Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: why i think the terms 'ex-muslim' or 'former muslim' are fallacious

(Read 9623 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: why i think the terms 'ex-muslim' or 'former muslim' are fallacious
     Reply #30 - August 16, 2012, 08:32 PM

Yeah, but you'd get on Oprah if you were 'emancipated'.
     Reply #31 - August 16, 2012, 08:57 PM

*shudder*

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #32 - August 17, 2012, 03:15 AM

I'll stick with Ex-Muslim. Less letters to type. Less pretentious to say.

This.

Also the original definition of the thread creator is flawed because some people, like myself, converted to Islam by choice as adults.

Furthermore, indoctrination does not make you any less Muslim. If I'm indoctrinated into being a farmer on my family's land, that doesn't mean I'm not truly a farmer.

"The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also."
    ― Mark Twain
     Reply #33 - August 18, 2012, 12:32 PM

@Lynna
    People can call themselves whatever they want, but IMHO 'emancipated' or 'liberated' muslim would be a better label.  It betters describes ones perspective in their disengagement from religion and a freed person, should classify themselves as freed. I think with the label, It would make some of those within the religion perhaps realise they are mentally colonised within the enslavement of religion, rather then 'ex-muslim' which gets the response of of "ohh you're an ex-muslim..........oh it must be cos your parents forced you to go mosque as  kid " or "you're an ex-muslim, cos you wanna get up to endless sleeping around and drinking".

I think discussions are always useful to suggest better ways forward

Well... we both agree that a person shouldt be free to use the liabel they feel comfortable with and that they feel best fits their circunstance. Perhaps you are correct t that some labels would lead to opening up more opportunities for discussion on the matter.  I would think that the opportunity for discussion is more likely opened up by the persons showing a willingness to speak on the matter then by their mere use of a particular label. I would however be interested in some specific examples of situations where you felt you were able to have an insightful conversation with someone you otherwise would not of been able to have except for calling yourself an emancipated Muslim,

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #34 - August 18, 2012, 12:54 PM

I think it's a bit like a battle scar sort of label, this is where I was....and this is where I've come to by removing all the crap Islam piles onto a person usually. Islam might not be a part of someone's life any more at all, but no doubt it has permanently shaped that persons life, their trajectory. It's a significant aspect even though Islam holds no value in their day to day lives, so I understand if someone wants to label themselves as ex-muslim, a part of be regards myself as that as well, but it's not a primary label I associate with, but usually people's background is a topic which comes up a lot in conversations.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #35 - August 18, 2012, 12:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtvUBDiQ9a8

I want so many things in my life.,  

I want this lady types to replace all the baboons with beards & pot belly in mosques.,  And i don't want such women to be a  mother of any one., because she doesn't have time for her children.. But if she moves out of Islam.. She will not be called as Ex_Muslim but former Muslim..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDo7EuOhu4

Hmm he is the number one preacher of Pakistan

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »