Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Greetings from Toronto eh!

(Read 5146 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Greetings from Toronto eh!
     OP - October 11, 2011, 12:23 PM

Hey all, another Canadian dropping by to say hi!  Afro I found this site while browing the ex-muslim section of reddit and decided to drop by. A little about myself...straight male, mid 20's, born in Canada, a Sunni muslim to Pakistani parents with an extremely large extended family all living in the greater Toronto area. I consider myself a closet agnostic atheist (I've only told a select few irl), so I often have to pretend I am muslim for the most part. I often think of coming out but only see negative repercussions and nothing good.

There are many reasons why I don't come out to family (like many here). I've got a decent relationship with them and I'm close to a lot of my family members, who for the most part are very liberal Muslims (some even drink, do drugs, etc). I know coming out them would break their hearts and I probably would risk being alienated. I also recently graduated uni (only a handful in my family have) but still no career with a crappy job (may consider going back) so I have little to support myself. My father is deeply religious and he worked hard to provide for us, although I never really had much of a relationship with him...plus he always drags me along to Friday prayers whenever he can even though I loathe it. finmad

Anyhow, the more educated I became, the more doubts about Islam (and religion in general) started creeping in. And when I mean more educated, I mean through exposure to the vast information of the internet and access to the wisdom of some of mankind's greatest thinkers.

Growing up as a kid, I was always mindful of what I did because of the Islamic doctrine drilled into my head. I actually would attend a mosque for lessons 2 hours every weekday from kindergarten to grade 8, so naturally I was always mindful of "god" most of the time. I mean telling a young kid that they were going to burn in hell repeatedly for doing or thinking certain things tends to have that affect. Contradictions and unanswered questions would occasionally cause doubts in the back of my mind but I didn't dwell too hard on such matters. Even as I grew older, subjects such as the universe and evolution wouldn't really cause big enough doubt because I simply thought this was man's way of explaining Allah's creations (I guess I wanted religion and science to both be right Roll Eyes).

What ultimately led me to doubt Islam (and religion) were influences by (and  I'm sure a lot of people here are fans of) George Carlin, Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan and Penn Jillete, to name a few. As I said before, if it weren't for this wonderful thing called the internet that I browsed as a bored teenager I most likely wouldn't have found these free thinkers and what they had to say about the world. I'm glad I live in a time such as this (I know how corny that sounds) because I most likely would have been stuck in a mental prison.

Phew, now that that's out of the way, I'm just glad to be here and hope to make tons of friends with fine like minded individuals. Yay!  cheers

"Live a good life. If there are god(s) and they are just, you will be rewarded based on virtue. If they're unjust, then you shouldn't want to worship them. If there are no gods, you will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of others."

-Re-interpretation of Marcus Aurelius
  • Re: Greetings from Toronto eh!
     Reply #1 - October 11, 2011, 12:26 PM

Welcome ! parrot

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #2 - October 11, 2011, 12:27 PM

I have no idea why I gave you a parrot. Giving you a virtual parrot can neither do you any good nor any harm, I do it simply because I once saw the prophet (saaws) give someone a parrot.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #3 - October 11, 2011, 12:41 PM

Welcome Smiley

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #4 - October 11, 2011, 01:16 PM

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers Ozonedance Ozonedance

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #5 - October 11, 2011, 01:23 PM

hey! welcome Smiley

I think a lot of us were brought here by google. Verily google guides whom it wills!

Reply #6 - October 11, 2011, 02:38 PM

Welcome to our wonderful haven, you're gonna be addicted to this place in no time and your pure mind will be corrupted by our wonderful distinctive members, so hold on tight, you're in for a crazy ride.  Cheesy

Oh and it's tradition to give parrots! Silly tradition but one we must follow. Old geezer 

parrot turnipovich signwelcome turnipovich parrot
     Reply #7 - October 11, 2011, 02:58 PM

Welcome Canadian, and have a good time on this forum! If you like to come out, please do it very, very slowly... wil be better for you!
    parrot sloshed Old geezer signwelcome ghost Monty python

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #8 - October 11, 2011, 04:27 PM

Welcome!

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #9 - October 11, 2011, 04:58 PM

Consider Buddhism. Zen Buddhism was founded by a Pakistani (Bodhidharma). AS a Buddhist you may keep Ramadan (Buddhist monks likewise engage in partial fasting), wear a hijab if necessary, and abstain from Alcohol. There is no need to buy suspicious texts in this era. Access to Insight (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/) offers much information about Buddhism, including original scriptures) for free download. Take what you will and gain a better attitude towards the World. Buddhism is beneficial to all! far away hug

Interested in Buddhism? Check out http://www.accesstoinsight.org/!
    Consider Nalanda University, and never let it happen again.
     Reply #10 - October 11, 2011, 05:01 PM

Welcome Smiley

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #11 - October 11, 2011, 06:01 PM

Welcome fellow Canadian! Smiley

Consider Buddhism. Zen Buddhism was founded by a Pakistani (Bodhidharma). AS a Buddhist you may keep Ramadan (Buddhist monks likewise engage in partial fasting), wear a hijab if necessary, and abstain from Alcohol. There is no need to buy suspicious texts in this era. Access to Insight (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/) offers much information about Buddhism, including original scriptures) for free download. Take what you will and gain a better attitude towards the World. Buddhism is beneficial to all! far away hug

As mentioned in your intro thread, please refrain from preaching/promoting a particular religion unless asked. And posting a particular website over and over can be considered spam.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #12 - October 11, 2011, 09:43 PM

Welcome, agentwar Smiley
     Reply #13 - October 11, 2011, 10:32 PM

Yayyy another fellow torontonian dance

Welcome TO CEMB Afro

井の中の蛙大海を知らず。
    (I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu)
    A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
     Reply #14 - October 12, 2011, 02:59 AM

Hi agentwar, didn't read through the whole post, but that's only because you like SF so I know you're cool.  Tongue

Welcome to the forums and have a rabbit!  bunny

Edit: On further reading, I've found your situation reminds me a lot of my own. Hang tough man.  far away hug

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #15 - October 12, 2011, 03:14 AM

Hey all, another Canadian dropping by to say hi!  Afro I found this site while browing the ex-muslim section of reddit and decided to drop by. A little about myself...straight male, mid 20's, born in Canada, a Sunni muslim to Pakistani parents with an extremely large extended family all living in the greater Toronto area. I consider myself a closet agnostic atheist (I've only told a select few irl), so I often have to pretend I am muslim for the most part. I often think of coming out but only see negative repercussions and nothing good.

There are many reasons why I don't come out to family (like many here). I've got a decent relationship with them and I'm close to a lot of my family members, who for the most part are very liberal Muslims (some even drink, do drugs, etc). I know coming out them would break their hearts and I probably would risk being alienated. I also recently graduated uni (only a handful in my family have) but still no career with a crappy job (may consider going back) so I have little to support myself. My father is deeply religious and he worked hard to provide for us, although I never really had much of a relationship with him...plus he always drags me along to Friday prayers whenever he can even though I loathe it. finmad

Anyhow, the more educated I became, the more doubts about Islam (and religion in general) started creeping in. And when I mean more educated, I mean through exposure to the vast information of the internet and access to the wisdom of some of mankind's greatest thinkers.

Growing up as a kid, I was always mindful of what I did because of the Islamic doctrine drilled into my head. I actually would attend a mosque for lessons 2 hours every weekday from kindergarten to grade 8, so naturally I was always mindful of "god" most of the time. I mean telling a young kid that they were going to burn in hell repeatedly for doing or thinking certain things tends to have that affect. Contradictions and unanswered questions would occasionally cause doubts in the back of my mind but I didn't dwell too hard on such matters. Even as I grew older, subjects such as the universe and evolution wouldn't really cause big enough doubt because I simply thought this was man's way of explaining Allah's creations (I guess I wanted religion and science to both be right Roll Eyes).

What ultimately led me to doubt Islam (and religion) were influences by (and  I'm sure a lot of people here are fans of) George Carlin, Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan and Penn Jillete, to name a few. As I said before, if it weren't for this wonderful thing called the internet that I browsed as a bored teenager I most likely wouldn't have found these free thinkers and what they had to say about the world. I'm glad I live in a time such as this (I know how corny that sounds) because I most likely would have been stuck in a mental prison.

Phew, now that that's out of the way, I'm just glad to be here and hope to make tons of friends with fine like minded individuals. Yay!  cheers

Hey how's it going. Ever been out west, you know.. the good part of Canada?

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #16 - October 12, 2011, 04:36 AM

hello!! I am from the greater toronto area as well and also from pakistan  dance  dude the GTA brown people are too religious here but o well. good to hear from you, stick around !!

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #17 - October 12, 2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Glad to see some fellow Canadians and GTA residents here as well. To answer your question JC, I haven't really explored much of Canada beyond Niagara, Ottawa and Montreal, at least not yet. If I'm on the west coast I'll know who to call though.  cheers Also, I couldn't agree more canex, but I hang in there lol. I think we should organize some sort of meetup in the future..I don't know when and where but we should! 13

"Live a good life. If there are god(s) and they are just, you will be rewarded based on virtue. If they're unjust, then you shouldn't want to worship them. If there are no gods, you will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of others."

Reply #18 - October 12, 2011, 10:22 AM

Welcome to the forum Smiley

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #19 - October 12, 2011, 04:10 PM

Welcome,

As I said before, if it weren't for this wonderful thing called the internet that I browsed as a bored teenager I most likely wouldn't have found these free thinkers and what they had to say about the world. I'm glad I live in a time such as this (I know how corny that sounds) because I most likely would have been stuck in a mental prison.

I agree, without the internet I doubt I would have apostated. Or if I did I wouldn't have access to the support, insights and inspiration that I've come across since apostating.
     Reply #20 - October 12, 2011, 04:20 PM

Welcome Toronto Kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuvPpzPiIec

the good part of Canada?

Montreal?

fuck you
     Reply #21 - October 12, 2011, 08:46 PM

Welcome agentwar!

Richard Dawkins

This guy influenced me too, only to care more about being atheist.

p.s respect for the ryu avatar.  Afro

n = 0 : n + [1,1,1...]
     Reply #22 - October 12, 2011, 09:14 PM

Dude. I LOVE your avatar. Where'd you find the sprite?  bunny

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
     Reply #23 - October 13, 2011, 05:28 AM

Montreal?

Cheesy

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #24 - October 13, 2011, 11:34 AM

haha colonel, I just watched the sketch. Also, Montreal is pretty cool JC, love the fact that you can enjoy a drink in public. Plus I never see cops at night there, at least all the times I've been.

Reply #25 - October 17, 2011, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Glad to see some fellow Canadians and GTA residents here as well. To answer your question JC, I haven't really explored much of Canada beyond Niagara, Ottawa and Montreal, at least not yet. If I'm on the west coast I'll know who to call though.  cheers Also, I couldn't agree more canex, but I hang in there lol. I think we should organize some sort of meetup in the future..I don't know when and where but we should! 13

well apparently there was a meetup of GTA people recently, but me and some others missed out. keep your eyes peeled in case there is a new one coming up.

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #26 - October 17, 2011, 05:50 PM

Ohai~
    I like how you had to tell us you're straight. Cheesy
     Reply #27 - October 18, 2011, 05:49 AM

haha I didnt even realize why I was so specific, but I guess my following reply has something to do with it. One thing I forgot to mention in my intro post (and this was another reason that contributed to my apostasy) was a few years ago I found out through some other family members that one of my cousins (male - and I was shocked to hear it was true) was gay. Obviously, he was in the closet, just imagine the stigma he'd have to face opening up to nearly a dozen extended Muslim families (yea I have a huge family on my mothers side).

Now, before my stance on homosexuals (under Islam) was that something was was wrong with them, that and well I just couldn't understand how someone could have a hard-on for someone of the same sex. Later on, I started to become a bit more educated on the subject. I minored in psychology during my uni education and came across studies on gender identity/sexuality and learned a little bit about how people are usually born that way, it necessarily isn't by choice. Factor that into other free thinking influences at the time and I couldn't accept the fact that people should burn in hell for something they really have no control over...it just wasn't right.

So there you have it. I also wanted to mention that part of the reason why I joined CEMB was that I hoped to find someone (yes yes I'm talking to you ladies lol) like minded enough to befriend and maybe develop a relationship with. I did look at the relationship thread but it seems pointless to post there haha. That and I guess it also seems a bit unreasonable what I'm trying to find in a girl anyways. I mean an ex-Muslim closet agnostic/atheist girl is about as rare as finding gold in your backyard. Snap out of it Although, it wouldn't hurt to hope right? Lol

Reply #28 - October 18, 2011, 06:00 AM

I mean an ex-Muslim closet agnostic/atheist girl is about as rare as finding gold in your backyard. Snap out of it Although, it wouldn't hurt to hope right? Lol

You live in Toronto. Shouldn't that be like the San Francisco of closet ex-muslim girls? I wouldn't be that surprised if you happened to find that kind of "goldmine" in your backyard. But anyway, good luck.  Smiley

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #29 - October 18, 2011, 06:07 AM

I mean an ex-Muslim closet agnostic/atheist girl is about as rare as finding gold in your backyard. Snap out of it

Not really Tongue There's plenty. You just have to find them Tongue

Also, try posting here. Might help Tongue

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »