Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam and Science Fiction

(Read 14897 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islam and Science Fiction
     OP - January 06, 2012, 06:55 AM

One of the factors that led to me saying goodbye to xianity was science fiction, especially Arthur C Clarke.

How much scifi is read and watched by Muslims?  Might it be a significant approach to dereligionising?

A few years ago I was on holiday in Switzerland and the gods led me to the art gallery of the guy who did Alien.  The following link is definitely haram and nsfw!

http://www.hrgiger.com/

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Re: Islam and Science Fiction
     Reply #1 - January 06, 2012, 08:21 AM

I doubt sci fi helps anyone loose religion.

The amount of Sci Fi read by Muslims is proportional to the amount of quran and hadith read by muslims.

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #2 - January 06, 2012, 08:52 AM

I understand scifi to be critically important.  It does two things.  It creates an alternative fantasy world to that created by the religion, of itself very important by actually stating there is more than one way to understand the world, and playing with ideas about what might other worlds and cultures be like.

Ursula le Guin is an important example.

Always Coming Home is a novel by Ursula K. Le Guin published in 1985. This novel is about a cultural group of humans—the Kesh—who "might be going to have lived a long, long time from now in Northern California." (p. i) Part novel, part textbook, part anthropologist's record, Always Coming Home explains the life and culture of the Kesh people.[1]

The book weaves around the story of a Kesh woman called Stone Telling, who lived for years with her father's people—the Dayao or Condor people, whose society is rigid, patriarchal, hierarchical and militarily expansionist. The story fills less than a third of the book, with the rest being a mixture of Kesh cultural lore (including poetry, prose of various kinds, mythos, rituals, and recipes), essays on Kesh culture, and the musings of the narrator, "Pandora".

Some editions of the book were accompanied by a tape of Kesh music and poetry.

Pandora describes the book as a protest against contemporary civilization, which the Kesh call "the Sickness of Man". Pandora muses that one key difference is that the Kesh have solved the problem of overpopulation—there are many fewer of them than there are of us. They use such inventions of civilization as writing, steel, guns, electricity, trains, and a computer network (see below). However, unlike most neighboring societies, they reject government, a non-laboring caste, expansion of population or territory, disbelief in what we consider supernatural, and human domination of the natural environment. They blend millennia of human economic culture by combining aspects of hunter-gatherer, agriculture, and industry, but reject cities; indeed, what they call towns would count as villages now.

[edit]Literary significance and criticism

It has been noted that Always Coming Home underscores Le Guin's long-standing anthropological interests. The Valley of Na is modeled on the landscape of California's Napa Valley, where Ursula Le Guin grew up as a child.[2]
    Like much of Le Guin's work, Always Coming Home follows Native American and Taoist themes.[citation needed] It is set in a time so post-apocalyptic that no cultural source can remember the apocalypse, though a few folk tales refer to our time. The only signs of our civilisation that have lasted into their time are artifacts such as styrofoam and a self-manufacturing, self-maintaining, solar-system-wide computer network.

Stone Telling's narrative may be seen as a return to the theme of The Dispossessed and The Eye of the Heron, in which a person from an anarchistic society visits an acquisitive government-ruled society and returns.[citation needed]
    [edit]

The second vector is science - actually discussing science and technology and showing other possibilities.

Maybe some Islamic Scifi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_Coming_Home

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

Reply #3 - January 06, 2012, 05:04 PM

I used to read a tonne of science fiction in my youth and it did nothing to stop me turning into a super–religious arsehole later.

But when it’s done well it IS fantastic.
     Reply #4 - January 06, 2012, 05:09 PM

^^ Yes but wouldn't you say that they might have contributed towards your eventual apostasy?

I do believe that all the fantasy books (more than sci fi) I used to read when I was younger played a part with how hard it was for me to swallow the Islam lie for the whole of my life.

Like even recently I was reading a fantasy book in which one of the main characters studies over 300 religions and discards them all for not being consistent or not being able to stand up to scrutiny, not being able to deliver.  It's subtle, but it contributes I'm sure.  Things like that. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #5 - January 06, 2012, 06:26 PM

Well I’m sure watching Star Trek may have eventually contributed to my apostasy as well. Who knows?! Wink
     Reply #6 - January 07, 2012, 05:27 AM

Isn't religion just a bronze age form of sci fi as well?  Instead of super fast spaceships you have super fast donkeys flying you to space.  And instead of light sabers you have light people(angels).    

And not to mention: invisible angels sending down revelations just in time to scold your wife who walked in on you you sleeping with the slave girl.  

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #7 - January 07, 2012, 02:56 PM

Isn't religion just a bronze age form of sci fi as well?

Hmm - very interesting possibilities here - bookshops putting the religion section into the fantasy/fiction section, star trek followers being recognised as official religions with charitable and tax advantages.

Well what does freedom and equality mean?

New religious buildings designed like the Enterprise....

A.A. Milne,

Reply #8 - May 21, 2016, 12:53 PM

Short story: A Dead Djinn in Cairo
     Reply #9 - May 23, 2016, 08:49 AM

Great fun - middle eastern steampunk with Lovecraftian touches.
     Reply #10 - May 23, 2016, 10:09 AM

Egypt, 1912. In an alternate Cairo infused with the otherworldly, the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments and Supernatural Entities investigate disturbances between the mortal and the (possibly) divine. What starts off as an odd suicide case for Special Investigator Fatma el-Sha’arawi leads her through the city’s underbelly as she encounters rampaging ghouls, saucy assassins, clockwork angels, and a plot that could unravel time itself.

Reply #11 - May 27, 2016, 07:38 PM

Superb! Thank you :-)

A.A. Milne,

Reply #12 - May 27, 2016, 10:53 PM

Great fun - middle eastern steampunk with Lovecraftian touches.

I enjoyed it.

(But I also really like a good space opera)
     Reply #13 - October 21, 2016, 09:55 AM

Superheroes from the Middle East
    AK Comics was an anomaly when founded in 2001 or 2002 (different years are cited in different sources) by Egyptian businessman Dr. Ayman Kandeel (whose initials gave the publishing house its name), with the aim of producing superhero comics that would promote peace and understanding in the Middle East.2 AK Comics started publishing in 2003–2004, with four different titles collectively called Middle East Heroes: Zein, Aya, Jalila, and Rakan.

The titles were all set in the same alternate version of the Middle East. Zein dealt with a time-travelling descendant of an old family of pharaohs, whose origin story is similar to that of Superman. Aya is a crime-fighting superhero endowed with an origin story and attributes similar to Batman. Jalila is a nuclear scientist who gains her powers in a nuclear blast, which mirrors the origin story of the Hulk. And finally, Rakan, which is not really a superhero comic, was set in the distant past, featuring a sword-wielding barbarian who seems to have been inspired by Conan the Barbarian.

Teshkeel’s endeavors were refocused on the publication of its original superhero comic book, The 99. Teshkeel was founded by the psychologist Dr. Naif al-Mutawa, who has gained worldwide attention and acclaim for his efforts to create a cultural bridge between the Middle East and the Western world.4 Al-Mutawa also had a didactic aim with his comics: “Islamic culture and Islamic heritage have a lot to be proud and joyful about. The 99 is about bringing those positive elements into global awareness.”5

The 99 is set in an alternative version of our world, in which the knowledge and power of a fabled library in the Middle East imbues the ninety-nine “Noor Stones” that, upon contact, can turn the right person into a superhero. Dr. Ramzi, a character that shares traits with the group leader Charles Xavier of the X-Men, gathers the people who have found the Noor Stones around him and sets them working for the greater good through his organization, the 99 Steps Foundation.

Teshkeel chose a largely different approach to the superhero genre as compared to AK Comics and, to a greater or lesser degree, they made significant alterations to almost all of the conventions of the genre presented earlier. Eliminating violence and significantly downplaying the sexualization of the heroes were the major adaptations. But other changes were also made, such as the use of superpowers that were designed to fit into a group rather than to work independently, which together with the communal nature of the heroes’ moral code also radically changed the way the stories in The 99 were told, as compared to their American counterparts. The group and their shared goals were always at the forefront in these stories, as opposed to the often much more individualistic approach in American comics, including those that feature groups of superheroes.

This meant that Teshkeel, through adaptation, created something more original than AK Comics. By adapting almost all of the conventions, however, they changed so much that their comics moved closer to the genre of information comics, comics “designed to educate, inform, or teach the reader something.”6 This is consistent with the way comics made in the Middle East are often viewed, as didactic vessels intended to convey information for young readers. However, when moving towards the more educational information genre, The 99 lost some of the appeal of the original genre.

Reply #14 - October 25, 2016, 03:43 PM

Using superheroes to resolve conflicts feels a lot more sensible than armies andcsuicide bombers.

A.A. Milne,

Reply #15 - October 25, 2016, 04:10 PM

I understand scifi to be critically important.  It does two things.  It creates an alternative fantasy world to that created by the religion, of itself very important by actually stating there is more than one way to understand the world, and playing with ideas about what might other worlds and cultures be like.

Ursula le Guin is an important example.

The second vector is science - actually discussing science and technology and showing other possibilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_Coming_Home

There's a good interview with le Guin here: http://www.vice.com/read/ursula-k-le-guin-440-v15n12

Her novella Paradises Lost deals with religion (in space): http://massimomarinoauthor.com/paradises-lost-ursula-le-guin/

Reply #16 - October 25, 2016, 11:46 PM

I first learned about Islam through Frank Herbert's Dune series, which is a fantastic exploration of prophethood. I think I was in second grade, maybe third.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #17 - October 26, 2016, 10:14 AM

Interview with Noura al Noman, a science fiction writer from the UAE. She cites Dune as an influence.

https://worldsf.wordpress.com/tag/arab-science-fiction/

Reply #18 - February 08, 2017, 11:27 AM

Saladin Ahmed - Clay and Smokeless Fire
     Reply #19 - May 16, 2017, 08:33 PM

A letter from Wajahat Ali
     Reply #20 - September 17, 2017, 06:24 PM

I first learned about Islam through Frank Herbert's Dune series, which is a fantastic exploration of prophethood. I think I was in second grade, maybe third.

The Secret History of Dune
     Reply #21 - September 17, 2017, 09:27 PM

Lovely, thanks for sharing this!

Reply #22 - July 09, 2018, 01:55 PM

Science Fiction and the Arab Spring: the critical dystopia in contemporary Egyptian fiction
     Reply #23 - August 03, 2019, 08:28 PM

Rokeya Sakhawat Hossain’s ‘Sultana’s Dream’
     Reply #24 - February 28, 2021, 09:46 PM

Kehkashan Khalid - The Shape of Snowflakes
     Reply #25 - March 06, 2021, 11:40 PM

A reminder that the latest cinematic interpretation of Dune will be coming out this year (hopefully they won't push the date back a second time). I am on edge to see how true to Frank's researched notes it will be. I have been reading Brian's addendums that are supposedly sourced from the original notes of his father and he seems to have lost or shifted focus from what Frank was exploring through his work. I would like to see the Islamic references come through in this film.

Reply #26 - March 07, 2021, 01:01 AM

Here's the trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4
     Reply #27 - April 01, 2021, 10:23 PM

Arab Life on Mars
    “Sci-fi comes as societies start to develop and can be used for sociocultural critique that is looking forward through the present,” Wessam Elmeligi, Assistant Professor of Arabic and Comparative Literature at the University of Michigan-Dearborn told Newlines during an interview on Zoom. “Sci-fi in particular can actually create a new space for writers and readers in the Arab world.”

Amid the turmoil that defines the region, it is perhaps the literary genres that are perceived as being the least confrontational that can most effectively subvert the status quo. Indeed, one trend emerging in the Arab world is to reimagine the past or imagine the future, which explains why there is a surge of historical fiction and sci-fi, even if much of it is the unsophisticated variety written for TV. “It’s interesting that writing about both the past and the future are becoming more and more successful, while writing about the present is being avoided,” said Elmeligi.

Unlike political and literary critique of the status quo, science fiction, especially, has the potential to challenge long-held beliefs while remaining beyond the reach of government censors and the harsh judgement of a conservative patriarchy. It can make a lasting impact on Arab society in the same way that Anglo-American sci-fi has influenced the Western psyche.

Reply #28 - October 28, 2021, 09:55 AM

A reminder that the latest cinematic interpretation of Dune will be coming out this year (hopefully they won't push the date back a second time). I am on edge to see how true to Frank's researched notes it will be. I have been reading Brian's addendums that are supposedly sourced from the original notes of his father and he seems to have lost or shifted focus from what Frank was exploring through his work. I would like to see the Islamic references come through in this film.

Thread about the film: https://twitter.com/stephenniem/status/1452338522027872281
     Reply #29 - April 18, 2022, 08:32 AM

Podcast: https://newlinesmag.com/podcast/orientalism-salafism-and-sci-fi-in-the-world-of-dune-with-haris-durrani/
    Author and historian Haris Durrani speaks to New Lines’ Faisal Al Yafai about representation and religion in the classic sci-fi novel “Dune” and its recent film adaptation. With the distinctly Islamic far-future setting of the story, the film’s strong performance at last month’s Oscars has reinvigorated long-running debates about how non-Western cultures are portrayed on screen. Chief among these criticisms is the accusation that the lead character is glorified as a “white savior.”

Haris Durrani has a different reading. He contends that the story’s Islamic influences go deeper than mere set dressing and that despite its many issues, the story reflects a much more nuanced critique of colonialism and messianic authority — one deeply rooted in author Frank Herbert’s surprisingly sophisticated understanding of Muslim theology.

Yet still, Durrani says, there is a lot to criticize. He points out that despite the Middle East-inspired setting, none of the major characters is portrayed in the film adaptation by actors from Middle Eastern backgrounds. It’s symptomatic, he argues, of Hollywood’s long-running reliance on Orientalist tropes and preconceptions. But a new generation of Muslim science fiction writers may be poised to finally change that.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »