Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 08:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 02:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 01:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Useful Tips: What you should do when you interact with Arabs

(Read 4469 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Useful Tips: What you should do when you interact with Arabs
     OP - February 23, 2012, 10:36 PM

I swear to god... this is straight from the emeretes247.com lol

http://www.emirates247.com/lifestyle/useful-tips-what-you-should-do-when-you-interact-with-arabs-2012-02-23-1.444585

Don’t point your feet and don’t beckon with your finger
    By StaffPublished Thursday, February 23, 2012
    When you meet an Arab, make sure you do not cross your leg and point a feet in your companion’s direction as this will be taken as an insult.

The advice, or rather a warning, was included in a report containing tips to non-Arab expatriates on how to deal with Emiratis and other Arab citizens. It was published in the first issue of the Ministry of Interior’s English language monthly police magazine 999 released this week.

The report, titled “Mind the culture gap”, also warned foreigners against using their finger to beckon an Arab and explained what Arabs would do with their fingers when they want their foreign companion to speak slowly.

Following are some of the tip:

-Don’t cross your legs:

The gesture of crossing ones legs – when the upper leg is ‘bounced’ on the lower knee with the foot pointed in the general direction of a companion – is often made quite unconsciously by expats. This can cause Arabs discomfort, perhaps even distaste, since it may symbolize, in body language terms, an accusing or threatening weapon.

It could also indicate that you are feeling impatient – a social crime in the Gulf. The solution is not to cross the legs when in company of Arabs or, if this is not convenient, then to take care where the foot is pointed!

-Shway shway (slowly)

You may see an Arab make the gesture of drawing the fingers of the right hand into a steeple, gently bringing the hand down a few inches once or twice, or perhaps just gently wagging the steepled fingers a little. It means ‘little,
    little’, i.e. ‘Slow down a bit; be gentle; be patient.’ On the road, truck and other drivers, will make the gesture through the vehicle’s side window to other drivers. It means: ‘Please let me in’ or ‘Please let me change lanes’.

-Sense of humor

The Arab sense of humour is well developed and can provide a useful bridge to establishing a relationship. However, take care not to belittle or make a joke of the person since this risks causing a loss of face, which will do untold damage to any relationship that might have been developing between you. It will possibly come across as simply rude.

-Judging and trusting you

What is certain, in terms of judging people, is that almost all Arabs can quickly notice, and see through, false or shallow ‘friendship’ sought or maintained simply to advance commercial interests or similar.

Become trusted over time; be genuine in your relationships. Be yourself; do not pretend with Arabs – let a confidence develop between you.

-Beckoning with fingers

In many regions of the Arab world, to ask someone to approach you by beckoning with the upright forefinger is distinctly rude, as is the defiant gesture of disapproval indicated by the raising of a digit finger from a clasped fist on an extended arm.  The latter gesture is known to be, and usually intended to be, rude in any society. But the former gesture involving an upright forefinger may be made quite unconsciously by an expat in an Arab country. Care is therefore needed not to give offence.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
  • Re: Useful Tips: What you should do when you interact with Arabs
     Reply #1 - February 24, 2012, 01:41 AM

When I was a kid and I inadvertently pointed my foot at a school administrator, they actually called my parents Tongue

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
     Reply #2 - February 24, 2012, 02:44 AM

Interesting, but first the Arab shop owners should stop licking their finger thumbs and try to pinch their customer's cheeks because thats just disgusting. I slap their hands away if they try that.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #3 - February 24, 2012, 02:46 AM

I've honestly never heard of or seen that.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #4 - February 24, 2012, 03:12 AM

What is certain, in terms of judging people, is that almost all Arabs can quickly notice, and see through, false or shallow ‘friendship’ sought or maintained simply to advance commercial interests or similar.

because arabs are just magically gifted, ALMOST ALL?  wacko, to be totally intuitive and never ever naive or prone to a mistake.  cos you know, arabs are the chosen ones.   wacko

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #5 - February 24, 2012, 03:39 AM

I know, right? It's so annoying when human beings are reduced to cartoonish stereotypes of their ethnicity/country of origin/gender...

حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

Reply #6 - February 24, 2012, 03:40 AM

I've honestly never heard of or seen that.

It happen to me when i went for Umrah.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #7 - February 24, 2012, 03:44 AM

I know, right? It's so annoying when human beings are reduced to cartoonish stereotypes of their ethnicity/country of origin/gender...

Totally agree.

Except when it comes to Chinese people, because they are all geniuses.  Then it's ok to stereotype.   cool2

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #8 - February 24, 2012, 04:04 AM

Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QoA44c23A

حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »