Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hmm Problems in singing Zikr in American schools?? why ...

(Read 1424 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hmm Problems in singing Zikr in American schools?? why ...
     OP - February 22, 2012, 05:02 AM

Hmm  Problems in singing Zikr in American schools?? why ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCicTmGT7_g&feature=endscreen&NR=1

well here is the news
    it says
    A student has left his high-school choir after the group sang an Islamic song which contained lyrics in praise of Allah. James Harper, a senior at Grand Junction High School in Colorado, protested when the after-school men's choir chose to sing 'Zikr', by Indian composer A.R. Rahman.

He said he thought it was inappropriate for the choir to sing 'an Islamic worship song' which includes the line 'There is no truth except Allah'. But when he complained to the local school district, they defended the choir director,.............

Why these Atheist are joining in that sing song groups?? choir  is for good people not for bad kids..   These kids now a day needs caning and beating., they have NO discipline.   Incidentally Zikr involves phrase like

Allahu Akbar - الله أَكْبَر means "Allah is Greater" or "Allah is the Greatest"
    Subhan'Allah - سبحان الله means "Glory be to Allah" or "Exalted be Allah [far above is Allah from any shortcoming or imperfection]"
    Alhamdulillah - الحمد لله means "All praise is due to Allah"
    La ilaha ilallah - لا إله إلا الله means "There is no god but Allah"
    La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah - لا حول ولاقوة إلا بالله means "There is no power or strength except with Allah."
    Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem- means "In the Name of God, The Gracious, The Merciful" said before anything of spiritual significance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX-x13KTFbw

great stuff great music., Off course that Indian guy is afar better composure than  what you see above

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Re: Hmm Problems in singing Zikr in American schools?? why ...
     Reply #1 - February 22, 2012, 01:53 PM

good for James Harper.. i hated it though when he immediately felt like he had to explain that he wasn't a bigot or racist.. he shouldn't have to feel like that.. religion has no place in school..

school choirs are going to be engaged in singing religious types of songs...

there are places to worship if one chooses to do so.. and school isn't one of them..
     Reply #2 - February 22, 2012, 02:57 PM

If religion has no place in school, choirs should be banned outright. Singing can be encouraged without recourse to hymns.
     Reply #3 - February 22, 2012, 02:58 PM

Not all choirs (at least in the UK) sing hymns. I was in the school choir, we never once sung a hymn.

The closest thing was weeping by John Groban or Angels by Robbie Williams.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #4 - February 22, 2012, 03:01 PM

Lucky you. The allegedly progressive school I went to hadn't figured out a way of excluding those.

This was in the early 90s, though.
     Reply #5 - February 22, 2012, 03:04 PM

Fair do's, I'm talking about 2006. When I was working in schools in the last three years I saw that religion was playing less and less a part in everyday life, even in the COE schools. It's a promising sign, problem is, there are still those parents who feel they have to reassert this and they are forming larger pressure groups than we are used to.

For the Christian ones, there's an added incentive in doing it to spite the Muslims-obviously this isn't the foundation of every Christian parent's protest, but you do see it quite often whereby they wouldn't otherwise give a toss.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #6 - February 22, 2012, 10:27 PM

I think this guy was a christian, not an atheist.

Look I am not bothered by singing or hearing a religious song, well as long as its not "kill the infidels" or "off with his head". If it sounds nice and has good music, I dont run scared from it. Some religious songs are beautiful relaxing, and sweet to the ear.

I have murdered a few Kum-By-Yaas in my time, and you wanna hear me strangle Oh Come all ye Faithful! :-)

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #7 - February 22, 2012, 10:29 PM

Its when you believe the songs are statements of fact, that things get problematic :-)

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #8 - February 22, 2012, 11:49 PM

James Harper did the right thing. Religious songs shouldn't be sung in school. People should keep their religion to themselves.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »