Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Freely down loadable Books on Pro-Islam and anti Islam..

(Read 141963 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Freely down loadable Books on Pro-Islam and anti Islam..
     Reply #180 - October 15, 2018, 10:25 AM

Islam, the Arabs and Umayyad Rulers  According to Theophanes  the Confessor’s Chronography by  Cecota, Błażej   .,  Studia Ceranea 2, 2012, p. 97–111

interesting paper  .. worth reading on that   Theophanes and Islam/Muhammad which often some historians take his works as Muhammad Prophet of Islam was   some sort of false Prophet..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #181 - February 14, 2019, 09:24 PM

Reply #182 - February 14, 2019, 09:47 PM

Reply #183 - March 02, 2019, 09:35 AM

Günter Lüling

Günter Lüling  books from Jungle

THE QUR’AN IN ITS HISTORICAL  CONTEXT  ... pdf file ed. by Gabriel Said Reynolds..

What do we actually know about Muhammad?   By Patricia Crone  10 June 2008

How Ecumenical Was  Early Islam?  by  Fred M. Donner

The rabbânîya, rabbânîyûn in the Koran, an extract from:  GÜNTER LÜLING,

-What Is the Koran?   by TOBY LESTER 1999

Codicology and suspected verses in the Koran - Roots of Islam  by   Edouard-M. Gallez  and  M. Lamsiah

Hidden Origins of Islam   A pdf file edited by by Karl-Heinz Ohlig (Editor), Gerd-R Puin (Editor)

_Lueling_Ueber_den_UrQuran

Reply #184 - March 08, 2019, 03:42 PM

Altara  on  Sebeos  Islam ....
    1). R. W. Thomson and J. Howard-Johnston, The Armenian History Attributed to Sebeos
    (Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 1999), 1: 102 f., 2: 249. However, key points of Sebeos’ account, which remains problematic in other important respects too, lead one to doubt the accuracy of such assertions, especially the manner in which this anecdote strongly mirrors the narratives of the Romance of Julian the Apostate that portray the Jews as collaborators with the designs of Rome’s last pagan emperor to rebuild the Jewish temple, ordered by edict in 363 A.D. though never fully realized.

2).  See G. J. Reinink, “Ps.-Method us: A Concept of History in Response to the Rise of Islam,” in L. I. Conrad and A. Cameron, eds., The Byzantine and Early Islamic Near East I: Problems in the Literary Source Material, SLAEI 1 (Princeton: Darwin, 1992), 184 f.

3).  For an evaluation of the account attributed to Sebeos in general, see Robert Hoyland, “Sebeos, the Jews and the Rise of Islam,” in R. L. Nettler, ed., Medieval and Modern Perspectives on Muslim-Jewish Relations (Luxembourg: Harwood, 1995), 89–102

The Conquest of the world by Jews . .By Major Osman Bey

Christian Conversion in late antiquity by Averil Cameron

The great Jewish Conspiracy

well  faiths &  faith heads in political power ., propaganda did it work  in the last century.. it can also work in this century  also

Reply #185 - March 25, 2019, 05:04 AM

Creating Arab origins: Muslim constructions of al‐Jāhiliyya and Arab history , Peter Webb  (2014)    PhD Thesis. SOAS, University of London

dynamic discussions of contemporary Arab identity, the pre-Islamic and early Islamic-era Arabs are commonly treated as a straightforward and culturally homogeneous ethnos. But this simplified ‘original Arab’ archetype that conjuresimages of Arabian Bedouin has substantial shortcomings. There is almost no trace of‘Arabs’ in the pre-Islamic historical record, and the Arab ethnos seemingly emerges out of nowhere to take centre-stage in Muslim-era Arabic literature. This thesis examines Arabness and Muslim narratives of pre-Islamic history with the dual aims of (a) better understanding Arab origins; and (b) probing the reasons why classical era Muslims conceptualized Arab ethnic identity in the ways portrayed in their writings. 

Reply #186 - March 26, 2019, 12:23 AM

THE PRE-ISLAMIC MIDDLE EAST  by  dr. Martin Sicker

Reply #187 - March 30, 2019, 01:10 PM

Didascalia Apostolorum  translated from Syriac by Margaret Dunlop Gibson  1903 

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html

Didascalia Apostolorum, or just Didascalia, is a Christian treatise which belongs to the genre of the Church Orders. It presents itself as being written by the Twelve Apostles at the time of the Council of Jerusalem; however, scholars agree that it was actually a composition of the 3rd century, perhaps around 230 AD.  The Didascalia was clearly modeled on the earlier Didache.  The author is unknown, but he was probably a bishop. The provenance is usually regarded as Northern Syria, possibly near Antioch.

Reply #188 - April 02, 2019, 05:56 AM

Al Asnam by Hisham ibn-al-Kalbi (737 CE - 819 CE)

Translated with Introduction and Notes by Nabih Amin

The Book of Idols (Kitāb al-ʾAṣnām), written by the Arab scholar Hisham Ibn Al-Kalbi (737–819), describes gods and rites of pre-Islamic Arab religions. The text is critical of pre-Islamic Arabian religion and decries the state of religious corruption which the Arabs had supposedly descended to since the founding of the Kaaba.[1] The book was instrumental in identifying shirk (the sin of polytheism) with "the idolatry of the pre-Islamic Arabs."[2]

Ahmad Zaki Pasha, the Egyptian philologist, discovered the text; he bought the sole extant manuscript at auction in Damascus[2] and the manuscript, one of many in his extensive collection, was donated to the state after his death in 1934. Zaki Pasha announced his discovery at the XIVth International Congress of Orientalists.

Reply #189 - April 03, 2019, 01:39 PM

Islam at Cross Roads by  Muhammad Asad

First published in 1934, this book "Islam at the Crossroads" was written as plea to the Muslims of that generation to avaoid a blind imitation of Western scoail forms and values, and to try to preserve instead their Islamic heritage which once upon a time had been responsible for the glorious many-sided historical phenomenon comprised in the "Muslim Civilization". But, as it happened, much of what the author had aimed at was subsequently misunderstood by the readers and leaders who failed to grasp the full implications of his call to cultural creativeness and to return to the true ideology of the Qur'an and Sunnah. <P>This revised edition, it is hoped, would clarify something of the tragic confusion nowadys prevailing in the Muslim world. Thsi is dedicated to the Muslim youth of today, just as the original 1934 edition was dedicated to the Muslim youth of those days

So many books from Muhammad Asad I  am not sure all  from same  person or may be they com from different Muhammad Asads  ..  similar to  Quran stories in  Quran

Reply #190 - April 03, 2019, 01:49 PM

Quranic Studies: Sources and Methods of Scriptural Interpretation by John Wansbrough (Author), Andrew Rippin (Translator, Foreword)

Reply #191 - April 03, 2019, 01:59 PM

Great book by Wansbrough. Superb discussion on the preservation of the Quran, its variant readings, etc.
     Reply #192 - April 03, 2019, 09:19 PM

Great book by Wansbrough. Superb discussion on the preservation of the Quran, its variant readings, etc.

but Mahgraye  I am under the impression that you  Question Wansbrough  views on Quran

Wansbrough's   view was that the Quran was most probably composed around 200 years later than the standard date, and in Mesopotamia rather than the Hijaz (the area of Western Arabia that includes Mecca and Medina.)   

anyways let me add these book/pubs

What is (un)Islamic about Islamic Politics?   ..2003    by   dr. Nelly Lahoud

New Perspectives on  the Qur)an  The Qur,an in its historical context 2.. 2011    Edited by Gabriel Said Reynolds    .....that meeting was In the memory of Nasr Hamid Abu Zayd (1943-2010) 

well there is plenty of good stuff in it but i was interested in going through

12 The mysterious letters and other formal features of  the Qur' an in light of Greek and Babylonian  oracular texts  by  DEVIN J. STEWAR  page 323

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ayh592XhJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d7WGgHKfXc

Nasr Hamid Abu Zayd Quranic interpretation

Reply #193 - April 05, 2019, 10:48 AM

'Emotion in the Qur'an: An Overview' by Karen Bauer., Journal of Qur'anic Studies 19.2 (2017), 1-31.

That is an interesting publication .   the work is directly related  to ROGUES USING EMOTIONAL BLACK MAIL  and  acting as medicine man/woman and   giving some sort of psychotherapy using    so-called religious books/literature /faith sayings to psychotic patients.......... 

Incidentally this emotional black mail is present throughout the animal kingdom so humans are no exception to that rule., My dog  thinks that I am an idiot .,  OFTEN USES POUTING  TECHNIQUES/EXPRESSIONS... so i will do what it wants me to do  such taking him to walk or giving a treat ...  and some times I do give in  Cheesy   

Anyways   Karen Bauer starts that publication with these words
    Despite a huge surge in interest and production in the field of Quranic studies, very little has been said about emotion in the Quran. While some authors have commented on the texts emotive power,and entries in the Encyclopedia of the Qurān   include certain  prominent emotions such as  love fear and joy and misery to my knowledge nobody has undertaken a study of emotions as such..............

I certainly agree with her on that and I would like to add to such publications    .. "ONE WILL FIND SIMILAR  EMOTIONS (( such as  love fear and joy and misery  etc..etc...))  in every faith and their books or in their stories .. Quran is not telling something new which was not their before its birth as book "

We must note here that one can  find  such priests, preachers, mullahs, imams or   own family members even today using that "EMOTIONAL BLACK MAILS "  for various purposes .  Some to brain wash.. some to take your money and some to hit you below the belt  ..lol..    that is all in the name of  allah/god  and is there in  every religion/faith/whatever . 

And My good friends (("THE PREACHERS , MULLAHS & IMAMS")) I want to tell you  that  those fucking  days are over .,    One of  interesting fact here  is,   if we carefully observe animal species  we will find such emotional black mails., The only difference between human being and animals is "WE LEARN SUCH BLACK MAILING TECHNIQUES  IN BOOKS/IN SCHOOLS AND FROM THE SOCIETY AROUND US"  .. where as the animals  learns mostly from their parents/playmates and siblings 

So let me read the Karen Bauer publication....

Reply #194 - April 05, 2019, 11:12 AM

This psychotherapy.. emotional blackmail  or emotional treatment((or or whatever other name one gives))  .,   using faith, faith books faith sayings  is a vast subject  .. so there are tons of books  and videos on that on web., Scoundrels exploits that weakness which is present in good innocents folks who happened to follow their faiths  sincerely since their birth.......   let me add some here

EMOTIONAL HEALTH According To The Qur’an & The Sunnah  by  MARYAM L. NEWELL

Download and read that.. that is a 476 pages  book and that comes from 

ISLAMIC AFFAIRS & CHARITABLE
    ACTIVITIES DEPARTMENT
    GOVERNMENT OF DUBAI
    RESEARCH DEPT.
    Tel.: +971 4 608 77 77 - P. O. Box: 3135 - Dubai
    United Arab Emirates
    mail@dicd.ae
    www.dicd.gov.ae

a very well done book to control  millions of workers that work in and around Dubai to build wonderful structures for rich and famous .. Oh well it is life

Possession, Jinn and Britain's backstreet exorcists BBC news  19 November 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmutDDGBGDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IveMwesGs9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bjGPggYNYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IveMwesGs9w

INCIDENTALLY IT IS NOT SPECIFIC TO ISLAM  THIS RUBBISH IS THEIR IN EVERY FAITH   .. and it is a serious health problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDXM-Q_yK-E

well  let me also hear some from Apostate Prophet  ..lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1lDTnsC5A

it is very unfortunate that ROGUES WHO PREACH FAITHS EXPLOIT poor souls  who have serious mental health issues...   

Reply #195 - April 13, 2019, 09:19 PM

ARCHAEOLOGY AND THE HISTORY OF EARLY ISLAM: THE FIRST SEVENTY YEARS BY JEREMY JOHNS*

Political Engineering and the Origins of Culture: The Institutional Foundations of the Rise of IslamDavid Siddhartha Patel., Department of Political Science.,  Stanford University

PUBLIC EXECUTION IN THE UMAYYAD PERIOD:  EARLY ISLAMIC PUNITIVE PRACTICE AND ITS LATE ANTIQUE CONTEXT*  Andrew Marsham .,   UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH

THE CONCEPT OF KHILAFAH ACCORDING TO SELECTED SUNNI AND SHIA QUR'ANIC COMMENTARIES   by Fadzli Bin ADAM.,  Submitted in Accordance with the Requirements for the Degree of  Doctor of Philosophy ., The University of Leeds ., Department of Theology and Religious Studies  April 2001

Reply #196 - April 16, 2019, 09:25 AM

The Mandaeans of Iraq and Iran by Drower, E. S. (Ethel Stefana), Lady,  1937

Arabs and empires before sixth century first chapter of the book

Reply #197 - April 16, 2019, 12:50 PM

The Quran and the Orientalists by Muhammad Mohar Ali    book pdf   file

Dr. prof. Muhammad Mohar Ali (Bangla মোহাম্মদ মোহার আলী) 1932–2007) was a British Bangladeshi Islamic scholar, historian and barrister. He is the only Bengali to have received the King Faisal International Prize.

Mohammad-Ali  receiving THE PRIZE FROM KING... yes............kings write history through scribes who were fed by  kings..

http://www.bmri.org.uk/biogs/Muhammad-Mohar-Ali.pdf

Reply #198 - May 03, 2019, 03:46 PM

Medieval Islam: A Study in Cultural Orientation 

by Gustave E. von Grunebaum
    University of Chicago Press, Jan 15, 2010 - Religion - 386 pages

From the Preface:

"This book book has grown out of a series of public lectures delivered in the spring of 1945 in the Division of the Humanities of the University of Chicago. It proposes to outline the cultural orientation of the Muslim Middle Ages, with eastern Islam as the center of attention. It attempts to characterize the medieval Muslim's view of himself and his peculiarly defined universe, the fundamental intellectual and emotional attitudes that governed his works, and the mood in which he lived his life.

The book strives to explain the structure of his universe in terms of inherited, borrowed, and original elements, the institutional framework within which it functioned, and its place in relation to the contemporary Christian world. "A consideration of the various fields of cultural activity requires an analysis of the dominant interest, the intentions, and, to some extent, the methods of reasoning with which the Muslim approached his special subjects and to which achievement and limitations of achievement are due. Achievements referred to or personalities discussed will never be introduced for their own sake, let alone for the sake of listing the sum total of this civilization's major contributions. They are dealt with rather to evidence the peculiar ways in which the Muslim essayed to understand and to organize his world.

"The plan of the book thus rules out the narration of political history beyond the barest skeleton, but it requires the ascertaining of the exact position of Islam in the medieval world and its significance. This plan also excludes a study of Muslim economy, but it leads to an interpretation of the social structure as molded by the prime loyalties cherished by the Muslim."

well  you can download that book from the link

Reply #199 - May 16, 2019, 10:02 PM

MYSTICAL DIMENSIONS OF ISLAM  Annemarie Schimmel,  1975.....

Reply #200 - May 18, 2019, 03:16 AM

Reply #201 - June 01, 2019, 04:44 PM

MORE PROPOSED EMENDATIONS TO THE TEXT OF THE KORAN by JAMES A. BELLAMY

A summary of The Origins of The Koran: Classic Essays on Islam's Holy Book, edited by Ibn  Warraq

Reply #202 - June 01, 2019, 04:48 PM

by Nöldeke, Theodor        Translator:     Black, John Sutherland        Published:      1892

you can download that 200 pages or so book by clicking the picture..

Reply #203 - June 01, 2019, 05:39 PM

THE HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE QURAN BY THE REV. CANON SELL

Canon Edward Sell (24 January 1839 – 15 February 1932) was an Anglican orientalist, writer and missionary in India.   Sell was born on 24 January 1839 in Wantage in Berkshire. He was educated at the Church Missionary College in Islington, London, completing his studies in 1862. In 1874 Sell was appointed as a fellow of Madras University and he received a Bachelor of Divinity from Lambeth in 1881. Sell received an honorary Doctor of Divinity from Edinburgh University in 1907. He was a member of the Royal Asiatic Society and was awarded the Kaiser-i-Hind Gold Medal in 1906. He was also appointed "Chairman of the Arabic, Persian, and Hindustani Studies  Sell wrote extensively on Islam and biblical subjects, in particular, the Old Testament. His works include:

1.The Faith of Islam, London, 1880

2. ʼIlm-I-Tajwīd; or, The Art of Reading the Qurān With an Account of the Rules for the Rasm-Ul-Khat, and a List of the Various Readings of the Last Sura, 1882

3. Jāmi'-Ul-Qavānīn. An Urdu Grammar, with Chapters on Rhetoric and Prosody, 1885

4. The Historical Development of the Quran, 1897

5. Essays on Islam, 1901

6. Islam: its Rise and Progress, 1907

7. The Religious Orders of Islam, 1908

8. The Khulafar-Rashidun, 1909

9. The Cult of Ali, 1909

10.The Battles of Badr and Uhud, 1909

11. Al-Quran, 1909

12. Sufiism, 1910

13. The Druses, 1910

14. Ghazwas and Sariyas, 1911

15. The Hanífs, 1912

16. Outlines of Islám, 1912

17. The Life of Muhammad, 1913

18. The Historical Development of the Quran

19. Manʹaziruʹl-qawaʹid; a Persian grammar, with chapters on rhetoric and prosody, 1911.

20. Baháism, 1912

21. Muslims in China, 1913

22. Steadfast and Abounding, 1914

23. Muslim Conquests in North Africa, 1914

24. Muslim Conquests in Spain, 1914

25. The Mamluks in Egypt, 1914

26. The Umayyad and the ʻAbbasid Khalifates, 1914

27. The Ottoman Turks, 1915

28. The Minor Prophets, 1922

29. The Songs of the Outlaw and Other Songs, Being an Exposition of Some Historical Psalms, 1922

30. Daniel, 1923

31. After Malachi, 1923

32. The Making of a Nation (Judges),1923

33. Isaiah (I-XXXIX), 1923

34. The Life and Times of Jeremiah, 1923

35. Ithna ʻAsharíyya, or, The Twelve Shiʻah Imams, 1923

36. The Megilloth, 1924

37. Chronicles, Ezra, and Nehemiah, 1924

38. Deuteronomy, 1924

39. The Book of Job, 1924

40. The Kingdom of Israel, 1925

41. The Book of Genesis, 1925

42. Exodus and Numbers, 1925

43. Leviticus, 1925

44. The Apocalypses, 1925

45. The Kingdom of Judah, 1926

46. The Undivided Kingdom, 1926

47. bThe Samaritan and Other Jewish Sects, 1927

48. A Guide to the Study of the Canon of the Old and New Testaments, 1927

49. bThe Talmud, Mishnah, and Midrash, 1928

50. Studies in Islam, 1928

51. Islam in Spain, 1929

52. The Áyyub and Mamluk Sultans, 1929

53. Messianic Hope, 1929

54. Inspiration, 1930

55. The Exile, 1931

56. Covenants: The Day of the Lord, 1931

57. The Glorious Company of the Apostles and Other Sermons, n.d.

my goodness gracious  ...  that is a tremendous  work  that too publishing in 19th cenury

Reply #204 - June 05, 2019, 09:22 AM

The Arabs In History  by  Bernard Lewis

BAIT AL- MAQDIS WITHIN A HISTORICAL AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL CONTEXT UNTIL THE END OF THE UMAYYAD PERIOD     by DR. TALEB ABDALLAH Al-SMADI., Department of Archaeology and Tourism,  Faculty of Arts,  Mu'tah University, Jordan.

Reply #205 - June 08, 2019, 01:24 AM

The Quran in its Historical Context -

VARIANT READINGS  OF THE QUR' AN:  A CRITICAL STUDY OF THEIR  HISTORICAL AND ~INGUISTIC ORIGINS  by  AI:Jmad 'An al Imam ..   Submitted for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy  University of Edinburgh July 1984

Reply #206 - June 13, 2019, 04:39 PM

Muhammad: Man of God by    dr. Seyyed Hossein Nasr

This short study of the life of the Blessed Prophet of Islam, for high school and above, is neither a new historical analysis nor yet another purely devotional sketch of the earthly career of God's last prophet. This biography takes the spiritual dimensions into consideration as well as the more factual and historical elements of the life of the person who changed human history.

Reply #207 - June 23, 2019, 03:29 PM

The Umayyad Dynasty's Conversion to Islam (from the low point until ca. 692 AD). pdf by  A.J. Deus _University of Ottawa

The Arab Conquest of Egypt.pdf.  By Alfred J. Butler

ARABIC POETRY., Trajectories of modernity and tradition. pdfby  Muhsin J. al-Musaw

Reply #208 - June 24, 2019, 08:49 PM

The History of al-Tabari (Ta'rikh al-rusul wa 'l mululc)_VOLUME XV
    The Crisis of the Early Caliphate. pdf file
    translated and annotated
    by R. Stephen Humphreys
    University of Wisconsin, Madison

Al-Tabari:    Abū Jaʿfar Muḥammad ibn Jarīr al-Ṭabarī (/ˈtɑːbəri/; Persian: محمد بن جریر طبری‎, Arabic: أبو جعفر محمد بن جرير بن يزيد الطبري‎) (224–310 AH; 839–923 AD) was an influential Persian[2][3] scholar, historian and exegete of the Qur'an from Amol, Tabaristan (modern Mazandaran Province of Iran), who composed all his works in Arabic. Today, he is best known for his expertise in Qur'anic exegesis, Islamic jurisprudence and world history, but he has been described as "an impressively prolific polymath. He wrote on such subjects as poetry, lexicography, grammar, ethics, mathematics, and medicine.

His most influential and best known works are his Qur'anic commentary known as Tafsir al-Tabari and his historical chronicle Tarikh al-Rusul wa al-Muluk (History of the Prophets and Kings), often referred to Tarikh al-Tabari. Although it eventually became extinct, al-Tabari's madhhab flourished among Sunni ulama for two centuries after his death

Tabari was born in Amol, Tabaristan (some 20 km south of the Caspian Sea) in the winter of 838–9.[6] He memorized the Qur'an at seven, was a qualified prayer leader at eight and began to study the prophetic traditions at nine. He left home to study in 236AH[7] (850–851AD) when he was twelve. He retained close ties to his home town. He returned at least twice, the second time in 290AH (903AD) when his outspokenness caused some uneasiness and led to his quick departure.[8]

He first went to Rayy (Rhages), where he remained for some five years.[9] A major teacher in Rayy was Abu Abdillah Muhammad ibn Humayd al-Razi, who had earlier taught in Baghdad but was now in his seventies.[10] While in Ray, he also studied Muslim jurisprudence according to the Hanafi school.[11] Among other material, ibn Humayd taught Jarir Tabari the historical works of ibn Ishaq, especially al-Sirah, his life of Muhammad.[12] Tabari was thus introduced in youth to pre-Islamic and early Islamic history. Tabari quotes ibn Humayd frequently, but little is known about Tabari's other teachers in Rayy

In his late twenties, he travelled to Syria, Palestine and Egypt.[22] In Beirut, he made the highly significant connection of al-Abbas b. al-Walid b. Mazyad al-'Udhri al-Bayruti (c.169-270/785-6 to 883–4). Al-Abbas instructed Tabari in the Syrian school's variant readings of the Qur'an and transmitted through his father al-Walid the legal views of al-Awza'i, Beirut's prominent jurist from a century earlier.

Tabari was some fifty years old when al-Mu'tadid became caliph. He was well past seventy in the year his History was published. During the intervening years, he was famous, if somewhat controversial, personality. Among the figures of his age, he had access to sources of information equal to anyone, except, perhaps, those who were directly connected with decision making within the government. Most, if not all, the materials for the histories of al-Mu'tadid, al-Muktafi, and the early years of al-Muqtadir were collected by him about the time the reported events took place. His accounts are as authentic as one can expect from that period.

Tabari finally died on February 17, 923.[32] Abbasid authorities actually buried Tabari in secret as they feared mob violence by the Hanbalites.[33] Regardless, Tabari was remembered positively by contemporaries such as Ibn Duraid,[32] and the Hanbalites were condemned by Abbasid authorities in their entirety for persecuting opponents, roughly a decade later.

..  wiki story from  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Tabari

Reply #209 - June 24, 2019, 10:40 PM

MUSLIM - ISLAMIC ENGLISH BOOK.pdf by Muslim ibn al-Hajjaj ibn Muslim al-Qushairi an-Naisabor

Translate by Abdul Hameed

Abdul Hameed Siddiqui (born May 21, 1923 in Gujranwala , Punjab , Pakistan , died April 18, 1978 ibid.) Was a Sunni Islamic scholar and Koran exegete . He translated the Sahih Muslim (a Hadith - collection ) into English.  Abdul Hameed Siddiqui was born on May 21, 1923 in Gujranwala, Punjab, Pakistan. He first worked as an English teacher at an Islamic high school in Gujranwala. After additional studies in economics (MA at the University of Punjab (Jāmi'ah -i Panjāb) in Lahore ), he later taught in Gujranwala and Lahore. He was associate editor of the magazine Tarjumān al-Qur'ān [1] . Siddiqui was a member of the political party Jamā'at-i Islāmī Pākistān

• Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »