Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Richard Feynman Appreciation Thread

(Read 5705 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Richard Feynman Appreciation Thread
     OP - March 25, 2012, 11:23 PM

I've read a couple of his books (in the middle of one currently), really love this guy as a scientist and a person, so I thought why not dedicate a thread to discuss all things related to him?

To start I would like to share this link I saw on FB, I think by Muzamil, fairly recently (This was a letter he wrote to his wife after she died):

October 17, 1946

D’Arline,

I adore you, sweetheart.

I know how much you like to hear that — but I don't only write it because you like it — I write it because it makes me warm all over inside to write it to you.

It is such a terribly long time since I last wrote to you — almost two years but I know you'll excuse me because you understand how I am, stubborn and realistic; and I thought there was no sense to writing.

But now I know my darling wife that it is right to do what I have delayed in doing, and that I have done so much in the past. I want to tell you I love you. I want to love you. I always will love you.

I find it hard to understand in my mind what it means to love you after you are dead — but I still want to comfort and take care of you — and I want you to love me and care for me. I want to have problems to discuss with you — I want to do little projects with you. I never thought until just now that we can do that. What should we do. We started to learn to make clothes together — or learn Chinese — or getting a movie projector. Can't I do something now? No. I am alone without you and you were the "idea-woman" and general instigator of all our wild adventures.

When you were sick you worried because you could not give me something that you wanted to and thought I needed. You needn’t have worried. Just as I told you then there was no real need because I loved you in so many ways so much. And now it is clearly even more true — you can give me nothing now yet I love you so that you stand in my way of loving anyone else — but I want you to stand there. You, dead, are so much better than anyone else alive.

I know you will assure me that I am foolish and that you want me to have full happiness and don't want to be in my way. I'll bet you are surprised that I don't even have a girlfriend (except you, sweetheart) after two years. But you can't help it, darling, nor can I — I don't understand it, for I have met many girls and very nice ones and I don't want to remain alone — but in two or three meetings they all seem ashes. You only are left to me. You are real.

My darling wife, I do adore you.

I love my wife. My wife is dead.

Rich.

PS Please excuse my not mailing this — but I don't know your new address.

Link: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/02/i-love-my-wife-my-wife-is-dead.html

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • Re: Richard Feynman Appreciation Thread
     Reply #1 - March 25, 2012, 11:36 PM

First book I read by him was 'Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman', a few years ago, it was funny, gripping and really made a scientist appear normal, although a genius, yet he had a 'human' element to him, his wit and humour and general happy outlook, rather than the typical concept of a socially awkward scientist who is emotionally cold and robotic.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #2 - March 26, 2012, 01:27 PM

I've read a couple of his books (in the middle of one currently), really love this guy as a scientist and a person, so I thought why not dedicate a thread to discuss all things related to him?

To start I would like to share this link I saw on FB, I think by Muzamil, fairly recently (This was a letter he wrote to his wife after she died):

Link: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/02/i-love-my-wife-my-wife-is-dead.html

That letter of Richard Feynman is as beautiful as his mind stardust.,  I didn't know that part of his life., she died very young with in a year or two after they got married from tuberculosis  

While researching for his Ph.D., Feynman married his first wife, Arline Greenbaum (often spelled Arlene). She was diagnosed with tuberculosis, but she and Feynman were careful, and he never contracted it. She succumbed to the disease in 1945. In 1946 Feynman wrote a letter to her but kept it sealed until after his death.[45] This portion of Feynman’s life was portrayed in the 1996 film Infinity, which featured Feynman’s daughter Michelle in a cameo role.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - March 26, 2012, 03:22 PM

I never heard of Infinity before, thank you! I might watch that Smiley

Reply #4 - March 26, 2012, 03:39 PM

stardust  I think you have clearly work in basic Sciences ..

You should read  his book "MotionMountain"   I think it is six volumes..  it is all Physics and it is for every one.. I have them as PDF files..

here ... http://motionmountain.net/   you can down load them..

Reply #5 - March 26, 2012, 03:43 PM

stardust  I think you have clearly work in basic Sciences ..

You should read  his book "MotionMountain"   I think it is six volumes..  it is all Physics and it is for every one.. I have them as PDF files..

here ... http://motionmountain.net/   you can down load them..

What do you mean? I don't generally look at pop science (popular/for the layman), no,...if that's what you mean.

Thanks for the link! Tbh If it's basic physics...as much as I like Feynman, that stuff can get boring with repetition Tongue I'll have a look.

Reply #6 - March 26, 2012, 03:51 PM

What do you mean? I don't generally look at pop science (popular/for the layman), no,...if that's what you mean.

Noooo I didn't mean that you are a layman laywomen science reader ..

I meant you are doing some sort of research work/ research student in subjects like  in Physics/Biology/Chemisty/math/Astronomy.. whatever..

Reply #7 - March 26, 2012, 03:54 PM

Noooo I didn't mean that you are a layman laywomen science reader ..

I meant you are doing some sort of research work/ research student in subjects like  in Physics/Biology/Chemisty/math/Astronomy.. whatever..

Ohhh, Sorry Yeezevee, I find your English a little tricky to decipher sometimes Tongue

Reply #8 - March 26, 2012, 04:00 PM

I was just watching an 1 hour and 40 minutes documentary on Feynman, family members talking about him, friends, colleagues and himself.

That guy was a genius, the true definition of Genius.

Reply #9 - March 27, 2012, 05:52 AM

Isaac Newton would kick his ass in a contest of who's a bigger genius.  cool2

I'd put Feynman no higher than a Da Vinci level of genius, if that.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #10 - March 27, 2012, 06:07 AM

Can't compare Feynmann to Da Vinci, not sure why you would even want to.
     Reply #11 - March 27, 2012, 06:10 AM

Genius isn't a contest. :/

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #12 - March 27, 2012, 06:15 AM

Everything's a contest and Newton wins all of them.  cool2

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #13 - March 27, 2012, 06:58 AM

asbdp.... in that sense  on winners and  losers ,  Darwin's concept of Evolution beats everything and every discovery..

Reply #14 - March 27, 2012, 07:53 AM

fitting in every way.

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #15 - March 27, 2012, 08:55 AM

Isaac Newton would kick his ass in a contest of who's a bigger genius.  cool2

I'd put Feynman no higher than a Da Vinci level of genius, if that.

Not really.

I think Isaac Newton's stuff was way more evident than Richard's stuff, I definitely think Richard is smarter than Newton.

When it comes to real hardcore Geniuses I would have to say Nikola Tesla and Charles Darwin are the biggest ones.

Reply #16 - August 10, 2012, 12:34 PM

BBC Horizon 1993 video of Richard Feynman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzg1CU8t9nw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL2DuZPKA3w

JUICE...JUICE....oh hoh oooo JUice..Huice... lol.............

Great guy.. great soul..

Reply #17 - August 10, 2012, 12:58 PM

Richard Feynman on doubt, uncertainty and religion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zi699WzAL0

<3

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »