Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The zombie craze has deeper meaning?

(Read 6238 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The zombie craze has deeper meaning?
     OP - October 23, 2011, 05:35 PM

(it says theories under science so it fits Grin )

I don't think the whole "zombie craze" needs me to copy paste an explanation as to what it is, we do live in a zombie obsessed media at the moment.  I love zombie films, books, games etc.  My friend even bought me the zombie survival guide Grin

Well anyway, here is this theory:

...some media critics and cultural commentators have begun to wonder whether this explosion of zombie enthusiasm is, as well as a bit of fun, an expression of something else.

After all, it's often been argued that the boom in sci-fi tales of alien attack in 1950s and 1960s America was in some way an expression of the fear of Soviet invasion.

So what might the current zombie craze tell us about the world we're living in now?

Dr Marcus Leaning, programme leader for media studies at the University of Winchester, believes the shambling mass of rotting flesh now colonising our cultural space is well worthy of academic attention.

"Zombies are incredibly popular, the growth is phenomenal - not only are they in films, TV shows and fan productions on YouTube, but there's a vast growth in books, with zombie survival guides selling very, very well on Amazon," he told me.

"You even see small garden ornaments dressed as zombies - zombie garden gnomes."

In fact, Winchester is soon to become the first university in the UK to offer a study module devoted entirely to zombies.

"We're living through the hardest economic times in most young people's memories," Dr Leaning said.

"Maybe zombies speak to austerity Britain in a way other monsters don't."

Nick Pearce, director of the left-leaning think tank the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR), is a man who spends much of his time reflecting on the interplay of democracy, economy and citizenship.

A man perhaps well qualified then to explore whether art is indeed, in the case of zombies, imitating life.

He gallantly rose to the challenge and was soon attempting to put the flesh on the bones of a theory linking zombies to the underlying social reality.

"Even before the global economic crisis we saw young, unskilled young men finding it much harder to get a foothold in the labour market," he told me, "and since the crisis we've seen a rocketing of youth unemployment."

"There is something in the idea that if you can't see a future, if you don't have a sense of progress for yourself personally, then you are stuck in the present tense, and this would lend itself to the notion of a kind of recurrent nightmare of repeatedly being a living-dead."

In fact, the idea that zombies offer some kind of commentary on the monotony and emptiness of our modern lives can be found in some of the best films of the genre.

In one of the most celebrated scenes from George A Romero's 1978 film, Dawn of the Dead, a couple stand and watch zombies pacing aimlessly through a shopping mall.

"What are they doing? Why do they come here?" the woman asks.

"Some kind of instinct. Memory. What they used to do," comes the reply. "This was an important place in their lives."

Paul Gilding, former chief executive of Greenpeace and author of a new book The Great Disruption, is another thinker happy to engage with the idea that something more profound might lie behind the recent boom in zombie culture.

There's a good reason, he suggested, why the anti-capitalist protesters on Wall Street and elsewhere have sometimes dressed in zombie costumes to underline their point.

"The system is eating itself alive," he said. "The idea that we can have infinite growth on a finite planet is just not physically possible."

"The old system is dead, in this case it's the walking dead. That's why we have this diffuse protest movement, sometimes with very vague demands and expectations, because no-one has the solution. We just know the current
    thing isn't going to work."

So have zombies really been rising in such numbers in recent years because they're a metaphor for our times?

Many of the undead that I bumped into in Brighton would say that that's thinking too hard.

But then what would they know?

They're not supposed to be able to think at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15418899

And if so, what does the craze for vampires say?  that the world is sucking us dry and we must grow out hair, sparkle our skin and suck ir dry back?  Grin

This is actually quite an interesting theory though, gutted its a uni i turned down that is offering the zombie module, would have been quite interesting.

Is there something in these theories or do we just like shooting zombies in games because its fun?

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Re: The zombie craze has deeper meaning?
     Reply #1 - October 23, 2011, 05:41 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if the current zombie trend had something to do with fear of Islamic terrorism - specifically suicide bombers.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - October 23, 2011, 05:48 PM

Maybe, but I think you'd have to look at was happening in the early to mid 2000s when the whole zombie revival really started to take off and analyze it in terms of other cultural trends around that same time.

fuck you
     Reply #3 - October 23, 2011, 05:50 PM

I'm not saying its the sole influence, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was in the mix, especially after 9/11.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #4 - October 23, 2011, 05:56 PM

Maybe, but I think you'd have to look at was happening in the early to mid 2000s when the whole zombie revival really started to take off and analyze it in terms of other cultural trends around that same time.

Or better still let other people do that, and then analyse their results.  Less work for me.  Grin

I always assumed it was just a form of escapism, the more people need to escape, the more fantastical and far fetched the entertainment they enjoy.  Its not just zombies or vampires that is seeing a revival, magical films too are quite highly rated, again for the escapism factor.

I always assumed that is how a movie reflected its time, interesting to see that the sort of supernatural entity of enemy could have a deeper meaning. 

Reply #5 - October 23, 2011, 05:57 PM

what a great movie idea... terrorists bomb shit,
    and the chemicals from those bombs turn the
    victims into zombies, that go after the terrorists
    and eat their brrrrrrrains!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #6 - October 23, 2011, 05:59 PM

And then the magog come down in their huge ships....

Reply #7 - October 23, 2011, 06:25 PM

I'm reading it with my middle child.  he loves and is terrified by all this stuff.  Nothing cuter than his wide eyed terror as we discuss the best methods to chop a zombie to bits.  Grin

Reply #8 - October 23, 2011, 06:26 PM

This must be a reflection of his unhappiness with his socioeconomic conditions.   Lmao

Reply #9 - October 23, 2011, 06:37 PM

Some might say that makes me a bad mum.  Grin

Reply #10 - October 23, 2011, 08:19 PM

I see zombies everywhere i go.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #11 - October 23, 2011, 09:19 PM

Reply #12 - October 24, 2011, 03:45 AM

my personal theory is that in man's early history, his DNA was
    hardwired to be on edge, adrenalin pumping, cuz things like
    short faced bears, wolves, smiladon, and other scary creatures
    were always lookin for a snack (and we were on the menu).

Over time, we no longer have to fear these things, but we still
    crave to have our adrenalin pumping, and fear is part of that
    process. Hence, entertaining fear.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #13 - July 25, 2012, 03:08 PM

k this fits here... (a must watch)

zombies really do exist.. they do!! i present zombie snails
    bloody fascinating !!!

http://www.youtube.com/​watch?v=EWB_COSUXMw

and the attack of the fungi!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8
  • The zombie craze has deeper meaning?
     Reply #14 - August 19, 2015, 06:07 PM

Bump. popcorn

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »