Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Bohra women go online to fight circumcision trauma

(Read 3904 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Bohra women go online to fight circumcision trauma
     OP - December 10, 2011, 11:31 AM

I dont usually post and am more of a lurker but I had to share this article with you all.
    Hindustantimes.com

Bohra women go online to fight circumcision trauma

Even after 17 years, Nasreen (name changed) vividly remembers the dilapidated room in Bhendi Bazaar’s Bohri Mohalla where she was made to lie down while her mother and aunt held her arms and legs. A local mullani, an aged woman from the community, pulled out a blade and performed the
    ‘khatna’ or female circumcision on Nasreen, who was then seven years old. The practice is considered a rite of passage for Bohra women, who are made to undergo the genital mutilation even today.

“I still remember the searing pain that lasted for several days,” said Nasreen, 24, who is now a housewife. “I was so angry with my mother for letting this happen to me but she was convinced it was the right thing to do.”

Nasreen said she would not put her daughter through the trauma and has signed an online petition launched by Mumbai-based activist Tasleem (last name withheld) to stop khatna. www.change.org/petitions/hh-dr-syedna-ban-female-circumcision-ladkiyon-par-khatna.

Tasleem plans to submit the petition to the Bohra high priest Dr Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin.

The petition has so far received 318 signatures and has sparked a debate in the close-knit community. “I have gone through the horror and every time I read an article about it, it brings back terrible memories of the day. Female circumcision is wrong and a very inhuman ritual,” writes Zarine Lakdawala on the web page.

Despite sending seven emails, several text messages and calls, and visiting Badri Mahal,  administrative wing of the Bohra community, community officials refused to comment. “We refuse to comment on this issue,” said Sheik Abdeali Bhanpurawala, who is part of Badri Mahal’s public relation office.

Tasleem said “About 90% of the women in the community are made to undergo this brutal cut.”

Several Bohra women spoke to HT recounting the horror. For Farzana (name changed), 22, who was circumcised at the age of nine, the 30-second act left a grave scar. “It took me more than three months to urinate without having tears in my eyes. Even today, the pain erupts during menstruation,” said Farzana, a Lokhandwala resident.

According to community women, the ritual is carried out during the summer vacation as the wound usually takes a month to heal.

In the case of Razia (name changed), 27, her parents vehemently opposed the practice, angering relatives. “While on the one hand, the community is progressive because it allows women to study and work, on the other, such barbaric acts continue to persist,” said Razia.

According to Asghar Ali Engineer, a Bohra reformist and activist, “The custom has African roots and no other Muslim sect permits it.”

The practice has its supporters too. “As per the Bohra Shariat (law), female circumcision is mandatory. We do not want to question the Syedna’s preaching. We believe in his interpretation of the Quran,” said Mustafa Attarwala, a Dawoodi Bohra scholar. “We are not really concerned about online campaigns to ban the practice. It will not affect the community’s beliefs,” he added.

Nasreen Pardiwalas wrote on the online petition web page that it was “unfair” to question the Syedna’s words. “There is a big difference between modernity and rebellion. People assume that standing up against age-old community rituals is a sign of being modern,” said Pardiwala.

“Personally, I have been through the process. I will even make my daughters undergo it. The pain is tolerable and has strengthened my relationship with my husband,” she wrote.

It is better to remain quiet and have people think that you are an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
  • Re: Bohra women go online to fight circumcision trauma
     Reply #1 - December 10, 2011, 11:36 AM

That is horrible! I had no idea that happened in the Bohri community! I know a school mate who is bohri and quite well educated.... I wonder if anything has happened to her or not  lipsrsealed

Reply #2 - December 10, 2011, 11:49 AM

That is horrible! I had no idea that happened in the Bohri community! I know a school mate who is bohri and quite well educated.... I wonder if anything has happened to her or not  lipsrsealed

Well, there's only one way to find out!
     Reply #3 - December 10, 2011, 01:18 PM

Slip rohypnol in her drink and then have a fumble?

Reply #4 - December 10, 2011, 02:40 PM

Wouldn't just a general conversation about female circumcision, to see if she volunters any information, work alot better then inflicting another trauma?

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #5 - December 10, 2011, 03:29 PM

Wouldn't just a general conversation about female circumcision, to see if she volunters any information, work alot better then inflicting another trauma?

Was a joke Lynna!

I only chat to her briefly about once a year or so any way, so not much opportunity to get into deep conversations like that :/

Reply #6 - December 10, 2011, 04:42 PM

Thats is just terrible!

Little Fly, Thy summer's play
    My thoughtless hand has brushed away.

I too dance and drink, and sing,
    Till some blind hand shall brush my wing.

Therefore I am a happy fly,
    If I live or if I die.
     Reply #7 - December 10, 2011, 05:07 PM

I prefer Chloral hydrate.
     Reply #8 - December 10, 2011, 05:16 PM

I remember in primary school my only muslim friend (only one in the school) told me about some kind of female circumcision got me scared for a while thinking some time my parents will take me away and do that to me, after puberty Tongue I figured that it doesn't happen in our community then - then my mind relaxed from that worry.

It's a terrible thing, I think male circumcision is wrong too - when they're just a child and are forced to have their body changed like that permanently with no choice.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #9 - December 10, 2011, 05:52 PM

Was a joke Lynna!

I only chat to her briefly about once a year or so any way, so not much opportunity to get into deep conversations like that :/

Oh sorry, sometimes, well okay most the time I don't get jokes like that. I just... well... don't get jokes like that.

Reply #10 - December 10, 2011, 06:06 PM

When i visited my grandmother during summer, at the age of 9-10. She told be that I had to undergo "something" in order for me to became a woman. I was willing to do that "something" but didn't know what it was exactly. Luckely my older sister was there and cried and called dad who imidiatly opposed to it. so pweew. It's awful, but worst is they called it being hallal, so you could get married.
     Reply #11 - December 10, 2011, 07:34 PM

How many of you know FGM is actually not an Islamic thing?

How many of you know it is actually imposed on the female Jewish population by  Egyptian Pharaohs??

And How many of you know many fools(men & women) even to day think this bloody  ceremonial female circumcision is  to remove the maleness from the female   Well for that read it all here

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #12 - December 11, 2011, 02:14 AM

I truly believe that what ever change has to happen in islam will occur due to the muslims and the ex-muslims. This is an example of that. Here the muslim woman herself is trying to change her community for the better.

It is better to remain quiet and have people think that you are an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
     Reply #13 - December 11, 2011, 08:35 AM

Nasreen Pardiwalas wrote on the online petition web page that it was “unfair” to question the Syedna’s words. “There is a big difference between modernity and rebellion. People assume that standing up against age-old community rituals is a sign of being modern,” said Pardiwala.

“Personally, I have been through the process. I will even make my daughters undergo it. The pain is tolerable and has strengthened my relationship with my husband,” she wrote.

This is the saddest point about the whole article, women commit this sin on other women.  They continue to perpertrate the practise and continue this legacy.

What she says here is no different to those who say "I was smacked around a bit and it didn't do me no harm"... same principal.

Only the harm is worse that is all. 

Unless that sort of thinking is changed, we just become our parents and the new generation of jailers. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #14 - December 11, 2011, 12:48 PM

Oh sorry, sometimes, well okay most the time I don't get jokes like that. I just... well... don't get jokes like that.

It's alright   Kiss

Reply #15 - December 11, 2011, 12:48 PM

This is the saddest point about the whole article, women commit this sin on other women.  They continue to perpertrate the practise and continue this legacy.

What she says here is no different to those who say "I was smacked around a bit and it didn't do me no harm"... same principal.

Only the harm is worse that is all. 

Unless that sort of thinking is changed, we just become our parents and the new generation of jailers. 

+1

Reply #16 - December 12, 2011, 02:18 AM

Yes FGM needs to stop just as much as battering and other forms of abusing women. The problem however is very complex. This poor woman who has had FGM done to her and thinks it a good thing and plans to do it to her daughters unfurtunately knows no other way of life at this point or believes that other way of life to be unclean. Yes she is victimizing others but sadly is a victim her self. The women who are victims of FGM and are going aganst thier communities and signing the petition ar very brave indeed. 

Reply #17 - April 06, 2012, 10:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0NuCMKaRpY

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #18 - April 09, 2012, 10:27 AM

Very good video. Hopefully everyone every place where .FGM might be happening will be sharing this video.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »