Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Another new person here

(Read 4494 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Another new person here
     OP - January 25, 2012, 12:38 AM

Hi everyone
    I've been lurking here on the forum and finally decided to join.

I am an atheist of Christian background, however have never honestly believed in it so I'd rather consider myself a lifelong atheist. Sometimes, that makes it very difficult for me to understand the situations that religious people put themselves into and also the way they rationalize and interpret the world around them, their books, science, etc.

I am in a bit of an interesting situation, my girlfriend is a muslim convert, and i am a kaffir atheist, lol! She knows it, and is not blinded by her religion when it comes to people. There is absolutely nothing fundamental about her, and to be honest I think she must be having a lot of serious doubts. I have been investigating religion (especially Islam) for months now and have cracked and discussed it with her as well. I'm not going to reveal too much unecessary information about her here, I don't in any way fear for her safety or anything, but I don't want to ruin her social life on account of my heresy.

Even though lifelong atheist, I have never really bothered much with the religious debate scene until the past few months when it really hit home that my gf was part of this religion that creates such a parallel society. I was intrigued, sometimes even shocked, by the blatant hypocrisy and strange views that I witnessed in the muslim facebook groups she is a part of. So off I went investigating.

Since then I have gone through several phases, the first one being that "at least this religion is not as ridiculous christianity (which has been debunked to death)", the second one being driven by a zealous blind acceptance of anything uttered by anti islamic websites, the third by a more objective approach: using the websites to find things to investigate, but making sure to rely upon the sources themselves and making sure that what is being said is true and not just driven by xenophobia. Currently, I am building up on the third phase and attempting to truly understand the individual behind the religion, looking at them as the person they are understanding the why and the how, all while attempting to remain as objective as possible. Having said all that, I will still call a spade a spade and have not come across communities that have such rampant hypocrisy as the Muslim communities I have witnessed.

Now, if anyone has not died of boredom yet and is still reading this I'll wrap it up by saying I look forward to participating on here, continue getting a better understanding of the individuals and beliefs, hopefully contribute positively in some way or another. And if any of what I say on this forum is offensive, it probably isn't my intention, and if I'm wrong about anything please let me know!

Afro
  • Re: Another new person here
     Reply #1 - January 25, 2012, 12:51 AM

Welcome Walshark. It's an interesting position you are in, with your gf. Has she expressed doubts about religion to you? Good to know you are taking the third approach as that is likely to bring you closer to the lived realities of most muslims and ex-muslims.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #2 - January 25, 2012, 03:23 AM

Welcome to the forum, Walshark.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #3 - January 25, 2012, 03:34 AM

Welcome! Very interesting first post Smiley You sound like you'd fit right in here.

Oh, every newbie gets a parrot that you are required to carry around on your shoulder. So here ya go parrot

Reply #4 - January 25, 2012, 03:42 AM

Welcome!

rampant hypocrisy

Would you expand?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #5 - January 25, 2012, 08:18 AM

You seem like a very intelligent person Walshark. Welcome aboard! Smiley  parrot

Grouchy  what is the  good reason for picking up an innocent girl  as Osama  bin Laden?    

Reply #6 - January 25, 2012, 09:17 AM

hi and welcome...
     Reply #7 - January 25, 2012, 12:22 PM

Welcome and have fun! parrot

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #8 - January 25, 2012, 01:17 PM

Welcome Walshark. It's an interesting position you are in, with your gf. Has she expressed doubts about religion to you? Good to know you are taking the third approach as that is likely to bring you closer to the lived realities of most muslims and ex-muslims.

Well, she doesn't so much directly come to me with doubts but rather sometimes in our discussions I know that she is a bit uncomfortable with some things. Also, I used to ask her a lot of questions that she couldn't come up with answers to. She hasn't prayed at home in over a month or two now, even though in public she still prays if she is in a group with her friends and they all pray.
    Sometimes just when I think she is about to crack I see that she is looking on ebay to buy more abayas, so I don't know! She wears the hijab and abaya because she likes the style and thinks it looks pretty.
    It is kind of a very difficult position for me to be in sometimes, and I'm sure it isn't all too easy for her either. In one way I am very much opposed to all she stands for but I also want her to make her own choices based on her understanding. Which is why I only talk with her, I don't tell her to deconvert or anything like that. I also don't want to absolutely crash her whole (for a lack of better word) fantasy, make her question herself and her identity and most of all feel like an idiot. I've noticed she is much more receptive to short simple discussions rather than when I lose control and give her a khutba of contradictions, logical fallacies, and other such things.

Sorry for the long post.

Welcome! Very interesting first post Smiley You sound like you'd fit right in here.

Oh, every newbie gets a parrot that you are required to carry around on your shoulder. So here ya go parrot

Yay, parrot! thnkyu

Welcome!

Would you expand?

Of course.
    I don't think I need to specify that I don't mean to imply all Muslims are hypocrites or are in any way predisposed being so. I also haven't kept note of everything I observe, so sorry in advance for letting you down if this isn't too interesting!
    Just some few examples:
    Zealously telling non muslims that the hijab is in all possible ways a personal choice; but then in "private" the hijab is mandatory, sisters are interrogated why they don't wear it, husbands getting ridiculed for letting their wife go uncovered, etc..
    Picking and choosing which direct commands to follow; for example you will enver see a Muslim intentionally eat pork, but some will drink, some will gamble, some don't wear hijab. As far as I know, there is no hiearchy of importance of quranic commands inherently found in the Quran.
    Systematically turning to tafsirs, scholars, and hadiths to determine intricacies of daily life. But systematically rejecting and questioning them when the person would rather do something else.
    The absolute and painfully obvious lack of knowledge that most average people hold about their religion. They have all the dawah slogans memorized but anything past that is some strange void filled with random "hadith of the day" culture, and conjecture.
    EDIT:
    These just came to mind after I finished the post:
    Going on a humanitarian tirade when someone used actions of a Muslim or group of Muslims in an argument about Islam, saying how the person isn't defining the religion (we all know the speech so I don't need go to into it) But then, find a Muslim that does something good (even though it may not be based on any Islamic principle)? THAT is Islam, the whole religion becomes defined by the individual, their single act negates any previous ill committed by any Muslim anywhere at any time. Meanwhile, Christianity is demonized on account of pedophile priests, hypocrite politicians.. 
    Also, If a bad hadith or quranic passages (by today's standard) are brought forward, we're supposed to look the other way and instead look at how modern Muslims live their lives (in spite of the Quran)  On the other hand; if we look at what a modern Muslim does (even if in accordance with some of the classical texts) we are told to look the other way and are pointed to the Quran and more specifically, certain verses of the Quran.

hi and welcome...

!! I have watched (as far as I know) all your videos. They are absolutely amazing and have helped me so much to see the humanity in each individual. As well as put a new perspective on the mental and emotional prison many create for themselves while they convince themselves that it is for their own good.

Thank you for all your kind welcomes to everyone that has posted!
     Reply #9 - January 25, 2012, 02:29 PM

I have watched (as far as I know) all your videos. They are absolutely amazing and have helped me so much to see the humanity in each individual. As well as put a new perspective on the mental and emotional prison many create for themselves while they convince themselves that it is for their own good.

thank you so much walshark ..

I've noticed she is much more receptive to short simple discussions rather than when I lose control and give her a khutba of contradictions, logical fallacies, and other such things.

sometimes just posing the right questions, and letting it simmer for a while is all it takes.. i certainly wish the best for both of you.. it sounds like you really care for her, and that will be the most important part of your relationship.
     Reply #10 - January 25, 2012, 02:41 PM

You and her are probably aware of this but a Muslim woman is only allowed to marry a Muslim man and dating isn't even allowed, so I wonder how she is rationalizing this lol.  grin12
     Reply #11 - January 25, 2012, 03:01 PM

Hi Walshark and welcome!

I was a muslim convert, too.  If I can help you in any way, please
    feel free to contact me.  You will find more than enough info on this
    site to help your friend understand exactly what it is she has gotten
    herself into. 

and here.. have a welcome Jinn on me! ghost

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #12 - January 25, 2012, 06:01 PM

thank you so much walshark ..

sometimes just posing the right questions, and letting it simmer for a while is all it takes.. i certainly wish the best for both of you.. it sounds like you really care for her, and that will be the most important part of your relationship.

thanks. I've seen her sometimes somehow end up on atheist themed videos on youtube. Not sure what that means, I'm hoping one day she ends up on yours.

You and her are probably aware of this but a Muslim woman is only allowed to marry a Muslim man and dating isn't even allowed, so I wonder how she is rationalizing this lol.  grin12

Yeah we both know! TBH, I don't know how the inner workings of her mind work and how she is personally rationalizing it, but she doesn't seem bothered by it very much. In fact, she is more bothered by the people that "remind her" of that.. I'll just leave it at that, I don't want to put too much info out there, especially since she doesn't know that I'm posting here!

Hi Walshark and welcome!

I was a muslim convert, too.  If I can help you in any way, please
    feel free to contact me.  You will find more than enough info on this
    site to help your friend understand exactly what it is she has gotten
    herself into.  

and here.. have a welcome Jinn on me! ghost

Thanks! I have already found so much information on this site. It is truly a gem for anyone willing to open their minds. If only, though, there was a one-size-fits-all key to do that job...

Is that an Aladdin Jinn or a "every other mythical/fantasy creature in varied world cultures are actually Jinns!" kind of Jinn? Cheesy
     Reply #13 - January 26, 2012, 02:26 AM

welcome Walshark.....

your girlfriend is happy with such a god who tortures his own creation in hellfire eternally ?
    she knows about marriage of muhammad and ayesha ?
    she knows that how female war captives were raped by muhammad and his companions ?
    she knows that her husband can keep 4 wives + unlimited number of concubines ?
    she knows that when muslims are in power they should wage war against kuffars ?

Disbelief doesn't justify getting tortured in eternal hell
     Reply #14 - January 26, 2012, 02:44 AM

Hi there!  Smiley

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #15 - January 26, 2012, 05:41 AM

Walshark, I think congratulations are in order because it seems rather clear to me that your girlfriend is on her way to apostasy Wink

You sound like a great partner. As others (and yourself) have said, don't put any pressure on her. She is having doubts, and she will come to terms with the feeling of guilt eventually and abandon Islam for good. All you have to do is be there for her and be understanding. That's how it worked for me anyway. Good luck Smiley

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #16 - January 26, 2012, 01:46 PM

an atheist of Christian background,

Protestant or catholic atheist?   parrot

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

Reply #17 - January 26, 2012, 03:28 PM

welcome Walshark.....

your girlfriend is happy with such a god who tortures his own creation in hellfire eternally ?
    she knows about marriage of muhammad and ayesha ?
    she knows that how female war captives were raped by muhammad and his companions ?
    she knows that her husband can keep 4 wives + unlimited number of concubines ?
    she knows that when muslims are in power they should wage war against kuffars ?

1) Haven't really brought up the topic of hellfire with her very much. I don't want to put too much burden on her tbh. I'm sure it will come up eventually, but I can only do so much talkign with her at any one time. Anymore and she doesn't want to hear it anymore, I'm sure most people here can relate to that..
    2) She found out through me. I guess she is reluctant to form any opinion, I haven't pushed that particular issue more than necessary; although I have spoken to her about verse 65.4 a lot and she seems to be starting to look at it in a non dawah apologist perspective now.
    3) Also found that out through me, I think. Pretty much the same answer to #2
    4) She knows that. Unfortunately she let the clever Dawah people get right to her brain, like most other people. Last time we talked about it she didn't see the wrong in it (but that was a few months ago already)
    5) Again she let the dawah get right to her. "chapter 9 is only in a particular context of a particular war" "all that stuff is only in x and y situation" "it is fair warfare done in defense" etc.. etc..

Hi there!  Smiley

Hey! cool2

Walshark, I think congratulations are in order because it seems rather clear to me that your girlfriend is on her way to apostasy Wink

You sound like a great partner. As others (and yourself) have said, don't put any pressure on her. She is having doubts, and she will come to terms with the feeling of guilt eventually and abandon Islam for good. All you have to do is be there for her and be understanding. That's how it worked for me anyway. Good luck Smiley

Thank you. I try my best to be non imposing or anything like that, although we all do get carried away at times. I also do my best to let her know that I'm not forcing her to do anything, I just want to make sure she knows everything from different sides; not just from the dawah of the people who have EVERYTHING to lose if they are incorrect. I also tell her if there's anything she wants to talk about I'm there to talk about it with her. I've become her personal Islamic scholar, lol. And I say that in the least ego-stroking manner that I can, I honestly think I've accumulated more knowledge about the Quran, the Hadith, and Islam in general in a couple month's time than most of her Muslim friends have done in their whole life as Muslims. I also  (jokingly) act as her little mutaween, telling her what she's doing is haram, that her arm should be more covered, that she shouldn't say this or that. It's all in good fun, she doesn't seem to be offended by it and hopefully is putting a perspective on the ridiculousness of Infinite All knowing, All powerful Allah demanding all these minute things from his pathetic creation.
    Sorry for the rant

Protestant or catholic atheist?   parrot

Catholic, but like I said, from a VERY young age I had doubts and didn't believe. I went through my confirmation and communion and everything, but that was more to not cause any family feuds. I haven't come clean to any of my family, although I'm sure some of them have their doubts. But they haven't actually put me in any position where I have to answer antyhing religious, so until that time comes I'm going to avoid any conflict, not that they're ultra religious; but you never know how people react to religion.
    My mother's side of the family, however, somehow embraced protestanism. While starting as not very religious, I have an uncle who is now a minister and my blood aunt became some pentecostal freak-show after marrying her redneck husband. Now they go to those churches where they look like they're all tripping on LSD, rolling on the floor, crying, dancing, and hollering. It makes me sad, more than anything, to think how such good people can be so deluded by these absurdities.
     Reply #18 - January 26, 2012, 04:42 PM

my blood aunt became some pentecostal freak-show after marrying her redneck husband. Now they go to those churches where they look like they're all tripping on LSD, rolling on the floor, crying, dancing, and hollering. It makes me sad, more than anything, to think how such good people can be so deluded by these absurdities.

Do any muslims do that kind of stuff?  It is very easy to learn!  Imagine it!

A.A. Milne,

Reply #19 - January 26, 2012, 05:05 PM

Do any muslims do that kind of stuff?  It is very easy to learn!  Imagine it!

Being lighthearted here, so I hope I don't offend any ex-muslims, but I seriously find some Islamic reactions to be a trip.

Watching youtube videos and reading comments, tons of comments about them being in absolute tears over what some guy is talking about. Asserting how "deep" it is, when I'm just watching like "People buy into this type of __ ? Cheesy "
    Comments on facebook, always in tears after making duas or while makign salat
    In tears over reading some quranic verses.

It's as if Islam attracts those with emotional imbalances, and creates it in those who are born into the faith.

I just don't get it, and whenever I read about them crying or actually see them crying in video, I can't help but think of that "Mullah exposed" video and wonder what is actually behind those tears? Are they 100% sincere, why? Do they convince themselves into reaching this 100% sincerity in crying? Do they kind of "push" it into themselves? I just don't get it, and to me it seems comical.. but I guess it isn't for my place to really pass judgement since I have not been in that position.
     Reply #20 - January 27, 2012, 02:48 AM

Walshark , its ok as you are not putting too much burden on her.......but in case you bring the last two points under discussion and she give you the same "dawah apologetic" reply........you can just give her the links to websites or videos

1) Haven't really brought up the topic of hellfire with her very much. I don't want to put too much burden on her tbh. I'm sure it will come up eventually, but I can only do so much talkign with her at any one time. Anymore and she doesn't want to hear it anymore, I'm sure most people here can relate to that..

this can really lead her to apostasy  Smiley ......Hassan's videos will help

4) She knows that. Unfortunately she let the clever Dawah people get right to her brain, like most other people. Last time we talked about it she didn't see the wrong in it (but that was a few months ago already)

http://alifta.net/Search/ResultDetails.aspx?lang=en&view=result&fatwaNum=&FatwaNumID=&ID=6955&searchScope=7&SearchScopeLevels1=&SearchScopeLevels2=&highLight=1&SearchType=exact&SearchMoesar=false&bookID=&LeftVal=0&RightVal=0&simple=&SearchCriteria=allwords&PagePath=&siteSection=1&searchkeyword=115101120032119105116104032098111110100119111109101110#firstKeyWordFound

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/10382/

5) Again she let the dawah get right to her. "chapter 9 is only in a particular context of a particular war" "all that stuff is only in x and y situation" "it is fair warfare done in defense" etc.. etc..

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/34770/

http://alifta.net/Fatawa/FatawaChapters.aspx?View=Page&PageID=189&PageNo=1&BookID=14

Reply #21 - January 27, 2012, 02:54 AM

btw Walshark , what are your thoughts regarding this "wonderful" religion Islam

Reply #22 - January 27, 2012, 06:28 PM

it's as if Islam attracts those with emotional imbalances, and creates it in those who are born into the faith.

I understand Islam may be understood as a xian puritan sect - none of that rubbish about trinity, no images, washing continually, no drink, gambling or....bacon (?).  (Is the real reason for the bacon ban related to sex?)

Are we looking at the equivalent of xian pentecostalism writ large, as the majority form for a huge chunk of homo allegedly sapiens?

A.A. Milne,

Reply #23 - January 27, 2012, 08:03 PM

Welcome aboard Walshark.  Afro

Was your girlfriend already a convert when you met and started dating her?

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #24 - January 27, 2012, 10:00 PM

btw Walshark , what are your thoughts regarding this "wonderful" religion Islam

Thanks for the links. I've noticed that 95% of the time, the best way of refuting and debunking Islamic arguments and claims is to use the Islamic sources themselves.
    My thoughts on the religion in general? I think it is misunderstood a lot, by both sides of the coin. The non muslims who innocently try to support free speech and "no culture is better than another so do not judge" type of stuff, without bothering to even scratch the surface of what they defend, and also by those who zealously attack it just because it is the "other" and jump on the taqiya and "sharia in US in 3 months!" bandwagon. Many Muslims also seem to misunderstand it, they don't know what is in their own texts and they only accept things from ahigher authority such as a friend or scholar or youtube video, it doesn't seem that they like to form their own opinions without checking with everyone first.
    I think, like most religions, that it does some good and some bad. However it's in a peculiar position than most other religions since it has never had (and don't think ever will be able to) have an institutionalized reform.
    I think it is pretty much a "life for dummies" way of life. Every last detail of everyday life is dictated. I honestly don't see how anyone doesn't see how absolutely ridiculous it is, especially new converts or potential converts trying to investigate it. Sadly, it seems that the whole "life for dummies" aspect is what attracts most people, which is very telling of the sad state of humanity.
    I'm going to stop here before I write too much and no one even reads it!

I understand Islam may be understood as a xian puritan sect - none of that rubbish about trinity, no images, washing continually, no drink, gambling or....bacon (?).  (Is the real reason for the bacon ban related to sex?)

Are we looking at the equivalent of xian pentecostalism writ large, as the majority form for a huge chunk of homo allegedly sapiens?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean TBH. Are you asking if I think Islam in general is similar in nature and practice to some of the more fundamental Christian sects? I really do think so. However there is one fundamental difference that I see between both. In Christianity the emphasis is the belief, the heart, the intention; generally the more "intangible" aspects and afterwards the ritual (if any) follows suit. However in Islam it seems to work the other way around, the emphasis is first on the ritual and other more "tangible" aspects; afterwards the more intangible aspects follow, if at all.

Welcome aboard Walshark.  Afro

Was your girlfriend already a convert when you met and started dating her?

To make a long story short, she was not officially Muslim by taking shahadah until sometime in the end of the 2011 summer. But she had been wearing the hijab, not eating pork, associating herself as Muslim, trying to read from the Quran and such for several years prior. I have always known her as Muslim-ish but she took her shahadah while we have been dating (2 years in April)
     Reply #25 - January 28, 2012, 12:29 AM

Do you feel guilty when eating pork in front of your girlfriend?  grin12
     Reply #26 - January 30, 2012, 04:43 PM

Not at all. She doesn't mind me eating it. I'd be pretty pissed if she told ME what I couldn't eat because of HER religion, lol.
     Reply #27 - March 10, 2012, 05:33 PM

Well, good news and bad news.
    First off the bad news.
    We broke up. I'm not going to bore everyone here and expose all my private business to the public. If anyone really has a burning urge to know, feel free to message me privately. I'll leave this here for anyone currently in a relationship or who may ever be in one in the future. Communicate, communicate communicate. Don't be afraid to ruin the mood by speaking up and letting issues grow uncontrollably until they poison the very core of your mind. Stand your ground, be yourself, don't walk over your partner and don't let your partner walk over you. Admit your faults, don't place blame, move on and please learn from your mistakes.
    Anyway, now the good news (at least in the context of this forum Cheesy)
    She is renouncing Islam. She hasn't really "officially" done it as of yet, if that is even possible? But she is planning on moving away and there she will start a new slate.  What will she be, if anything? I don't know. Will she still cover? I don't know either.
    I hope at least one thing she can take from our relationship is to open her mind, question everything, not take anything at face value, not put full faith in something because of the source, always seek knowledge and never be satisfied with unsatisfactory answers.
    Who knows, one day she might end up on this forum.
     Reply #28 - March 12, 2012, 11:22 PM

Welcome ! Have a parrot  parrot

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #29 - March 13, 2012, 06:40 PM

From the tone of your message, I guess even though you broke up, you  are still in good terms, which is still a good thing Smiley.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »