Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Freely down loadable Books on Pro-Islam and anti Islam..

(Read 141965 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 7 8 910 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Freely down loadable Books on Pro-Islam and anti Islam..
     Reply #240 - April 05, 2020, 10:05 PM

The Didascalia apostolorum in English
    by Gibson, Margaret Dunlop Smith

That old booklet is worth reading

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #241 - April 17, 2020, 08:37 PM

THE MUQADDIMAH Abd Ar Rahman bin Muhammed ibn Khaldun . translated by Franz Rosenthal

Muqaddimah of Ibn Khaldun is a book written by the Arab historian Ibn Khaldun in 1377 which records an early view of universal history. Some modern thinkers view it as the first work dealing with the social sciences of sociology. Ibn Khaldun wrote the work in 1377 as the introduction chapter and the first book of his planned work of world history, the Kitābu l-ʻibar ("Book of Lessons"; full title: Kitābu l-ʻibari wa Dīwāni l-Mubtada' wal-Ḥabar fī ayāmi l-ʻarab wal-ʿajam wal-barbar, waman ʻĀsarahum min Dhawī sh-Shalṭāni l-Akbār, i.e.: "Book of Lessons, Record of Beginnings and Events in the history of the Arabs and Foreigners and Berbers and their Powerful Contemporaries"), but already in his lifetime it became regarded as an independent work on its own.

Arab and Persian civilizations
    Ibn Khaldun makes a clear distinction between two types of Arab people: those who are of ethnic Arab descent, and ethnically non-Arab populations who are Arab by language. He never refers to that final group as being Arabs, and instead refers to them by their ethnicity or places of origin (i.e. 'Persians' or 'the inhabitants of Egypt')

well that link contains some 1200 pages pdf file .. read it to learn about Muhammed ibn Khaldun  the 13th century historian works..

Reply #242 - April 24, 2020, 10:39 AM

IbnAbd-el-Hakem's History of the Conquest of Spain

.......................The M Islamic  expansion continued throughout the sixth and into the seventh century. In 711 the Berber Tarik invaded and rapidly conquered Visigothic Spain. Famously by 733 the Muslims reached Poitiers in France. There a battle, more significant to westerners than Muslims, halted the Muslim advance. In truth by that stage Islam was at its limits of military expansion.

Tarik gave his name to "Jabal (mount of) Tarik" or, as we say, Gibraltar. In 712 Tarik's lord, Musa ibn-Mosseyr, joined the attack. Within seven years the conquest of the peninsula was complete. It became one of the centers of Moslem civilization, and the Umayyad caliphate of Cordova reached a peak of glory in the tenth century. Spain, called "al-Andulus" by Muslims remained was at least partially under Muslim control until 1492 when Granada was conquered by Ferdinand and Isabella.

Musa Ibn Nosseyr sent his son Merwan to Tangiers, to wage a holy war upon her coast. Having, then, exerted himself together with his friends, he returned, leaving to Tarik Ibn Amru the command of his army which amounted to 1,700. Others say that 12,000 Berbers besides 16 Arabs were with Tarik: but that is false. It is also said that Musa Ibn Nosseyr marched out of Ifrikiya [Africa] upon an expedition into Tangiers, and that he was the first governor who entered Tangiers, where parts of the Berber tribes Botr and Beranes resided. These bad not vet submitted themselves. When he approached Tangiers, be scattered his light troops.

On the arrival of his cavalry in the nearest province of Sus, he subdued its inhabitants, and made them prisoners, they yielding him obedience. And he gave them a governor whose conduct was agreeable to them. He sent Ibn Beshr Ibn Abi Artah to a citadel, three days' journey from the town of Cairwan. Having taken the former, he made prisoners of the children, and plundered the treasury. The citadel was called Beshr, by which name it is known to this day. Afterwards Musa deposed the viceroy whom be bad placed over Tangiers, and appointed Tarik Ibn Zeiyad governor. He, then, returned to Cairwan, Tarik with his female slave of the name Umm-Hakim setting out for Tangiers. Tarik remained some time in this district, waging a holy war.

This was in the year 92. The governor of the straits between this district and Andalus was a foreigner called Ilyan, Lord of Septa. He was also the governor of a town called Alchadra, situated on the same side of the straits of Andalus as Tangiers. Ilyan was a subject of Roderic, the Lord of Andalus [i.e. king of Spain], who used to reside in Toledo. Tarik put himself in communication with Ilyan, and treated him kindly, until they made peace with each other. Ilyan had sent one of his daughters to Roderic, the Lord of Andalus, for her improvement and education; but she became pregnant by him. Ilyan having heard of this, said, I see for him no other punishment or recompense, than that I should bring the Arabs against him. He sent to Tarik, saying, I will bring thee to Andalus; Tarik being at that time in Tlemsen, and Musa Ibn Nossevr in Cairwan. But Tarik said I cannot trust thee until thou send me a hostage. So be sent his two daughters, having no other children. Tarik allowed them to remain in Tlemsen, guarding them closely. After that Tarik went to Ilyan who - was in Septa on the straits. The latter rejoicing at his coming, said, I will bring thee to Andalus. But there was a mountain called the mountain of Tarik between the two landing places, that is, between Septa and Andalus. When the evening came, Ilyan brought him the vessels, in which he made him embark for that landing-place, where he concealed himself during the day, and in the evening sent back the vessels to bring over the rest of his companions. So they embarked for the landing-place, none of them being left behind: whereas the people of Andalus did not observe them, thinking that the vessels crossing and recrossing were similar to the trading vessels which for their benefit plied backwards and forwards. Tarik was in the last division which went across. He proceeded to his companions, Ilyan together with the merchants that were with him being left behind in Alchadra, in order that be might the better encourage his companions and countrymen. The news of Tarik and of those who were with him, as well as of the place where they were, reached the people of Andalus. Tarik, going along with his companions, marched over a bridge of mountains to a town called Cartagena. He went in the direction of Cordova. Having passed by an island in the sea, he left behind his female slave of the name of Umm-Hakim, and with her a division of his troops. That island was then called Umm-Hakim. When the Moslems settled in the island, they found no other inhabitants there, than vinedressers. They made them prisoners. After that they took one of the vinedressers, slaughtered him, cut him in pieces, and boiled him, while the rest of his companions looked on. They had also boiled meat in other cauldrons. When the meat was cooked, they threw away the flesh of that man which they had boiled; no one knowing that it was thrown away: and they ate the meat which theh had boiled, while the rest of the vinedressers were spectators. These did not doubt but that the Moslems ate the flesh of their companion; the rest being afterwards sent away informed the people of Andalus that the Moslems feed on human flesh, acquainting them with what had been done to the vinedresser.

As Abd-Errahman has related to us on the authority of his father Abd-Allah lbn Abd-El-Hakem, and of Hisham Ibn Ishaak: There was a house in Andalus, the door of which was secured with padlocks, and on which every new king of the country placed a padlock of his own, until the accession to power of the king against whom the Moslems marched. They therefore begged him to place a padlock on it, as the kings before him were wont to do. But he refused saying, I will place nothing on it, until I shall have known what is inside; he then ordered it to be opened; but behold inside were portraits of the Arabs, and a letter in which it was written: "When this door shall be opened, these people will invade this country."

When Tarik landed, soldiers from Cordova came to meet him; and seeing the small number of his companions they despised him on that account. They then fought. The battle with Tarik was severe. They were routed, and he did not cease from the slaughter of them till they reached the town of Cordova. When Roderic heard of this, he came to their rescue from Toledo. They then fought in a place of the name of Shedunia, in a valley which is called this day the valley of Umm-Hakim [on July 11, 711, at the mouth of the Barbate river].
    They fought a severe battle; but God, mighty and great, killed Roderic and his companions. Mugheyth Errumi, a slave of Welid, was then the commander of Tarik's cavalry. Mugheyth Errumi went in the direction of Cordova, Tarik passing over to Toledo. He, then, entered it, and asked for the table, having nothing else to occupy himself. This, as the men of the Bible relate, was the table of Suleyman Ibn Dawid, may the blessing of God be upon him.

As Abd Errahman has related to us on the authority of Yahva Ibn Bukeir, and the latter on the authority of Leyth Ibn Sad: Andalus having been conquered for Musa Ibn Nosseyr, he took from it the table of Suleyman Ibn Dawid, and the crown. Tarik was told that the table - was in a citadel called Faras, two days' journey from Toledo, and the governor of this citadel was a nephew of Roderic. Tarik, then, wrote to him, promising safetv both for himself and family. The nephew descended from the citadel, and Tarik fulfilled his promise with reference to his safety. Tarik said to him, deliver the table, and he delivered it to him. On this table were gold and silver, the like of which one bad not seen. Tarik, then, took off one of its legs together with the pearls and the gold it contained, and fixed to it a similar leg. The table was valued at two hundred thousand dinars, on account of the pearls that were on it. He took up the pearls, the armour, the gold, the silver, and the vases which he had with him, and found that quantity of spoils, the like of which one had not seen. He collected all that. Afterwards he returned to Cordova, and having stopped there, he wrote to Musa Ibn Nossevr informing him of the conquest of Andalus, and of the spoils which he had found. Musa then wrote to Welid Abd Ed-Malik' informing him of that, and throwing himself upon his mercy. Musa wrote to Tarik ordering him not to leave Cordova until he should come to him. And he reprimanded him very severely. Afterwards Musa Ibn Nosseyr set out for Andalus, in Rajab of the year 93, taking with him the chiefs of the Arabs, the commanders, and the leaders of the Berbers to Andalus. He set out being angry with Tarik, and took with him Habib Ibn Abi Ubeida Elfihri, and left the government of Cairwan to his son Abd Allah who was his eldest son. He then passed through Alchadra, and afterwards went over to Cordova. Tarik then met him, and tried to satisfv him, saving: "I am merely thy slave, this conquest is thine." Musa collected of the monev a sum, which exceeded all description. Tarik delivered to him all that he had plundered.

note: The selection above is from the History of the Conquest of Spain by the Egyptian Ibn Abd-el-Hakem (d. 870 or 871 ), who also wrote a history of Egypt. He mixes myths and fact in his account, which was written a century and a half after the events it describes.

From Ibn Abd-el-Hakem, History of the Conqziest of Spain, trans. by John Harris Jones (Gottingen, W. Fr. Kaestner, 1858), pp. 18-22

That book must be one of earliest book on Islam after Quran,,,  It is worth reading

Abu'l Qāsim ʿAbd ar-Raḥman bin ʿAbdullah bin ʿAbd al-Ḥakam simply as Ibn ʿAbd al-Ḥakam    was a historian born in Fustat Egypt who wrote a work generally known as " The Conquest of Egypt and North Africa and Spain (Andalusia) " (Arabic: فتح مصر و المغرب و الاندلس‎, Futūḥ mișr wa'l maghrab wa'l andalus). This work is considered one of the earliest Arabic Islamic histories to have survived to the present day.[/i]  He was born in  187 A.H/ 803 A.D- died 257 A.H/ 871 A.D at al-Fustat near Cairo.  His work generally known as " The Conquest of Egypt and North Africa and Spain (Andalusia) " (Arabic: فتح مصر و المغرب و الاندلس‎, Futūḥ mișr wa'l maghrab wa'l andalus). This work is considered one of the earliest Arabic Islamic histories to have survived to the present day.

Works
    Four manuscripts survive of the author's historical work, all of them considered to derive from a single copy originally perhaps made by one of his students.[4] Two of these are titled simply Futūḥ mișr (Arabic: فتح مصر‎, Conquest of Egypt), one is titled Futūḥ mișr wa akhbārahā (Arabic: فتح مصر و أخبارها‎, Conquest of Egypt and some account of it, i.e. of the country), and one has the fuller title given at the head of this article.[5]

A critical edition of the entire Arabic text was published by Charles Torrey, who had earlier translated the North African section into English. A short portion of the work covering only the Muslim conquest of Spain was translated into English by John Harris Jones (Göttingen, W. Fr. Kaestner, 1858, pp. 18–22). The Spanish and North African sections have also been translated into French and Spanish by a number of historians. However, these account for only a small part of the book. Most of the work is devoted to the legendary pre-Islamic history of Egypt, The Muslim conquest of Egypt, The Muslim conquest of North Africa, its early Muslim settlements and its first Islamic judges.

His work is an almost invaluable source as arguably the earliest Arab account of the Islamic conquests of the countries it deals with. However, it was written some 200 years after the events it describes, and therefore largely mixes facts with later legends

Reply #243 - May 16, 2020, 10:26 PM

That Jpeg pic is embedded pdf file of a book " Language between God and the Poets., Maʿnā in the Eleventh Century"   by Alexander Key

Reply #244 - July 30, 2020, 12:41 PM

Reply #245 - July 31, 2020, 02:27 PM

By Julius Wellhausen 1927

Julius Wellhausen (17 May 1844 – 7 January 1918) was a German biblical scholar and orientalist. In the course of his career, he moved from Old Testament research through Islamic studies to New Testament scholarship. Wellhausen contributed to the composition history of the Pentateuch/Torah and studied the formative period of Islam. For the former, he is credited as one of the originators of the documentary hypothesis.. Among theologians and biblical scholars, he is best known for his book, Prolegomena zur Geschichte Israels (Prolegomena to the History of Israel). After a detailed synthesis of existing views on the origins of the first five books of the Old Testament, Wellhausen's contribution was to place the development of these books into a historical and social context. The resulting argument, called the documentary hypothesis, became the dominant model for many biblical scholars and remained so for most of the 20th century. In the realm of Arabic studies, Wellhausen's greatest achievement remains The Arab Kingdom And Its Fall.

Clcik the picture to download the book., well he starts with traditional story as usual..  and wrote some 600 pages

The political community of Islam grew  out of the religious community. Muhammad's  conversion and his call to be an apostle took  place about the same time. He began with  himself ; he was, to begin with, possessed with  the certainty of the all-powerful God and of the  last judgment, but the conviction that filled his  own heart was so great that it forced its way  out. He felt bound to show the light and the  way to the brethren who were groping in dark- ness, and thereby save them from error.  Straightway he founded a little congregation at Mecca.

same story..

Reply #246 - August 03, 2020, 01:45 PM

THE ENVOYS OF THE HIDDEN IMAM: RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS AND THE POLITICS OF THE TWELVER OCCULTATION DOCTRINE

that is pdf file of 600 pages  ... A DISSERTATION SUBMITTED TO THE FACULTY OF THE DIVISION OF THE HUMANITIES IN CANDIDACY FOR THE DEGREE OF  DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY  by BY EDMUND HAYES  in 2015 at  THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO...

he starts his thesis with this statement

Abū ʿAbd Allāh [al-Ṣādiq] said:
    If wealth remains in the hands of those who know how to use it righteously, and do good deeds with it, then it is to the continuation of the Muslims and of Islam. But it is to the destruction of Islam and the Muslims.if wealth falls into the hands of those who do not know how to use it righteously, and do not do good deeds with it.

– Kulayni, Kāfī

Interesting statement ..  well that is true .. whether it is religious person or non-religious person....

Reply #247 - August 14, 2020, 05:48 PM

The Qur'an and the Aramaic Gospel Traditions (Routledge Studies in the Qur'an)
    by Emran El-Badawi (2013-12-19)

........El-Badawi makes a valid case proving the influence of the Aramaic gospels in the Qur'an. But at times one has the feeling he seems to imply that the Qur'an is 'the gospel according to Mohamed', which it is not. Badawi ignores the Jewish element in the Qur'an considerably.

According to Simon Schama "Himyarite-Arabic Judaism may have been, in a deep sense, the direct parent of Islam, for it makes no sense historically to classify Muhammad’s core doctrines as anything but essentially Judaic – evident in the indivisibility of the one unseen omnipotent God (referred to in Himyarite and Arabian Judaism, after all, as ‘rahman, the all-merciful and compassionate who art in heaven and earth’); the coming of the Last Days (a central belief of the Qumran community); the hatred of idolatry; the righteous commandment of charity (sadaaqa in Arabic, tzedaka in Hebrew); the strict prohibition not only against pork but also against consuming meat with its living blood still in the flesh; the insistence on ritual washing and purification, especially before prayer ... were all standard Jewish practice".
    So are we getting here a Muslim scripture based on Christianity and Muslim ritual based on Judaism?

Also I would like to know when the author refers to the Diatessaron, given the original is lost, is he referring to the extant Arabic translation or what? And does the Arabic translation of the Diatessaron have any echos in the Qur'an given the original was in Aramaic?

that review of that book is written by Nazim Sattar well download and read it 

Reply #248 - August 16, 2020, 11:52 PM

well let me add a post on journals around the globe that deals with publications on Islam and Islamic history in modern times since 20th century

1)..   Journal of Quranic studies  starting from Issue-1  n April 1999

Reply #249 - August 17, 2020, 02:54 PM

Coherence in the Qur’an: A Study of Islahi’s Concept of Naz in Tadabbur-i Qur’an.pdf
    by Prof. Mustansir Mir
    University Professor of Islamic Studies
    Director, Center for Islamic Studies
    Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies

421 DeBartolo Hall
    Youngstown State University
    Youngstown, OH 44555-3448
    Office Phone: (330) 941-1625
    E-mail: mmir@ysu.edu

interesting view on selectively quoting Quran verses for their respective individual needs...

Reply #250 - August 18, 2020, 12:11 PM

]Documents and the History of the Early Islamic World Edited by Alexander T. Schubert ., Petra M. Sijpesteijn  .. PDF file of the book..

some of the publication in that book that appears to be important are

Greek and Arabic in Nessana by Rachel Stroumsa

A Qurānic Amulet on Papyrus:   by Matt Malczycki

Terms for Vessels in Arabic and Coptic Documentary Texts and Their Archaeological and Ethnographic Correlates  by  Tasha Vorderstrasse

Reply #251 - September 24, 2020, 08:01 AM

Consorts of the Caliphs Women and the Court of Baghdad by Ibn al-Sāʿī
    Edited by Shawkat M. Toorawa
    Translated by The Editors of the Library of
    Arabic Literature
    Introduction by Julia Bray
    Foreword by Marina Warner
    Volume editor Julia Bray

good book to read.. click the pic and download a pdf file

Reply #252 - October 08, 2020, 03:05 PM

Jonathan AC Brown is Associate Professor of Islam and Muslim Christian Relations in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University (Washington DC), where he teaches classes on Islamic civilization, Shariah law and Islamic intellectual history. He received his BA in History from Georgetown in 2000 and his doctorate in Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations from the University of Chicago in 2006. He has studied and conducted research in Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Bosnia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, South Africa, India, Indonesia and Iran.

As his mother predicted, he has won no awards. But he has published some books, including The Canonization of al-Bukhari and Muslim: The Formation and Function of the Sunni Hadith Canon (Brill, 2007), Hadith: Muhammad's Legacy in the Medieval and Modern World (Oneworld, 2009), Muhammad: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press, 2011) and Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenges and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet's Legacy (Oneworld, 2014).

well click the book picture download it and read it..

Reply #253 - October 08, 2020, 07:13 PM

Jonathan A.C. Brown converted from Christianity to Islam when he was 20. I'm sure it's a fascinating read!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_A.C._Brown#Background_and_education

He has a Youtube channel, which I occasionally watch. One day his little boy (maybe 5 years old) was in the office, and that was ...interesting... an American little boy whose mannerisms looked distinctly middle-eastern -- like those little kids being indoctrinated on how to kill infidels.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for providing all these books.
     Reply #254 - October 20, 2020, 09:36 AM

GOD

God is the Creator of the Heavens and Earth. He is the Supreme Being, the Originator of all Things, the Compassionate, the Merciful. He is God, besides whom there is no other god. God is the Forgiving, the Almighty.

Quran

The Quran is the Word of God, revealed to the Prophet Muhammad, for the benefit of the Human Being. The Quran contains guidance, mercy, healing. The Quran is beyond doubt from the Lord of the Universe.

ClearQuran

ClearQuran translation is clear, pure, and easy to understand. The meaning is highly accurate, the sentence structure is simple, the flow is smooth. The translation has no interpretations, no explanations, and no footnotes. It is purely a translation, from the Arabic language, to contemporary English.

that is what the Author says .,

and the author is Talal Itani is an electronics engineer, software developer, and writer. He was born in 1961, in Beirut Lebanon. He immigrated to the United States when he was 18, seeking education and peace. In 1983, he graduated with a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering. After a few years of employment, he founded a research and development company, which quickly became successful and renowned in the field of telecommunications.

Talal first encountered the Holy Quran in 1992. He studied and researched the Quran for 15 years, then decided to translate it himself, into clear and easy-to-read modern English. The translation, which he published in 2012, is praised as pure, clear, and highly faithful to the Arabic Original. Talal currently develops software and maintains ClearQuran translation. He lives in the United States, is married, and has two adult daughters.

My Life Story

I was born in 1961, in Lebanon, and was raised in a Muslim family. I came to the United States at age 18, seeking peace and education. I graduated in 1983 with a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering. After a few years of employment, I started a research and development company, which quickly became renowned and successful in the field of telecommunications.

My life was very secular, and my home was very secular. I married in the United States, and I had one daughter. Everything in my life went very smoothly and very well, until I suddenly felt bored with everything. What I had strived for was not satisfying. I felt lost and disappointed. As a result, I started reading books outside the field of Electronics, hoping to find fulfillment, hoping to find my purpose in life.

Somehow, the Quran landed in my lap, in the form of cassette tapes. I would listen to the Quran while driving the short distance to work. Soon after, I noticed that I was lengthening the drive, in order to give myself more listening time.

The Quran was not what I was expecting. I was expecting tribal warfare and family feuds. Before that, I was very ignorant of what the Quran contains. The Quran surprised me. The Quran more than surprised me. The Quran stunned me.

Later I acquired a printed copy of the Quran, but unfortunately, I understood very little. Therefore, I bought an Arabic to English dictionary, and started looking up words, hundreds of words. Then I bought a pocket cassette player, and started listing while at home, and while walking.

I was so eager to understand, to know, to learn. The Quran gave me so much, and I wanted more. It gave me purpose, and satisfaction, and fulfillment, and strength, and clarity. It revolutionized my inner-self, and soon after it revolutionized my entire life.

Then I bought the translation to English, and spent hours, and days, and months, studying it, and linking the Arabic text to the English text.

I naturally felt the need to convey the Quran to others, especially to the people around me. After giving a few copies to others, I realized that the best way for me to convey the Quran, was to put it in my mind, and then speak it to others, and act it to others, and write it to others. That only fueled my need to learn more.

By that time, I had the Quran in all sizes and shapes, and every English translation.

I would have email discussions with people of other faiths, especially religious people of other faiths. I would convey the concepts I found in the Quran, in my own words. I would quote for them from the English translations. Soon after, I saw myself translating, before quoting.

I wanted Islam to be my full time profession, but I realized it would not be possible. I wanted to go to Islam school, but I realized it would not be possible. My desire to learn overcame the obstacles. I taught myself.

I always searched for a clear, easy to read, and accurate English translation of the Quran. A translation that says exactly what the Arabic says, with the same clarity, yet in the English language. Unfortunately, maybe fortunately, the English translations did not satisfy me. Every translation had strengths and weaknesses. Some are hard to read. Some use Biblical English. Some are thin in meaning. Some have the translators personal words inserted in them.

I dreamed about translating the Quran for many years. The translation I wanted would be clear, easy to read, in modern English, and closely follows the Arabic text. Soon my dream became a goal.

It took me four years behind my laptop. I would wake up at 4 AM, every day, and work on the translation. I would translate, and re-translate, until I was completely satisfied. Everything was very important: sentence structure, choice of words, flow, punctuation, accuracy, clarity, ease of use, closeness to the Arabic.

The new translation should be good for a scholar to read, and good for a prison inmate to read. Most importantly, it should be good for my 19-year-old daughter to read.

Sometimes I wonder if I translated the Quran only so that my family members would read the Quran.

I worked on my own. My wife provided a calm and serene home.

I published it on May of 2012 at (ClearQuran.com). Since then millions of individuals have visited the website and benefited from the translation. I am happy to say that I receive only positive feedback.

I chose not to copyright the translation, but to provide it under the Creative Commons License.

Currently I spend my days developing software, studying the Quran, and conveying the Quran to others. I also published multiple other Quran websites and apps.

I would like to take this opportunity to quote SURA 81, At-Takwir (The Rolling)

In the name of God, the Gracious, the Merciful.

1. When the sun is rolled up.
    2. When the stars are dimmed.
    3. When the mountains are set in motion.
    4. When the relationships are suspended.
    5. When the beasts are gathered.
    6. When the oceans are set aflame.
    7. When the souls are paired.
    8. When the girl, buried alive, is asked:
    9. For what crime was she killed?
    10. When the records are made public.
    11. When the sky is peeled away.
    12. When the Fire is set ablaze.
    13. When Paradise is brought near.
    14. Each soul will know what it has readied.

15. I swear by the galaxies.
    16. Precisely running their courses.
    17. And by the night as it recedes.
    18. And by the morn as it breathes.
    19. This is the speech of a noble messenger.
    20. Endowed with power, eminent with the Lord of the Throne.
    21. Obeyed and honest.
    22. Your friend is not possessed.
    23. He saw him on the luminous horizon.
    24. And He does not withhold knowledge of the Unseen.
    25. And it is not the word of an accursed devil.
    26. So where are you heading?

27. It is only a Reminder to all mankind.
    28. To whoever of you wills to go straight.
    29. But you cannot will, unless God wills—The Lord of the Worlds

Yes surah-81  is a good one.. we can make good songs good sonnets.. good poems out of it...  and we have plenty of songs.. sonnets and poems in every language ..

well you can download his Quran translation   by clicking the picture of that Quran  from Talal Itani  The electronics engineer,.... and he thinks he is the best translator of Quran
    and   The new translation should be good for a scholar to read, and good for a prison inmate to read. Most importantly, it should be good for my 19-year-old daughter to read. ..

....  that is what he says   .............    great I guess other translations are NOT good for daughters and prison inmates., otherwise why say those words ?? anyways let me scan through his translation

Reply #255 - October 20, 2020, 12:16 PM

"The Miraculous Language of the Quran: Evidence of Divine Origin" by  Dr. Bassam Saeh

dr. Bassam Saeh is a great guy.. great poet of Arabic language .. but.. but... oh well let me read his book and watch bit of what he says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-ED_3CJe0

well that booklet is just 100 pages.. let me see what miracle does he get of Arabic language ..  well when life is a miracle then every sound .. every language from living life  is indeed a miracle

Reply #256 - November 16, 2020, 11:48 AM

Yehuda D. Nevo – A Comprehensive Skeptical Theory on the Genesis of Islam. pdf by  Marcin  Grodzki 

THE QUR’AN IN ITS HISTORICAL CONTEXT.pdf by edited by Gabriel Said Reynolds .. 2008

CHRISTIAN-MUSLIM SYMBOLISM ON COINS OF THE EARLY ARAB EMPIRE (7 – 8th century CE) AN ATTEMPT AT A NEW APPROACH.pdf by Marcin  Grodzki 

An Alternative Insight into the First Centuries of Islam on the Iberian Peninsula – Problems of Historiographic Sources Concerning the Early Islamic History of Al-Andalus  by Marcin Grodzki,

Bad information drives out good

Our universities were created to make sure that society receives information that is up to date. In other words, they investigate things and educate future researchers in order to keep society as informed as possible. Until the mid-1990s, the relation between university and society could be described with the “sender-receiver model”, in which the university was some kind of radio transmitting information, which others received.

The rise of the internet has changed this. In the first place because it allows people to select whatever information they like, and in the second place because they can talk back. This might be called the “debate model”. An example is Wikipedia, where activists can change articles to make them suit their own agendas. Or, if activists create a lot of noise, they can silence the voice of reasonable scholars. Communication of scientific and scholarly information has become a debate, and occasionally a shouting match.

In the perfect situation, a bona fide scholar and an activist will both refer to their sources, and can establish what is correct – or comes closest to being correct. Unfortunately, there is no level playing field. After all, bona fide scholarly articles are locked up in pay sites, so in an online debate, the bona fide scholar cannot refer to them. He fights with his arms tied. ....

An important lesson about online information is that as long as there is no free access, bad information drives out good. To some fields of research, like the study of Achaemenid Persia, the damage has already been done

that is a good one., indeed bad information can  overload drive away rational logical information.,  ...   in fact it is doing it on internet.,    all that is from Jona Lendering

Reply #257 - January 03, 2021, 06:31 AM

From Hellenism to Islam: Cultural and Linguistic Change in the Roman Near East .PDF]

good book..  good book to read ... many good publications in it

Introduction: documentary evidence, social realities
    and the history of language 1  by Fergus Millar

1 the language of power: latin in the roman near east

1 The presence, role and signifi cance of Latin in the
    epigraphy and culture of the Roman Near East 15
    Werner Eck

2 Latin in cities of the Roman Near East 43
    Benjamin Isaac

ii social and legal institutions as reflected in the
    documentary evidence 73

3 Euergetism in Josephus and the epigraphic culture of
    fi rst-century Jerusalem 75
    Seth Schwartz

4 Legal and social status of threptoi and related categories
    in narrative and documentary sources 93
    Marijana Ricl

5 Ritual performances of divine justice: the epigraphy
    of confession, atonement, and exaltation in Roman
    Asia Minor 115
    Angelos Chaniotis

6 Continuity of Nabataean law in the Petra papyri:
    a methodological exercise 154
    Hannah M. Cotton

iii the epigraphic language of religion 175
    7 ‘Languages’ and religion in second- to fourth-century
    Palestine: in search of the impact of Rome 177
    Nicole Belayche

8 Th e epigraphic habit and the Jewish diasporas of
    Asia Minor and Syria 203
    Walter Ameling

9 Religion and language in Dura-Europos 235
    Ted Kaizer

iv linguistic metamorphoses and continuity of cultures 255
    10 On the margins of culture: the practice of transcription
    in the ancient world 257
    Jonathan J. Price and Shlomo Naeh

11 Edessene Syriac inscriptions in late antique Syria 289
    Sebastian Brock

12 Samaritan writing and writings 303
    Dan Barag

13 The Jewish magical tradition from late antique
    Palestine to the Cairo Genizah 324
    Gideon Bohak

v greek into arabic 343
    14 Th e Nabataean connection of the Benei H·ezir 345
    Ernst Axel Knauf

vi contents
    15 Greek inscriptions in transition from the Byzantine to
    the early Islamic period 352
    Leah Di Segni

16 Arab kings, Arab tribes and the beginnings of Arab
    historical memory in late Roman epigraphy
    Robert G. Hoyland

17 Greek, Coptic and the ‘language of the Hijra’:
    the rise and decline of the Coptic language in
    late antique and medieval Egypt 401
    Tonio Sebastian Richter

18 ‘What remains behind’: Hellenism and Romanitas in
    Christian Egypt after the Arab conquest 447
    Arietta Papaconstantinou

well let me read some from that pdf link

Reply #258 - January 03, 2021, 09:49 AM

From Hellenism to Islam: Cultural and Linguistic Change in the Roman Near East .PDF]

good book..  good book to read ... many good publications in it

Thanks for that, yeez.
     Reply #259 - January 05, 2021, 07:53 AM

SUFI COMMENTARIES ON THE QUR1AN IN CLASSICAL ISLAM  by Kristin Zahra Sands

Interesting book on Quran Tafsir from sufi point of view .,   Kristin Zahra Sands is a Mellon Fellow and Assistant Professor of Islamic Studies at Sarah Lawrence College. Her research interests include Sufism, Qur1anic exegesis, and Islam and media..

dr, Kristin Zahra Sands other publications

well you can download the book and read it

Reply #260 - January 07, 2021, 03:21 AM

well some one sent me this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfo_Npbe1jk

What are the views of the Arthur john Arberry a non-muslim scholar and an author, about the Holy Quran, who translated the Holy Quran into English language, by shiekh Ahmed deedat

so I want to know and read more about Arthur john Arberry., and understand his works ..

Reply #261 - February 17, 2021, 06:51 PM

Arabs and Iranians in the Islamic Conquest Narrative analyzes how early Muslim historians merged the pre-Islamic histories of the Arab and Iranian peoples into a didactic narrative culminating with the Arab conquest of Iran.

This book provides an in-depth examination of Islamic historical accounts of the encounters between representatives of these two peoples that took place in the centuries prior to the coming of Islam. By doing this, it uncovers anachronistic projections of dynamic identity and political discourses within the contemporaneous Islamic world. It shows how the formulaic placement of such embellishment within the context of the narrative served to justify the Arabs’ rise to power, whilst also explaining the fall of the Iranian Sasanian empire. The objective of this book is not simply to mine Islamic historical chronicles for the factual data they contain about the pre-Islamic period, but rather to understand how the authors of these works thought about this era.

By investigating the intersection between early Islamic memory, identity construction, and power discourses, this book will benefit researchers and students of Islamic history and literature and Middle Eastern Studies.

Nathaniel Miller - Seasonal Poetics: The Dry Season and Autumn Rains among Pre-Islamic Najdi and Hijazi Tribes

Reply #262 - February 19, 2021, 11:16 PM

well let me add that zeca post publication of  Philip Wood  here along with another publication on Arabian peninsula

1). Christianity in the Arabian Peninsula. Philip Wood   Pdf file

2). THE TRIBAL KINGS IN PRE-ISLAMIC ARABIA A STUDY OF THE EPITHET MALIK OR DHÜ AL-TÂJ m EARLY ARABIC TRADITIONS. Pdf
     by KHALIL 'ATHAMINA

Reply #263 - February 21, 2021, 04:54 PM

Elizabeth Urban - Conquered Populations in Early Islam: Non-Arabs, Slaves and the Sons of Slave Mothers

https://library.oapen.org/handle/20.500.12657/44136
    This book traces the journey of new Muslims as they joined the early Islamic community and articulated their identities within it. It focuses on Muslims of slave origins, who belonged to the society in which they lived but whose slave background rendered them somehow alien. How did these Muslims at the crossroads of insider and outsider find their place in early Islamic society? How did Islamic society itself change to accommodate these new members? By analysing how these liminal Muslims resolved the tension between belonging and otherness, Conquered Populations in Early Islam reveals the shifting boundaries of the early Islamic community and celebrates the dynamism of Islamic history.

Several  works  of  revisionist  scholarship  have  informed  the  underlying  assumptions  of  this  monograph.  First,  following  scholars  such  as  Fred  Donner and Aziz Al-Azmeh, I view the Quran itself as an authentic source from the first/seventh century, and I attempt to reconstruct it as a ‘polyvalent communicative act’ between Muhammad and his followers.5 I take it as axiomatic that these first decades of Islamic history were not an ossified golden age, but a period of dynamism, creativity and adaptability. I heed Al-Azmeh’s call to analyse ‘Paleo-Islam’ on its own terms, rather than ‘looking backwards’ at this period from the viewpoint of the Classical Islamic tradition elaborated in the second to fourth/eighth to tenth centuries in imperial centres such as Damascus and Baghdad.6 I also accept Donner’s thesis that the earliest adherents  of  Muhammad’s  message  did  not  call  themselves  ‘Muslims’  or  think  of  themselves  as  constituting  an  entirely  new  religion;  rather,  they  called  themselves ‘Believers’ and represented an ecumenical reform movement that could include all kinds of righteous, pious monotheists. In addition, I accept Peter Webb’s recent thesis that the earliest Believers did not view themselves as ‘Arabs’, but rather the notion of ‘Arabs’ as an elite class of Muslim conquerors only emerged in the Umayyad period.7 The first three chapters of this book contribute to this field of Islamic Origins, using the text of the Quran and close analysis of later literary sources to understand how enslaved persons belonged to the nascent Believers’ Movement in the Hijaz.

Reply #264 - February 26, 2021, 05:28 PM

The Development of Arabic as a Written Language.pdf
    Papers from the Special Session of the Seminar for Arabian Studies held on 24 July, 2009
    edited by M.C.A. Macdonald

Reflections on the linguistic map of pre-Islamic Arabia.pdf  by M. C. A. MACDONALD

Reply #265 - April 07, 2021, 05:51 AM

1). Disputing With   Islam  In  Syric : The Case  Of  The Monk  Of   BetHle  and  a Muslim  Emir .Pdf by Sidney  H. Griffith   2010

2). What Catholics Should Know About Islam. pdf   by Sandra Toenies Keating  a 56 pages booklet

Reply #266 - June 23, 2021, 08:15 AM

Reply #267 - June 25, 2021, 03:08 AM

“Do Prophets Come with a Sword?” Conquest, Empire, and Historical Narrative in the Early Islamic World. pdf by  THOMAS SIZGORICH

Reply #268 - June 25, 2021, 03:41 AM

“Do Prophets Come with a Sword?” Conquest, Empire, and Historical Narrative in the Early Islamic World. pdf

Better link (the silverchair link needs a token that has timed out)

https://academic.oup.com/ahr/article-pdf/112/4/993/39832/112-4-993.pdf

or

https://sci-hub.st/10.1086/ahr.112.4.993
     Reply #269 - June 25, 2021, 08:28 AM

“Do Prophets Come with a Sword?” Conquest, Empire, and Historical Narrative in the Early Islamic World. pdf

Better link (the silverchair link needs a token that has timed out)

https://academic.oup.com/ahr/article-pdf/112/4/993/39832/112-4-993.pdf

or

https://sci-hub.st/10.1086/ahr.112.4.993

hello Reziac.,    Thank you for giving new links on that   Thomas Sizgorich's   work  and I am very glad to see you keeping in touch with  this website .,  the so-called  recent  historians  SEEM TO HAVE SCREWED UP   this 5th to 9th century history of middle east  and they too became faith heads believing in stories that were written by some faith heads of the past instead of probing the true history..  Anyways .. this introductory write up of Thomas Sizgorich  in that publication that mentiones that name /work of   Ammar al-Basrı  attracted me to read his work 
    IN THE NINTH CENTURY OF THE COMMON ERA, a Christian apologist living and writing under Muslim rule in Iraq repeated a very old critique of Islam. Ammar al-Basrı  wrote that Islam, like the religion of the Banu  Israel (roughly “the Sons of Israel”), had been spread by the sword, whereas Christianity forbade the use of the sword as a means of promulgating the faith.  However much we may doubt the assertion that late ancient and early medieval Christians scrupulously abstained from the use of the sword in spreading their religion, the Christian apologist clearly meant to suggest
    that Islam’s history of faith-driven conquest had made moot any claims that Muslims
    may have advanced concerning the status of their religion as the one true religion
    of God upon the Earth. 

So I am reading around  Thomas Sizgorich's  publication

Kitab Al Burhan of Ammar al Basri an Arabic Theology in the Nine Century Abbasid.pdf  by Paul Kim

The Lost Legacy of the Eastern Christianity: An Arab Contextual Theology Under theAbbasid Caliphate for Modern Missionaries and  Dhimmi  FROM DAMASCUS TO BAGDADCHRISTIAN VIEWS OF ISLAM IN THE EARLY AGE . PDF by Paul Kim

Byzantium and Islam: Age of Transition.pdf
    Evans, Helen C., ed., with Brandie Ratliff (2012)

• Previous page 1 ... 7 8 910 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »