Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pop goes Islam

(Read 2574 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Pop goes Islam
     OP - April 17, 2011, 08:25 PM

Just saw this on TV now, I guess Islam can be modernised, I wonder what the salafis think  whistling2

In 2009, Egyptian entrepreneur Ahmed Abu Haiba launched the world's first-ever Islamic music channel. Based in Cairo, 4Shbab branded itself as "Islam's Own MTV". In its first few months on air, the channel shocked thousands of viewers and enthralled thousands more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMI78g8uPcQ
  • Re: Pop goes Islam
     Reply #1 - August 16, 2012, 12:25 PM

I just watched the program

I cant say much apart from an attempt to liberalise Islam but the most interesting part of it is Yasmine Mohsen promoting Islamic Fashion Show.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #2 - August 16, 2012, 12:53 PM

There was a backlash against 4shbab channel from the salafist and conservatives for showing inappropriate stuff, you should have seen a debate between the owner of the station and an islamic preacher criticizing him.

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #3 - August 16, 2012, 02:30 PM

^ How is one supposed to " modernise" an all or nothing religion like Islam..Huh?

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #4 - August 16, 2012, 02:50 PM

I dunno but organising Islamic fashion show just to promote wearing of veil and also that one can wear veil and model is a new thing.

Reply #5 - August 16, 2012, 03:01 PM

^ How is one supposed to " modernise" an all or nothing religion like Islam..Huh?

It is easily done. 

1.  People don't adhere to the text of Islam despite the theoretical arguments.  I'm of Indian descent and well the 'violence' part of Islam is pretty much ignored by everyone... even the imams and muftis.  It's right there in the text and the hadith... but just ignored.  Same place that tells them to grow a beard, tells them to spread islamic rule with the sword and stone adulterers, but they don't do those things.

Islam won't be destroyed by solid intellectual arguments or 'The Truth'.  Has there ever been a mass movement that has succeeded that way?
    That applies to some people.  The truth seekers and philosophers of the day.

But in general, Islam will collapse to the background as it does in many communities over a few generations as people become educated, want to do certain things, dismiss more and more of the controversial parts of Islam they simply choose not to follow.  Islam might always find a home in the ghettoized communities, but they will be at the margins like all ghettoized communities of other faiths.

Reply #6 - August 16, 2012, 03:06 PM

Islam won't be destroyed by solid intellectual arguments or 'The Truth'.  Has there ever been a mass movement that has succeeded that way?

Yes, everything is seeded by ideas and the intellect. It takes generations, maybe even centuries for the implications of ideas to work out, but the intellectual arguments are always paramount.

Christianity didn't just secularise following the force of intellectual argument, these things occurred over a long time, after a chain reaction, and in alliance with social pressures, and the changing landscape and ethics and desires of society. They are intertwined.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #7 - August 16, 2012, 05:17 PM

Sometimes the intellectual bit comes afterwards (in the analysis of history and learning from the experiences), after an intuitive reaction and like you said a 'seed' of an intellectual idea, but it's more to do with such ideas being in alignment with out natural morals and driven by that (at least so for the masses) than the focus on intellectual reasoning. People are influenced/react more by emotions than reasoning, in the general.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #8 - August 16, 2012, 05:21 PM

I suppose it depends on the context of it happening...whether people will be inclined to react with thinking/emotions. Something like the internet promotes a more patient approach, 'secretly acquiring knowledge', rather than one having to fight for their egos in real life interactions...

More tools like the internet would be the way to go.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #9 - August 16, 2012, 05:28 PM

Yes, everything is seeded by ideas and the intellect. It takes generations, maybe even centuries for the implications of ideas to work out, but the intellectual arguments are always paramount.

I certainly didn't mean to imply the intellectual bit is not important.
    Like all movements/anti-movements, the intellectual bit is very important to forming the core ideologies in society.

However, I think the average Muslim will change much more in terms of thinking what is 'moral' and 'right' versus some proof that Islam is false, made up...
    To put it in context, polygamy is one of those that things that is largely removed from many Muslim communities, not by intellectual argument, but simply due to a different lifestyle and the emotion of sharing a man.

By in large the work to make Islam a reasonable religion is already done for us in the Western World.  The competing intellectual movement already occurred in the the West with the enlightenment and separation of church and state... These are not new and Muslims in the West.

So I think a TV station like this does more for helping modernize Muslims than any intellectual argument or anti-Islam proof.
     Reply #10 - August 16, 2012, 05:56 PM

Its not an either / or issue really. And the pressures caused by refuting arguments and denying primacy of divinity go hand in hand with the efforts to create liberal space within a religion.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »