2012, 03:19 PM

Muslims always like to point out that Islam recognizes and respects People of the Book. But they  conveniently leave out all the others; what about Hindus, Zoroastrians, Shintoists, Buddhists  and God forbid  dance atheists and agnostics?

Are Hindus or Buddhists even allowed to live in muslim countries?

Isn't it funny how cats can understand people without ever reading a single psychology book?
  • Re: Non-people of the book
     Reply #1 - April 02, 2012, 03:22 PM

Most muslim countries don't apply sharia, or at least not fully anyway. Anyway, when the Muslims invaded India they declared the Hindu people people of the book for the sake of pragmatism, I think similar rules where applied to Zoroastrians, in fairness, I think the whole 'people of the book' rule was made to hate on the pagan Arabians rather than as an eternal rule.

It doesn't matter now, it doesn't have a major impact on social policies (although heavy discrimination does exist, but not on the pretext of people on the book etc) in most areas where non-Christians/Jews live along with Muslims, like Malaysia, Indonesia for example.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #2 - April 02, 2012, 03:46 PM

Muslims always like to point out that Islam recognizes and respects People of the Book. But they  conveniently leave out all the others; what about Hindus, Zoroastrians, Shintoists, Buddhists  and God forbid  dance atheists and agnostics?

Are Hindus or Buddhists even allowed to live in muslim countries?

I have thought of this myself. But even the phrase 'people of the book' is chauvinistic because its imposing on Christians and Jews a definition of themselves that doesn't relate to how they see themselves.

And of course as you point out, the rest of humanity don't even exist as fully realised humans as they are not halal.

Even humanity has to be divided into halal and haraam. Its just basic chauvinism that even gets projected as some kind of generosity.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #3 - April 02, 2012, 03:53 PM

and the thing is, neither christians OR Jews consider
    muslims to be people of the book.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #4 - April 02, 2012, 04:04 PM

I think there's a difference between "people of the book" (Jews & Christians) and "dhimmis" (non-muslims under Islamic rule) the latter have less freedom.

and the thing is, neither christians OR Jews consider
    muslims to be people of the book.

Depends on what type of Christian you talk to. A right-winger from Europe or N. America will probably say muslims worship the devil. A Palestinian Christian will probably reply in a totally different way. The brotherhood amongst Arabs regardless of their faith is quite common, I know a Palestinian kid who has Islamist leanings yet refers to Arab Christians as "brothers".

Also the same can be said about muslims, most wouldn't refer to Christians & Jews as "people of the book" today because they're quite different from the Christians & Jews of the 7th century. E.g. Islamically speaking you can eat kosher meat however most muslims won't today because they say Jews aren't as monotheistic as they once were (rejection of OT laws, secularism/democracy etc)
     Reply #5 - April 02, 2012, 04:10 PM

I thought about that after I posted that, Aphrodite, and you are right.

I have met palestinian xians, too.  There are jews in Israel too that
    consider muslims their brothers.  (mainly the hasaidics)

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #6 - April 02, 2012, 04:26 PM

I think there's a difference between "people of the book" (Jews & Christians) and "dhimmis" (non-muslims under Islamic rule) the latter have less freedom.

In other words, People of the book are dhimmis whom are under compulsion to pay jizya.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #7 - April 02, 2012, 04:29 PM

In other words, non Muslims are degraded and demonised.

Its long overdue that this attitude was removed.

God is Love.

Reply #8 - April 02, 2012, 04:36 PM

In other words, People of the book are dhimmis whom are under compulsion to pay jizya.

Sorry I should have said "polytheists" rather than "non-muslims". The Quran condemns polytheists more than it does Xristians or Jews. So, Buddhists, Hindus and others would have a harder time under Islamic rule than Jews or Christians would. Yup, pay Jizya, leave or face death.
     Reply #9 - April 02, 2012, 04:42 PM

I have thought of this myself. But even the phrase 'people of the book' is chauvinistic because its imposing on Christians and Jews a definition of themselves that doesn't relate to how they see themselves.

And of course as you point out, the rest of humanity don't even exist as fully realised humans as they are not halal.

Even humanity has to be divided into halal and haraam. Its just basic chauvinism that even gets projected as some kind of generosity.

Well at least salafis don't even pretend it's generosity. They openly say that paying jizyah is form of punishment.

Isn't it funny how cats can understand people without ever reading a single psychology book?
     Reply #10 - April 02, 2012, 04:48 PM

The Koran explains everything. Thus it is ridiculous to think that question of hindoos, buddhists and others is not answered in Al-Kitab. In fact as non-people of the book they don't have a religion, since religion comes from Allah swt, they only have human inventions and thus are less than mu'minoon and ppl of the book. Question answered, Islam is perfect.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #11 - April 02, 2012, 05:34 PM

Well at least salafis don't even pretend it's generosity. They openly say that paying jizyah is form of punishment.

But the Salafis have the virtue of being honest in this regard at least.

God is Love.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »