Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Making the atheist/skeptic communities more welcoming

(Read 3011 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Making the atheist/skeptic communities more welcoming
     OP - August 13, 2011, 08:34 PM

Could anyone help me with ideas on this?

I’m chairperson of Atheist Ireland. We hosted the recent World Atheist Convention in Dublin along with Atheist Alliance International.

I am preparing an online discussion document about how we can make the atheist / skeptical / freethinking / humanist communities equally welcoming, inclusive and enjoyable for all people who broadly share our self-identifications and goals. This is not about converting people to our points of view. It is about helping to get more people, who already share our points of view, actively involved in our groups and activities and discussions.

I would like to include some of your thoughts on the questions below. You don’t have to answer each question specifically: they are just triggers for whatever feedback that you feel might be most useful, to help shape an online discussion document for wider debate.

(a) Our groups and activities: How can we make these equally welcoming, inclusive and enjoyable for every interested person, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, disabilities, and civil, family or social status? How can we identify and tackle any prejudices we might have, or any discriminations we might enable? How can we respect each person as an individual rather than as a stereotype of either a minority or majority category? How can we empower each person to overcome fears and to participate confidently?

(b) Our internal discussions: How can we make these welcoming, inclusive and enjoyable, while also encouraging robust, objective, evidence-based debate? How can we critically address ideas using evidence, reason, skepticism, humor and even ridicule, while also showing empathy and respect for the people proposing the ideas? How can we work together to objectively examine our subjective opinions? How can we agree, or agree to differ, about how best to pursue broadly the same goals? How do online discussions differ from real life discussions?

I’d welcome general feedback and/or specific suggestions for actions. I hope this process will be constructive and forward-looking, and that it will help our communities to evolve in a positive way. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
  • Re: Making the atheist/skeptic communities more welcoming
     Reply #1 - August 13, 2011, 08:52 PM

Generally speaking I think the rules of the CEMB forum could be a guidance. Openness, free discussions, freedom of speech, a good welcome to anybody, no matter what indeas he/she has. Do not discriminate yourself! Dogmaticals will show themselves when you give them room. Only one goal: give a platform to all who don't need religion for their life.
    My toppence......

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #2 - August 13, 2011, 09:34 PM

I don't know about you but these questions sound a little stupid. I mean for question 1 it's like he's saying "how do we not be racist?" just don't be! And no matter how inclusive you try to make all your activities, it's still gonna leave some people out. Family activities is gonna leave singles or childless couples out. Adult activities is going to leave families out. For any activities that involve couples, how about making a poster of genderless couples. But then that would leave the polygamists out.

But on a serious side, here's what I have. I remember going to the Royal Ontario Museum once to see the exhibition of science in the medieval Islamic world. Maybe they could make an exhibition of famous atheist around the world old and new (they could learn about al ma'arri for example)

How do our online discussions differ from real life discussions? When you're online you don't have to be afraid of what people think of you when you share your ideas, especially when people don't know your real identity. Online discussions also means that it's useless to be an asshole, all what matters is whether or not you made a good point. I don't really know how this ties in with the convention. But there are two rules I find most essential when debating:
    1. Don't tell your opponent he's stupid for making a argument that you think is stupid.
    2. It's not enough to just say "your argument is stupid" but explain why you believe it's stupid.

I'm not into the whole atheist convention anyway, especially when it's in a place like Dublin. It's like having a Catholic convention in the Vatican, or a Muslim festival in Pakistan.

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #3 - August 13, 2011, 10:04 PM

I mean for question 1 it's like he's saying "how do we not be racist?" just don't be!

lol... true! You reminded me of this sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhQGzeiYS_Q
     Reply #4 - August 13, 2011, 10:14 PM

How can we make these equally welcoming, inclusive and enjoyable for every interested person, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, disabilities, and civil, family or social status? How can we identify and tackle any prejudices we might have, or any discriminations we might enable?

By relaxing a little?
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »