Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Iran faction plotted to kill Saudi ambassador

(Read 4452 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Iran faction plotted to kill Saudi ambassador
     OP - October 11, 2011, 08:31 PM

WASHINGTON — Two men allegedly working for "factions of the Iranian government" have been charged with plotting to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the U.S. and to attack the Saudi and Israeli embassies, Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday.

The criminal complaint, unsealed Tuesday in federal court in New York City, identified the two as Manssor Arbabsiar and Gholam Shakuri.

Holder said Arbabsiar, who was arrested on Sept. 29 in New York, was working for the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard and had confessed to a plot.

Shakuri, who is based in Iran, remains at large, Holder said. He allegedly is a member of Iran's Quds Force, a special unit of the Revolutionary Guard.

Both are originally from Iran and Arbabsiar, 56, is a naturalized U.S. citizen, the complaint said.

Shortly after the announcement, the Treasury Department announced that U.S. citizens are barred from any financial dealings with the two suspects and three others, all Revolutionary Guard officials.

Iran's English language Press TV quoted an Iranian official as countering that the charges are "a prefabricated scenario."
    Image: Saudi ambassador
    Nicholas Kamm  /  AFP - Getty Images
    Saudi Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir was the target of an alleged plot by Iran's Revolutionary Guard, the U.S. said Tuesday.

The indictment is the result of a sting operation conducted by the FBI, Holder said.

The case started when Arbabsiar, who lived in Texas, allegedly made contact with an undercover DEA informant in Mexico and asked for assistance from a major drug cartel to assassinate the ambassador, Adel al-Jubeir, at a restaurant that he frequented. Sources told NBC News that the group being recruited was the Zetas cartel.

No assasination attempt was ever made, and no one was ever in any danger, officials said.

"This case illustrates that we live in a world where borders and boundaries are increasingly irrelevant," said FBI Director Robert Mueller. "A world where individuals from one country sought to conspire with a drug trafficking cartel in another country to assassinate a foreign official on United States soil. And though it reads like the pages of a Hollywood script, the impact would have been very real and many lives would have been lost."

A Justice Department statement said Arbabsiar claimed he was being directed by his cousin in Iran, described as a "big general" in the Iranian military and within the Quds Force.

Arbabsiar allegedly wired $100,000 to the informant as a down payment on a $1.5 million assassination fee.

Other sources told ABC News that he reportedly told the informant that Iran could provide "tons of opium" to the Zetas.

Arbabsiar was to make a first court appearance later Tuesday. He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted.
    View complaint in alleged plot to kill Saudi ambassador (PDF)

The Quds Force was designated a terrorist group by the United States in 2007, in part because of alleged support of the Taliban and other extremist groups.

A senior U.S. official told NBC News that U.S. intelligence has a "high-degree" of confidence that the "Quds Force at the highest levels" was involved in the alleged plot and that this was not some "rogue operation."

President Barack Obama was first briefed on the alleged plot in June, said White House spokesman Tommy Vietor."The disruption of this plot is a significant achievement by our intelligence and law enforcement agencies, and the president is enormously grateful for their exceptional work in this instance and countless others," Vietor said.

Source
  • Re: Iran faction plotted to kill Saudi ambassador
     Reply #1 - October 11, 2011, 08:36 PM

Hmm. Not surprising. Getting a third party to hit a person on someone else's soil is a classic way of doing assassinations. The Saudis and Iranians hate each other's guts anyway. I wouldn't be at all amazed if the Saudis had tried something similar (or will, now).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - October 11, 2011, 09:27 PM

The Saudis have in the past have kidnapped or help kidnap Iranian citizens. But an ambassador? In the US? Those Mullahs seem to be getting crazier  wacko

The Saudis were informed two weeks ago

A major variable in the response, officials said, is how Saudi Arabia might react. The White House national security advisor, Thomas E. Donilon, informed King Abdullah of the plot two weeks ago, in a three-hour meeting held in Saudi Arabia.

On Tuesday, Abdullah Alshamri, a Saudi official in Riyadh, predicted that the disclosure would send Iranian-Saudi relations to “their lowest point yet.” Though the Saudi government had yet to take any steps, Mr. Alshamri suggested that a diplomatic row was inevitable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/us/us-accuses-iranians-of-plotting-to-kill-saudi-envoy.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2
     Reply #3 - October 11, 2011, 09:29 PM

"On Tuesday, Abdullah Alshamri, a Saudi official in Riyadh, predicted that the disclosure would send Iranian-Saudi relations to 'their lowest point yet.' Though the Saudi government had yet to take any steps, Mr. Alshamri suggested that a diplomatic row was inevitable."

No sense of humour, those Saudis. Roll Eyes

Reply #4 - October 11, 2011, 10:46 PM

The Saudis have the "Holy Ka'ba" that the Iranians have to visit - and they really make life difficult for the Shi'a and wind them up something rotten.

If I was Shi'a I'd make my own Ka'ba in Tehran and say fuck you.

Reply #5 - October 11, 2011, 11:37 PM

This is crazy. Are the mullahs really that mad to sanction something like this?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #6 - October 11, 2011, 11:54 PM

Are the mullahs really that mad............?

Think about this. Smiley

Reply #7 - October 11, 2011, 11:56 PM

Sure, but something like this could spark a war - including a Saudi / Sunni versus Iran conflict.

But yeah, you're right.

God is Love.

Reply #8 - October 12, 2011, 12:00 AM

It's no stupider than a lot of things that other countries (US, UK, Israel, etc) have done in the not too distant past.

Reply #9 - October 12, 2011, 12:06 AM

Sure, but something like this could spark a war - including a Saudi / Sunni versus Iran conflict.

Sunnis hate the saudi royal family as much as the Iranians.
     Reply #10 - October 12, 2011, 12:08 AM

Wouldn't there be a risk of any conflict between SA and Iran becoming tinted with the Sunni - Shia brush? I meant on a state level.

God is Love.

Reply #11 - October 12, 2011, 12:18 AM

Is it not beyond the bounds of possibility that the Iranians were going to try to make it look like the work of an American in an attempt to destabilise the relationship between the two countries? It's ridiculous to think it would work obviously, but it#s definitely not quite as far fetched as some of the conspiracy crazinesses that they have concocted in the past

I've been driven mad trying to prove my sanity
     Reply #12 - October 12, 2011, 12:29 AM

I can't see this going down with Iranian sanction.  Having an untrained contact make contact with an unknown third party to assassinate your regional rival's diplomat. That's hugely reckless, and we may think Iran is crazy, but they aren't stupid.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #13 - October 12, 2011, 10:29 AM

Wouldn't there be a risk of any conflict between SA and Iran becoming tinted with the Sunni - Shia brush? I meant on a state level.

The Saudi Royal Family are too chicken to go to war with anyone.
     Reply #14 - October 12, 2011, 12:10 PM

The Saudi Royal Family are too chicken to go to war with anyone

There is hostility between the states that manifests itself in proxy though, jostling for influence, sectarian tensions. For example, as I understand it the recent Bahrain protests saw this proxy tension playing out in terms of advocacy and support along Sunni - Shia lines there.

The point is, if this mooted assasination was sanctioned by Iran, and it seems so perplexingly bizarre and brazen, it would risk inflaming and escalating that kind of thing.

God is Love.

Reply #15 - October 12, 2011, 04:44 PM

The Saudis have the "Holy Ka'ba" that the Iranians have to visit - and they really make life difficult for the Shi'a and wind them up something rotten.

If I was Shi'a I'd make my own Ka'ba in Tehran and say fuck you.

They already have   Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn53sOgIFZY

The Saudis are not shy of using military when they need to, the attacks on Houthi fighters in Yemen and their military going into Bahrain are proof of that. If a war between Iran and Saudi did happen, Iran would find itself shunned by even sunnis it has some sort of ties with. Also the Saudis don't fund the Pakistani military because they love Pakistanis  Tongue Any attack on Saudi means using the "Islamic bomb"  whistling2
     Reply #16 - October 12, 2011, 05:01 PM

Hmm. Not surprising. Getting a third party to hit a person on someone else's soil is a classic way of doing assassinations.

Yeah but this is retarded.

Okay, first off, no drug cartel would make a hit like that cause they gain nothing from it organizationally and only stand to have the US send in special forces to kill the cartel leaders just like they did with Escobar. Every cartel leader knows what happened to Escobar and would have to be a total idiot not to realize aiding Iran in assassinating a diplomat on US soil would result in the same thing happening to them.

Second, there is no way anyone would believe that a fuckin drug cartel would kill a Saudi diplomat in the US and attack their and Israel's embassies on their own accord. Iran would immediately be suspected.

Third, I don't see what Iran stands to gain from such an act. Most political assassinations carried out by intelligence services serve an immediate organizational/strategic purpose-- for example toppling a government hostile to your interests, or when it comes to assassinating diplomats-- derailing peace talks between two countries you don't want to see make peace (e.g. numerous assassinations of Palestinian diplomats both by the Mossad and Arab intelligence services and the Palestinians themselves), or killing a known spy. Killing a diplomat just to make a statement is pure terrorism, and while state intelligence services have supported pure terrorism before, unless it's in the context of regional destabilization, it's rarely gained them much (don't see how Libya benefited from any of its terrorism sponsorship, or East Germany).

fuck you
     Reply #17 - October 12, 2011, 11:32 PM

You might have point there Q.

Amateur or reckless?
    Observers focus on two main questions.

Firstly, why would the Quds Force use Mr Arbabsiar as its principal agent for what would have been one of the boldest operations in its history?

Reports say that he has a criminal record in Texas for evading arrest and theft.

"I would be surprised if the Quds Force used such an unreliable asset in its operations given his track record," Prof Lucas.

Secondly, why would the Quds Force believe that a Mexican drug cartel would be prepared to carry out a bomb attack in Washington?

Mexican drug cartels are multi-billion dollar businesses interested in self-preservation. Carrying out a major attack in Washington DC for the relatively small sum of $1.5m would risk bringing the US military on to the cartels' own ground in Mexico.

It may be that the Quds Force is more amateur or reckless in the planning of its operations than previously thought.

But many will want an answer to a simple question: why would this special branch of the Revolutionary Guards seek such a dramatic change in the way that it operates?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15280746

This could be one of those "OMG Saddam's about to invade you too" moments. Only the enemy today is Iran and not Iraq  whistling2
     Reply #18 - October 13, 2011, 01:15 AM

Iran cannot last as it is. This only shortens its lifespan.

Interested in Buddhism? Check out http://www.accesstoinsight.org/!
    Consider Nalanda University, and never let it happen again.
     Reply #19 - October 13, 2011, 08:54 PM

Iran’s leaders marshaled a furious formal rejection on Wednesday of the United States accusations that the Islamic republic had schemed to assassinate the Saudi ambassador in Washington, calling the case a cynical fabrication meant to vilify Iran and distract Americans from their own severe economic problems, highlighted by the Occupy Wall Street movement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/world/middleeast/iran-sees-terror-plot-accusation-as-diversion-from-wall-street-protests.html?pagewanted=2&ref=world
     Reply #20 - October 13, 2011, 09:18 PM

Even when they are formal Iran trolls  Cheesy

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
     Reply #21 - October 14, 2011, 12:45 PM

I think they've got a point tbh, why make it public now?
     Reply #22 - October 14, 2011, 02:18 PM

I doubt the FBI, white house, or even the local mayors take the OWS protests seriously. Especially serious enough  to make up a ' directed by David Lynch' crazy kind of assassination plot.  More likely imo it was some random dude whose cousin worked for Iran and who had some money who came up with a crazy idea and ran into an informant who, in the great FBI DEA tradition, probably encouraged the hell out of it even though an actual plot had 0% chance of ever happening. What's Iran going to say? ' you know  that uncle Lenny he's a crazy guy'.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »