Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: 10 Myths About Introverts

(Read 4777 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 10 Myths About Introverts
     OP - November 27, 2011, 01:53 PM

Owl City Blog

I recently stumbled across a blog written by Carl King about the phenomenon known as the introverted human being and it struck a major chord with me. After each bullet, I felt like standing up and shouting “YESSSSSSSSS!” at the top of my lungs because these points (made by author Marti Laney, Psy.D) are total home runs. As an extreme introvert, this is like sweet manna from heaven.

I was lucky enough to discover a book called, The Introvert Advantage (How To Thrive in an Extrovert World), by Marti Laney, Psy.D. I feel like someone has written an encyclopedia entry on a rare race of people to which I belong. Not only has it explained many of my eccentricities, it helps me to redefine my entire life in a new and positive context.

Sure, anyone who knows me would say, “Duh! Why did it take you so long to realize you’re an Introvert?” It’s not that simple. The problem is that labeling someone as an Introvert is a very shallow assessment, full of common misconceptions. It’s more complex than that. (Since Carl King is talking about it, it has to be.)

A section of Laney’s book maps out the human brain and explains how neuro-transmitters follow different dominant paths in the nervous systems of Introverts and Extroverts. If the science behind the book is correct, it turns out that Introverts are people who are over-sensitive to Dopamine, so too much external stimulation overdoses and exhausts them. Conversely, Extroverts can’t get enough Dopamine, and they require Adrenaline for their brains to create it. Extroverts also have a shorter pathway and less blood-flow to the brain. The messages of an Extrovert’s nervous system mostly bypass the Broca’s area in the frontal lobe, which is where a large portion of contemplation takes place.

Unfortunately, according to the book, only about 25% of people are Introverts. There are even fewer that are as extreme as I am. This leads to a lot of misunderstandings, since society doesn’t have very much experience with my people. (I love being able to say that.)

So here are a few common misconceptions about Introverts (I put this list together myself, some of them are things I actually believed):

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.

This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.

Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.

On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.

Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.

Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.

Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.

Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.

A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

It can be terribly destructive for an Introvert to deny themselves in order to get along in an Extrovert-Dominant World. Like other minorities, Introverts can end up hating themselves and others because of the differences. If you think you are an Introvert, I recommend you research the topic and seek out other Introverts to compare notes. The burden is not entirely on Introverts to try and become “normal.” Extroverts need to recognize and respect us, and we also need to respect ourselves.

-Carl
  • Re: 10 Myths About Introverts
     Reply #1 - November 27, 2011, 02:28 PM

So I true. I consider myself an introvert. Tried  being more extroverted and failed =p

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #2 - November 27, 2011, 04:25 PM

^ Afro!

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #3 - November 27, 2011, 05:22 PM

I'm a minority. dance

Reply #4 - November 27, 2011, 06:41 PM

Wow, most of that list accurately describes me! Being an introvert I've experienced a lot of awkward interactions with people.  oops

I really suck at small talk.
     Reply #5 - November 27, 2011, 08:56 PM

Meh, I find introversion vs. extroversion to be an extremely narrow lens through which to view human sociability and behaviors.

I suppose you could classify me as an introvert, but most of the characterizations of how/why I engage in typical introvert behaviors would be off the mark. Whatever.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #6 - November 27, 2011, 09:01 PM

I guess could be considered an introvert. I read a book about it a long time ago and people get too worked up about it, at first it's ok and then who whole us vs them mentality comes up and ruins it for me. And I see many people portray it as black or white, introvert or extrovert, even though you can be anywhere in between.
     Reply #7 - November 27, 2011, 09:28 PM

it's not black and white. i have some characteristics of an extrovert, for example i get a lot of energy when i'm around people. but i'm undeniably an introvert. i like to spend time alone, and i tend to prefer hanging out with a few people rather than many, unless i'm in a party mood.
     Reply #8 - November 27, 2011, 09:30 PM

it's not black and white. i have some characteristics of an extrovert, for example i get a lot of energy when i'm around people. but i'm undeniably an introvert. i like to spend time alone, and i tend to prefer hanging out with a few people rather than many, unless i'm in a party mood.

Congrats on your 5555th post!  Afro
     Reply #9 - November 27, 2011, 09:36 PM

Yea I know it's not black and white, but I mean a lot of people (not talking about this thread) seem to think of it that way.
     Reply #10 - November 27, 2011, 10:19 PM

Abood, I love you for this.  Afro

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #11 - November 28, 2011, 02:50 AM

I find that list doesn't really encompass the differences between introverts.  Being introverted isn't one blank label ou can assign to 20% of the population, even within the introverted types there are differences.

For one he says that we don't like to follow the latest trend, it's all about standing against the crowd.  Yea, ENxP types are like that.  In fact the ENxP types are considered the most introverted extroverts because they find it hard to totally conform enough to throw themselves into society the same way an ES type might.

Or that :

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Yea, maybe if you are an INTx or ISTx type, but INFx types and ISFx types never usually leave people feeling like they are rude.  We will do social pleasantries because we hate to hurt people so we will fake it. 

It seems to me that he is looking at introversion through his own lens, that of an INTx or ISTx.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #12 - November 28, 2011, 08:07 AM

There are even fewer that are as extreme as I am. This leads to a lot of misunderstandings, since society doesn’t have very much experience with my people. (I love being able to say that.)

'My people'?!! This is almost as bad as that stupid ginger kid on youtube labelling gingers as a race and only encourages the 'Them and Us' mentality. Not to mention it distorts reality by creating a fictional line between extroversion and introversion as if there is no middle-ground, and everyone can be generalised into each subset.

He makes some great points but tarnishes the whole article by making introverts out as being really special and misunderstood victims who should be treated differently because of their inability to adapt. Does he think extroverts are going to read articles like these, have an epiphany and suddenly change their attitudes towards introverts? I can bet you the majority of the people who will read that article will be introverts trying to justify their social disorders or understand themselves.

The best thing for people who struggle to fit in is to learn to adapt, and if you cant then you're buggered. Don't hope that the rest of the world will change their attitude towards you ever. They don't have to and they wont. They will continue to generalise you and associate you with the above myths because they don't care enough about you to understand you.

Fitting in is all down to you whether you are an introvert, extrovert, or both or whatever you wanna call yourself.
     Reply #13 - November 28, 2011, 08:45 AM

everyone seems to call themselves an introvert, or at least the people i know, i know very few people who call themselves extrovert. Despite being a mighty fan of Jung, i've never been able to take introvert vs extrovert seriously

"The words that oscillate between nonsense and supreme meaning are the oldest and truest." - C.G. Jung
     Reply #14 - November 28, 2011, 08:54 AM

i am an INFJ....1% of the population is that...so yeah, im special, i know, whatever....

"The words that oscillate between nonsense and supreme meaning are the oldest and truest." - C.G. Jung
     Reply #15 - November 28, 2011, 10:58 AM

You're about as infj as I am young and nubile. 

Hassan is an infj.......you see where I am going with this right?   Wink

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #16 - November 28, 2011, 12:13 PM

ive always thought you to be young and nubile, when will you haunt my wet dreams?  Tongue

the myers brigg test said i was infj  whistling2 and myers briggs knows his shit

Reply #17 - November 28, 2011, 12:40 PM

'My people'?!! This is almost as bad as that stupid ginger kid on youtube labelling gingers as a race and only encourages the 'Them and Us' mentality. Not to mention it distorts reality by creating a fictional line between extroversion and introversion as if there is no middle-ground, and everyone can be generalised into each subset.

He makes some great points but tarnishes the whole article by making introverts out as being really special and misunderstood victims who should be treated differently because of their inability to adapt. Does he think extroverts are going to read articles like these, have an epiphany and suddenly change their attitudes towards introverts? I can bet you the majority of the people who will read that article will be introverts trying to justify their social disorders or understand themselves.

The best thing for people who struggle to fit in is to learn to adapt, and if you cant then you're buggered. Don't hope that the rest of the world will change their attitude towards you ever. They don't have to and they wont. They will continue to generalise you and associate you with the above myths because they don't care enough about you to understand you.

Fitting in is all down to you whether you are an introvert, extrovert, or both or whatever you wanna call yourself.

What the fuck?? did you even read the article? introversion is not a "social disorder", that's exactly the point. introversion is not social anxiety. it's not being shy or awkward. it's not being unable to speak when you want to because you're afraid. introversion just means being more inclined towards having a small group of close friends, specific interests, and a need to sometimes be alone and "recharge" every once in a while. There does NOT need to be any "adaption" to fit in anywhere.  telling an introvert they need to get used to social situations is like telling an extrovert they need to take some time off from socializing. it makes no sense. but i know some introverts who are very outgoing, and i know i am very outgoing when i'm with a group i'm comfortable with. i'm not shy or awkward unless i'm extremely uncomfortable, such as when in a big party and feel overwhelmed. there is actually a scientific explanation for this, because it relates to dopamine production. being around a lot of people can be overwhelming for introverts. but i also know some extroverts who have social anxiety. again, it's not about how shy or awkward you are, it's about how you connect with people. introverts prefer to connect on a one-on-one basis. i don't like being at big parties because i can't get to know people personally, it feels shallow and pointless.

telling introverts to "get over it" is like telling gay people to "get over it". "just stop being gay, will you!"

there isn't a clear line between introversion and extroversion, but there ARE generalizations and models, and that's how science works after all. there isn't a clear line between heterosexuality and homosexuality either, but does that mean there are no heterosexuals or homosexuals? or does that mean there cannot be anything said about either?

if people have no desire to understand me, well that's their own damn fault, isn't it? does that justify anything? does not having a desire to legalize homosexuality justify homophobia? does not having the desire to accept other races justify racism? does not having the desire to end women's oppression justify patriarchy?
     Reply #18 - November 28, 2011, 06:40 PM

The saddest thing about this whole sorry affair is that I cannot ‘fix’ myself and become an Extrovert Cry. I may as well do myself in right now Cry.
     Reply #19 - November 28, 2011, 06:46 PM

what's wrong with being an introvert? why do you feel the need to fix it?
     Reply #20 - November 28, 2011, 09:18 PM

I'm definitely an introvert (including the shyness, social anxiety etc), but I can 'fake it' but not for long, and yeah i dislike being around a lot of people in a social gathering - I end up feeling a bit dizzy, and get a headache around too many people for too long.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #21 - November 28, 2011, 09:20 PM

Even though sometimes I feel very alone...I like being on my own most times, and when I do want company I do want it to be with people I feel a close connection with, and a small group. Mmm.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #22 - November 28, 2011, 09:38 PM

The saddest thing about this whole sorry affair is that I cannot ‘fix’ myself and become an Extrovert Cry. I may as well do myself in right now Cry.

you can go out and practice social skills.  A lot of social people are actually introverts.  There isn't anything wrong with being introverted, it's just an tendency it doesn't determine your life.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #23 - November 29, 2011, 09:43 AM

what's wrong with being an introvert? why do you feel the need to fix it?

Because if I go on like this I will beat the record of the 40 year old virgin someday? Embarrassed
     Reply #24 - November 29, 2011, 09:55 AM

did you even read the article? introvertedness ≠ social awkwardness / shyness.
     Reply #25 - November 29, 2011, 02:10 PM

No, but it does for some.
     Reply #26 - November 29, 2011, 02:25 PM

did you even read the article? introvertedness ≠ social awkwardness / shyness.

oops
     Reply #27 - November 29, 2011, 02:41 PM

No, but it does for some.

no, you're missing the point. you might be both, but you can overcome your shyness. shyness is not an aspect of introvertedness.
     Reply #28 - November 30, 2011, 07:09 PM

Yea, maybe if you are an INTx or ISTx type, but INFx types and ISFx types never usually leave people feeling like they are rude.  We will do social pleasantries because we hate to hurt people so we will fake it. 

Props Berbs! I was curious and I found out I was a INFP, and I was shocked how accurate many of the descriptions of my character were. It honestly explained alot regarding my general character, strengths and weaknesses. mysmilie_977

What are you?
     Reply #29 - November 30, 2011, 07:43 PM

I heard about this one psychology professor who asked his students to fill in a personality questionnaire, and then gave them completely random feedback. The majority of students expressed how accurately it described them...
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »