Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: 9/10/11 event

(Read 3787 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 9/10/11 event
     OP - August 26, 2011, 01:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNtcfQL0gc&feature=channel_video_title
  • Re: 9/10/11 event
     Reply #1 - August 26, 2011, 02:16 AM

Id go if I was in DC

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #2 - August 26, 2011, 02:40 AM

So...I'm assuming BYOB

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #3 - August 26, 2011, 11:26 AM

Makes little sense. How are you going to change the perception of Islam by having an event thats pretty darn expensive and only going to attract people that have your beliefs anyway?

Also why are we having a get together of muslims in DC during that time period? seems like for security purposes its not a great idea.

I wish parents everywhere could remove their veil of religion and see their kids for whom they actually are.
     Reply #4 - August 26, 2011, 11:32 AM

I typed in the wrong website
    http://unitedforchange.org/
    instead of
    http://unitedforchange.com

wonder if this is a coincidence?

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #5 - August 26, 2011, 11:37 AM

allahu akbar, this 10 year celebration of our heroic 19 bruzzers will be.. OFF DA HOOK

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #6 - August 26, 2011, 11:48 AM

http://www.unitedforchange.com/2011/04/19/united-we-stand-one-nation-one-destiny/

This conference, which will be held on the eve of September 11, 2011, in Washington DC, promises to be an event of great historical and intellectual significance. We can begin to arrest the forces of hatred, but only if we act, swiftly, intelligently and in a united fashion.

just what the hell is THAT supposed to mean?

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #7 - August 26, 2011, 11:51 AM

allahu akbar, this 10 year celebration of our heroic 19 bruzzers will be.. OFF DA HOOK

Cheesy what are the odds this how it gets portrayed in the right wing blogsphere?

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
     Reply #8 - August 26, 2011, 12:10 PM

Cheesy what are the odds this how it gets portrayed in the right wing blogsphere?

That's EXACTLY what will happen.

Muslims are either immensely stupid or are trolling hard. First the ground zero mosque and now this event on 9/11. I'm pretty sure they all know how an islamic events near this date is going to percieved.

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #9 - August 26, 2011, 02:29 PM

9/11 wounds are really deep and its going to take much more than shoving religious correctness and interpretations in our faces to make up. United means everyone, Jews Christians, atheists, agnostics etc. I doubt they are openly welcomed.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #10 - August 26, 2011, 03:06 PM

That's EXACTLY what will happen.

These Muslims are either immensely stupid or are trolling hard.

Agreed 100% with the above bolded edit.

the ground zero mosque and now this event on 9/11.

Not sure I'd lump those two together.

fuck you
     Reply #11 - August 26, 2011, 03:14 PM

Well I just think that if Muslims are really sincere they'd stay the fuck away from 9/11. Or at least keep any notion of Islam away from 9/11 instead of using it as a cheap attempt at proselytization which is exactly what events like this and the ground zero mosque are.. they aren't attempts to build bridges but are attempts to preach a religion, the same religion in whose name 3000 people were murdered.

I'm not saying that American Muslims need to bow their heads in shame and feel apologetic for 9/11.. not one of them was involved in 9/11 so that's not the issue. But they should have the common decency to understand that even if how americans feel are not fair to them.. any attempt to reconcile Islam with 9/11 or Ground Zero will always be view by a majority of Americans as nothing but pouring salt on a deep deep wound.

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #12 - August 26, 2011, 03:21 PM

What concerns me with American muslims is the "us" and "them"
    mentality, that has gone on for decades before 9/11.

While there are exceptions, for the most part, they make
    no effort to interact with the gen pop of their area.  They
    choose to segragate, for either religious purposes, cultural
    purposes, or both.  I even saw it in my own masjid.

How do non muslims eliviate fears or mustrust if they don't
    have the first clue about people, who isolate themselves from
    the rest of society as much as possible?

Helen Keller
     Reply #13 - August 26, 2011, 03:24 PM

I dunno J&T. I've been to the states plenty and interacted with the Muslim community a lot, especially in Virginia. They seem like a very educated, adapted, and well adjusted bunch. Maybe I only interacted with the better ones perhaps.

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #14 - August 26, 2011, 03:52 PM

There is always going to be a certain degree of insularity in immigrant minority groups, especially recent emigrants.

All minorities have to guard against over-insularity because excessive insularity ultimately harms them most of all.

A certain amount of insularity is not a bad thing - if it comes from a culture of getting your head down and working hard so your children can do well, that is just the process of integration and acculturation.

But its a balance that does have to be observed from both sides.

The question comes when some ideologies tend to actively promote insularity and disdain for wider society. In the UK, Deobandi / Jamaati / Salafi / Tableegi Islam have done great damage to Muslims themselves by promoting insularity and suspicion and hostility towards non Muslims and wider society, especially in already stratified parts of the country like the northern cities and towns.

I don't know if that applies in America because I don't know enough, but I do know that this kind of Islamic theology or attitude is divisive and reactionary.

So a certain degree of inwardness is not unhealthy per se (look how Chinese immigrants follow a pattern of insular hard working first generation followed by high achieving second generation who enter the middle class through high academic / professional attainment), but when there are hostile barriers to integration, whether religious, cultural or identity-politics wise, that alter this trajectory, then it becomes a problem.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #15 - August 26, 2011, 04:05 PM

Billy.. my dad's parents were both immigrants, and I know how hard
    they worked, against all odds to help my dad and uncles/aunts beat
    the odds of poverty, and have a free and successful life.  They escaped
    from serious oppression.

I also know about the "tribalism" within the factions of the town where
    they wound up moving to and living.  Mainly it was because of the
    language barriers, neither of them spoke english when they moved here.

You really put quite eloquently, the gist of what I was trying to say.
    Thanks for that LOL.

Helen Keller
     Reply #16 - August 26, 2011, 04:31 PM

I dunno J&T. I've been to the states plenty and interacted with the Muslim community a lot, especially in Virginia. They seem like a very educated, adapted, and well adjusted bunch. Maybe I only interacted with the better ones perhaps.

the economic profile for a Muslim in America is actually higher than the average non Muslim in the US.  Most polls show Muslims are more patriotic and identify more with the US than the average American does.  The odds of ant kind of separatist movement in the US is 0.  The most likely way it would happen is with dumb duck evangelists advocating a us v them attitude that forces Muslims to coalesce behind a Muslim identity as opposed to an American one.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »