Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Scientist creates lifelike cells out of metal

(Read 2889 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Scientist creates lifelike cells out of metal
     OP - December 12, 2011, 05:49 AM

Researcher says he has created living cells made of metal instead of carbon — and they may be evolving.

Scientists trying to create artificial life generally work under the assumption that life must be carbon-based, but what if a living thing could be made from another element?

One British researcher may have proven that theory, potentially rewriting the book of life. Lee Cronin of the University of Glasgow has created lifelike cells from metal — a feat few believed feasible. The discovery opens the door to the possibility that there may be life forms in the universe not based on carbon, reports New Scientist.

Even more remarkable, Cronin has hinted that the metal-based cells may be replicating themselves and evolving.

"I am 100 percent positive that we can get evolution to work outside organic biology," he said.

The high-functioning "cells" that Cronin has built are constructed from large polyoxometalates derived from a range of metal atoms, like tungsten. He gets them to assemble in bubbly spheres by mixing them in a specialized saline solution, and calls the resultant cell-like structures "inorganic chemical cells," or iCHELLs.

The metallic bubbles are certainly cell-like, but are they actually alive? Cronin has made a compelling case for the comparison by constructing the iCHELLS with a number of features that make them function much as real cells do. For instance, by modifying the outer oxide structure of the bubbles so that they are porous, he has essentially built iCHELLs with membranes capable of selectively allowing chemicals in and out according to size, much as what happens with the walls of real cells.

Cronin's team has also created bubbles inside of bubbles, which opens the door to the possibility of developing specialized "organelles." Even more compelling, some of the iCHELLs are being equipped with the ability to photosynthesize. The process is still rudimentary, but by linking some oxide molecules to light sensitive dyes, the team has constructed a membrane that splits water into hydrogen ions, electrons and oxygen when illuminated — which is how photosynthesis begins in real cells.

Of course, the most compelling lifelike quality of the iCHELLs so far is their ability to evolve. Although they aren't equipped with anything remotely resembling DNA, and therefore can't replicate themselves in the same way that real cells do, Cronin has nevertheless managed to create some polyoxometalates that can use each other as templates to self-replicate.
    Furthermore, he is currently embarked on a seven-month experiment to see if iCHELLs placed in different environments will evolve.

The early results have been encouraging. "I think we have just shown the first droplets that can evolve," Cronin hinted.

Though the idea of a strange new metal-based form of life rapidly evolving in a lab somewhere on Earth may sound ominous, the finding could forever change how life is defined. It also greatly improves the odds of life existing elsewhere in the universe, since life forms could potentially be built from any number of different elements.

The possibilities are exciting to imagine, even if Cronin's iCHELLs eventually fall short of full-blown living cells. His research may have already blown the door off previous paradigms about the conditions necessary for life to form.

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/scientist-creates-lifelike-cells-out-of-metal
  • Re: Scientist creates lifelike cells out of metal
     Reply #1 - December 12, 2011, 08:27 AM

Wait, I've seen this in a movie before.  This leads nowhere pretty for humanity.

Oh lawd we is all gonna die.   mysmilie_977

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - December 12, 2011, 08:34 AM

^lol

It reminds me of the replicators.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #3 - December 12, 2011, 08:45 AM

Grin  that was my first thought.  Damn SG1, they warned me about this. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - December 12, 2011, 01:44 PM

Very cool.

Life had to start with cells that had no RNA or DNA and probably replicated through simple mechanical process like growing until they split. In this video cdk007 presents that abiogenesis model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg

If scientists eventually manage to create self-sustaining organisms, it would be cool to plant them on some isolated moon where they can survive (Europa, maybe?) and let them evolve Tongue

Have you heard the good news? There is no God!
     Reply #5 - February 22, 2012, 03:41 AM

stuff.. that means WE become gods!  BAHAHAHAHA!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #6 - February 22, 2012, 07:45 AM

Very cool.

Life had to start with cells that had no RNA or DNA and probably replicated through simple mechanical process like growing until they split. In this video cdk007 presents that abiogenesis model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg

If scientists eventually manage to create self-sustaining organisms, it would be cool to plant them on some isolated moon where they can survive (Europa, maybe?) and let them evolve Tongue

I would not be surprised  if something like that comes out of laboratory with basic energy in puts  such as protons and electrons or Oxygen and hydrogen., What all a cell needs to sustain  is some mechanism  with an  electron input ..Oxygen reduction and ATP production

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - February 22, 2012, 08:20 AM

I think I have to replace mo with john connor
     Reply #8 - February 22, 2012, 08:38 AM

Reply #9 - February 22, 2012, 08:44 AM

Excellent point.

"In battle, the well-honed spork is more dangerous than the mightiest sword" -- Sun Tzu
     Reply #10 - February 22, 2012, 01:28 PM

Hmm.. the point is excellent but news says .. Five dead in Afghan protest over Quran burning

KABUL: At least five Afghans were shot dead and dozens wounded Wednesday in clashes between police and demonstrators protesting over the burning of the Quran at a US-run military base, officials said.

At least five Afghans were shot dead and dozens wounded Wednesday in clashes between police and demonstrators protesting over the burning of the Quran at a US-run military base, officials said.

In the capital Kabul and in provinces to the east, north and south of the capital, furious Afghans took to the streets screaming “Death to America”, throwing rocks and setting fire to shops and vehicles as gunshots rang out.

In the eastern city Jalalabad, students set fire to an effigy of President Barack Obama, while the US embassy in Kabul declared it was on lockdown.

In Kabul, hundreds of people poured onto the Jalalabad road, throwing stones at US military base Camp Phoenix, where troops guarding the base fired into the air and black smoke from burning tires rose, an AFP photographer said.

and another news says 4 hrs ago says Prophet Mohammad cartoonist attacked during lecture in Sweden

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #11 - February 22, 2012, 02:30 PM

Interesting. According to the OP they used metals such as tungsten, way back at school the teachers mused that silicone would/could be the 'alternative' element for life-forms because it sits directly underneath carbon in the periodic table because elements in the same column tend to participate in chemical reactions similarly. Other elements in the same coloumn include germanium, tin and lead. 

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »