Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Gender is a social construct argh!

(Read 20711 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Gender is a social construct argh!
     Reply #90 - October 03, 2011, 03:48 PM

Firstly, let me put my hands up and say sorry for my blacks run faster, even when I was writing it I was familiar with this article I read a  month ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14679657

Perhaps it was because one was forced to go on the back foot when someone labels you are racist, especially an anti-semite.

Furthermore if you take the statistics that most crime street crimes (in the UK) are carried out by young black males would only be racist if I said  "Young black males are the ones who carry out street crime".
     A statement like this is racist if it points an accusing finger at all the members of a particular racial group. There might be racial trends, but there can never be racial omni-types.

so when I cite jews, I don't mean all of them.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #91 - October 03, 2011, 03:57 PM

And as for evidence that two-parent families are better (in the UK at least)

Polling for Breakdown Britain found that if you are
    not brought up in a two-parent family you are:
    • 75% more likely to fail at school
    • 70% more likely to be a drug addict
    • 50% more likely to have an alcohol
    problem
    • 40% more likely to have serious debt
    problems
    • 35% more likely to experience
    unemployment/welfare dependence

http://www.centreforsocialjustice.org.uk/client/downloads/MarriagePaperFINAL.pdf

I do think extended, kibbutz style families could be just as good as two parent families but the architecture of our city civilisations makes them impracticle.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #92 - October 03, 2011, 04:25 PM

But how big are their penises?

I didn't realize you are that much into cocks. Good for you!

Thanks for the welcome back Q.

Furthermore if you take the statistics that most crime street crimes (in the UK) are carried out by young black males would only be racist if I said  "Young black males are the ones who carry out street crime".
    A statement like this is racist if it points an accusing finger at all the members of a particular racial group. There might be racial trends, but there can never be racial omni-types.

Problem with the above is that there is no racial trend as such.

It is an issue of "lives in an area of high population turnover with a mixture of poor people and affluent trendies".

Research carried out by Fitzgerald and Hale suggest that street crime is much more likely in areas in which there is a high population turnover and a combination of young people living in poverty alongside others who are not just more affluent but also trendy enough to own gadgets like latest mobile phones or iPods that are both valuable and possess street cred.

Where such areas contain large numbers of poor young whites, they too are over-represented in the robbery figures.

Reply #93 - October 03, 2011, 04:34 PM

Problem with the above is that there is no racial trend as such.

It is an issue of "lives in an area of high population turnover with a mixture of poor people and affluent trendies".

Research carried out by Fitzgerald and Hale suggest that street crime is much more likely in areas in which there is a high population turnover and a combination of young people living in poverty alongside others who are not just more affluent but also trendy enough to own gadgets like latest mobile phones or iPods that are both valuable and possess street cred.

Where such areas contain large numbers of poor young whites, they too are over-represented in the robbery figures.

Wonder how such a study would play out in the US. While most property crimes occur in areas like that, it seems most drug crimes and murders/shootings occur in the poor ghettos. A lot of the violent crimes in the US aren't related to theft or drug dealing, just personal beefs. For example in my neighborhood in Philly you're much more likely to catch a stray bullet when two guys start beefin, but your car is safer than it is in Center City as most of the people rippin them off would much rather steal from downtown where they aren't known than from their own neighborhoods.

fuck you
     Reply #94 - October 03, 2011, 04:50 PM

Lol, my bad. I forgot to mention street crime in London. Sure that the Met have stats to back that up.

Reply #95 - October 03, 2011, 05:35 PM

Most importantly: if a human were the only human left in the universe, with no information about the existence of any other human...
    Would he/she be heterosexual or homosexual?
    Or, simply neither? ^_^'

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #96 - October 03, 2011, 05:41 PM

He/she would be masturbating like crazy due to lack of nookie.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #97 - October 03, 2011, 06:31 PM

Cheesy Cheesy guilt free and happy!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #98 - October 03, 2011, 06:50 PM

Well in biological terms, the dick and clit are the same thing.

Angry

Dick = organ that looks like extinct deep sea fish sticking out
    Clit = The thing that ate bobo fet in the desert

See Diff-er-rent.

"The words that oscillate between nonsense and supreme meaning are the oldest and truest." - C.G. Jung
     Reply #99 - October 03, 2011, 06:53 PM

Cheesy I just knew that would get a great reaction.  dance

Reply #100 - October 03, 2011, 06:56 PM

thou shalt not disrespect bobo fett...I still think he's alive in there...

"The words that oscillate between nonsense and supreme meaning are the oldest and truest." - C.G. Jung
     Reply #101 - October 03, 2011, 06:58 PM

Reply #102 - October 03, 2011, 07:31 PM

You're not getting it. People can be born gay, but they don't fit the gay role naturally, they put it on, whether consciously or otherwise. A gay guy fits a certain role, look and lifestyle, so does a lesbian, so does a straight guy/girl. Those acts are social constructs.

So doesn't this imply that anyone can be gay by choice? Would a person who is born a gay be happy playing any other role?

I know someone who moved from a conservative Muslim country to the US and consequently "found herself" as a lesbian. Now you'd be able to tell she's a lesbian from a mile away. That doesn't mean she's not really a lesbian, she just became one.

She could have been a latent lesbian. The social construct in her native culture prevented her from expressing her sexuality, once she was placed in a free environment she discovered herself.

Even I changed a lot since moving to a totally different culture. It doesn't mean I'm not myself anymore, I just became different. I've tried so hard going back to my old self, but there's no going back, because the guy four years ago is not the same guy today.

Huh? mysmilie_977 Change is the law of nature.There are some aspects of your personality that are amenable to change while there are others that are immutable.

Our personalities are social constructs, literally acts we perform to fit the role we believe best reflect us in the society we're living in.

It would be more correct to say that personas are social constructs.
    PERSONALITY=PERSONA + INNATE QUALITIES
    Otherwise individuality would reduce to being a mere difference of physical attributes.
    Even identical twins are not same in all respects.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #103 - October 03, 2011, 07:50 PM

But how big are their penises?

dance

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #104 - October 03, 2011, 08:13 PM

It's like hypocruficier didn't read anything I said. Well, ain't that a surprise.
     Reply #105 - October 03, 2011, 08:40 PM

If all/most differences between males and females are social then, how do we explain the following:

1. There are notable differences between males and females among animals in nature, even insects. These are not presumably the product of socialization.
     2. Humans are products of evolution.

Taken together these points don't prove anything, but they strongly suggest that at least some significant differences between human males and females will be innate, simply because humans got them from their biological ancestors that did not have culture.

And one more thing: those who reject any biological basis for different gender roles say that they are socially constructed. But why did these constructions occur this way, and why (even if there is one or two counterexamples) the vast majority of societies got constructed with roughly similar male/female roles? If there were no biological basis on which culture built, we would have expected a huge variability between cultures on this matter, in the way that we find huge variability in cultural matters for which there is no biological basis.

None of this is to deny the role of culture, which can affect behaviour in all sorts of ways .But it is aimed at claims like "you'll find the difference between men and women are mainly to do with genitals. And that's where the difference stops", which does not seem plausible, if only because the differences in genitals are, in part, the products of hormones and those very same hormones also affect the brain.

Reply #106 - October 03, 2011, 08:42 PM

Culture is a product of evolution. The nature - nurture dichotomy is bogus.
     Reply #107 - October 03, 2011, 08:46 PM

perhaps before puberty it could be put down to social conditioning but during/after puberty with massive increases in testosterone and oestrogen it brings out the male/female.

Reply #108 - October 03, 2011, 08:48 PM

why (even if there is one or two counterexamples) the vast majority of societies got constructed with roughly similar male/female roles? If there were no biological basis on which culture built, we would have expected a huge variability between cultures on this matter, in the way that we find huge variability in cultural matters for which there is no biological basis.

No. There are vast differences in socio-cultural concepts of gender roles, if you actually take the time to study anthropology. What has happened is that a handful of patriarchal and violent cultures took over the more peaceful, egalitarian cultures around the world. This is a simplified version of anthropological studies that you would have to actually take the time to study.

None of this is to deny the role of culture, which can affect behaviour in all sorts of ways .But it is aimed at claims like "you'll find the difference between men and women are mainly to do with genitals. And that's where the difference stops", which does not seem plausible, if only because the differences in genitals are, in part, the products of hormones and those very same hormones also affect the brain.

They don't affect all brains the same way.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #109 - October 03, 2011, 08:50 PM

So doesn't this imply that anyone can be gay by choice

I thought so to.

Reply #110 - October 03, 2011, 08:51 PM

I think the main point is that it's fine to much spinach and/or ice cream whenever you feel like it, but mixing the two simultaneously should be avoided because spinach ice cream would be really yuck. Tongue

Reply #111 - October 03, 2011, 08:53 PM

Good point unless you are the type of person who enjoys spinach ice cream Wink

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #112 - October 03, 2011, 08:54 PM

Reply #113 - October 03, 2011, 08:55 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Reply #114 - October 03, 2011, 09:03 PM

They don't affect all brains the same way.

Do you agree that men and women have different brains?

Reply #115 - October 03, 2011, 09:06 PM

FFS. No. Show me a study where anyone was able to correctly identify if the brain was male or female in every case without knowing beforehand. Show me a study of male and female brains that belonged to people who were not shaped by social constructs through their lives. IOW, first find humans that were raised without social constructs, pressures and expectations, then study if their brains are different, then you may have a case. As long as the brains you are studying are formed within societies that have gender norms and other norms, you have nothing but confirmation bias.

Reply #116 - October 03, 2011, 09:08 PM

It been shown that male homosexuals have female-typical brains? They haven't been raised as females, have they?

Reply #117 - October 03, 2011, 09:14 PM

No it has not been shown that. It has been shown in some cases that that may be true. But are they showing these characteristics because they have "female" brains or because they adopt stereotypical feminine traits? In other words, it's the chicken and the egg argument. You are saying there is such a thing as a "male brain" and a "female brain" outside of our assumptions of what is "female" and what is "male" but those assumptions are what are false, incoherent and not universal. Do you not get this at all? You are basing your conclusions on assumptions that are themselves social constructs!

E.g. you may say gay males have a stronger empathy center in their brain, thus they have "female brains" but why are empathy centers associated with females? Are all men devoid of empathy centers? Are all female superior in their empathy centers? And even if that is how things appear, is it because from a young age, girls are taught to be more sensitive to other people's feelings, while boys are taught to value their accomplishments, regardless of the effects on other people's feelings? You can't take one factor and then read backwards using that as a given, without examining the very bases of your assumptions.

Do you understand any of this??

Reply #118 - October 03, 2011, 09:15 PM

Reply #119 - October 03, 2011, 09:26 PM

Yeah I think I'm done too...

• Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »