Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Marriage and slavery

(Read 1586 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Marriage and slavery
     OP - March 09, 2012, 07:00 AM

There was a comment on BBC Radio 4 that older married British men are marrying ten to fifteen year younger women, who then spend a long with their partners in out patients.

A friend commented it is worse with Muslim households.  Sixty year olds will marry twenty year olds.  The sixty year old will then have a stroke or a heart attack and the twenty year old then becomes their full time carer.

OK, if it was an arranged marriage, why is that not slavery?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Re: Marriage and slavery
     Reply #1 - March 09, 2012, 08:36 AM

Well we all know that many of these so called arranged marriages are forced. I know of one guy who was "pressured" into marrying a girl in Pakistan. He is not happy and hardly sees and communicates with her. In a way he is in a form of community slavery. He is not free to make his own choice. 
     Reply #2 - March 11, 2012, 04:40 AM

If a man wants to marry a younger woman and it is consensual or genuine attraction then fine whatever it's between two adults. It is not ok for older men to want to marry girls barely 18. Because younger girl have no idea what the consequence of being sexually involved with a man. Being forced to marry someone you do not love is the worst. Because one day you'd meet someone you'll love very much and you could never be with them because you are stuck in a shitty relationship.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #3 - March 11, 2012, 06:24 AM

^it annoys the hell out of me when i said something similar to your statement to some muslims and they will start arguing with me. I have always had a problem with that case even when i was a muslim.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #4 - March 11, 2012, 11:22 AM

Is there any evidence of what happens?  How many become full time carers of severely disabled old men?

Is anyone looking at this as slavery?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #5 - March 11, 2012, 12:30 PM

In a way he is in a form of community slavery. He is not free to make his own choice. 

A very good, neat phrase. Saves a lot of waffling.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »