Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Are you a Chav? Take The Chav Test!

(Read 22952 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Are you a Chav? Take The Chav Test!
     Reply #30 - October 14, 2011, 06:45 PM

57%  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I do know someone who has been on trisha.

White classic reebok trainers LOL I used to have far too many.  They had to be new white know what I mean?

I out chav you all.   cool2

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #31 - October 14, 2011, 07:07 PM

Hell yeah I'm a chav!

*takes test*

Only 33%? Oh.
     Reply #32 - October 14, 2011, 07:40 PM

26% chav. But it included stupid things like ‘Have you ever smoked hash?’ Once I left the confines of my university and joined the ‘real world’, I found that most people smoke or have smoked hash, weed, etc. Also, ‘ever’ having done things like drink Stella or eaten a Pot Noodle does not make you a chav. There’s a big difference between doing something once or twice and doing it continually.

I do know someone who has been on trisha.

Me too. I work in Customer Service, so I deal with a lot of people from different backgrounds. I remember seeing a woman on Trisha (I was off sick from work, no really!) and thought she looked familiar. I couldn’t understand it because I don’t actually watch programmes like that. Had I seen her on before? Then her daughter came out with a problem and I realised I had seen them come to our office. Her boyfriend thought she was cheating on him because she had walked up to the post office with another man Cheesy.
     Reply #33 - October 14, 2011, 07:54 PM

Cheesy Cheesy

Well for me it was a very close friend who went on to Trisha to enter a competition to get a boob job.  She didn't win but I got some LOL's watching her video.   Cheesy Cheesy  Which is still a win in my eyes.

Oh, and I don't even like pot noodles too tough, only in an emergency and then you really really have to convince me to eat it.

But I love pot noodle adverts.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

They make me want to eat more pot noodle.

Reply #34 - October 14, 2011, 07:56 PM

Ok... someone please tell us non-brits... what is the meaning of "went on Trisha"??!

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #35 - October 14, 2011, 08:01 PM

It’s like an extremely poor and shite version of Jerry Springer. Without all the excitement and trash that makes Springer awful, but compulsive, viewing.

Oh, and I don't even like pot noodles too tough, only in an emergency and then you really really have to convince me to eat it.

But I love pot noodle adverts.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

They make me want to eat more pot noodle.

I remember an episode of Red Dwarf where something had created a ‘perfect’ version of the ship and the crew. The boys from the Dwarf went aboard and, to test its perfection, ordered a Pot Noodle from the replicator. That it was edible was conclusive proof of the ship’s perfection! Cheesy
     Reply #36 - October 14, 2011, 08:02 PM

Like going on jerry springer but just a tad less shameful, although still shameful Tongue

Reply #37 - October 14, 2011, 08:04 PM

Ah ok Cheesy

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #38 - October 14, 2011, 08:08 PM

Ok this is nowhere near as awful as the Jerry Springer show Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxifmyYcOws

Reply #39 - October 14, 2011, 08:15 PM

That is actually a pisstake. Those aren’t real characters! Cheesy

Vicky Pollard!
     Reply #40 - October 14, 2011, 09:13 PM

I'm 35% chav, but some of the questions are stupid! You don't have to be a chav to  call pudding "dessert", or to have smoked hash, or to know straight men who wear an earing, or to have pissed in the street, or to have stolen something from a shop!

As far as the high street lagers are concerned, its not the worst, but then thats not a really high standard.

A cold, cold Stella on a hot day is kind of refreshing.

I thought Red Stripe was the Chav choice of lager, but then thats more expensive.

I would rather drink Stella than the likes of Carling or Fosters but that doesn't say much. I would say it is a pretty standard premium lager; nothing to write home about, not much flavour at all. I much prefer German, Czech or Polish beers, particularly Pilsner. You can't beat a good pils.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #41 - October 15, 2011, 01:12 AM

Like going on jerry springer but just a tad less shameful, although still shameful Tongue

I knew someone on Springer. Had that been the question I may have shamefully tied you for chaviness. Strange how while many of the questions are exclusive to Brits some are general enough to get me to the 50% mark.

fuck you
     Reply #42 - October 15, 2011, 01:27 AM

Dickhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JMabD1QHSg

and im not talkin bout the chav Smiley

n = 0 : n + [1,1,1...]
     Reply #43 - October 15, 2011, 01:52 AM

Jeremy Kyle is hilarious. He starts off so nice when he talks to them at the start, sitting on the chair next to them. Then he starts their segment, sits on the steps and yells at everyone. “You amœba of a man!”
     Reply #44 - October 15, 2011, 08:28 AM

It's a yuppie drink here.  wacko

Having had to deal with North American bath-water more than a few times this year I can attest that Stella can be a sight for sore eyes. Wink

Yeah I think that's correct. Wonder what the root of the word "chav" is.

I don't think anyone actually knows for sure, but if you ask the average person they'd probably reply with something along the lines of, "Council House And Violent."

I think that's what the original meaning was, but in recent times I've seen the word being tastelessly used as a slur against people from poorer backgrounds in general -- usually by the Daily Mail crowd.

+1

If I don't want to be a "Chav" I shouldn't refer to my Grandmother as "nan"? Really?

The way in which that loaded term morphs into revulsion of working class culture and habits is clear when laid out in such a way. I'd recommend checking out Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class by Owen Jones for anyone who's interested in understanding how the term came about and how its usage has created a corrosive social stigmatisation of an underpriveliged section of society:
    In modern Britain, the working class has become an object of fear and ridicule. From Little Britains Vicky Pollard to the demonization of Jade Goody, media and politicians alike dismiss as feckless, criminalized and ignorant a vast, underprivileged swathe of society whose members have become stereotyped by one, hate-filled word: chavs. In this groundbreaking investigation, Owen Jones explores how the working class has gone from salt of the earth to scum of the earth. Exposing the ignorance and prejudice at the heart of the chav caricature, one based on the medias inexhaustible obsession with an indigent white underclass, he portrays a far more complex reality. Moving through Westminsters lobbies and working-class communities from Dagenham to Dewsbury Moor, Jones reveals the increasing poverty and desperation of communities made precarious by wrenching social and industrial change, and all but abandoned by the aspirational, society-fragmenting policies of Thatcherism and New Labour. The chav stereotype, he argues, is used by governments as a convenient figleaf to avoid genuine engagement with social and economic problems, and to justify widening inequality. Based on a wealth of original research, and wide-ranging interviews with media figures, political opinion-formers and workers, Chavs is a damning indictment of the media and political establishment, and an illuminating, disturbing portrait of inequality and class hatred in modern Britain.

Dickhead.

Kyle is vile.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #45 - October 15, 2011, 06:53 PM

Having had to deal with North American bath-water more than a few times this year I can attest that Stella can be a sight for sore eyes. Wink

Hey Canadian beers are different, mmkay? Wink

The way in which that loaded term morphs into revulsion of working class culture and habits is clear when laid out in such a way. I'd recommend checking out Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class by Owen Jones for anyone who's interested in understanding how the term came about and how its usage has created a corrosive social stigmatisation of an underpriveliged section of society.

Thanks, I will check out that book.

Totally agree with the class-war, demonization of working-classes analysis. A parallel discourse exists in North American (esp. US but also Canadian) politics, which has resulted in the divorcing of working-class issues from what are perceived to be "liberal" politics. A good book that probably contains similar insights as the one you posted is Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War by Joe Bageant.

Reply #46 - October 15, 2011, 08:40 PM

I'm 24% chav.
     Reply #47 - October 15, 2011, 09:06 PM

Yeah I think that's correct. Wonder what the root of the word "chav" is.

The origin of the word isn't known for sure!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

A chav (play /ˈtʃæv/ chav) is a stereotype of certain people in the United Kingdom. Also known as a charver in Yorkshire and North East England "chavs" are said to be aggressive and arrogant teenagers and young adults, of underclass background, who repeatedly engage in anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdiness, or other forms of juvenile delinquency.

The Oxford University Press has said that the word is "generally thought to come from Chatham girls", but, according to etymologist Michael Quinion, the term probably has its origins in the Romani word "chavi", meaning "child" (or "chavo", meaning "boy", or "chavvy", meaning "youth"). This word may have entered the English language through the Geordie dialect word charva, meaning a rough child. This is similar to the colloquial Spanish word chaval, meaning "kid" or "guy". Unlike the Geordie variant, the term derived from Chatham can be applied loosely to every culture with a nasty, thieving element.

The derivative chavette has been used to refer to females. The adjectives "chavish" and "chavtastic" apply to stuff designed for or suitable for use by Chavs.

Many urban legends have sprung up around the etymology of the word. These include the backronym "Council Housed And Violent" or "Council House-Associated Vermin", and the suggestion that pupils at Cheltenham Ladies' College and Cheltenham College used the word to describe the young men of the town ("Cheltenham Average"). However, Quinion writes that "we must treat supposed acronymic origins with the greatest suspicion; these examples are definitely recent after-the-event inventions as attempts to explain the word, though very widely known and believed."

By 2005, media references to 'Chavs' had spread the word throughout Britain. The Chav's cultural equivalents are: in Ireland - "Skanger", Scotland - "Ned" and East Anglia - "Yarco".

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #48 - October 15, 2011, 09:09 PM

The way in which that loaded term morphs into revulsion of working class culture and habits is clear when laid out in such a way. I'd recommend checking out Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class by Owen Jones for anyone who's interested in understanding how the term came about and how its usage has created a corrosive social stigmatisation of an underpriveliged section of society:Kyle is vile.

That book sounds good.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #49 - October 15, 2011, 09:15 PM

I don't know why you had to "deal with it"-- unless the place you're going to is a run-down kinda bar you can almost always find good smaller-batch American beer that's as good as anything you get in the UK-- not like anyone was forcing you to drink Bud, Miller, Molson or whatever limey  Roll Eyes Besides, a Bud will get you just as drunk as most higher-quality beers, so quit complaining.

Hey Canadian beers are different, mmkay? Wink

Yeah right-- your big name beers like Molson and Labatt ain't much better than our big name beers.

Totally agree with the class-war, demonization of working-classes analysis. A parallel discourse exists in North American (esp. US but also Canadian) politics, which has resulted in the divorcing of working-class issues from what are perceived to be "liberal" politics. A good book that probably contains similar insights as the one you posted is Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War by Joe Bageant.

There was a bumper sticker I used to see in the 90s that read "Work Harder! Millions on welfare are depending on you!" Never saw one on a Mercedes, always on some broken down heap obviously owned by someone who was one paycheck away from collecting state benefits themselves. It's fuckin perverse.

fuck you
     Reply #50 - October 15, 2011, 09:28 PM

24%

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #51 - October 15, 2011, 09:37 PM

your big name beers like Molson and Labatt ain't much better than our big name beers.

Touché.

There was a bumper sticker I used to see in the 90s that read "Work Harder! Millions on welfare are depending on you!" Never saw one on a Mercedes, always on some broken down heap obviously owned by someone who was one paycheck away from collecting state benefits themselves. It's fuckin perverse.

Divide and conquer. Keep 'em fighting among themselves and they won't band together and come after you.

A recent conversation on facebook:

An old friend of mine from Florida:
    Thank you Florida, Kentucky, and Missouri, for being the first states that will require drug testing when applying for welfare. Some people are bitchin' about it and calling this unconstitutional. How is this unconstitutional? It's OK to drug test people who work for their money but not those who don't?… Re-post this if you'd like to see this done in all 50 states!!

Me:
    Do they test wall street investment bankers for cocaine, too? Or is it just poor people? What about politicians? They earn a living entirely off of tax-payers, including cushy health care packages, unlike most tax-payers. When will it become mandatory for politicians, lawyers, bankers, financiers and CEOs to be tested for cocaine, alcoholism, prescription drug abuse, etc.? They together have stolen way more from the average citizen than all the homeless and welfare recipients combined.

This is someone who has been through so much shit in her life, has been homeless, been a foster child, a crack addict, been raped, given birth to a rape baby who was taken away from her, been arrested, been on welfare, now works 2-3 jobs at a time while being in and out of one abusive relationship after another. For her to post something like this was just... fuckin' sad.

Reply #52 - October 15, 2011, 10:06 PM

Well maybe she thinks when she was on welfare she woulda been better off being drug tested. Not too much different than a friend of mine who supported drug laws cause he thinks landing in prison on drug charges helped him clean up his act. And the fact she just keeps ending up in abusive relationships might mean she's the type of person who feels like she needs others to tell her how to live and what to do. But I dunno-- she's your friend, not mine.

Still, her ignorance of Constitutional issues isn't very forgivable in my mind-- so many people talk about "Constitutionality" that haven't a fuckin clue what they're talking about and it annoys the shit out of me-- she really can't see the difference between a government and an employer drug-testing people? Not that I support either, but the former has a relationship to someone's 4th Amendment rights and the latter does not. I mean how can you deny something is "unconstitutional" when you don't even realize what the basis of the unconstitutionality claim is?  It's like me protesting that something isn't plausible in quantum theory (cause I have no fuckin clue what quantum theory is beyond it being some particle physics shit that's way over my head). Roll Eyes

fuck you
     Reply #53 - October 15, 2011, 10:15 PM

Well maybe she thinks when she was on welfare she woulda been better off being drug tested. Not too much different than a friend of mine who supported drug laws cause he thinks landing in prison on drug charges helped him clean up his act. And the fact she just keeps ending up in abusive relationships might mean she's the type of person who feels like she needs others to tell her how to live and what to do. But I dunno-- she's your friend, not mine.

Yeah she's pretty screwed up, but having been in the position of being homeless and in need of help, it's interesting that there is that lack of empathy for others who may now be going through similar problems she herself went through. I've tried helping her, talking to her over the years, but it's one of those things where she keeps repeating the same pattern of mistakes (getting into relationships with people who end up abusing her).

Still, her ignorance of Constitutional issues isn't very forgivable in my mind-- so many people talk about "Constitutionality" that haven't a fuckin clue what they're talking about and it annoys the shit out of me-- she really can't see the difference between a government and an employer drug-testing people? Not that I support either, but the former has a relationship to someone's 4th Amendment rights and the latter does not. I mean how can you deny something is "unconstitutional" when you don't even realize what the basis of the unconstitutionality claim is?  It's like me protesting that something isn't plausible in quantum theory (cause I have no fuckin clue what quantum theory is beyond it being some particle physics shit that's way over my head). Roll Eyes

Yeah and in Florida, they are making welfare recipients pay for their own drug tests, which are reportedly coming back negative a huge majority of the time. It's just cruelty, and of course keeps the "war on drugs" scam going. I don't think this woman I posted about knows a single word of the US Constitution, in any case.

Reply #54 - October 16, 2011, 06:51 AM

I don't even know what half the questions are referring to. Cheesy

20%, even though what Os said.  Cheesy

I tried my best.  Tongue

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #55 - October 16, 2011, 10:11 AM

26%.

But why is calling the sofa a 'settee' considered chavish? C'mon... SERIOUSLY?

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #56 - October 16, 2011, 11:07 AM

You are 54% chav!

LOL

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #57 - October 16, 2011, 11:18 AM

I don't know you anymore...

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #58 - October 16, 2011, 11:29 AM

lol :( im sadder than ur cat

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #59 - October 19, 2011, 04:02 AM

lol :( im sadder than ur cat

I'm pretty sad.

I took the emo one too and got 64%.  sad

Now frightened to take the geek one.

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »