Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: ARE THERE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS IN THE QUR'AN?

(Read 7047 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • ARE THERE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS IN THE QUR'AN?
     OP - October 14, 2011, 01:19 PM

Are there any Grammatical Errors in the Qur'an?

(Sorry for the caps, but I want to get this over and done with, soon - thus the emphasis)
  • Re: ARE THERE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS IN THE QUR'AN?
     Reply #1 - October 14, 2011, 02:05 PM

There are a few grammatical anomalies, but most will brush them off claiming that Arabic grammar wasn't really standardised then, or that the Qur'an defines what is grammatically correct, etc. Nevertheless, here's one from Q. 2:177:

وَٱلْمُوفُونَ بِعَهْدِهِمْ إِذَا عَاهَدُواْ وَٱلصَّابِرِينَ فِي ٱلْبَأْسَآءِ

Wal moofoona bi3ahdihim idha 3aahadoo was saabireena feel ba'saa'i

And those who fulfill their covenants when they make them and the patient ones in hardship.

Now the word 'saabireena' is in the accusative case, when there's really not much of a reason for it to be. It's not preceded by an accusative particle, nor is it the direct object of a verb. Notice also that the other masculine plural noun 'moofoona' is in the nominative case, as it should be, here indicated by the 'oon' suffix, as opposed to the accusative suffix on the word saabireen.' You can find mention of this in Ma'ariful Qur'an's tafseer of the verse.
     Reply #2 - October 14, 2011, 02:19 PM

^ Anomalies is probably the best way to put it, yeah.

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
     Reply #3 - October 14, 2011, 02:38 PM

didn't they decide what is grammatically correct based on the quran? and so the quran is grammatically perfect by definition?
     Reply #4 - October 14, 2011, 02:44 PM

That's a bogus argument put out by apologists. The fact is though, that the rules of Arabic grammar have been defined outside of the Qur'an, and the Qur'an cannot be the basis of this system as there are numerous examples in the Qur'an that completely fly in the face of it, like the one I gave.
     Reply #5 - October 14, 2011, 02:47 PM

Simply put, if the Qur'an alone were the source of standard Arabic grammar, then said grammar would have self-contradictory rules, because the Qur'an itself is not completely consistent in their application.
     Reply #6 - October 14, 2011, 03:42 PM

Are there any Grammatical Errors in the Qur'an?

(Sorry for the caps, but I want to get this over and done with, soon - thus the emphasis)

There are lots of "anomalies" - I regard them as grammatical errors - but Muslims will explain away in one way or another. We've discussed this a few times. I have mentioned some in my videos - but generally avoid trying to "prove" there are grammatical errors as it is futile. However this is from a previous thread:

Hi Lightrays,

I don't normally discuss the grammatical errors in the Qur'an. Firstly because it had nothing to do with me rejecting Islam and secondly it is futile trying to prove there are grammatical mistakes since we are against 1400 years of Muslim Arabic scholarship who's sole purpose is to defend the Qur'an and turn every mistake into an example of the Qur'ans miraculous eloquence. Arabic grammar did not exist in written form before the Qur'an - and existed only in the conventions of the Arab language as spoken and found in pre-Islamic poetry. After the Qur'an Sibawayh and others codified the Arabic language and of course highlighted every apparent 'anomaly' of the Qur'an showing how it was in fact a form of unattainable eloquence and often inventing grammar rules to explain it.

Having said that - here's one of my favourite grammatical mistakes. It's my favourite because it's so obviously wrong and the explanations put forward by the grammarians are so laughably contrived.

When one has the particle "Inna (َّإن) it has to take the subject in the accusative ( نصب ). For example  إنَّ الولدَ  or in the case of a plural noun: إنَّ الطَيَّارين

The Qur'an in two verses - has the the word الصَّابِئِينَ correctly conjugated. Baqara 62 and then in al-Hajj 17

{62} إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَالَّذِينَ هَادُوا وَالنَّصَارَى وَالصَّابِئِينَ مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَالِحًا فَلَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِنْدَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ

{17} إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَالَّذِينَ هَادُوا وَالصَّابِئِينَ وَالنَّصَارَى وَالْمَجُوسَ وَالَّذِينَ أَشْرَكُوا إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَفْصِلُ بَيْنَهُمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ شَهِيدٌ

But in al-Ma'ida 69 it says:

{69} إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَالَّذِينَ هَادُوا وَالصَّابِئُونَ وَالنَّصَارَى مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَالِحًا فَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ

As you can see the word الصَّابِئُونَ is incorrectly conjugated.

Reply #7 - October 14, 2011, 03:47 PM

btw if Muslims are going to claim that there cannot be any grammatical errors since the Qur'an is the standard by which Arabic Grammar is held up to - then they have no basis for claiming it is grammatically perfect - since there is no objective standard to test this claim.

To say the Qur'an is grammatically perfect because the Qur'an sets the standard of Arabic grammar is a circular argument.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »