Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Eid, Celebrations and Traditions for Kids...

(Read 7521 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Eid, Celebrations and Traditions for Kids...
     OP - November 14, 2012, 02:20 AM

i think traditions serve an important role in the lives of children.. when i was muslims i actually really looked forward to ramadan and eid as a child, the sense of togetherness, a sense of  sharing something special with a large number of people, the feeling of belonging is extremely important for kids.. gifts, special dinners, decorating the house,
    and tradition helps shape family identity .. which i think religion has hijacked...

our neighborhood is full of muslims.. so during eid al adha, after explaining very gently what this eid was about, they decided it was not the kind of holiday we wanted to celebrate.. (they make me proud indeed)

but to compensate for these kinds of things.. i've decided to go to the basics..
    so ..
    we celebrate the seasons..
    Winter Solstice is on Friday, December 21, 2012. this year..
    Fall Equinox was on Saturday, September 22, 2012...
    Spring Equinox was on Tuesday, March 20, 2012...
    Summer Solstice occurs around June 21st...

the kids love it.. we have special dinners, bbqs, and we do an activity that suits that season.. for example for winter solstice this year, we are all going sledding , or skating (when the lil get a bit older i plan on taking them for a skiing weekend)..
    and we give out gifts (kind of a secret santa thing cause i'm paying for this parteh)

so .. what kind of celebrations or traditions do you have with your kids??
  • Re: Eid, Celebrations and Traditions for Kids...
     Reply #1 - November 14, 2012, 02:23 AM

Make a Christmas cake for winter solstice. That's what it was before the Christians highjacked it anyway, and the cakes are totally scrumptious. Kids love 'em. dance

I do it over here just because it's a fun thing to do in the middle of winter (we have Christmas as such in summer in the southern hemisphere).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - November 14, 2012, 02:39 AM

I like to celebrate everyday....

Grin

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #3 - November 14, 2012, 07:49 AM

Great idea for a thread and I like your celebrations, if I had kids I would follow your example.

Obv I don't have kids but as a family we only celebrate Christmas (and have done so since I was about Cool, but a secular Christmas where we all get together and eat Christmas dinner and presents under the tree and the rest of it, And of course sending cards out and having people round and all the other stuff. It works for us.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #4 - November 14, 2012, 01:47 PM

i think traditions serve an important role in the lives of children............
    but to compensate for these kinds of things.. i've decided to go to the basics..
    so ..
    we celebrate the seasons..
    Winter Solstice is on Friday, December 21, 2012. this year..
    Fall Equinox was on Saturday, September 22, 2012...
    Spring Equinox was on Tuesday, March 20, 2012...
    Summer Solstice occurs around June 21st...

Way to go Ness.  Afro I love it!

so .. what kind of celebrations or traditions do you have with your kids??

Well I don't have any kids yet. But I was raised Atheist and we still made a big deal out of Christmas, with a tree and presents and Christmas dinner with the family and all that stuff. But I guess it is easier from a European pesrpective to celebrate these things without the religious aspects seeing as religion really plays a pretty minor role in it anyway. In fact the Christmas tree is a very pagan, pre-Christian tradition and has nothing to be with Christianity. In fact the Bible expressly forbids Christmas trees in numerous passages:

Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen....For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and hammers, that it move not
    Jeremiah 10:2-4

You shall not plant any tree as a sacred pole beside the altar that you make for the lord your god.
    Deuteronomy 16:21

Reply #5 - November 14, 2012, 02:09 PM

ha! i didnt know that^..

i always thought the tree was such a fantastic decoration for the house during holidays.. i even considered leaving one up all year and changing up the theme to match the festivities lol..

what do you guys think of picking and choosing holidays from around the world.. for example Diwali (festival of lights)

Make a Christmas cake for winter solstice. That's what it was before the Christians highjacked it anyway, and the cakes are totally scrumptious. Kids love 'em. dance

I do it over here just because it's a fun thing to do in the middle of winter (we have Christmas as such in summer in the southern hemisphere).

i think ima do this  Yummy ive never had a christmas cake before.. but i'm renaming "winter cake"  grin12
     Reply #6 - November 14, 2012, 02:35 PM

ha! i didnt know that^..

i always thought the tree was such a fantastic decoration for the house during holidays.. i even considered leaving one up all year and changing up the theme to match the festivities lol..

what do you guys think of picking and choosing holidays from around the world.. for example Diwali (festival of lights)
     i think ima do this  Yummy ive never had a christmas cake before.. but i'm renaming "winter cake"  grin12

nessrriinn  is Modern "Muhammad."..    Cheesy  

it is OK to pick up some pagan festivals but don't pick up something like this one..

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/kali.htm

That is hell.. it is man killing   machine in woman's form ...   famous in Bangladesh/Bengal hindu community..

.. I like harvest_festivals.. They are only good festivals for eating and drinking.. rest are useless..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - November 14, 2012, 07:23 PM

ZOMFG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Cultural appropriation is racist! You horrible person! Next you'll be wandering around in Victoria's Secret undies and kinky heels n shit!

Ok, do it. dance

i think ima do this  Yummy ive never had a christmas cake before.. but i'm renaming "winter cake"  grin12

I call it "solstice cake" sometimes.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #8 - November 14, 2012, 09:22 PM

I simply view eid and all it's trappings as part of my culture. I have lots of family in the city I live in and because of my busy life, I tend to allocate eid etc to family get together's.
     Reply #9 - November 15, 2012, 04:22 AM

I think celebrating the seasons is great. Its just natural and real to celebrate each season for what it is and what it brings. Id like to do that more in my house. I refuse now to take part in Eid al Adha because of what it represents. I do miss diwali celebrations. I always liked the meaning of that holiday about light overcoming darkness. Diwali was fun growing up and coming from a family that was non religious hindu.

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »