Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What I can do better in my life

(Read 15073 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What I can do better in my life
     OP - December 20, 2011, 10:30 PM

There are lots of things that I, we all, complain about, and mostly righteously, of all the aspects we can not change or improve about the world, and in our lives. We are all coming from and living in very different environments and sometimes it's easy to judge others based on our own experiences. But there are always things, little things even, that everyone can do to make things better.

So I thought I would start a thread for just that.

Please keep things positive in here, no flaming or trolling. If you want to comment on another person's post, keep it positive and encouraging.

Thanks.

I'll start:

+ I can organize my time better, especially when it comes to procrastinating about assignments that I know are due by certain dates. I have a tendency to put things off, like a lot of students do, but then I end up panicking and studying like mad the night before. This has to stop. It is hurting my health and my relationships and my grades. So I will, starting with the upcoming semester, organize myself and I'll work on assignments early.

+ I can exercise more regularly. This is hard to do in the winters as I like to do things outside like biking and running. I have a cross-trainer at home and some really great videos (Insanity workout and Hip Hop Abs) and I love to dance in general. These are things I could be doing at home in the winter. I need to do this regularly, I can't be just actively working out during the 7-8 months when the weather is nice. So I will make it a point to use at least 1 of those resources for 30 minutes a day 5 times a week.

+ I can work more online. As a freelance web designer and writer, I have worked on lots of projects, but in the last 2 years, they've tapered off because I did not look for work as assertively as I needed to, largely because uni classes, readings and assignments have taken a lot of my time. But I need to get back on this, it's critical. So I will spend an hour every day 5 days a week, looking for and applying for gigs that I find.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Re: What I can do better in my life
     Reply #1 - December 20, 2011, 10:39 PM

Feel free to add anything, even something small, or something internal like how you react to someone or something... anything you feel you can do better. Writing this stuff down in a somewhat public place is helpful. Try it Smiley

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #2 - December 20, 2011, 10:44 PM

I wanna learn to cook good food. No more lazy cooking. Only fresh ingredients and new exciting plates of food. I decided to start doing this earlier today in fact. I started slow, instead of scrambled or boiled eggs, I made poached eggs. Theres a good technique where you break an egg into clingfilm, tie a knot at the top off the clingfilm and then put that into boiling water. After 3-5 minutes dunk it into cold water, and I really did get the perfect egg. Yummy  Smiley
    Tomorrow I'm cooking fresh fish which I'll get from the local fishmongers tomorrow. I'm going to pan fry it using a butter basting technique. For desert, caramelised pears on pancakes with a tiny drizzle of honey.

Please encourage me in my endevour. No flaming or trolling  grin12

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #3 - December 20, 2011, 10:48 PM

The biggest one on top of my list right now:

+ I need to stop doing online freelance work, and need to start doing outside activities. Right now I'm a hermit, and if I don't change I may stay this way for the rest of my life.  Undecided
     Reply #4 - December 20, 2011, 10:52 PM

I want to learn to be a great cook too. Be more adventurous in the kitchen with the recipes I try.

I do want to visit South America and India / Thailand / Vietnam and Japan one day. I've had a fascination with Japan since I was a kid.

I also need to spend less time on the internet and read some more books that have piled up on my desk!

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - December 20, 2011, 10:53 PM

I wanna learn to cook good food. No more lazy cooking. Only fresh ingredients and new exciting plates of food. I decided to start doing this earlier today in fact. I started slow, instead of scrambled or boiled eggs, I made poached eggs. Theres a good technique where you break an egg into clingfilm, tie a knot at the top off the clingfilm and then put that into boiling water. After 3-5 minutes dunk it into cold water, and I really did get the perfect egg. Yummy  Smiley
    Tomorrow I'm cooking fresh fish which I'll get from the local fishmongers tomorrow. I'm going to pan fry it using a butter basting technique. For desert, caramelised pears on pancakes with a tiny drizzle of honey.

Excellent idea BG. I got into cooking a couple of years ago for the 1st time in my life. I've experimented with a few recipes and improvised a lot more, and I actually love it now. There is nothing like the feeling of making a delicious and nutritious meal that is eaten and enjoyed by friends and family. It's such a better feeling than ordering from restaurants Grin I am still not a fan of the clean-up afterwards, but my partner helps me with that.

I love fish; have to try more recipes with fish yes

Please encourage me in my endevour. No flaming or trolling  grin12

You can do it! Afro

Reply #6 - December 20, 2011, 10:54 PM

The biggest one on top of my list right now:

+ I need to stop doing online freelance work, and need to start doing outside activities. Right now I'm a hermit, and if I don't change I may stay this way for the rest of my life.  Undecided

Yes good idea. Human beings need social interactions IRL. Are there activities or groups you can join in your area?

Reply #7 - December 21, 2011, 08:32 AM

1 - I need to stop lurking here when I have so much to do IRL that I am not doing.  Right now I am putting off almost all miserable chores to be here because here is better than the chores which never end.  I need to learn to wake up, have a quick read whilst drinking coffee and then switch the laptop off until all my housework is done.  So that when I do choose to be here, I'm not sitting in chaos whilst doing so.

2 - Exercise.  Maybe if I made more effort to push myself out of the house to the gym, I might start eating better.  Since eating better and my health go hand in hand, this is really something I should be pushing myself to do because this constant food war is depressing.  You could put all yesterdays food in one bowl and it would even pass the brim but I wake up determined to do the same because its so easy.  Exercise is not easy (not this weak from lack of food anyway Grin ) and I need to work on my laziness.

3 - Be more upfront with the people in my life.  Stop holding things in til I begin to resent them.  Just say what I'm feeling as and when it happens and not waiting til I'm angry to say it.

4 - push harder for the therapy to start so I can work on my self hatred more.  Waking up hating yourself before the day has started just because you see the chaos you live in, and because you glimpsed a mirror before breakfast is a shitty way to exist and instead of pushing the mental health team so that I can start making positive changes, I sit here because this is comfortable.  I know this place really well, and challenging yourself to change is scary.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #8 - December 21, 2011, 09:07 AM

Start practicing a sport, do MMA or Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, both are really good for confidence and self-defense
     Reply #9 - December 21, 2011, 02:43 PM

2 - Exercise.  Maybe if I made more effort to push myself out of the house to the gym, I might start eating better.  Since eating better and my health go hand in hand, this is really something I should be pushing myself to do because this constant food war is depressing.  You could put all yesterdays food in one bowl and it would even pass the brim but I wake up determined to do the same because its so easy.  Exercise is not easy (not this weak from lack of food anyway Grin ) and I need to work on my laziness.

going to the gym is a great idea, really, i couldn't recommend it enough. i hope you find the time! once you get into the groove, maybe, just maybe...you'll feel more comfortable with food. i found that exercise does wonders for my appetite.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #10 - December 21, 2011, 02:50 PM

You can start living, and stop existing (thanks Oscar Wilde, all prayers is due to you!)?

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
     Reply #11 - December 21, 2011, 02:59 PM

Keep a tad bit more positive

Live healthily by doing some exercise and what not since it affects my sleeping pattern (Just staying inside and being productive isn't a solid excuse now that my sleeping cycle is several hours off and I end up sleeping through the day)

Try to avoid petting people's cute dogs that they take out for walks since it just happens to be an odd encounter sometimes

"I measured the skies, now the shadows I measure,
    Sky-bound was the mind, earth-bound the body rests."
    [Kepler's epitaph]
     Reply #12 - December 21, 2011, 04:52 PM

1. exercise seems to be on everyone's list! it's also on mine. I want to achieve that lean and athletic shape that I have been dreaming of.

2. I'm longing to do some volunteering work. Not quite sure how to go about finding it but once I move to a bigger town/city, I will look into it.

3. definitely read more books rather than spend hours on the internet reading various stuff.

I guess I will put all those things down on my new year's resolution list Smiley

I think a lot of us were brought here by google. Verily google guides whom it wills!

Reply #13 - December 21, 2011, 04:55 PM

-to improve my writing

-to create more time for reading books and studying instead of browsing.

-to resume my morning jogs and warm up exercises and make it become my natural habit even though its freezing but if it can help improve my moods for the day, it will be worth it.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #14 - December 21, 2011, 05:28 PM

Start practicing a sport, do MMA or Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, both are really good for confidence and self-defense

Ohh I posted this bc I thought you are asking for advice

for me i guess

only study more
     Reply #15 - December 21, 2011, 07:10 PM

Lovely thread Allat... like everyone I could do with more exercise, also I need to learn how to trust people more and feel a lot more secure in my own abilities.

Teach us to care and not to care / Teach us to sit still.
    What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult to each other
    You are the music while the music lasts.
    T.S.Eliot
     Reply #16 - December 21, 2011, 09:24 PM

ok so i got a lovely bit of cod from the fishmongers today and made a dinner using just fresh ingredients. pan fried butter basted cod with a butter and lemon sauce, baby potatoes, and carrot and suede mash. the cod was really yummy, i'm tempted to say the best fish i've ever had, hehe. remember no flaming or trolling

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reply #17 - December 21, 2011, 09:44 PM

1 - I need to stop lurking here when I have so much to do IRL that I am not doing.  Right now I am putting off almost all miserable chores to be here because here is better than the chores which never end.  I need to learn to wake up, have a quick read whilst drinking coffee and then switch the laptop off until all my housework is done.  So that when I do choose to be here, I'm not sitting in chaos whilst doing so.

Oh yes! Cheesy This for me too. I am on here way too much. But I have been learning to cut back a bit. I tried using a browser plugin to block the site, but that doesn't work usually either since I just bypass it Tongue So it's just an internal promise I have to make. Like okay, I can check CEMB in 2 hours, or after finishing this task or that assignment. Have to use it like a reward for a job completed. Doesn't always work, but about half the time it seems to...

ok so i got a lovely bit of cod from the fishmongers today and made a dinner using just fresh ingredients. pan fried butter basted cod with a butter and lemon sauce, baby potatoes, and carrot and suede mash. the cod was really yummy, i'm tempted to say the best fish i've ever had, hehe. remember no flaming or trolling

No that actually looks DELISH. Yum Yum I usually like Sole or Haddock, but I haven't yet tried making Cod with butter/margarine....

1. exercise seems to be on everyone's list! it's also on mine. I want to achieve that lean and athletic shape that I have been dreaming of.

2. I'm longing to do some volunteering work. Not quite sure how to go about finding it but once I move to a bigger town/city, I will look into it.

3. definitely read more books rather than spend hours on the internet reading various stuff.

I guess I will put all those things down on my new year's resolution list Smiley

Same here. I got a Kindle and all these ebooks, plus a lot of older books that I have been meaning to read. I spend way too much time online between studying, working and fb and here. I will make it a point to read more offline. It is a completely different, and such a grounding, experience, compared to the hustle bustle of the 'net, which has its uses, but can take over your life.

-to improve my writing

-to create more time for reading books and studying instead of browsing.

-to resume my morning jogs and warm up exercises and make it become my natural habit even though its freezing but if it can help improve my moods for the day, it will be worth it.

Excellent list. Afro

Reply #18 - December 21, 2011, 10:15 PM

this looks yummy! i'm not a very big fan of fish because I was 'traumatized' in childhood by eating cod-liver oil (no, not the one in capsules) and it's only now that I'm slowly introducing fish into my diet.

@Allat

I've got a pile of books to read and a list of those I need to get first and then read. My problem is that I can't stay focused and many times I catch myself reading but not actually understanding what I have just read. I feel like a 5 yo child with 15 minutes long attention span Cheesy
    need to do sth about it too! Smiley

I think a lot of us were brought here by google. Verily google guides whom it wills!

Reply #19 - December 21, 2011, 10:47 PM

I also need to spend less time on the internet and read some more books that have piled up on my desk!

It's a losing battle billy, when have reading lists ever got shorter?  Smiley

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #20 - December 22, 2011, 07:46 AM

Oh my list is long... but like everyone else, I could do with the exercise. There's a treadmill at home, so I best dust it and start making the most of it. I want to be able to fit into some of my lovely outfits so I'm hoping that's all the motivation I need!

I need to stop procrastinating and start studying for my Life in the UK test too Tongue

Reply #21 - December 22, 2011, 01:45 PM

1. I need to gain weight (skinny as hell)
    2. I want to improve my guitar and piano skillzxc and learn to play the drum and violin.
    3. I need to do something that I wanna do. (community related)

"Children of Abel, Children of Cain
     Can live in harmony, without shame
     The keys that I grant thee, The Sacred Land
     Are dry desert sand on the palm of your hand
     Without the water, the wisdom of past
     Will run through your fingers, forgotten so fast"
     Reply #22 - December 22, 2011, 03:23 PM

I usually like Sole or Haddock, but I haven't yet tried making Cod with butter/margarine....

it's actually a technique i picked up whilst watching masterchef the professionals, lol. you cook the fish (pre-seasoned in salt and pepper) on one side for about a minute (flesh side down) in a little olive oil in a non-stick  frying pan. you then turn the fish over so it's skin side down (if it has skin) and add some butter to the pan. wait for the butter to melt. the fish should be on the far side of the pan away from you and once the butter has melted, tilt the pan towards you so that the butter collects at the bottom, then with a spoon continuously and rapidly baste the fish with the melted butter for 2-4 minutes (this works best if you have a gas cooker so that the flame is still in contact with the pan when you tilt it). then let the fish sit for a couple of minutes away from heat.  you end up with the perfect most succulent fish. i think this is actually a technique used by a lot of modern chefs.
    for the sauce, take the fish out of the pan and squeeze some lemon into the butter add some fresh parsley.

i think i'll try seabass next...

Reply #23 - December 23, 2011, 07:46 AM

1. I need to gain weight (skinny as hell)

I have some fat for sale Tongue

Reply #24 - December 23, 2011, 09:47 AM

I can work on my cooking skills. I'm fairly good at following directions and keeping recipes memorized but I hardly ever feel the want to get in the kitchen and make something good.

I can learn to prioritize my to-do list in an orderly and quick fashion. I am the worst procrastinator on earth and I could do so much better if I took the time to make things a necessity to be done as soon as possible.

I can tap into my creativity. I've always felt really bad that I never had any artistic talents but over time, I've learned that you don't necessarily have to be born with a gift to take part in the habit of manifesting your own experiences in the most colorful and harmonious way. I'm picking up a guitar and teaching myself to play in a few. Same with a pencil to paper to learn how to draw. I can't say that it'll be easy at all but I know I'll the be the better for trying to integrate some discipline to create something beautiful.

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
     Reply #25 - December 23, 2011, 01:18 PM

Ah free shipping i guess?

"Children of Abel, Children of Cain
     Can live in harmony, without shame
     The keys that I grant thee, The Sacred Land
     Are dry desert sand on the palm of your hand
     Without the water, the wisdom of past
     Will run through your fingers, forgotten so fast"
     Reply #26 - December 23, 2011, 02:16 PM

I have only one goal atm, and that is to master the English language by Jan 2013.
     Reply #27 - December 24, 2011, 08:45 AM

I don't need to do anything better. I'm already perfect.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #28 - July 15, 2015, 02:33 PM

Tons of stuff.

I want to get back into martial arts properly, not half-heartedly. I kind of regret quitting taekwondo after achieving my black belt all those years ago. My current plan is to get my flexibility back, continue with kickboxing and eventually try bjj. Wrestling is an afterthought but it's definitely something that I'd like to at least try.

I also have 100 or so books that I should be reading.

I need to do more static stretching, I have a crazy tight neck and jaw.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #29 - July 15, 2015, 10:20 PM

I don't need to do anything better. I'm already perfect.

What a cocky little shit! Grin

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »