Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: NASA finds planet that’s just about right for life

(Read 7051 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • NASA finds planet that’s just about right for life
     OP - December 06, 2011, 10:39 AM

Astronomers on Monday reported the discovery of an Earth-like planet outside the solar system whose size and distance from its own star put it in the “habitable” zone and make for a surface temperature perhaps averaging a balmy 72 degrees.

The planet, Kepler 22b, about 2.4 times wider than Earth, circles a star about 600 light-years from Earth, close by astronomical standards. The Kepler space-telescope discovery team announced the find at a briefing at NASA’s Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

“It is right smack in the middle of the habitable zone,” Kepler scientist Natalie Batalha said.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/2011/12/05/nasa-finds-planet-thats-just-about-right-for-life/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLc4K262GiA
  • Re: NASA finds planet that?s just about right for life
     Reply #1 - December 06, 2011, 11:38 AM

I love stuff like this! Interesting how they need 3 transits (detected by miniscule dimming of the star) to confirm. I guess the first two set a potential orbital period (290 days in this case), and a 3rd transit after the same period confirms it is something orbiting the star. Apparently there are loads more where they are just awaiting a 3rd transit to confirm.
  • Re: NASA finds planet that’s just about right for life
     Reply #2 - December 06, 2011, 01:17 PM

Re: NASA finds planet that’s just about right for life

Boy that is great news..  NASA is doing a great job.. Damn with out these religious rubbish sure there would have been many NASAs in different countries...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKyFS2KIpq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEZ990-h-8

But 600 light years distance... that is a looong distance., but what is with these silly names   Kepler-22b ., If they find hint of inhabitable planets they should give a better name..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - December 06, 2011, 02:58 PM

Yeah, I hope they find a nearer one. One light year is 10 trillion km. New Horizons (flying by pluto in July 2015) has escape velocity of 60,000 km/h or about 500,000,000 km per year. So it would take it 20,000 years to go one light year. To go 600 light years it would take it 12 million years to get to kepler-22b! I bet we could do considerably faster even today if we had to. Even 1 million years in hybernation / frozen embryos would be worth it if it buys life another billion years in a habitable zone.
     Reply #4 - December 06, 2011, 02:59 PM

i don't think you can just plant human life on another planet. the fact that it's habitable doesn't mean it's adaptable for humans.
     Reply #5 - December 06, 2011, 03:01 PM

Yeah they'd have to detect the atmosphere etc. in a lot more detail first. I think at most they'd send embryos so no-one's on a suicide trip.
     Reply #6 - December 06, 2011, 03:02 PM

how do you expect embryos to survive?
     Reply #7 - December 06, 2011, 03:05 PM

I'm just imagining but they would use advanced technology to freeze them and un-freeze them and  gestate the fetus, machines & videos/holograms to raise and teach the children. I guess very advanced robots would have to help with a lot of stuff including growing food etc.
     Reply #8 - December 06, 2011, 03:07 PM

and where would they get food?

life needs to evolve, unless you can artificially create everything from scratch and migrate all the ecologies with the flora, fauna, etc.
     Reply #9 - December 06, 2011, 03:14 PM

Same thing for food. I guess the robots would set up plants from frozen seeds in an eco system in stages, then grow the humans/animals in a predetermined order too. There would need to already be organic (not living) molecules on the planet (just as there is even in Titan's atmosphere) for the plants to grow from. They'd probably test and refine the ecosystem creation stuff on earth first in a simulated sterile setup.
     Reply #10 - December 06, 2011, 04:13 PM

Another problem: its diameter is about 2.5 Earths, so the mass is about 6.5 times that of the Earth. Humans cannot stand on such a planet; the average person would weigh 500-600 kilos there! Roll Eyes

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #11 - December 06, 2011, 04:57 PM

Another problem: its diameter is about 2.5 Earths, so the mass is about 6.5 times that of the Earth. Humans cannot stand on such a planet; the average person would weigh 500-600 kilos there! Roll Eyes

so?
     Reply #12 - December 06, 2011, 05:20 PM

Well, you can pracrice by hanging a motorcycle around your neck and have a nice stroll... Wink

Reply #13 - December 06, 2011, 05:21 PM

i did. Smiley
     Reply #14 - December 06, 2011, 05:38 PM

NASA finds planet that’s just about right for life

Is it Uranus?

fuck you
     Reply #15 - December 06, 2011, 06:01 PM

kilograms is a unit of mass. mass doesn't change with gravitational attraction, weight does. the average person weighs~800N(this is a wild guesstimate, but i'd think the average person is ~80 kilos).

pls learn science b4 sayinshit
     Reply #16 - December 06, 2011, 06:20 PM

^mass doesn't change with gravitational attraction, but gravitational attraction is proportional to mass, so N on that planet is about 6.25x N on Earth.

Reply #17 - December 06, 2011, 08:03 PM

Cool im off! See ya suckers! Wink

Little Fly, Thy summer's play
    My thoughtless hand has brushed away.

I too dance and drink, and sing,
    Till some blind hand shall brush my wing.

Therefore I am a happy fly,
    If I live or if I die.
     Reply #18 - December 06, 2011, 10:09 PM

That's a beautiful fucking color.

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #19 - December 06, 2011, 10:11 PM

That's a beautiful fucking color.

That is just a computer generated image. Not the actual planet.
     Reply #20 - December 06, 2011, 10:12 PM

kilograms is a unit of mass. mass doesn't change with gravitational attraction, weight does. the average person weighs~800N(this is a wild guesstimate, but i'd think the average person is ~80 kilos).

He was referring to how the mass of the planet would affect the weight of a person on the surface. Tongue

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #21 - December 06, 2011, 10:26 PM

I know that KT. Grin I was commenting on the color that I'm viewing from my phone.

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #22 - December 06, 2011, 10:28 PM

Alot of nonsense in some of the news, it will not take 600 light years to reach the planet if you were travailing at light speed. From the reference of the object traveling close to the speed of light it would get there in an instant, since time moves slowly the faster you travel. Yes, the plant would age by 600 light years and similarly this effect would be the same on earth, but you travailing at that speed would not age much. Its Time Dilatation.

Carl Sagan explains it better then me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vpu6yJPRVQ
     Reply #23 - December 06, 2011, 10:31 PM

dude, the is right. a human would weight more on such a plant if the math is right.
     Reply #24 - December 07, 2011, 05:35 AM

^mass doesn't change with gravitational attraction, but gravitational attraction is proportional to mass, so N on that planet is about 6.25x N on Earth(where x is the weight of a given object)

ftfy

anyway, on to you worming your way out of this obvious scientific mishap:

newtons != kilos. kilos are a measure of mass and newtons are a measure of weight. they are in no way interchangeable and that was the point i was making(your post was sort of smugly worded so i had to correct such a basic misunderstanding)

also no shit gravitational attraction is proportional to mass, i didn't say it wasn't. it still makes the fact you used kilos as a measure of weight a basic mistake.
     Reply #25 - December 07, 2011, 05:37 AM

He was referring to how the mass of the planet would affect the weight of a person on the surface. Tongue

yeah i understand his point but he said the average person would weigh 500-600 kilos. i'm calling out that mistake because it's sort of smug to jump on a thread like this(which is referring to a possibly mindblowing discovery) and say WELL SINCE ITS BIGGER WE'D WEIGH MORE THEREFORE WE CAN'T EVER LIVE THERE(which is probably wrong anyway) and make such a basic(like srsly, confusing units is a grade-school mistake) error is sort of ironic
     Reply #26 - December 07, 2011, 05:41 AM

Whatever, math elitist. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #27 - December 07, 2011, 06:03 AM

yeah i understand his point but he said the average person would weigh 500-600 kilos.

Well they would. What's wrong with his statement? Weight is commonly given in kilos, so it's reasonable as a means of comparison.

Oh and incidentally, a Newton is a measure of force, if you are into being pedantic. Get it right. Tongue

i'm calling out that mistake because it's sort of smug to jump on a thread like this(which is referring to a possibly mindblowing discovery) and say WELL SINCE ITS BIGGER WE'D WEIGH MORE THEREFORE WE CAN'T EVER LIVE THERE(which is probably wrong anyway) and make such a basic(like srsly, confusing units is a grade-school mistake) error is sort of ironic

It would be very difficult for humans to live there with that much gravity. Not impossible, but certainly not any fun at all.

However, if there is a similar temperature range to earth, and a similar atmosphere, there should be an extremely good chance of some life forms evolving there. That would be really interesting.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #28 - December 07, 2011, 02:29 PM

omg this is so exciting!!!  bunny
    I wonder what type of animals live on this world.

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-22b
     Reply #29 - December 07, 2011, 04:44 PM

Well they would. What's wrong with his statement? Weight is commonly given in kilos, so it's reasonable as a means of comparison.

Oh and incidentally, a Newton is a measure of force, if you are into being pedantic. Get it right. Tongue
    It would be very difficult for humans to live there with that much gravity. Not impossible, but certainly not any fun at all.

However, if there is a similar temperature range to earth, and a similar atmosphere, there should be an extremely good chance of some life forms evolving there. That would be really interesting.

weight is a force, and in this instance newtons are a measure of the weight(i do my research before jumping on a nigga for being smug).

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »